• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 1,780 Views, 66 Comments

One Wing, One Heart - Manaphy



Rainbow Dash recounts her story as a soldier during the Crystal War.

  • ...
5
 66
 1,780

Log V: Tension

The day following Princess Celestia's announcement was complete chaos.

There was no other way to describe it. While Fleetfoot and I had one final day of training under General Limestone before we were brought back under Spitfire's wing, the world around us moved exponentially quicker. The sun's movement may as well have been a yellow smear across the sky and the clouds hanging above us never stayed put. Evening had arrived before I realized how much time I had spent exercising.

Limestone's drills were louder, fiercer, and faster than before as well. It was the same story for Spitfire and the Wonderbolts; the team's aerial maneuvers could've made one of Sombra's goons dizzy and their lightning quick punches were perfect for knocking them over. My muscles ached as everypony moved from one place to the next. Sweat poured down my forehead as I never had more than a few seconds for resting up. We practiced chucking rocks at one moment and shifted to jogging through the snow in a flash.

And even the groups from afar were practicing drills at a blistering rate. I noticed those managing the artillery continuously rushing across the floors or soil while making sure no mistakes were made. Rolling boulders over to where catapults were and checking said equipment was all they did for hours.

I kept chugging along. My heart supported this decision, but my legs argued for the opposite. I may as well have been dragging a ton of concrete wherever I went. Nevertheless, such constant motion was somewhat awesome, my lips curling into the faintest of smirks the longer I trained.

And before I knew it, the sun slowly crept below the horizon. Cloudy skies and the ominous red tint hid nature's beauty once again. With a tightened throat, I couldn't help myself from wondering where Sombra's forces were. Reports came in a few hours ago that the weather strategy was a rousing success, the foe having struggled through the blizzard.

I prayed it was enough.

"Line up, everypony!" Limestone bellowed, head raised.

As usual, we filed up into a square of pastel ponies standing tall and keeping our chins up. Stern expressions decorated our faces as usual, nopony batting an eye. I noticed the Wonderbolts following the same procedure nearby. I wished I could've waved my hoof and hollered at them as well, but Limestone's expression still froze my spine like it did when I first met her.

Some things never changed in the barracks.

Limestone then glared over to Fleetfoot and me without warning. "Rainbow Dash! Fleetfoot!" she shrieked. "Show me you two can fly right now!"

"Yes, ma'am!" we shouted in unison.

Fleetfoot flapped her wings and became airborne without too much difficulty. I spotted her twirling about like a dancer and stretching her limbs whilst flying. It was typical of a Wonderbolt to perform some dazzling feats when getting back to flying. But as I quickly glanced over to my prosthetic wing, I swallowed a lump. My cheeks turned pale a second later.

However, there was no time to waste.

Either I made myself proud or became a laughing stock. And if I refused to even give flying an attempt, I'd have guaranteed the second of those outcomes.

"Please work," I muttered under my breath.

I flapped my wings and gnashed my teeth.

A brief gust of wind swirled past me, my mane and tail flapping about. Closing my eyes, I braced myself for the inevitable crash landing. While some ponies nowhere near as awesome as I was had made stunning recoveries, it'd be unlikely for me to get the hang of flying once more.

I hoped snow tasted good.

But my lips never kissed the snow, the wind still brushing against me.

I opened my eyes.

By some miracle, I was hovering above the air like Fleetfoot was. I rubbed my eyes, but nothing changed. I blinked, wondering if this was some sort of illusion or if I ended up passing out due to exhaustion. Yet no matter how many times I slapped myself across the cheek, I kept hovering.

I'd have believed somepony if they claimed nothing even happened; flying with my new wing felt natural.

Fleetfoot froze in midair and gazed into my eyes. Hers were shimmering, a smile brighter than the sun soon decorating her face. Her grin would've outdone even the most beautiful lakes or fields. It wiped away my twinging muscles as if by magic.

