• Published 16th Feb 2016
  • 280 Views, 4 Comments

Shadowland - mocandragon5



The world has plunged into darkness, and now, a small resistance fights for the right to survive.

  • ...
 4
 280

Leaving Home (Blackthorn)

Author's Note:

Just so you know what the deers look like (Last reminder):

King Aspen:

Blackthorn:

I watched as miss Sparkle rushed back into the cavern, a wide grin on her face. I can only assume she was successful in her endeavor. I was about to head outside when I came face-to-face with King Aspen.

"I have a question for you Blackthorn," He began, "I wish to support miss Sparkle and her friends in defending their city, as we are stronger together. I wish to know whether or not you would be alright with going with them? You see, you are among our best fighters, and that is a skill that will be put to the test."

This surprised me. I had never considered leaving behind my kin, but what my king said was right, we would have to stand together, in the end. I scanned the horizon, taking in every feature up until that point. Even in this darkness, nature tried its best to keep its beauty. I for one want nature to remain as luscious as it once was.

I nodded. "I would be honoured."

"Alright. I will alert miss Sparkle. Make sure you say your farewells and gather up all you need. Before you leave, you will be offered a meal." The King replied, a slight smile upon his face. He then headed towards the excited pony.

I watched for a few more moments as Aspen explained my response to miss Sparkle, who in response lifted up a black cloak and walked in my direction.

The pony was obviously quite happy with my decision as she approached, her smile ever so slightly larger.

"Thank you, Blackthorn." Was the first thing she said. "I hope you thought through the dangers, but if you have, I welcome you to our group."

I nodded. "I have, Miss Sparkle. I will do my best to protect our land and my kin, and as we are working towards a similar goal, I will aid you as much as I can. I suppose your friend is fine?"

"Yes, she's recovering, but she has lost the vampire fame of mind. The only issue is going to be her blood need." Twilight replied. "And please, call me Twilight."

"Alright. Your friend's heightened senses will probably allow her to hunt down some of the smaller wild animals." I stated. "As long as I needn't watch. Also, remind her to kill her prey. We don't need vammpiric rabbits running around. Just so you know, as well, you will receive a meal before we head off, made by our best cooks."

"Thank you again, Blackthorn." Was the last thing she said before she headed off back to her friends.

My first priority was to go to our barracks and take my bow out as well as a full quiver of arrows as well as my armour. From there, I headed to my private quarters, as I was one of the more important members, and stashed my important belongings including a map of Equestria and a map of the area. After packing everything I needed for my journey, I decided to try to find my new group. After looking around the various caverns, I deducted that they were still outside.

I then headed to the most likely place Aspen would bring them to bind their friend, and there they were. Twilight was the first to notice my approach. After she called out my name, her friends turned to look at me. I assumed that Applejack was the one in the robe Twilight had taken earlier.

"Girls, Blackthorn will be joining us on our journey." She explained. Perhaps due to having Applejack back to her senses, as Twilight had worded it, it had slipped her mind to tell her friends.

"Your meals are ready. We will eat then we can leave."

The girls were obviously happy with the news, unsurprising as they were probably unable to eat while being chased. "Applejack, you can find your food in the small forest down there."

"Pardon?" The cloaked pony replied.

"You are a vampire. Vampires do not eat normal food, they drink blood and that's it. You'll find some small animals down there. Don't forget to kill them first." I explained, once more.

With that I lead the others inside, leaving a slightly distraught Applejack in her cloak.

The meal consisted of green plants, mainly, with some oats for our pony visitors. I never quite understood why we kept a store of that food.

Pinkie Pie was the first to finish, followed by Rainbow Dash, Twilight, myself and then Rarity. After I had finished, Applejack walked in the front, some blood still on her fangs. She was not looking quite so good, probably due to a sudden change from a vegetarian lifestyle. I motioned a cleaning gesture, and Applejack got the hint, wiping the blood off of her fangs with her forearm and sitting at the table with us.

"I do apologise that you had to eat separately, but we are almost completely natural beings, we would never kill harmless creatures. The furthest we have come from our nature-centric life is our armour, which was gifted to us. We would not have a stock of freshly killed animals, and only the king and I know there is a vampire among us." I apologised.

"It's alright, ah suppose. Ah'll just have to get used to it." She replied.

"Well, while I was collecting my belongings, I had a quick look at my map of Equestria. The fastest way is off the tracks, unless you want to reach Fillydelphia first." I described. "There are no marked problems on the way there, except for some wild animals, probably, as we will be travelling into the wilderness."

"It sounds like we have no choice. We must travel as quickly as possible, unless we risk arriving too late." Twilight said, and I understood her worries. If what I picked up on was true, we would have a few days left until the walls of the city would fall, especially as we move towards shorter days, so that the attacks can last longer.

"Seems we know our path. Let's go."

Comments ( 1 )

6990315 I'm glad you enjoy this story, and I hope you do continue to enjoy, but I do not believe these characters fit in with what I have planned out. They could work in another type of story if they were developed further. If you want help on fleshing these characters of yours out, I am willing to help. Just PM me.

Login or register to comment