• Published 10th Jan 2016
  • 2,197 Views, 132 Comments

The Destroyer and Her Doctor - Justice3442



Debra Hart leads a rather plain life, discounting the disasters caused by her clumsiness on a daily basis. Luckily she meets a man who adds a bit of excitement to her life, though often in the form of other-worldly beings that want to kill them both.

  • ...
12
 132
 2,197

Part 1: The Doctor is in: Epilogue

The Destroyer and Her Doctor

Part 1: The Doctor is in: Epilogue


The Doctor stared at Debra for a beat as his mind tried to catch up with what his ears just heard, something that quite rarely happened in his line of work. His expression was soon lost somewhere in between bewilderment and annoyance. “I can take you to anywhere in the all of creation. Worlds with diamonds as far as the eye can see. Lands with trees the size of cities. Oceans of colors you’ve scarcely imagined… And you. Want to go. To your apartment?”

Debra gave the Doctor a half smile. “Well it’s not like I don’t want do those things, but look at me!”

“I’ve been doing that quite a bit since I’ve met you. Why do you think I want you to come along?” the Doctor asked as if the answer was obvious.

Debra’s eyes opened in surprise at that statement. She was sure it was a compliment of sorts, but the Doctor’s delivery left room for it to be taken quite a few different ways or about quite a few different qualities. She decided to simply press on for the time being. “All I have is a phone, whatever is in my purse, and the clothes on my back. Not to mention said clothes are currently ripped, filthy, and possibly riddled with a carcinogen I’m breathing in. It wouldn’t hurt to pick up a few things.” Debra smirked again as she let her eyes drift over the incredible device she was in. “It’s not like time is of the essence.”

The Doctor couldn’t help but smile at the last line. “Alright, but I'm sure I have some clothes that’ll fit you.” The Doctor’s smile dropped slightly. “I seem to have a weird habit of collecting women’s clothing.”

Debra wasn’t sure how to respond to that. “Uh… oh… okay…”

“Not like that!” The Doctor said in a slightly annoyed tone. “My life is just mired by a collection of odd circumstances leading to women leaving them here.”

“Oh. I see,” Debra said as her worry abated slightly. The corners of her lips tugged downward slightly. “So you have women here often?”

The Doctor rubbed his chin as he considered the question. “That’s… difficult to quantify with all the traveling I do. Time doesn’t exactly carry a very concrete meaning for me, you know?”

“Well… alright…” Debra replied. “So if you’ve had other women here, what exactly happened to them that they all just left a bunch of clothes here?”

The Doctor’s face suddenly lit up into a smile that was perhaps a little too excited appeared on his face. “You know what? Yes, your apartment. That sounds like a capital idea! Just capital! Let’s stop by so you can pick-up a few things. A few change of clothes, a toothbrush… towels.” The Doctor turned to the hexagon consoles in the center of the TARDIS. “A towel might be one of the most massively useful things you can have on hand! Just don’t try to pack everything you own, alright?”

Debra chuckled. “Why? Has someone who’s been here before done that?”

The Doctor loaded a response into the automatic word-gun his mouth often functioned as and opened fire. “Wellaren’tyoujustacollectionofawkwardquestionsIdon’twanttoanswer!”

“What?”

“So,” the Doctor said excitedly as he rushed over the hexagon collection of consoles. “What’s your address?”

“15116 Victory Blvd. Apt. 142. It’s right off Noble Avenue, across from this big neon sign that says ‘Casa Paradiso’.”

Hmmmm, curious…”

“Uh… what?”

The Doctor shook his head. “Nothing. Just… memories.” The Doctor said as he pressed a few buttons, glanced at one of screens in the center of the TARDIS, and adjusted a couple dials. “There we are,” he said as he pulled a lever.

The TARDIS vibrated slightly and hummed gently as the centerpiece of the hexagon consoles lit up and made a sort of rhythmic, flowing, whooshing sound. Soon the TARDIS was calm and silent once again.

“… That’s it?” Debra asked.

“Something wrong?”

Debra shook her head. “That just seemed rather mundane for being inside a time-traveling device that teleports between locations.”

“We just went a few miles!” The Doctor said. “What did you expect?”

Debra sighed. “I don’t know… Something flashier…? I guess…?”