"Let's fly," said Fleetfoot. Rubbing her eyes and sniffling, her grin widened. "We should just focus on having some fun this time. You know, as friends."

"Of course!" I replied, nodding.

Without a second thought, I made a beeline toward where Fleetfoot flew. We swirled around in the air beside each other, slight breezes brushing against my mane. Our wings nearly touched at certain points, but with the added barrel rolls, rapid maneuvers, and acrobatic feats, it was as though we relived life as Wonderbolts before the war.

I wished it lasted forever.

Unfortunately, such joys were only temporary.

What actually lasted at least a minute or two was a few seconds in my eyes.

"We don't have time for dancing!" Limestone shouted at the top of her lungs. She slammed a hoof into the snow and scrunched her muzzle. "Get back down here and pay attention!"

Fleetfoot and I nodded together, descending back to where we were and locking our gazes onto Limestone. My heart sank as I touched the cold, wet snow once more. But despite such an experience being only a flash in the grand scheme of things, I couldn't help myself from cracking the slightest of smiles.

Luckily, I shared it with one of my best friends.

"You're both ready to return to Captain Spitfire's program starting tomorrow," Limestone continued. "Congratulations on escaping my wrath for now." She paced back and forth for a moment, scanning the soldiers standing before her. She ruffled her brow. "As for the rest of you maggots, training will continue as usual—though these fast drills will become the norm for a while."

Buzzsaw raised her hoof in the air. "Excuse me, but when's King Sombra gonna arrive?" she asked. "Are we prepared for 'em?"

"That was going to be my next point." Limestone sighed and turned away from everypony. As silence filled the air, she glanced up at the sky. "King Sombra's forces have been drastically reduced according to our spies, some claiming his army being cut in half. Most of them were partly or fully buried underneath the snow while others perished due to the extreme weather. Unfortunately, that also means Sombra is even more furious."

"What about those buried who survived?" a masculine voice asked.

"Once Sombra's army was far away enough, those left behind had their helmets removed and were taken for questioning. At least that was the plan. We highly doubt that they'll have new information, especially since ponies we've captured in the past have been clueless about what the Crystal Empire has been planning." Limestone cleared her throat. "And according to the letters said spies have sent us, we expect Sombra to reach these barracks in around two days. However, some may arrive early, so always be alert. Understood?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Dismissed, but don't get too careless during your break. We'll need all the help we can get in fighting King Sombra."

Limestone trudged away from the others. Making her way toward one of the tents, she peeked inside before trotting inside and vanishing from my sight. Nopony around me uttered a peep, most of them frantically swiveling their heads around and surveying every square inch of the terrain. Other than the occasional pebble and the snow freezing our hooves at the touch, we hadn't found anything. Besides, the myriad of towers adorning the fields were better suited for scouting than a couple of eyes.

However, I was among those studying the landscape. Even if there was nothing worth searching for, I participated in the lame and pointless search nonetheless. Tension kept squeezing my throat. The wide-eyed, pale expressions everypony else wore told a similar story.

"They're not hiding here," said Maud. "We should rest for a bit."

I turned toward Maud. "Sounds like a plan," I replied. "How about you, Pinkie?"

"Okie-dokie-lokie!" Pinkie chimed, forcing a wide smile across her face. Less than a second later, she assumed a downcast expression and sighed. "Let's just be prepared for anything, too. Sound fair?"

We all nodded together.

"Good. I'll see both of you later."

Instead of hopping and skipping as usual, Pinkie merely trotted across the snowy landscape, Maud beside her. My heartbeat quickened. If Pinkie couldn't even feign happiness at the moment, I dreaded what must've been awaiting us. Sure, I've tangled with Sombra's soldiers in the past, but just seeing the usually hyperactive mare becoming a depressed husk had sent shivers down my spine.

I closed my eyes, biting my lip.

