• Published 12th Feb 2016
  • 465 Views, 15 Comments

Born of Rock - KidatHeart5



Something’s happened to Holder’s Boulder. It didn’t crack. It didn’t break. It…HATCHED?! The Mane Six and Spike set out on a quest to find the rare stone dragon that hatched from the famous “boulder”. Will they find it in time?

  • ...
0
 15
 465

The Quest is On

Twilight was aghast when she cried, “A stone dragon?!”

Pinkie Pie said, “I know, right? At first I was totally *gasps dramatically*. And then I was like ‘No, seriously?!’ And then I –“

Rainbow said, “Yeah, Pinkie. We get the point.”

The Mane Six and Spike had gathered in the throne room of the Castle of Friendship. The girls and Spike were all amazed to hear what had happened on the rock farm. Nopony even knew that Holder’s Boulder was an actual egg.

Rarity put her hoof to her chest and said astonishingly, “Why, I…I never dreamed that this boulder of yours would actually hatch.”

Pinkie pointed out cheerfully, “But it did.”

Twilight asked, “Pinkie, may we see the book your sister gave you?”

Pinkie pulled out her bag and dug into it while saying, “Sure! Let’s see…It’s right…Ah! Here we go!”

Twilight used her magic to levitate the book to her and flipped through the pages until she found the section she was looking for. She read aloud, “’Stone dragons are exceptionally rare around Equestria. This is because they hide themselves really well and their eggs take about a thousand years to hatch. Just as the stones themselves last almost forever, so too do stone dragons live for a very long time, possibly millions of years.’”

Pinkie exclaimed, “Wow! They can live for that long? I hope somepony remembers to give them birthday parties.” When she realized something, she gasped, “Oh my gosh! That poor baby dragon didn’t have a birthday party! That’s so sad.”

Applejack said, “And all the more reason we need to find it.” She gave a wink to Pinkie Pie, who beamed.

Twilight asked, “Spike, you’re a dragon. How do we find someone of your kind?”

Spike rubbed his chin as he went into thought. He then said, “Well, I don’t know much about stone dragons, but if this one is anything like other dragons, it would’ve probably shed its skin when it was born.”

Twilight chuckled, “Right. I remember when you first molted. I thought you were frozen.”

Spike smiled, “Yeah. You were freaking out left and right and I was hiding under the bed until –“

Rainbow cleared her throat, “Ahem! Getting off-topic here.”

Twilight chuckled nervously, “Eh-heh-heh. Right.” She then asked the pink party pony, “Pinkie, did the dragon chick leave anything behind?”

Pinkie pulled out a blue-and-gray piece of scale and said, “Limestone said this was all the dragon left. What are you going to do with it?”

Twilight levitated the scaly piece with her magic and said, “Starlight used the cutie map to activate Star Swirl’s time-traveling spell. So maybe if we put the scale on the map, maybe it will lead us to the dragon.”

She put the scale on the center of the map and aimed her magic at both the piece and the map. Sure enough, the map levitated the scale to a place near a range of mountains.

Twilight said, “That must be it! It must be moving towards the Smokey Mountains!”

Pinkie said, “Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go!”

Just before Pinkie could leave her throne, Twilight said, “Not so fast, Pinkie. We need to be prepared for an encounter with a stone dragon. It could also move from place to place, so we might miss it.”

Applejack agreed, “That’s a pretty good point. What if this thing doesn’t stay in one spot? It could take us awhile to even find it.”

Fluttershy defended, “Oh, Applejack. It’s just a baby. It’s probably scared and alone out there.”

Pinkie Pie wailed as waterfalls sprung from her eyes, “That poor baby dragon!”

Twilight said, “All right, all right. Calm down, everypony. Let’s just search for the dragon so we won’t have to worry about it anymore.”

The rest of the ponies nodded, “Agreed.”


That night, a sleepy little town was disturbed by a large creature. It just so happened that Flim and Flam were resting in their wagon. Flim heard the sounds of yelling and screaming and almost immediately woke up. He went to the window and opened its shutters. He jumped in surprise when he saw the beast roaming about town.

He called to his brother, “Flam, come here!”

Flam was too deep in his sleep to hear his brother’s call. He snored and muttered in his sleep, “But, honey, I want to sleep in some more.”

“Flam!”

This time, Flam’s eyes fluttered open a bit and he drowsily said, “Brother dear, we need our beauty sleep.”