“Well don’t look at me! You’re the one who wanted to go to your bleeding apartment!”

Debra smiled and held her hands in front of her defensively. “Alright, alright. This one is my bad.” She walked up to the white doors of the TARDIS and opened them. “So would you like to come in, or…?” Debra turned to look out the door. “Uhhh…” Debra paused as she took in the sight in front of her: Gray sheets and a yellow comforter sitting in a crumpled mess in the center of a bed with various lady’s shirts, skirts, pants, and undergarments seemingly at war with a collection of books scattered on shelves, set in piles, and laying open on the floor. A wooden desk and wooden dresser also served as battlegrounds for the epic books Vs. clothing war. Her face began to turn a bright red. “This… This…”

The Doctor stepped out of the TARDIS and into the messy bedroom. “This is your room right? I just had to make an educated guess when I—”

“Aaaaah!” Debra practically dove into the room as she placed her hands against the Doctor’s back and pushed him towards the door, half-stumbling over books and clothing as she went. “Out! Out! Out!”

“But you wanted—”

“Oooout!” Debra cried as she grabbed the doorknob, opened the door, and successfully shoved the Doctor outside her bedroom.

‘SLAM!’

Now standing alone at the end of a small hallway next to a solitary tall lamp with a white shade, the Doctor sighed and shook his head. “Women…” he uttered.

“Debra?” a feminine voice called out from down the hallway. “Are you okay? I was so worried when I heard-AH!” A woman with slightly curly, long orange hair that went down past her shoulder blades appeared in the hallway. She wore a long-sleeved green shirt over an orange shirt and matching skirt that went down to her knees. She stared at the doctor with large, emerald eyes.

“‘ello!” The Doctor greeted, extending a hand.

“Hi!” the woman replied in a surprised tone as she took the Doctor’s hand and shook it. “I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you and Debra come in!” The woman retracted her hand. “There was this weird noise from Debra’s room. So I—”

The Doctor chuckled. “I think you did hear us come in, then.”

“I… What?”

“I’m sorry,” the Doctor said. “I don’t believe I caught your name.”

“Oh! It’s Carol. Carol Tine. I’m Debra’s roommate.”

The Doctor smiled and motioned to himself. “I’m the Doctor.”

Carol brushed a lock of curls away from in front of her face and batted her eyelashes a couple times. “A tall handsome doctor, you say? Hehe… So what are you doing in our hallway?”

Smirking, the Doctor shook his head. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

“Try me.”

“Well, Debra kicked me out of her room when—”

Carol raised a hand palm forward. “You’re right, I don’t believe you.”

“Come again?”

“I just can’t believe Debra kicked you out of her room.”

“Oh? Does she have men over often?”

Carol shook her head. “No, that’s why I can’t believe she kicked you out.” Carol looked the Doctor down and then back the other direction until she was staring up at the Doctor who stood over a head taller than her. “Especially you.”

The door to Debra’s room opened a crack and Debra peeked her head out, exposing bare shoulders. She glared at Carol. “What are you doing out here?”

Carol glanced up at the Doctor and turned to grin wryly at Debra. “Flirting.”

Debra grit her teeth. “What?” she growled out.

Carol grin grew into a wicked smile. “Sure. You emptied the fridge and stole all my food, so I’m retaliating by stealing your boyfriend here.”

“… Boyfriend?” the Doctor uttered as his eyebrows raised slightly.

Debra practically exploded out of the door and wrapped her arms around one of the Doctor’s as she glared possessively at Carol.

The Doctor looked down. “Oh, hello!” he said as his eyes lit up.

Carol closed her lips as they continued to extend upwards and outwards. She raised a fist in front of her mouth. The first proved insufficient to contain the building pressure of her laughter and a few errant chuckles escaped her lips.

Debra’s eyelids closed until her eyes were narrow, daisy slits. “What’s so funny?”

Hehehehehe…You’ll figure it out soon.”

Whaaaat?” Debra asked in an irritated tone. She looked up to see the Doctor staring down at her with a mischievous grin on his face. “What?” Debra looked down. “What is…” She trailed off as her face exploded with redness. She was wearing a yellow bra and matching panties, ankle-high gray socks with a bubble pattern on them, and also nothing else. “AH!” Debra retreated into the safety of her room and closed the door until it was cracked open once again. “You could have TOLD me!” she said accusingly at Carol.