"Hey," Spitfire muttered from nearby. Shivering in surprise, I quickly turned to the left and spotted her trotting toward me, the other Wonderbolts all following close behind. A faint chuckle left her lips. "Sorry if I scared you, but I wanted to mention that I highly appreciate your bravery." Spitfire ruffled her wings, smirking. "Sure, it wasn't the best flying you've done by far, but I'd call it one of your most captivating flights. I'll admit, I'm kind of envious of how strong you are. You'll definitely be your old self in no time!"

I donned a sheepish grin. "Thanks. You're awesome, too."

Spitfire nodded. In the blink of an eye, her slight smirk vanished and was replaced by a bone-chilling frown. "Anyway, now's not the time for casual conversation. Sombra's forces are closing in on us, and there's only so much we can do. As such, we need to start planning on how we're going to defend the barracks."

"The artillery should slow the enemy down a bit," said Fleetfoot. "It'll also put a sizable dent in his army, especially since all of his troops are grounded."

"That's true, but we can't rely purely on our catapults to keep them at bay. Eventually, we'll have to directly confront the enemy, but just charging at them won't work." Spitfire rubbed her head, clenching her teeth. "Trust me, we've proven plenty of times that such basic tactics never work. It's a part of why Sombra conquered as much as he did."

Soarin bobbed his head. "I know what you mean," he said. "Weren't you in some argument with Captain Shining Armor about that? I know he's a bit more reckless, but have his strategies worked at times? Maybe we should consider adopting his plans if it's the best strategy."

With a quick breath, Spitfire slowly turned to face Soarin. "Shining Armor's plans are somewhat successful, though incredibly risky. When they work, we plow through the opponent and push them farther back. However, more often than not, it makes us look like fools should the enemies ambush us or take out a chunk of the army in a few blows. With the dilemma we're in, I don't think we can afford such a costly strategy."

"But somepony will have to be the first to come at them," I said, raising my hoof.

"True, which is why it's essential we have as few enemies near us as possible. A direct charge should be the last of our options." Spitfire swished her tail around. A second later, she momentarily pursed her lips. "We'll inevitably be forced to directly confront the foe once they're close enough. But we could play this to our advantage as well."

"How so?"

"Some of us will be on the front lines, galloping toward Sombra's army once they're within range and our catapults are no longer viable. At the same time, some of us will be waiting from within the barracks, only leaping out once enough time has passed as to catch Sombra off guard. They'll swoop in and join the fight, at which point we can force them to retreat."

"Won't Princess Celestia be with us as well?" asked Lightning, arching an eyebrow. "We've been told about her involvement in the fight, you know. And couldn't she just clean up the entire army and make things much easier for us?" She shrugged. "Or is there more to it than just that?"

"Princess Celestia will jump in either when she feels it's opportune or if we're all in peril. And while she is powerful, Celestia cannot do everything on her own. There are simply too many of them and she'd tire herself out before wiping out Sombra's forces. That's why we all need to work together on this."

Fleetfoot nodded. "Makes sense to me."

"That's where we stand so far. Any comments or suggestions?"

Everypony huddled in our group shook their heads in unison. If we had any chance of stopping Sombra, applying Spitfire's plan and hoping fate was on our side was the best course of action. Since Limestone, Shining Armor, and others also had a say in how plans were carried out as per regulations, I imagined they'd cook up something awesome or effective as well. Whether all of their collective strategies were worth anything was shrouded in fog as far as I knew.

Sweat dripped down my brow.

Equestria was on our shoulders.

We couldn't afford any mistakes or arguments.

"Good," Spitfire murmured. Trotting past us, she gazed up at the sky. She gulped, the sound echoing into my ears. "But there's one problem."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Sombra might be arriving sooner than we think. No confirmations on that yet, obviously, but since the possibility is always there, we can't carry on as usual." She stared into the eyes of every Wonderbolt around her for at least a second, her deep scowl twisting my chest into a knot. "I don't think I need to remind you about how unpredictable things can be." Sighing, Spitfire sulked and bit her lip for a second. "He might even be coming today if luck isn't on our side."

