• Published 10th Mar 2016
  • 3,520 Views, 29 Comments

Sunset's mother, Celestia - miiohau



It’s never easy to get along with one’s parents. It’s even harder when they gave you way and denied you your birthright. This is the story of Sunset Shimmer and how she fell out with and returned to speaking terms with her mother Princess Cele

  • ...
14
 29
 3,520

Prolog

Dear Diary, I have just written three most hurtful words I ever could ‘Dear Princess Celestia’. Not for their content but for who I said them to. My mother Princess Celestia.

I know what you are thinking. How could Princess Celestia have a daughter? How can I hate such a caring mare? And I do hate her, well dislike her at this point. OK I am ambivalent but I have my reasons. Number one is how could she cover up my existence! I didn’t even know she was my mother until she broke down and told me when I was nine. Nine! I had already been her student for three years! Three years!

I guess that’s where it started. The ambition, the greed, the feeling better than anypony else, the desire to prove to my mother I was a worthy daughter.

Maybe I better start at the beginning, I was born Princess Sunset Shimmer, heir apparent of the throne of the sun (not that mom was dying any time soon). I wasn’t even five minutes old when my title and name was stripped from me! I was taken from the palace and placed in the Canterlot orphanage. I spend the next nine years as Glow Light, daughter of Star Light, sister of Night Light (Ya, Ya, laugh it up. Twilight is my cousin, not that I am going to tell her that any time soon). At age six I passed the test for Celestia’s school for gifted Unicorns with flying colors when I correctly identified the dragon egg as a fossil and unhatchable (How Twilight to managed hatch it I will never know, but I bet they are using a rock painted to look like a dragon egg now).

Three years later I found out not only was that I adopted, but I was the daughter of Princess Celestia. Needless to say this caused drama with both my mothers. From then on I was not only Princess Celestia’s student but her heir and a future princess. My feelings of entitlement only increased when I found out she was grooming me to lead the elements of harmony as the element of magic.

Actually that bears explaining in more depth. It was just after Cadence’s ascendance to an alicorn. I didn’t take that well, especially when I heard mom was adopting Cadence. At that time (still even) I wasn’t officially Celestia’s daughter. I thought she was replacing me. I thought I wasn’t good enough.

Celestia comforted me in her special way when she found out. She told me that due to certain historical conditions, no pony outside the nobility was supposed to be able to ascend to alicorn. But Cadence was a commoner and orphan with nothing actually known about her birth parents. If she had been introduced to the court without her lineage known, all the nobles would have fought among themselves about whose family she belonged in and thence whose family got the political power that comes with a princess. But since Celestia adopted her, all the power stayed with her and her sister. Don’t get me wrong. The nobles still fought but merely for the prestige of giving birth to an alicorn.

Next she told me about her sister and what happened back then; about the Elements of Harmony and my part in saving Luna. I was excited. I was going to be a hero. I was going to wield the most powerful magic of pony kind. I was going to reunite Celestia with her sister. The fact that there were supposedly five others that were to help didn’t seem important at the time. I was going to be a hero and princess like my mother. If five others were going to help, it didn’t matter. It was obvious I was going to do the heavy lifting.

Now where was I? Right, feelings of entitlement. In my later years under Celestia I was obsessed with the elements and princesshood/alicornhood. It all culminated in those last few weeks when Celestia showed me the mirror to the human world. Among its powers is the ability to show the future of a pony. For me it showed me with wings but in shadow. At the time I thought it was showing me as a princess, but I now think it was showing a pony version of my demon form. When I asked what the mirror was, Celestia kept dismissing it, saying I wasn’t ready (and I wasn’t).

Later that week, after exhausting the rest of the library, I snuck into the forbidden section. I found that the mirror was an artifact of Star Swirl the Bearded to show ponykind the infinite possibilities of the universe. Then I moved on to ascension. Just when found out that one Alicorn can ascend another pony to alicornhood, mom found me. We fought, I demanded she make me a princess, she told me I wasn’t ready. I threw a book at her. She banished me from the castle. Then I made the dumbest decision of my life, next to, you know, stealing the Element of Magic, becoming a demon and trying to take over Equestria with an army of teenage zombies (I have no idea what I was thinking with that last part). I knocked out the guards that were escorting me out of the castle and dived through the mirror. One hour later, at the stroke of midnight, the portal closed and wouldn’t open for another thirty moons. So I guess by the time mom found out I was missing, it was already too late. I wonder how she felt when she found out. I bet she was heartbroken. Good. She deserved it.

No, Sunset, you are reformed now no plotting revenge on the mare that…. That…. That abandoned you. That left you… That threw you out like the trash! Breathe, Breathe. It’s in the past. Sure, like that’s any comfort.

Where was I? Right, leaving Equestria.

Most of the rest, you already know. Twilight saved Luna. I spread pictures of Applejack in a pig pen covered in mud around the school. Twilight defeated Discord. I shoved Fluttershy into a locker. Twilight stopped a changeling invasion. I broke friendships right and left. Twilight became a princess. I stole her crown. And finally Twilight saved me from myself and gave me the best friends anybody could ask for.

My past is not today. Hee, that is easy to say but I still have a lot of work to do. I figure I owe Fluttershy about fifty more hours of volunteering at the animal shelter; Pinkie about five parties; Applejack four cases of warm apple cider; Rarity seven dresses; and Rainbow three games of… any sport really. I know, I know, I shouldn’t keep track, just do what good friends do, but they are my friends. They helped me turn my life around. They were there for me when nobody else was.

Mom. Why did you give me away? You never told me. You kept saying it wasn’t important. If it wasn’t important why did you never adopt me? Even after my quote unquote parents died. I know why. It was politics. It was all politics! If anypony heard you had a child, let alone a daughter, they would all be trying to take advantage in one way or another. And you couldn’t have that. No, you couldn’t spend the time protecting me. You couldn’t spend the time raising your daughter. You couldn’t spend time with me.

-excerpt from Sunset Shimmer’s diary