• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 1,733 Views, 40 Comments

Dancing in the Twilight - Mindpalace



Moon Dancer was content. Old friends back, getting new ones, having parties, all while still having her studies. But there's still something missing, in the form of the mare who made her realize that there's more to life than dusty old books.

  • ...
5
 40
 1,733

Attempted Confessions

Twilight and Moon Dancer arrived at the Canterlot Library. Moon Dancer took the key from her sweater with her magic and opened the door with it.

Now, both Twilight and Moon Dancer had been to libraries before. They were, quite literally, in their element when surrounded by books and scrolls. They had both been in this specific library as well, many times. It was Twilight's previous home, after all, and she had given the key to Moon Dancer, who frequently visited it, sometimes even sleeping in it when she was to absorbed in her studies to notice night fall.

And yet both were still filled with awe when they entered.

The library was a grand place after all. Its circular wall were lined with bookshelves. The upstairs was as beautiful as the bottom, with bookshelves twice the size of the ones downstairs. Books were stacked in strewn across the floor, evidence of Moon Dancer's previous visits. There was a table with a test tube rack, test tubes filled with liquid. On the far side of the room there was a massive window, presenting a beautiful view of all Canterlot to anypony who decided to look out it.

"It's still beautiful," said Twilight

"Always is," replied Moon Dancer with a smile.


Twilight sighed in content. Completely focused on the novel she was currently reading, she was at peace.

The same couldn't be said for Moon Dancer.

She reviewed her plan in her head. Step one, invite Twilight to study date, making sure they were alone. Check. Step two, get past the study date without freaking out. Step three, confess.

She was having a hard time with step two.

She didn't understand why. It should have been simple. Easy, even. All she had to do was not tell Twilight her intentions. All she had to do was keep her mouth shut.

And yet she nearly failed, multiple times.

Whenever she looked at Twilight, she felt like announcing her true feelings. It was as if her words waiting in her throat, trying to burst out every time she opened her mouth.

Just keep quiet. Hold out. If you tell her now, she might be irritated, being distracted from her books. Plus, you haven't even finished planning what you're gonna say She told herself. The risk something would go wrong if she told prematurely was a small one, but it was a risk nonetheless. No, it would be smart to wait. She would wait. She couldn't risk anything going wrong.

She went back to pretending to read and began to plan what she would say later.

Maybe she should be brave and bold about it. She had read that confidence was often found to be attractive, especially with mares. She then shook her head slightly. No, if she did that Twilight might link her with the overconfident Trixie Moon Dancer had heard so much about. Twilight evidently didn't like her, despite claiming to have forgiven her. Bad idea.

Perhaps she should surprise her. Just go and kiss her. Maybe she would like that. Moon Dancer knew she would.

The idea brought up an image in Moon Dancer's head, causing her to blush. Perhaps she should be more mature in her approach. She began to imagine the situation, her kissing Twilight, first softly, the harder, with more passion, and finally wrestling her tongue into her mouth.

She shook the image from her head, putting her hoof up to her face, trying to get rid of her blushing cheeks. There would be time for those thoughts later, in the privacy of her room.

She decided she would be meek and shy about it. She was pretty sure Twilight was into that. Yes, that would be the best course of action.

She just hoped it would work.


It was midday when Twilight arrived in Canterlot. Now, It was approaching night, and Luna was about to raise the moon. Twilight finished the book she was reading, and was struck with an idea.

"Hey, Moon Dancer?" she called

"Yes?" replied Moon Dancer, looking up from her book.

"I have an idea for a game."

Moon Dancer hesitated. "This is a study date, Twilight."

Twilight smiled. "Don't worry, its still studying, just in the form of a competitive battle."

Moon Dancer thought for a moment, then nodded. She trusted Twilight, and decided that, if she thought something was a good idea, it probably was. "What is it?"

"I call it Trivia Battle. We take turns asking each other questions. First one to get five mistakes loses."

Moon Dancer smiled. It sounded like fun. "Your on."

"Okay then, first question : Salt's chemical name."

"Easy. Sodium Chloride. My turn. Three original names for Equestria?"

"Pegasopolis, Unicornia, and Earth." Twilight decided to make it harder for Moon Dancer, and thought of a question out of the subject Moon Dancer was studying. "Name of the monster that attacked Griffonstone, causing them to lose the Idol of Boreas?"

"The Arimaspi." Moon Dancer, realizing that Twilight was trying to challenge her, decided to up her game. "Suggested retail price of a medium-grade cherry?"

"Two bits. Alias of Daring Do?"

"A.K. Yearling. Full chemical name of PVC?"

"Polyvinyl Chloride. Square root of 8?"

"Two square root of two."

And so the rest of the night was spent with each mare trying to outsmart the other, each trying to find a question the other couldn't answer. Moon Dancer was reminded why she had a crush on Twilight in the first place.


Moon Dancer and Twilight were in Moon Dancer's house. They had finished the game at around midnight, with Twilight finally losing, Moon Dancer's winning question being "What does DNA stand for?". They laughed all the way to Moon Dancer's house.

Moon Dancer began to prepare herself for what she was going to say. She had managed to keep her mouth shut, and all that was left was step three. Confess.

"Well, I should get to the train station. The one-o-clock train for Ponyville is leaving soon." Twilight hugged Moon Dancer. "Thanks for inviting me over Moon Dancer. I had a great time."

Moon Dancer hugged back. "Any time, Twilight. Your my friend, after all."

Twilight turned around and opened the door behind her. "Well, bye! See you soon!"

Now

Moon Dancer called out to Twilight just as she was about to close the door. "Hey, Twilight?"

Twilight turned around. "Yes?"

Moon Dancer assumed the stereotypical 'shy' pose, her right hoof rubbing her left knee. "Well..."

Then, she stopped.

What? Whats happening? Say it!

But the words had stuck in her throat. The words she had wanted to say all night refused to come out. Moon Dancer tried to speak, nothing came out of her mouth.

After an uncomfortable five seconds of silence, Moon Dancer eventually mumbled, "Nothing, just thanks."

Twilight smiled. "Of course! Any time Moon Dancer. Bye!"

Moon Dancer watched as Twilight closed the door gently. What was that? What went wrong? She had wanted to say it the entire night, so why hadn't she been able to?

But even if she had answers to these questions, they would have come to late. Tears began to stream down Moon Dancer's face as she realized something.

The plan didn't work. She had failed.