Among the worst things I could've possibly heard, that ranked near the top. But as I thought about the gloomy skies and the red tint everywhere, there was no denying that Spitfire had reason to believe our intruders were arriving ahead of schedule. From what I've been told, bleak scenery and anxiety constantly looming above our heads often foreboded activity from the Crystal Empire. Of course, such instances weren't always true and it never foreshadowed the results of upcoming clashes, but it latched onto my mind like a parasite.

Superstitions were always a part of Equestrian culture. The oddities of what defined things like that lame 'destiny' thing must've played a role in that. Heck, Pinkie was one of the most superstitious mares I've ever met. The only difference was that she called hers 'Pinkie Sense' for some reason, often triggered by her tail twitching. Needless to say, we soon all ducked for cover and prodded her with additional questions whenever her tail shook like a rattlesnake's.

"I wonder," I whispered to myself.

Twisting my head to the right, I squinted at where Pinkie, Maud, and Marble were. They all behaved normally—whatever constituted as normal for the Pie family. Marble and Maud were as static as ever while Pinkie bounced around from time to time, but nothing stuck out at first glance.

A deep breath left my mouth. Soon enough, I noticed Pinkie's combed tail.

My blood froze in an instant.

It was shaking much more violently than usual.

Pinkie gasped, pupils shrunk. I noticed her poking Maud as the color seemingly disappeared from Pinkie's cheeks. It wasn't long before she scurried across the ground and placed her muzzle against every chest she bumped into. Her lips moved in a blur with everypony she encountered gasping or cringing once she finished.

"Oh, no," I murmured under my breath. "Why now?"

"Excuse me?" Spitfire responded. She placed a hoof on my shoulder, a grim expression across her visage. "What's wrong? Is there something important I should know of?"

I slowly nodded. While my lips moved, no words came out.

"Rainbow Dash, we're not going to solve this together unless we know what's going on. Can you please tell me what's concerning you?"

"We're in trouble." The hairs on my coat all stood up. My legs quivered and refused to remain still. "I think King Sombra's forces might be coming later today."

Spitfire stepped back and arched an eyebrow. She merely pursed her lips.

While I couldn't blame her for being hesitant, especially given how not everypony knew about Pinkie's weird abilities, the truth was that the Crystal Empire would be knocking at our door sooner than we'd have preferred. The truth was that we wished they were never arriving in the first place, obviously, but now of all days was more fitting for a nightmare.

I cleared my throat. "Pinkie Pie has this weird ability, and calling it weird is an understatement." Making eye contact with Spitfire, my chest tightened a little. "For some reason, and don't ask me how she can do this, Pinkie has this sixth sense and can reliably predict the near future. It—it doesn't always happen and she can't use it when she wants, but when she does get a premonition of things to come, her tail shakes."

"And you expect me to believe this?" Spitfire cocked her head. She tapped her hoof against the ground. "Even though the weather successfully battered most of Sombra's army, there's still a small chance they could arrive today, but luck would have to be with them if they're reaching the barracks before night." As she clenched her teeth, Spitfire rubbed her muzzle and ruffled her wings. "But if they do arrive today, they'll be too exhausted to reliably fight. That's not to say they won't be a threat, especially with those helmets, but the enemy will suffer so many casualties."

"Well, isn't Sombra supposed to be kinda crazy? That's what ya told me once."

"He's insane from what I've heard about him. You've heard about the legends of his first defeat a thousand years ago, right?"

I shook my head.

"To sum up, King Sombra became the ruler of the Crystal Empire after violently overthrowing its previous ruler. When news of the conflict spread over to Canterlot, Princess Celestia and her sister agreed to stop Sombra once the problem became too severe for them to remain neutral. That's what caused Sombra and the Crystal Empire itself to be shut off from the rest of Equestria for a thousand years."

