• Published 10th Feb 2016
  • 593 Views, 12 Comments

Tragedy of a Nerd - Jack-N-Walker



After feeling sorry for himself for long enough, Jack tries to make up for his past

  • ...
6
 12
 593

7th grade.

Author's Note:

"Hey, once again. Life sometimes passes you by and you regret things...But the best thing you can do is push through this painful life for them. That's what my mom always told me anyway. I should be waking up soon so get ready for some more of my daily life."

-BZZZZT....BZZZZZT....BZZZZZT-

"Right on time, I hope to see you all in the next chapter."

-Monday, March 14, 2011-

As the clock read, It was Monday so school was starting soon. 'Guess it's time to get dressed, and make breakfast for the house....It's quiet and lonely without you Dad...' I sit up, finally pulling myself together after a month long depression of skipping school, and get dressed. "Done, now for breakfast." I begin cooking a proper breakfast for my sister and mother. Ten minutes pass and I go to wake up my sister. "Joan?" I ask as I gently wake her up.

"Hmmm?" She rolls over and looks at me and I see her eyes are red and puffy so I pull her into a hug. As I do she bursts out into another crying fit. "It's not fair, Jack. I want him back!" I pat her back and begin to cry.

"I know...I want him back to, It's hard without him to take care of us, Mom has had to take a night shift to get money...I'm going to tell Mom to stop." I look at her. "I'm going to sacrifice my free time to get a job. You already lost Dad, you still need mom to raise you and comfort you." I pat her head gently. "You can stay home from school, breakfast is on the table."

I get up and walk to the door, whispering to myself, "I'd take his place if I could, Not many people would miss me anyway." As I close the door behind me, I have a flashback of the incident.

-Wednesday, September 22, 2010-

"Dad?" I ask as I enter the hospital room, he looks over to me with his ever present smile and waves me over. "Dad....What happened?" I ask as I see nothing wrong with him.

"Hi, Jack, It's so nice to see you come visit me. I see your mom hasn't told you, I have CDJ. I have no idea how it is pronounced." He laughs and looks at me. "But don't worry, Good ol' Dad will pull through for you kids." He rubs my head.

I look up at him. "Alright. You'd better." A couple of hours later I hug him and wave him good bye as I head home.

-Friday, October 15, 2010-

After school I head directly over to the hospital, Still no signs of Dad getting better, he even forgot his birthday and his mom's name. "Dad? I'm here to see you again." I smile as I make my way over to him.

"Hi Jack, Did you bring it?" I nod and he grins deviously. I pull a remote control out of my backpack as well as a miniature helicopter. "Oh yeah!" He laughs as I bring the table the nurses use to feed him over and place the helicopter on it after turning it as well as the controller on.

'He's been stuck in here so long he hasn't been able to have much fun.' I laugh with him as he flies around the helicopter. "Looks like you're having fun again Dad."

He laughs and looks at me, "You're right, this hospital is nothing but boring talks and meals." My favorite nurse, the one I call the nice nurse comes in.

"Mr. Walker, I've come to check on you." She looks at me and puts a finger to her lips as she winks, "I'll keep the RC helicopter a secret." I smile at the nurse and she looks back to my Dad. "How are you feeling, Mr. Walker." He laughs boisterously.

"I feel well enough to go home today!" He continues laughing and I notice the helicopter hit the ceiling and continue until the battery dies so I take the controller and helicopter then take my leave.

"Good luck, Dad!" I make my way home to do homework as well as talk with Frost over text about tournament plans.

The nurse sighs and looks back at my Dad. He speaks up, "In truth, I'm losing more memories, and my fingers wont do what I want most of the time." She writes it down and pats his shoulder.

"Thank you for not breaking his heart with the truth Mr. Walker. I can't stand to see your son cry. He is such a good kid." She walks out and back to her desk.

The next few months go by without much incident in my visits, the normal half hour to two hour visits to see him smile and laugh.

-Monday, February 14, 2011-

My sister, Mother, and myself visit my Dad for the end of spring break. I walk into the room with them and we all surrounding him, showering him with hugs, and affection.

"Thank you all, It's too bad we all have to be here for spring break." He smiles and kisses our cheeks. "If only they would let me go." He laughs a bit, "But since you're all here we mind as well have fun." And so we did, or at least as much as we could with his limited mobility, and memory loss and inability to remember faces very well.

A couple of hours pass and he looks around are beginning to leave and his heart rate slows to around 35 bpm. Tears form in his eyes as he looks at us. "Hey, Joan, Do you know when your brother is going to visit, he hasn't been around in a couple of weeks." The words pierce my ears but don't register, and it looks to be the same with her so my mom speaks up.

"He should be in soon, Honey." She smiles, and the nurse comes in as well as the doctor, his heart rate slowly declining, now at 20 bpm.

"Mr. Walker, any last words to relay to your family." He nods and whispers to the doctor. As he finishes, He turns back to us and walks over to my Mom, whispering to her, next to my sister and finally after some hesitation to me. "Son...Your father wanted to let you know that he apologizes if he didn't recognize you in the room. He wishes that he could have seen you grow up and marry a beautiful woman."

I nod and the words finally hit me as I realize he truly didn't recognize me. The feeling made me feel dead inside, as if nothing was worth it any more. A feeling I would come to feel every day. The doctor addresses us all, "And finally....He wants you all to know, With his final breath...Never stop smiling."