Carol laughed into her palm. “The damage was done by the time you came out of your room!”

Debra puffed out her cheeks and growled. “Just… just no funny business, alright?” She pointed at both her eyes with her fingers, then turned her hand and pointed out the door. “I’ve got my eyes on you.”

Carol turned her head behind her to look where Debra was pointing and turned back with a smirk on her face. “I’m sure the lamp is all kinds of intimidated right now.”

Debra sneered slightly as she closed her eyes and flinched. “You know I wasn’t trying to point at the lamp!”

“Oh?” The Doctor replied as he eyed the lamp up and down. “But it looks like such a shady character.”

Debra let out another frustrated growl and closed her door as Carol and the Doctor began laughing.

Carol shook her head. “HahahaSorry! She’s just so much fun to rile up!”

The Doctor smiled. “Well, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of opportunities for that.”

Carol nodded her head towards the entrance to the Hallway. “Come on. The living room should be a bit more comfortable than the hallway.”

The Doctor followed Carol into an open room with a comfy brown couch in front of a wooden oval coffee table and flat-screen TV. The TV was flanked by a case full of DVDs and another full of books and the walls were painted eggshell white with a few pictures of serene-looking gardens.

“Have a seat,” Carol said as she motioned to the couch. The Doctor sat as Carol walked into a kitchen area separated from the living room by a chest high-counter. “Coffee? Or… let me guess… tea.”

The Doctor turned behind him to look at Carol and laughed. “Blimey. How’d you figure that out?”

Carol chuckled. “Lucky guess?”

Soon Carol was setting across from the Doctor on the couch with her legs pointed diagonally away from him and a steaming mug in her hands. The Doctor sat relaxed with his left arm on top of the couch and a steaming mug in his right.

“So, how’d you meet Debra?” Carol asked. “She end up at your hospital or something?”

“Hah. No. Nothing of the sort. We met just met today, actually. At Debra’s work.”

Carol’s eyes opened in surprise. “Oh, right! I was so surprised when I saw you, I forgot all about that! Did you check her out when she got out of the building?”

The Doctor stared at Carol blankly for a second. “… Excuse me?”

Carol chuckled and shook her head slightly. “I mean, as a patient of course.”

“Oh! Right. No… Debra and I sort of saved each other.”

Carol’s surprise look returned. “You were there?! As in inside the building?!”

The Doctor nodded. “Oh, I was in the thick of things alright. Debra, too.”

“Is it true what they’re saying on the news? That it was attacked by giant bugs?”

The Doctor smirked. “Do you believe everything you see on TV?”

“Haha! Stop it! If you don’t want to tell me I’ll just ask Debra. If she actually saved you, I’m sure she’ll be more than happy to go into details.”

“Alright, you got me. Giant beetles the size of Labradors swarmed the building.”

Still smiling, Carol shook her head. “Fine! Don’t tell me. I’ll just ask Debra.”

The Doctor waved his free hand in front of him. “Naw, naw! I’m serious! They would have wiped out everyone in the building if it weren’t for Debra. Possibly more.”

Carol sighed. “Freakin’ city gets weirder every day.”

The Doctor took a sip of his tea and smirked. “If you think L.A. is weird, you should try London some time.”

“Heh. I’d love to… But really… Debra actually saved people for a change?”

The Doctor nodded his head up and down. “Oh, yes. You should have seen it. She was brilliant.”

Wha!

‘THUD!’

The Doctor turned behind him to shot a concerned look down the hallway.

With a slight miffed expression on her face, Carol simply took a sip of tea. “Don’t worry. Happens all the time. It’s best just to ignore it.”

“I’m okay!” Debra called from inside her room. Don’t-come-in-here! she added in a slightly frantic tone.

“Probably best to listen to her,” Carol said.

The Doctor turned back to face Carol.

Carol continued, “Last time I ran in to help her she was face down, bottom up, and naked as the day she was born.” Carol smirked. “Or maybe you should help her.”

Er…Uh…That’s fine. I’ll wait until she’s collected herself and is at her best.”

Carol snorted slightly and shook her head. “Such a gentleman.” She took another sip of tea. “Well, her ‘best’ isn’t exactly a high bar to reach.”