"Wait a second." I raised my hoof. A small itch formed on the back of my head; I kept rubbing it, though the sensation refused to leave me alone. "How is King Sombra even still alive? Isn't he supposed to be a normal unicorn? Other than that stupid looking horn of his, he doesn't have anything that makes him stand out from everypony else, right?"

"Sombra isn't your usual pony. There's a reason why he's so dangerous. And even Princess Celestia finds him threatening."

I shuddered. Chills coursed through my spine. "What do you mean?"

"Nopony knows, but based on his demeanor and how he supposedly can transform into a shadow creature at will, he's unlike anything us ponies have faced before."

The color of my coat turned pale. I shivered violently, teeth clacking together. "Sounds tough."

Spitfire slowly nodded as she donned a grim frown. "Tough is an understatement." Raising her head, she quickly glanced over to where Pinkie was, the latter still scurrying over to different ponies and shrieking about the foe's imminent arrival. As before, her tail twitched. And while some of the ponies merely laughed her away, others immediately rushed to the catapults or collected gear. "Rainbow Dash, I know we've been through a lot." Spitfire took a quick breath. "However, even though I'm not entirely convinced, I'm open to it if you have proof."

I tilted my head. "Proof?"

"Do you have anecdotal evidence of Pinkie's special ability? Do her sisters know about this as well?"

"I've got a few stories about her—" I cleared my throat "—Pinkie Sense, as she likes to call it. She's caught falling objects after her tail shook plenty of times, even in cases where there was no way she could've done it. Vases, exercising equipment, and so on are among the things she has caught like it took no effort. It was kinda awesome, too." I shrugged, feigning a sheepish smile. "And go ahead and talk to Maud, Marble, or General Limestone about it."

"They told you about it?"

I nodded. "That's right."

With her head hung low, a sigh left Spitfire's lips. She paced back and forth for a moment. "Well, I'd hate to be wrong about whether Pinkie truly has this sixth sense. If she knows something the rest of us don't, it could save us a lot of trouble moving forward. And for the record, I do believe you're telling me the truth." Freezing in place, Spitfire brought her attention back to me. "It's just that Pinkie Sense sounds so weird to where it's hard to comprehend."

I crossed my forelegs. "Yeah, I had trouble believing it at first, too."

"Well, I guess there's no harm in preparing for combat now." Spitfire paused for a moment. A quick breath left her mouth. "Better to spend time for nothing than to regret it in the future." Before I even uttered a peep, Spitfire raised her head up and bellowed, "Attention! King Sombra's forces may be arriving much sooner than expected! Whether you're a Wonderbolt or in a different unit, listen up!"

The world fell silent. Despite being used to Spitfire's louder side, I stepped back and shook nonetheless. It was one of those things that always surprised somepony no matter how many times they listened to it.

"All of you have gone through the same protocol the moment you stepped into these barracks, so get into position!" Spitfire exhaled. "Load the catapults, divide the soldiers into different sections, scan the horizons, and stay on guard no matter what we find! Take a few deep breaths and get ready! Don't waste another minute!"

In a flash, a hurricane of voices polluted the air. Ponies galloped all over the place, acquiring weapons, gear, and supplies in preparation for the battle ahead. Even those not involved in the battle such as Marble Pie dashed across the snow with tautened cheeks, preparing themselves for whatever was barreling toward us. Some of my fellow Wonderbolts and a few pegasi unaffiliated with them took to the skies, surveying the snow-covered environment around us. Any relaxation was siphoned without a second thought, shivering or tautened expressions taking its place.

Spitfire gazed into my eyes once more. "Rainbow Dash, you'll be flying with Blaze and Soarin in Squad One. Don't be afraid to use your prosthetic wing if you ever find yourself in a pinch." Rubbing the back of her neck, Spitfire then trotted next to me. I merely made a beeline toward the front wall. "I know having sword-like ligaments for your wing sounds stupid, but they're now a part of you for a reason. Use them if necessary."

"Yeah, I figured as much," I said.

