• Published 3rd Mar 2016
  • 255 Views, 5 Comments

Winterspell - LolianTriforce



The long lost tale of Star Swirl's love has remained a legend for years.... Until now.

  • ...
1
 5
 255

Chapter 4: An Old Friend

The cold breeze of the winter winds on the mountain flew through Fury’s mane. It ruffled his feathers and blew through his fur. He dreaded the thought of the warm Equestrian air beating down on him through the day, but this was important. He must report this to Princess Celestia directly himself.

Beside him drifted Fortune, whose hair gently glided behind her in a big, fluffy cloud. Her blue eyes shimmered in the sunlight and made her more radiant than ever. She would glance back towards the castle every now and then. He had forgotten that she had not left the castle since he had brought her there a year or two ago.

They flew past Cloudsdale and Ponyville until they reach Canterlot, the capital of Equestria itself. Many ponies watched them in awe as they flew over, making Fortune very bashful. Landing in front of Canterlot castle, Fortune kept close to Fury with her mane hiding her eyes.

Celestia had heard they were on their way when a pegasus reported their presence outside of Cloudsdale.

“It had been a while, Winter Fury,” Celestia greeted him.

“Yes, it has,” he replied.

“What brings you to Canterlot?” Celestia inquired as they began to walk into the castle.

“Unfortunately, it is not good news,” Fury answered as he and Fortune walked with the princess. “Last night I was awoken by a sense of magic.”

Celestia walked into a conference room with soundproof walls. Once they were all in, Celestia closed and locked the door.

“What sort of magic?”

“Unicorn magic. The puzzling thing was it was more powerful than Alicorn magic, but it didn’t come from an Alicorn.”

“How is this possible?”

“I’m not sure. All I know is the magic wasn’t made in this world. It was from somewhere else. It was so powerful, it crossed dimensions.”

Celestia’s eyes widen.

“You don’t think… That Winterspell was the one who casted the magic… Do you?”

“It’s possible, your highness,” Fury answered. “She’s a smart mare and was very good with magic, especially when she took lessons from one of the most powerful unicorns alive.”

“What should we do?”

“If the magic was from her, there is a chance that she might cast some more. If I can get another sense of it, I will be able to open a portal to the world and retrieve whatever is creating it.”

Celestia nodded.

“It sounds like a solid plan.”

Fury bowed, as well as Fortune.

“We must be off, your highness. I cannot stay in this heat any longer.”

Quickly, the couple walked out of the castle and began to fly through the air. However, they did not head home directly. They stopped at the top of the tallest mountain in Equestria. At the top, there was a cave with a dim light glowing from inside.

Fury motioned for Fortune to stay outside, then entered the cave. There were tables covered in potions and bookshelves line with thick cases of literature. In the middle of the room sat a black cauldron, boiling a green liquid over a roaring fire. A cloaked colt stood next to it, stirring a big wooden spoon with his magic. He looked up at Furry with golden hazel eyes.

“It has been a while, old friend,” Fury began, “But I have pressing news to inform you with. I sensed some powerful magic last night, and I believe it might have been Winterspell.”

The eyes beneath the cloak widened and the hood fell back. Star Swirl did not look much older from the day he lost Winterspell, but he had bags under his eyes from lack of sleep.

“Could it really be her?” he asked.

“It’s possible,” Fury answered, “I won’t be able to trace it until she uses magic again.”
Star Swirl rubbed his eyes with his hoof, wiping away tears as he did.

“You do not know how much happiness you have brought me today, my friend,” He softly spoke. “I have longed to hold that mare in my arms again.”

“I will inform you of any news that may come about this predicament,” Fury responded. “Until then, my friend.”

Fury walked out of the cave and flew away from the mountain with Fortune. Star Swirl walked over to a straw mattress in the corner of the cave and laid down for a well-deserved rest.

***

It had finally happened. The last of Star Swirl’s magic faded and Winterspell’s wings had disappeared. She sobbed for nights on end when it happened. She knew there was nothing she could do but put on a stiff upper lip and continue to survive.

The flesh creatures began to wander about the forest as of late. They travel all around, following streams and studying plants along the way. She had to be wary every time they came through. She worried that one day she will be spotted and lose her chances of rescue.

The diamond necklace had managed to slide down around her neck instead of dangling from her horn. It was much more comfortable this way. She felt a little guilty stealing from the creatures, but it reminded her of Star Swirl.

She found herself getting a drink from a nearby stream, trying to replenish her strength. The water cooled her throat and was sweet tasting. She lost all thought at she continued to sip from the creek. She was unaware that the little girl was standing only ten feet away from her.

The small child had a big smile upon her face as she stared at the creature of beauty. Winterspell finally stopped and lifted her head from the stream, spotting the child before her. Frightened, she whinnied and reared up on her back legs, kicking her front hooves. This scared the child, who began to cry out.

Winterspell landed on all hooves and backed away from her. She was petrified to the spot where she stood. She could not move no matter how hard she begged her muscles to give.
Suddenly, the parents of the child were quick to her side. When they saw Winterspell, they gasped in astonishment. The man pulled out a small device, pressed a few buttons, and waited before beginning to talk to it as if it was a living being.

Winterspell whinnied again, rearing back up. The woman quickly grabbed her child and held her close to her. Then the woman spotted the necklace around her neck and her eyes became wide. She said something to the man, but he was too busy talking into the device.
Her muscles finally began listening to her and she galloped away from the creatures. She only hoped she would be fast enough to avoid capture. She zigged and zagged past trees and bounded over rocks. She was going to fight for her freedom and no one was going to stop her.

Comments ( 3 )

If Winterspell was voiced, what would she sound like?

6994881 I wasn't aware Winterspell was a song.

7178014 I can't really describe what she sounds like. It's really up to your interpretation.

Login or register to comment