• Published 9th Dec 2015
  • 877 Views, 33 Comments

Spacebound Equestria - TheMajorTechie



After a horrible defeat against Sombra, the remaining ponies board the ship 'Equestrian Pride', and head for the heavens above. What awaits them... is held within...

  • ...
5
 33
 877

Chapter 11: Sunset Shimmer

Sunset Shimmer stood in front of the portal's entrance. She took a deep breath, mentally preparing herself for what was to come upon her return. It had been nearly three years since she had escaped through the portal, and it was only now when she even considered returning. She cautiously touched the surface of the portal, her hand creating minute ripples along the border that divided the two universes.

She took one last moment to look back at what she called home for the past years. "Equestria, here I come."

Upon entering, she braced herself, as she felt her body warp back into it's original pony form. Seconds later, she toppled out the portal on her face.

"Ahem."

Sunset Shimmer looked upwards, her eyes adjusting to the unusually bright light. Once they did, she could make out a figure. "A unicorn..." she whispered, her mind still swapping back to her Equestrian mentality. She attempted to stand up, forgetting that she had now returned to her original form. The figure cocked it's head to the side, apparently amused by her actions.

At last, the figure spoke, stepping closer into view. Sunset could now see that the figure was a lavender unicorn, about average height, and she had an obvious pink highlight in her mane. She held out her hoof to Sunset, who had already realized that she was now a pony again. "Hi there, I'm Twilight." the unicorn said.

Sunset attempted to introduce herself, "Um, h-hello. My name's... Sunset Shimmer?" She mentally facehoofed at her introduction.

Twilight looked past Sunset at the portal. "I came in here after I heard a weird noise coming from this room. What happened?"

Sunset's eyes met Twilight's, evidently filled with emotion. She sighed, and began telling her story.

"Well, back when you were probably just a filly, I used to be Celestia's prodigy. I was destined to be ascended to alicornhood, but my own self-interests created greed in my heart. Over time, I became rude, nasty, selfish, and above all, a monster to everypony I met. I began studying dark magic without permission, and over time, I became obsessed with it. Eventually, Celestia showed me my destiny using this mirror behind me. I looked at my reflection in it, and staring back at me, I saw a great, and very powerful Alicorn, possibly even more powerful than Celestia herself. My greed skyrocketed from that day on, and eventually, Celestia told me that I would not be ascended due to the darkness in my heart. By then, I had learned that the mirror was also a portal, and I knew that Celestia would most likely disown me. So as a result, one night, I took my belongings and fled through the portal. From then on, I lived in an alternate universe, where instead of ponies, the dominant and most intelligent species were "Humans", which were pretty much tall, bald apes that had grown to create vast cities. I too also became one after entering the portal, and I lived in that universe for years, until I finally decided to come back..."

Twilight's attention was entirely focused on Sunset. "Why?"

Sunset looked up at Twilight with teary eyes. "T-to... apologize... to my... mother..."

Twilight jumped back at the statement. "Celestia's your MOTHER?!"

"Yes, well, no. I was adopted by Celestia in a similar way that Cadence was... where is Cadence anyways?"

Twilight shot yet another surprised look at Sunset. "You know my foalsitter?"

It was Sunset's turn to be surprised. "Cadence was your foalsitter?!"