Lightning Dust swooped toward the ground, though I didn't flinch despite almost crashing into me as she landed. "Ready, Dashie?" she asked. "I'll let you know that I'm all for showing those jerks who's boss." She pressed her hooves together. "I'm a part of Squad Two, so I'll be joining you a little later. We'll look out for each other once we're both on the battlefield."

"Gotcha." I bobbed my head. "I'd never leave any of you hanging."

"Fleetfoot will be flying with me, and she also promised to back you up if needed. And while Trixie is among the ground forces, she also told me that she'd provide support with her magic. We've got everything we'd ever need. There's no way we can lose now!"

"That promise extends to the rest of the Wonderbolts," said Spitfire. "But do be careful, Lightning Dust. We can't get too cocky. And I'm joining Squad Two as well. If any of you are in trouble, we're all here to help." She caught her breath, a white mist escaping her mouth. "Defeating King Sombra won't be easy, but I have faith in all of you. We overcame plenty of obstacles in the past. This battle will just be another hurdle for us to clear."

"Thanks, Spitfire," I said. A faint smile decorated my visage. Spitfire's words also warmed my heart a tad; anything that would've helped with the upcoming battle was welcome by me. "I'll do my best."

"Same here."

I squinted at Spitfire gliding around the barracks, shouting all sorts of different orders to those trotting past her. If her clear, concise directions were anything to go by, she knew exactly what the best strategy for dealing with Sombra's forces was, mainly defensive plans from what my ears picked up. And while such a clear path loosened my muscles, tension still crushed my bones. There were no such things as guarantees when it came to serving for the cause.

My prosthetic wing kept reminding me of this fact, never shutting up.

Taking a deep breath, I furrowed my brow and marched toward the walls surrounding the barracks. Caution wasn't cool or anything, but it was necessary to see the sun at least one more day. And if I was ever going to survive the Crystal War, I'd have to balance caution with bravery.

A peculiar tightness gripped my chest.

This was shaping up as tougher than I had ever imagined.


Being assigned as one of the first to dive into the battlefield was something that turned my coat pale.

The blank visages and clacking teeth which surrounded me didn't help matters.

Two hours had passed since Captain Spitfire bellowed the orders, shifting everypony's position until she was satisfied.

Those two hours must've been days as far as I was concerned.

At least standing near the battlements gave me a rare chance at standing next to Princess Celestia. It was admittedly awesome, even if it was like standing next to a ferocious dragon. The princess wore a stern expression, not a shred of light being emitted from her frown. Pursing my lips, I then gazed into her eyes, Celestia turning toward me and doing the same seconds later.

I crossed my forelegs, smiling sheepishly. "Hey, Princess Celestia," I meekly said. Without hesitating, I bowed to her, my gaze glued to her. "Is there anything I can help with, your majesty?"

"You don't have to bow right now," said Celestia. In a flash, she brought her attention back to the snowy fields before us. "Today, we stand as equals. If we're going to defeat Sombra, we must treat each other with respect and work together. I assume Captain Spitfire has told you the same thing."

I nodded. "Yeah, but did she tell ya the same thing?"

Celestia shook her head. "I initially came up with that philosophy moving forward. Spitfire merely tweaked it here and there to where it was easier to apply, as did some of the other captains and generals fighting for Equestria. And if the Crystal Empire being unable to gain even an inch of territory for over a year is anything to go by, the results speak for themselves. As I've also said countless times, friendship is magic. Teamwork follows a similar philosophy, as it shines the brightest when friendship is fueling it."

"But they still control half of Equestria, right?"

"They do, but there's something which they haven't accounted for."

I arched an eyebrow, head cocked. "What's that?"

"Sombra hasn't conquered any of our major cities. More specifically, he has only taken over small towns or places where resources are barren at best." A sigh left Celestia's lips. "While I do regret letting those towns down, the fact that Sombra hasn't made significant gains throughout the war means that he'll soon run out of resources. With nothing to feed his army, he'll be forced to surrender or die trying to salvage the situation."

