• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 499 Views, 3 Comments

The Wonderful Pony of Oz - 19Brumby



After being transported to a magical land, Twilight must seek out the 'Wizard of Oz' to return home.

  • ...
 3
 499

Kansas

The purple unicorn raced down the dusty road, her blue and white chequered skirt billowing behind her. She stopped to catch her breath, and levitated a small purple dragon from one of the baskets attached to her back to the ground in front of her.

"Are you OK, Spike?" she asked the dragon, still panting. "She didn't hurt you, did she?" She used her hooves to inspect his arms and head.

"I'm fine, Twilight. She didn't-”

"She almost did, though," she continued as she pulled him into a hug. This only lasted a second as she quickly levitated him back into the basket and set off again down the road.

Within a few minutes her destination appeared on the horizon: a small farm with a barn, a few paddocks and little group of surprisingly luscious apple trees. A few farm workers were moving about the farm, feeding the animals, carrying crops and cleaning the pens. They turned their heads as the unicorn rushed passed them to a white wooden house and threw open the front door before charging inside.

"Granny Smith! Granny Smith!" she yelled as she ran through the house.

"Twilight, would you keep yer voice down a tad?" replied a creaky voice belonging to an elderly green earth pony. "Yer thunderin' could shake th' whole o' Kansas!" The elder mare was very slowly climbing down the stairs.

"But Granny Smith!" said Twilight, not waiting for her to reach the floor. "Spike and I were walking passed Mrs Chunga's place, and Spike accidently set fire to her-"

"Shush yer worriyin'," snapped Granny Smith, now making her way to the front door. "Yer always gettin' yerself in a hussle over nothin'. Now, we have some real troubles." When she made it outside, she slowly but surely marched towards the tiny orchard. "Applejack found worms near the trees, and we need to save as many apples as we can before any damage is done."

"Oh dear. Maybe I can find a spell..."

"Them Dust Apples are magic enough without you zappin' 'em with yer unicorn hocus-pocus! How's it lookin', Big Mac?" she asked a large red stallion.

"Eenope," he replied, shaking his head.

"Granny Smith, I really think you should listen to me," said Twilight, trying to regain Granny Smith's attention. "Mrs Chunga said she was going to-"

"Twilight, ya'll haven't been causin' trouble with Chunga again?" The new voice came from an orange earth pony mare wearing a Stetson. Her back was heaped with several empty baskets.

"Hey, Twilight," said Spike, jumping from Twilight's back. "Why are we living with the Apples? I mean, shouldn't we be with Shining and Cadence or something?"

"It wasn't our fault, Applejack," Twilight answered. "Spike must be coming down with a cold or something."

"Ya'll know how Mrs Chunga hates trespassers," said Applejack as she set the baskets down. "Ya'll need to be more careful when you go near her place."

"I mean, I know the Apples are farmers," continued Spike, "but they're not related to you. Actually, wouldn't it make more sense if Applebloom was Dorothy? Then Winona could be Toto."

"We were being careful," replied Twilight, now very frustrated. "After last time we have to be."

"It's because I was a dog in Equestria Girls, isn't it? But the author prefers the pony universe so I'm in my dragon form."

"Just apologise next time ya see her." Applejack was now loading the baskets with apples that had been brought down by Big Mac.

"But-"

"Twilight! Quit yer whinin' and find someplace where ya'll won't get in th' way!" shouted Granny Smith, also loading the baskets.

The unicorn opened her mouth to say something but then sighed in defeat. She walked away with her head low to the chicken coop, Spike following close behind.

"Someplace I won't get in the way," she wondered aloud. "Maybe somewhere far away from this dusty farm. Somewhere filled with magic and colour, and ponies who will actually listen to me. Do you think such a place could actually exist, Spike?"

"Oh, now you notice me," retorted Spike, rolling his eyes and crossing his arms.

"Spike, it's a non-speaking role. You're not supposed to answer back."

"What's the point of being able to speak if you can't speak?"

"Don't get angry with me. I didn't cast this thing."

"I know, I know," replied Spike, letting go of his anger. "Aren't you supposed to do your song now?"

"They've been cut. The author didn't want to bother with songs."

