• Published 27th Mar 2016
  • 366 Views, 2 Comments

Conquest of the Mark of the Dragon - Fateful Pony



Applejack expresses concern to her friends about Derpibra lacking a cutie mark at his age, but things take a different turn.

  • ...
 2
 366

Preparations

Quite a few hours later into nightfall, Sanctus watched over her acquaintances- Derpibra and Applejack especially, as they rested in the guest quarters. She took some time to get to know his friends before they turned in for the night.

Moonlight bled through the royal gold trimmed windows. The guest rooms, full of luxurious furniture and velvety decor. It helped everypony feel right at home.

Derpibra awoken from his induced slumber, and when his vision became clear, he frowned at Sanctus.

“Hold on now.” She smirked from his quick aggression. “I got your mare in the bed right there. She’s fine. I fixed both of you up actually, so don’t try and kill me.”

He scoffed and dropped his head back onto the pillow.

She chuckled. “Hey, sorry for what happened. If it makes you feel better, I treat all potential new recruits like that.”

“Hmph.”

She shrugged before continuing. “Anyway, that strength you showed me earlier: insane. I was taken back by that you know.”

He rolled his eyes. “Glad I impressed you.” He said sarcastically.

“Look, I know you don’t like me that much, but you need me.” She placed herself on the windowsill, staring below.

He sat up straight. “Heh. What for?”

“I know much more about this island than you do. If you really want to be a hero and stop the darkness, you’re gonna need my hooves- unless you want to wander in circles while you’re here?”

He grunted lightly. “No.”

“Good. Don’t worry, you won’t see backtalk from me- at least not much…”

Ignoring the last part to that statement, he asked: “So what am I gonna be needing help with exactly?”

“That magic you used during the Proving. I don’t know what it is, so we’re going to need to see our King.”

“Who’s the King?”

“His name is Magnus.” She pointed out of the window to an almost too steep mountain. “The tallest mountain in these parts is just over there. That is where our King, Magnus, resides.”

He had a slight limp as he made his way over to the window, then promptly winced, albeit slightly, at the sight of it. “That thing is tall! Even if I were to fly up there, it would still take a long time…”

“You wouldn’t be able to fly there anyways. Even if you could make the trip, a magical barrier blocks the ‘Coward’s Path’.”

“Why is it called that?”

“The barrier serves to protect our Majesty from attacks. That, and he doesn’t want any traveller, old or new, to take the easy way up. If you want to see him, you have to endure one of two paths: The Dragon Trial or The Pony Trial.”

“Tell me about these trials. They sound kinda generic.”

“Maybe. But don’t let the names throw you off. The Pony Trial is a path built for the likes of ponies- in other words, the easiest one. The Dragon Trial… Well, you already can guess it. It’s a trial for dragons, or the hardest one. Depending on which path you take determines how our King reacts to you along the way. Pick your poison.”

“Which path did you take?”

“Honestly speaking, I took The Path of the Pony. But I was much younger then, and a lot weaker. But nowadays, I bet you I can handle the Dragon Path! But… Which one will you choose?”

He struggled for an answer. “W-what am I going to be seeing on those paths?”

“I don’t know. It’s been so long since I’ve been there, and Magnus sure do loves to change up just how insane those trials are. You may end up fighting other dragons or something.”

(Oh shoot…) “Doesn’t sound so bad…!” He feigned a grin with his shaky voice.

“Not every dragon here is a supreme destroyer of worlds you worrywort. I’m sure that even you can handle some of the beasts he will send after you. Anyhow, you cannot go right- none of you can. You need to rest, get rid of those nasty injuries, and suit up tomorrow.”

“Sounds good. Hey… How are you not hurt from our fight?”

“I used a healing spell to keep myself going afterwards. I have to watch the castle afterall. Healing spells don’t heal everything unless you’re a master of that sort of thing. You are resting properly at least, I’m still kinda in pain here.” She cackled at her own statement.

“...Thanks.”