"Is this why he has his sights on the Changeling Hive?"

Celestia then slowly nodded. "I only assume that's the case. As I've mentioned, allying oneself with the changelings is virtually impossible, especially for us ponies given our—less than stellar history. Since alliances are out of the question, Sombra must be targeting their agricultural areas. Attacking one of their cities would be suicide."

"I guess that puts things into perspective."

I nudged closer to the wall's edge, careful to not topple over or hurt myself. The wilting trees and bushes down at the surface were scale models from where I stood. It reminded me of my home back in Cloudsdale, though the land before the war wasn't covered in snow and colorless. Bright green grass, soothing breezes, and flower petals which occasionally whirled past invaded my mind. Even the rosy aroma tickled my nostrils at the thought.

While I wasn't much for standing around and gawking at nature, those pictures were glued to my chest. It was something a friend of mine during my foalhood introduced me to. Fluttershy was her name, and even before the war brewed, I sometimes wondered what became of her. Most ponies I spent time with when I was a filly called her a butterfly, some also referring to me as a bee. Others just said she'd never fly, which was later proven wrong.

That was how the weird race with those snotty jerks came to be.

I winced.

"Why did I think about that again?" I whispered to myself. "Is there something about it that I'm missing?" Rubbing my forehead, I scuttled away from the wall's edge, eyes widened as I resumed scanning the surface. "It's probably just a coincidence." A deep breath escaped my lips, chest loosening. "There's no way something so stupid could've been the defining moment of my life. It had nothing to do with me wanting to become a Wonderbolt. I've always been Rainbow Dash."

Clenching my teeth, I sat down on the floor, its brick surface prodding my flank.

"Are you okay?" asked Celestia. The grimace she wore was replaced with a softer expression. "You've been talking to yourself for some time and behaving strangely."

I shuddered. Lying to Celestia was one of the dumbest actions anypony could've done, whether it was a white lie or hiding something important. Her raised brow and puzzled look must've been her reading me like a book. And since the rumor about her stopping Nightmare Moon not with violence, but her words was anything to go by, nopony knew the inner workings of others as well as Celestia.

The twinkling rainbows in her eyes caught my attention. Such flashes only grew brighter as time went on.

"It's complicated," I answered, sighing. "Something about a race being interrupted by somepony a long time ago keeps coming back to me. I don't know why, but that's the truth." I ruffled my right wing. Chills coursed down my spine as I noticed Celestia pursing her lips. "Yeah, it's a bit weird to fret about, but I can't shake the feeling that said race was—" I pressed my hooves together "—was important to me. Like, I'd be more awesome or things would've played out differently for me if the race wasn't messed with."

For reasons unbeknownst to me, Celestia flashed the faintest of smiles. "What if I told you that things were destined to play out differently?"

I shivered and my cheeks tautened. "Excuse me? What did you say?"

Celestia rolled her shoulders. "I'm not saying things were going to play out differently, but I've had a hunch that you were always meant to finish your race." Without warning, she stretched a foreleg toward me and gently poked my mouth. "I was informed by a colleague of mine from Cloudsdale about what was going on. It was merely gossip at first, something his child was talking about, though something about it tickled my coat. Rainbow Dash, given your name and the peculiar aura you exude, I think—"

"Enemy spotted!" a voice bellowed from one of the towers. "Enemy spotted at eleven o'clock! All troops, report to your stations! A pack of enemy soldiers is approaching fast! Load the catapults and fire when they're within range! This is not a drill! I repeat, this is not a drill! All ponies prepare for battle!"

I gulped. Those were definitely the last words I wanted to hear.

Celestia sighed, her fierce scowl returning in the blink of an eye. "We can discuss this later," she muttered. "If we're both still alive when this is all over, I promise that I'll tell you the rest of the story." A yellow aura enveloped her horn and electricity crackled around it. A palpable energy was emitted by her horn. The hairs of my coat rose. "Join up with your fellow Wonderbolts. That's an order."