"But-it's a musical!"

Whatever Twilight was about to say next was forgotten, as she saw a dark shape speed down the road towards the farm. It was a black open top carriage pulled by two ponies of the same colour. Sitting in the carriage was a fearsome mare, her coat like ebony and her green mane sitting just beneath a dark blue bonnet. Her eyes were hard and cold, and were focused only on the path ahead.

"Oh no," gasped Twilight as she watched the carriage's progress. "It's her."

Spike immediately clutched on to Twilight's leg in fright. The carriage had now stopped and the dark mare stepped out and walked briskly to the orchard.

"Smith!" she called as she approached the farmers. "Smith!"

"Mrs Chunga!" exclaimed Granny Smith as she noticed the new comer. "What brings you to our farm?"

"Vandalism!" Mrs Chunga spat. "Your ward and that dragon of hers damaged my fence this afternoon."

"Now listen here!" replied Granny Smith, her anger flaring. "Twilight may have a penchant fer trouble, but she is certainly no vandal!"

"Three feet of my fence was burned to a crisp," Mrs Chunga continued. "The sheriff came to inspect and has given me a warrant-"

"Granny Smith!" The two mares turned to Twilight who had rushed over. Spike made sure Twilight was safely between him and Mrs Chunga. "I tried to tell you earlier. Spike didn't mean to burn down the fence. It was an accident! Besides, only a couple of posts caught fire-"

"Alright, Twilight," Granny Smith interrupted. "We'll sort this out."

"That is why I'm here." Mrs Chunga pulled out a piece of neatly folded paper from her dress and handed it to Granny Smith. "The sheriff is on my side and has given me permission to take away the dragon and have him destroyed."

"What?!" shouted Twilight and Spike in horror.

Granny Smith read the paper over and over. Eventually her face became one of resignation and she turned to Twilight.

"I'm sorry," she said sadly, "but we can't go against the sheriff."

"Granny Smith, you can't!" pleaded Twilight, tears forming.

"You can't do this!" said Spike, overcome with panic. "I can talk! I'm sentient! I'm-! " He was cut off as Mrs Chunga levitated him towards her so he was floating helplessly next to her. Though the smile she was wearing was small, it was unmistakably one of triumph.

"Spike!" Twilight was ready to charge but she was held back by Big Mac and Applejack, both looking disgusted at Mrs Chunga.

"Twilight, maybe you should go," said Granny Smith wearily.

Twilight took one last look at Spike and burst into tears. She ran into the farm house. Once she was gone Granny Smith turned back to Mrs Chunga.

"Now you have what you want, get yer flank off my property!"

Mrs Chunga's eyes widened in shock and quickly narrowed again. She marched back to the carriage and put Spike in a cage at the back before climbing on to the seat.

"Aren't there laws against this sort of thing?" asked Spike desperately as the carriage pulled away. "Help! Isn't there anybody listening?"


As soon as Twilight had reached her room, she flung herself on the bed and cried furiously. She was sure that she would never see Spike again, and there was nothing she could do about it. How could she ever be happy again...

"Um, is there a point to this scene?"

Her pillow grew heavy and damp as it absorbed her tears, however Twilight didn't care. All she could think of was Spike's terrified face as he was taken away.

"Nothing's happening. I'm just sad."

There was no hope in going after him as they would be too far away by now. She wondered how scared he must be, stuck in that small cage, speeding towards his end.

"Finally, a segue."


"Let me out!" yelled Spike, banging his fists against the side of the cage. "I wanna see a lawyer!" He gave the cage an extra hard pound which caused the bars to fracture. "Wait. This is a wooden cage." After one burst of fire, he fell to the dusty road, and the carriage pulled on without him, the drivers and rider none-the-wiser.

Spike gave his bruised limbs a quick rub down and raced back home.


Twilight was still sobbing on her bed, a small puddle of tears beneath her...

"Ew!"

She seized crying when she heard a tapping at her window; she looked up and saw Spike waving at her.

"Spike! You're OK!" She threw open the window and pulled him inside, hugging him tightly. "I thought I'd never see you again!"

"It's great to see you, too," replied Spike, returning the hug.