We all break down to tears as the monitor stops reading his pulse. As we make it out of the hospital my mom turns to us and hugs us. "Don't worry, Just because you will grow up without a Dad, doesn't mean you will be less happy than other kids....I'll be super Mommy. I'll make you two happy again." She decides to leave the matter of him not remembering me to not make an emotional scar on Joan.

I look at my mom and force a smile. "I'm gonna hang with Frost for a while." She nods, knowing I may want some space so she takes Joan home and I go hide out in the arcade, not bringing attention to myself behind a game machine.

"I hate Valentines day..." I whisper to myself as I curl up in a ball. The flash back ends and I look at my watch seeing only a minute had passed and tears were streaming down my cheeks. "I'm sorry Joan...You need a mother to take care of you...Not a brother." I walk to school, avoiding the bus to avoid confrontation with Frost and the others. More over, confrontation with anyone.

The plan is a success all day as I walk home and to my moms midnight job and tell them she wont be going in for a while and the owner throws a fit that he is shorthanded.

"It's gonna be hard to find a replacement." I offer to work and he takes up the offer, luckily it was only selling baked goods in front of the business. I make my way home and my Mom looks at me, with a tired smile.

"Welcome home, Honey." She hugs me and attempts to comfort me. "I stayed up to see you." I fake a smile and hug her back.

"Mom...I thought I was gonna meet you at the baked goods store but they told me they fired you so I came home to check on you." I knew it was a blatant lie so I did my best to keep it as normal as possible so she could look after her daughter. She hugs me tighter and rubs my back.

"It's fine, I'll find another job." She begins falling asleep on my shoulder so I wake her up and take her to her room. She hugs me and kisses my cheek as she lays down. "Good night, Jack." I smile as she falls asleep.

I lay in my room and prepare to lose the free time I have to be lazy and hang around my house. The next day I find myself on the bus not remembering the morning or why I'm on the bus but I'm surrounded by Frost and the others, questioning what happened and why I was gone for so long so I tell them and they change the subject to current events that happened.

"Well, We all missed you lots and got a year older." I smile, knowing why Frost was changing the subject so I go along with it. "Well, I have a birthday in two months so I guess Fluttershy, you, and I are the youngest of the group." I smile and look out the window, blacking out again, responding with seemingly preprogrammed answers to their questions almost as if I was no longer there. when the bell rings I make my way to the Baked Goods Shoppe.

"I'm here to work." He smiles and gives me an outfit to change into so I change and put on a facade of a happy outgoing lad. "Hi, care to try some of our goods ma'am?" And so began my shift as a salesboy. I took all the opportunities I was given at overtime to make the max amount of money, and then the day took a turn unexpectedly as Fluttershy stops by with a questioning gaze.

"Jack...Why are you working?" I look at her and smile, somewhat happy that she came, but hesitant to answer so after a few seconds I speak up.

"Well...When Dad died, Mom took a job she found so I decided that my sister needed a mother to raise her and comfort her not her brother. So I lied to my mom and told her that she was fired from here after taking her shift with overtime." Fluttershy looks stunned and slowly hugs me.

"Jack...You've always been like this. Willing to throw away your well being to make someone's life easier...It's one of the reasons I....I..." She begins to blush and stutter. "That I...I fell in....In love with you!" She holds me close as her words register and I do my best to react calmly.

"Fluttershy...I love you too...But, we should wait a bit...I don't have the experience to think of myself as worthy of accepting your love. We should date other people and see what our standards are to see if we are right for each other...I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I broke your heart. Don't get me wrong, I don;t want to say this but it is the most logical thing we can do right now." She hugs me closer and doesn't let go. "Umm...Fluttershy? You can let go now."

She shakes her head. "No..." She says in an almost whisper. "It's no fair....You can say that you love me so calmly yet I'm uncontrollably shaking and nervous." I hug her back and pat her head.

"I'm nervous as well.... But I'm doing my best to stay calm because I'm on shift." I let her go and she lets me go after hearing that, knowing how serious I'm taking this.

"You're serious when you want to be, It's another thing I like about you," She smiles and nods. "Alright, I'll work with you. And we can date other people to get experience." I smile and notice how confident she was.

"I see you weren't shy or timid when you made up your mind, I guess you're more comfortable around me." She beams with pride as she notices. "I'm proud of you, but don't let me be the determining factor in wanting to work." She nods and sits next to me. I think to myself. 'It's nice not to be alone. I'm glad she is here to be with me.' I continue to work until nine at night and we part ways. "Night Fluttershy," She blushes and turns to me.

"Jack...Close your eyes." Confused, I do as instructed and close my eyes, she leans in and kisses my cheek. "Good night." She quietly squee's like the girl she is and makes her way home. I laugh to myself.

"I should of seen that one coming." I laugh more and make my way home, as I reach home my mom is waiting for me at the table, with a guilty looking Joan.

"She told me everything Jack...I can't agree with what your doing...But....I understand your concern. So...I'll let you man up." She smiles at me with her motherly smile, "My little boy has grown up." She hugs Joan and me, "Do your best Jack," I nod and pull away, making my way up to my room. As I enter my room I begin listening to songs by some japanese popstar that Frost recommended to me.

Comments ( 5 )

Aw... Adorable. Nice job.

This is so sad. :pinkiesad2:

This isn't going to end with suicide is it? :fluttercry:

7179410

No, that is for another story.

Sad chapter, but cute ending

wheres the picture of the story from?

Login or register to comment