The Doctor frowned slightly. “Well that was mildly unkind.”

Carol eyes flew open. “Sorry! That was mean,” she admitted. “I was just… venting… Debra’s not the easiest person to live with.”

The Doctor’s expression softened. “Believe me, I understand. I’ve made it something of a habit traveling with troublemakers.”

Carol nodded. “Oh she excels at that, but she’s also one of the kindest, sweetest people I know. Smartest, too.”

‘BANG!’

Seriously! Do NOT come in here!

Carol shook her head. “But you’d never guess by looking at her.” She leaned in closer to the Doctor. “Don’t tell her I said this, but Debra’s easily the smartest person I know. A genius even.”

Smiling again, the Doctor nodded. “Oh, I don’t doubt it.”

Something seemed to click inside Carol’s head. “Ahhh… So you’ve noticed it. That explains it!”

“Explains what?”

Carol hid her smile behind her mug of tea. “Why a tall, handsome doctor such as yourself likes her.”

“Well-I-er…” The Doctor quickly cleared his throat and collected himself. “What I don’t get is why she was working at a simple IT office. If she’s as smart as she’s shown, she could be doing a lot better.”

Smile still on her face, Carol shrugged. “Labs don’t really want someone around who's all butterfingers and prone to burning the place down.”

“Has she really burned down a lab?”

“Well… no…” Carol thought for a moment. “I mean… I don’t think she has…”

From down the hallway, the sound of a door being opened could be heard. “Ready!” Debra exclaimed.

The Doctor sat his tea on the coffee table and was up on his feet in an instant. “Well, I think that’s my cue. Thanks for the tea!”

Aww…” Carol uttered in disappointed tone. “You’re leaving already?”

“Yep! Places to go, people to meet, worlds to save and all that.”

“Wait…” Carol set down her tea and stood up. “You mentioned travel… Are you and Debra...?”

The Doctor nodded as he walked towards the hallway. “We’re off for adventures and wonder.”

Carol’s eyes shot open in surprise as she followed the Doctor. “Really?! This is so sudden!”

“Problem?”

“Well… I guess I’d like to talk to Debra and say goodbye fir—”

Dressed in a gray hoodie, blue mini-skirt, gray socks, and black-and-white sneakers, Debra suddenly fell into Carol.

“—Ooff!”

Debra wrapped her arms around Carol. “Goodbye!”

“Debra?!” Carol exclaimed as she returned the hug in an unsure manner. “Are you really going?”

“Yep! I left a check for next month’s rent on my dresser. There’s also a bit more for you and Amy.”

“Amy?”

Debra parted from Carol and nodded. “Give her a call and ask her to help move out my books and stuff. She’s knows all about this.”

Uh… sure…”

“You might want to go out for drinks or something afterwards…” Debra grinned. “I bet Amy will appreciate that.”

“So you’re really just taking off…? Just like that?”

Debra smiled widely. “No time like the present!” she said with a laugh the Doctor joined in on as if they were privy to a joke Carol knew nothing about.

The Doctor waved. “Well, it was nice meeting you Carol.”

Uh, likewise,” Carol said as she returned the wave.

Debra grabbed The Doctor's hand and walked him over to her room’s door. She put her hand on the knob and gave the Doctor a beaming smile. “Shall we?”

The Doctor returned the smile. “Oh, go on then!”

Debra opened her door and the two walked into her room, the Doctor closing the door behind her.

Huh…” Carol uttered as she turned back towards the living room and began walking. She only made it a few steps before stopping. She turned. “Wait, Doctor! I never got your name!” Carol’s nose crinkled as she thought for another moment, it finally occurred to her that Debra and the Doctor had said their goodbyes before exiting into Debra’s room.

‘WHOooooshWHOoooosh!WHOooooshWHoooosh…!’

Carol’s eyes shot open as the peculiar whooshing sound returned from Debra’s room.

‘WHOooooshWHOoooosh…!’

“What?!” Carol rushed over to the room. The sound suddenly changed pitch.

‘Kerrrreeeee!Kerrrreeee!Kerrrreeeeee!’

Carol’s hand hesitated over the knob for a second, then she turned it and opened the door.

The room was surprisingly clean for Debra’s… Also devoid of herself and the Doctor.

“WHAT?! HOW?! WHY?! I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!”

End Part 1