After a short while, Twilight drew back. "When she finds out you escaped, she's sure to come back for you. We have to get away." She pulled a bag from beneath her bed and began packing. "Somewhere far away. Maybe somewhere without so much dust."

"Do you even know where we are?" asked Spike, adding some of his belongings to the bag. "Are we in Equestria? Granny Smith mentioned Kansas earlier. It would be nice if we could have some clarification." He looked pointedly at the ceiling.

"This will have to do," said Twilight, sealing the bag and placing it on her back. "Let's go."

They climbed out of the window and made their way towards the road, being careful to avoid the farm workers. Twilight gave once last look at the farm, then turned and walked determinedly along the path, being sure to go the opposite way from Mrs Chunga’s house. Spike rode on her back, giving several worried glances behind.

“So...are we just gonna keep going until we come across something?” asked Spike after several minutes.

“I guess,” answered Twilight. She searched around her, hoping to see something other than the vast stretching planes of dust in all directions. She wished she had packed more water.

Spike began rummaging through the bag for a snack. “Is Kansas really like this?”

“I don’t know. I think the author is just going by what they remember from the movie.”

“Really? They didn’t bother to do any research?”

“This is just the beginning. The good stuff comes later.”

“I’d wish we’d get there already,” said Spike, withdrawing his claw from the bag. It was hard to find anything when Twilight was moving.

A short while later something eventually emerged over the horizon. It was a travelling caravan, parked on the side of the road. Slightly faded letters painted on the side spelled out ‘The Great and Powerful Trixie’, and the rest of the caravan was decorated with stars and moons. There was a campfire next to the caravan, a pot of something cooking over it. Tending to the fire and pot was a blue unicorn wearing a purple cape covered with stars to match the caravan.

“Great, food!” Spike hopped off Twilight and ran towards the fire.

“Spike, wait!” Twilight shouted as she chased after him.

The blue unicorn raised her eyebrows as they approached. “Trixie is afraid there will be no show today. You must wait until she has reached the next town.”

“That’s OK,” replied Spike. “We just wanted something to eat.”

“Spike, don’t be so rude!” Twilight reprimanded. Her frown quickly disappeared as her stomach growled.

Trixie rolled her eyes. “Trixie supposes if you must share her meal...” She levitated three bowls and filled them with the soup from the pot.

“What brings you two out here?” she asked as she gave them their bowls.

“We’re running away,” answered Twilight, sadness creeping into her voice. “Maybe we could join you. We could be your assistants. I know a little bit about magic.”

Trixie rolled her eyes again and muttered something incomprehensible.

“Sorry?” Twilight asked.

“Er...would you like Trixie to tell your future?” Trixie quickly pulled an orb from her belongings and set it on the ground between her and her guests.

“That’s a snow globe,” said Spike.

“Are you an expert on divination?” snapped Trixie.

Spike shook his head.

“Then let Trixie concentrate.” She put on a pointed purple hat and waved her hooves over the globe. “Trixie sees...a farm...with workers. One in particular stands out. An older mare.” Her eyes flicked towards Twilight, watching her face carefully. “Her name begins with...B. No, D. G?”

“Granny Smith?” asked Twilight.

“Yes. She is looking for somepony. Somepony she cares for very much. She cannot find her. She is putting her hoof on her chest. There is something wrong with her heart.”

“Is she OK?!”

“Trixie cannot see. It has gone black.” Trixie took her hat off and put the snow globe back.

“Oh no!” Twilight stood up and gathered her things. “I have to go back immediately.”

“Trixie thought you wished to become Trixie’s assistants.”

“I’m sorry, but I have to make sure Granny Smith’s OK.”

“What about me?” asked Spike. “I thought we were running away so Mrs Chunga didn’t get me.” His comments were ignored as Twilight levitated him on to her back.

“Thank you, Trixie,” said Twilight as she started running back down the road. “Goodbye!”

Trixie allowed herself a smug smile as she watched the two disappear from sight. The smile vanished when she noticed the wind suddenly pick up. When she realised what this meant, she sighed.

“Trixie does a good deed and a twister shows up. Why does Trixie bother?”


The wind was soon felt by those on the farm and the alarm went out.