“Flam!!”

“Just wait until morning to practice advertising.”

“Flam, look out the window!”

This startled Flam and he fell out of his hammock with a start. He rose from the floor, grumbling, “All right, Flim. I’ll look out the stinking…” When he looked out the window and caught sight of the beast, he cried, “Whoa! That is one jumbo-sized monster!”

The brothers then grinned wickedly at each other and said in unison, “Filled with jumbo-sized profits.”
Just then, a light shone on the beast. It was literally made of stone. Its blue gemstone eyes widened in alarm and fright. Its rocky horns were stubby and reflected a blue shimmer. The same could be said about the scales that trailed from its head to its tail. The Flim Flam Brothers yelped when they saw the creature’s face and quickly closed the shutters.

Flim exclaimed, “Flam, did you see that?!”

Flam panted, “I did, Flim.”

“What was that creature?!”

“I’m going to look it up right now.” Flam pulled out a book from the bookshelf and skimmed through it until he found a particular section. He let out a gasp, which caused Flim to be alarmed.

“Brother, what did you find? Flam? Flam?”

A devilish smile spread across Flam’s face and he said, “Brother, we struck gold big-time.”

Flim looked over Flam’s shoulder and his eyes widened in surprise. His face soon mirrored his brother’s and then said, “Oh, indeed, brother.”

Flam remarked, “A stone dragon would be worth millions and millions of bits!”

Flim then sang, “Dragon lava…”

Flam sang, “Dragon toes…”

“A dragon tooth…”

“And a dragon nose…”

“Every little piece…”

“Every little piece…”

“We could make a million by slicing it…”

“Dicing it…”

“Brother, we could sell every little shell…”

“There's enough of it to go around…”

Both brothers then sang, “Money, money, money by the pound…”

Flim sang, “Every little piece…”

Flam sang, “Every little piece…”

“We can take a scissor and clip it up… “

“Rip it up…”

“Every little part is a work of art…”

“Think of what a dragon heart would bring…”

“Wrapped up in a ribbon and a string…”

Both brothers sang, “Dragon fingers can cure a cold…Dragon powder grows hair…With dragon stone, you'll never grow old…”

Flam sang, “Every item is covered with gold…”

Flim sang, “Every item is covered with gold…”

“Every little piece…”

“Every little piece…”

“Dragon, you're our wagon to destiny…”

“You're the key…”

“Every little shred…”

“Moving us ahead…”

“Every dream of ours will be fulfilled…”

“What a dragon business we can build…”

Both brothers sang, “Dragon sediment keeps you thin…Dragon rock is for burns…A dragon tear will clear up your skin…”

Flam sang, “Watch the profits come rolling in…”

Both sang, “Watch the profits come rolling in…Every little piece, every little crease…”

Flim sang, “All lead us to the dragon…We'll buy it up…”

Flam sang, “Tie it up…”

“Drag it from the cave…”

“Show it that we’re brave…”

“We'll bind it up…”

“Grind it up…”

“Lop it up…”

“Chop it up…”

“Can't you hear that jingle, jangle sound?”

“Oh, yeah!”

Both sang, “It's money, money, money by the pound! Money, money, money!”

Flam sang, “Crowns…”

Flim sang, “Sous…”

“We'll have banks…”

“Full of francs…”

“Quids…”

“Bucks…”

Both sang, “In truckloads…Cash…”

Flam sang, “Stocks…”

Flim sang, “Bonds…”

“Bigger shares…”

“Millionaires!”

“Marks…”

“Yens…”

Both brothers sang, “In tens and twenties…Cash…Dragon sediment keeps you thin…Dragon rock is for burns…A dragon tear will clear up your skin…Watch the profits come rolling in…Watch the profits come rolling in…Every little piece, every little crease…”

Flam sang, “Lead us to the dragon…We'll buy it up…”

Flim sang, “Tie it up…”

“Drag it from the cave…Show it that we're brave…”

“We'll bind it up…”

“Grind it up…”

“Lop it up…”

“Chop it up…”

“Can't you hear that jingle, jangle sound?”

“Oh, yeah!”

Both brothers sang, “It's money, money, money by the pound!”

Flim sang, “Money, money, money by the pound…”

Flam sang, “Money, money, money by the pound…”

Author's Note:

Just so you know, the song “Every Little Piece” is from the Disney film Pete’s Dragon.