“No problem, I’ll put some word ahead for ya so you can get some discounts. Got any Dragon Shards on you?”

“Dragon Shards?”

“Currency. They are shards of scales made from our King. If they aren’t his, they’re considered fake.”

“How does he make so much for a whole city?”

“He grows them back pretty fast- fast enough to make a currency out of them. Crazy right?”

“Yeah…”

“Alright, now get some rest mister I-ask-lots-of-questions. We got work to do tomorrow.”







The sun’s rays pierced the windows as everypony awoken from their deep sleeps. The room was full of stretches and yawns, and the occasional smacking of the mouth.

Sanctus was awake before anyone else was, and she greeted them with a loud “Shake and Bake!”, causing everyone to jump out of their usually lethargic selves in the morrow.

“Darling, to not scare me like that!” Rarity complained before all the ponies began scolding Sanctus.

“It’s a good way to get you all up! As you can see, it worked.”

Optix let out a drawn out yawn. “You know, I like to sleep into the day.”

“Not here! Too much work for all of us to do! Up! Up!!”

“Ok, ok.” They all said.

“Alright, there’s food downstairs on the royal dining table. The double doors at the end of the hall. When you’re all done, meet in the Grand Hall.”





Sitting at the table, everypony was graced by the presence of Bush Salads and large loafs of bread. Orange juice and a large assortment of fruits and vegetable were in a large stone bowl in the middle of the room. Once they dined in, bellies full, they met Sanctus in the Grand Hall, awaiting further instructions.

“Alright, we’re headed for the Inquisition’s Armory. Since you all don’t have Dragon Shards, a form of currency on Dragon Isle, I’m going to suit you all up myself. There are materials and armors- pretty much anything you can grab. You can either make weapons and stuff or grab what’s already there.”

They all nodded as they followed her to the bottom of the castle. With not a single window in sight, torches had to be used to illuminate the area instead. Once they entered a room full of swords, axes, armor, as well as bricks of iron and whatnot lying about, they seemed impressed with the sight.

“Help yourselves, just don’t take everything.”

The group scattered about the large room and gawked at the impeccably fashioned weapons. They looked crude, with their jagged fang-like constructions- barely any of the weapons had any sort of straight blade.

Derpibra, already having a straight sword, seemed to be disinterested in any of the other ones in stock. Instead, he focused more on the greatswords. He noticed one propped against the walls and consulted Sanctus about it. “What is this sword called? Was it called a Claymore?”

“Yes. Claymores are large, heavy straight swords typically used by paladins. They are meant to be wielded with two hooves, but can be used with one if you’re strong enough.”

He attempted to pick it up, and successful he was. He gave it a few swings, and it seemed to please him, even though it was a slight burden. “I like this sword.”

“Take it then. If you’re meant to save us from the Darkness, then by all means.”

He sheathed it on his back, and briefly looked around before spotting an even larger straight sword. “What is this?”

“A Zweihoofer.”

“This thing is huge!” With it propped against the wall, he attempted to pick it up, only to be flattened by its hilt. “Ouch…”

Optix laughed at him hysterically. “You ok Derpi!?” She lifted the blade effortlessly from his back.

“Yeah. Thanks.”

“Yeah…” Sanctus started. “Zweihoofers are extremely heavy and only used by the most valiant of paladin knights.”

“No kidding…” He cracked his back, feeling slightly relieved.

After some time, everyone found their prefered choices of equipment. Derpibra, his claymore, sword and shield, and light chainmmail armor. He would have gone heavier, but due to his amount of equipment, light armor was as best as he could go. Twilight, wizard’s robes and a Black Dragon staff. Fluttershy, stealth clothing so that she can hide if need be, Rainbow Dash with her light leather armor and bow, Applejack equipped with heavy plate metal armor and a Zweihoofer, Pinkie Pie and her dual knives with bright multicolored robes, Rarity with sparkling medium armor composed of metal and leather and a shortsword alongside a buckler, and Optix with her normal equipment set.

“Are you all ready?”

The group nodded.

“Then lets move.”