“Everypony head to the shelter! There’s a twister comin’!” yelled Applejack.

No one needed telling twice, as the twister was now visible and whirring towards them. The animals were herded into the underground bunker, and were followed by the farm workers, some carrying baskets with the apples they had managed to save earlier. Granny Smith and Big Mac stood at the entrance, making sure all were accounted for. The winds were now so powerful it was hard to make out what they were saying.

“Applebloom, move yer keister!” shouted Granny Smith to an earth pony filly.

“Why did we move here again?” Applebloom shouted back, entering the shelter.

Applejack soon joined them. “Is that everypony?” she asked.

“Twilight!” Granny Smith exclaimed. “Twilight’s missin’! We have ta find her!”

Applejack and Big Mac scanned the area. The fence around the chicken coop was already being pulled apart by the storm.

“There’s no time, Granny! Maybe she’s already inside?” suggested Applejack.

“Twilight!” Granny Smith called out. “Twilight!”

“Big Mac?” Applejack looked at her brother.

Big Mac nodded. They hated the idea, but they had no choice. They grabbed Granny Smith and pulled her into the shelter, closing the doors securely behind them.

It was then Twilight and Spike managed to reach the farm. The small dragon had to hang on to Twilight for dear life for fear of the winds picking him up.

“Granny Smith! Granny Smith!” Twilight searched the farm frantically for any signs of life. The chicken coop was now completed destroyed and the barn was swaying dangerously. Beyond the barn was the twister which was incredibly close.

“What about the shelter?!” shouted Spike, his eyes screwed tightly shut.

When Twilight found it, she pounded the shelter with all her might, but it was no use. The doors refused to budge. Even her magic made no effect. She tried to shout to the ponies inside, however she couldn’t even hear herself over the racket caused by the storm.

With nowhere else to go, Twilight leaped into the house and went to her bedroom.

“Is this the best place to shelter from a twister?” asked Spike, hopping down.

“I-“ Twilight began, however the house suddenly lurched, sending the unicorn flying into wall. Fortunately the bed was beneath, and she collapsed upon it.

She slowly got herself up, groaning at the throbbing pain in her head. Spike had joined her and was now staring disbelievingly at the window. Twilight followed his gaze and her mouth dropped in shock as she noticed the barn. The fact that the barn was on the wrong side of the house was not the surprising thing. It was the fact that it was no longer connected to the ground, and was spinning in the wind. Twilight realised the twister had finally arrived, and that it had picked up the farm house, and it was flying in the air along with the barn.

The barn soon left the view of the window, and was replaced by a cow, still chewing away nonplussed, as if this were a regular occurrence. The cow looked directly at the house’s occupants, and Twilight felt compelled to wave back.

The cow too was swept away and was followed by a black carriage. The two ponies pulling it didn’t seem to realise they were in the sky as their hooves kept running against the wind. Twilight looked at the rider and instantly recognised her.

“Mrs Chunga!”

As she tried to get a closer look, the carriage suddenly disappeared. The three ponies outside were now flying with newly adorned insect wings, and their legs were covered with small holes. Mrs Chunga’s bonnet and dress had also vanished, allowing her green cobwebbed mane and tail billow behind her. She emitted a large cackle before flying past the house.

Before Twilight or Spike could recover from the shock, the house lurched again, and it started to fall. Twilight and Spike held on to each other tightly, waiting for the crash. It wasn’t at large as they were expecting; more like a small thump. The two looked about them. The bedroom was still intact.

“So, how come we’re not dead?” asked Spike.

“I don’t know,” replied Twilight. She left the bedroom and nervously approached the front door, Spike close behind. She raised a hoof and slowly pulled the door open. A bright light shone into the house and they had to close their eyes because of it. They opened them again and stepped outside.

They had landed in the middle of a small village. There were several buildings, each a different colour, which seemed to have been designed for ponies of a short stature. On the right was the town hall, no larger than the farm house, and instead of trees lining the streets were large flowers of different varieties. The village was situated in a valley, surrounded by bright green hills. In the centre the ground was decorated with a spiral made of yellow and red brick.

Twilight had trouble trying to take it all in.

“Spike, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.”

“Oh, you think?”