Nodding, I stepped away from Celestia and made a beeline toward where Blaze and Soarin stood. Neither of them uttered a peep as they pursed their lips and stretched their muscles. I soon followed suit, taking deep breaths. Shivering, I then flapped my wings and hovered in place for a moment, wind swirling beneath me.

"Ready?" asked Soarin.

I nodded. "You bet. Let's get this over with as soon as possible."

"Don't go flying off just yet!" Soarin extended a foreleg in front of me, muzzle scrunched. Shivering, his wings twitched. "We'd be ruining the operation if we just stormed in without thinking."

"I know about the order." I stepped back; a ringing sensation pierced my ears. "What I meant was that I hope the battle isn't too long and hard for us and that we kick their flanks. No need to act so offended."

"Oh." Soarin rubbed the back of his neck. "Sorry about that. I'm just a bit nervous. You probably know why."

"I'm nervous, too." Bobbing my head again, I gently landed back on the ground and ruffled my wings. "But everypony is counting on us, and we're counting on our allies to help us in the battle. We've trained and practiced all sorts of awesome things, so let's show them how much we've learned."

"That's more like it!" Blaze shouted at the top of his lungs. He thrust his hoof into the air. "Those armored punks are gonna be crawling back to Sombra with their tails in between their legs. They won't know what hit 'em!"

"Let's hope you're right."

Seconds later, the first boulders were loaded onto all of the catapults. A group of mares squinted at the oncoming army, motioning their hooves left or right as the artillery rotated to face their target. Harsh squeaks polluted the air. My heart skipped a beat, the ponies turning the catapults into position halting precisely at the same moment. General Limestone would've been proud of such synchronization, though as I glanced at her behind my shoulder, all I saw across her visage was a pale expression.

"Ready!" a voice bellowed.

The catapults all clicked into place. Some soldiers wiped their foreheads while others stuck their tongues out, never averting their gazes from the boulders.

"Aim!"

The weapons made their final adjustments; the squeaks returned with them, myself cringing in response.

"Fire!"

One by one, the catapults flung their ammunition toward the foe. The large rocks somehow sliced through the air, all of them hurdling toward the conglomeration of armored ponies. I bit my lip in anticipation, waiting for a cloud of dust or some bodies leaping into the sky.

Seconds passed; they may as well have been hours.

Clouds ascended into the air, their brown colors churning my stomach for a brief moment. The earth beneath me shook as the boulders slammed against the ground.

"Direct hit!" the voice announced. "Load them all up again for round two!"

The same process of loading, listening to the metal's shrieks, and tossing colossal stones repeated itself. Despite getting used to the weapons' medley, I winced as they split my eardrums. Each round went by faster than the previous one until the soldiers loading the catapults couldn't have sped up any further. Brown clouds polluted the sky minutes later, growing in size, though those announcing whether we struck the enemy or not occasionally kept silent. All of us knew what that meant, and my blood froze when the silence lingered.

I thought I'd never hear a confirmation again. And the enemies were still somewhat visible from where I stood, their form like a lake of metal and red cloth.

After what had to have been ten minutes of lobbing rocks and occasionally getting something out of it, the faces of those armored freaks became visible to the naked eye. A few of them carried bright red flags, but the majority of them wore attachments on their armor sharper than needles or wielded spears, axes, and other weapons that twisted my chest.

I glanced down at the armor and clothes adorning me. My hooves were covered with a steel plate perfect for close combat. The prosthetic wing twitched as though it were sentient, rearing to slice up one or two of Sombra's soldiers. And even as the catapults continued their assault, the occasional cheers following direct hits, everypony among the first wave was squirming.

Already, the snow was covered with motionless bodies. The faintest streaks of red revealed themselves and flowed like a river as more ponies were squashed by the boulders. Part of me wished I could've turned away or closed my eyes. My stomach churned.

However, as arrows from the enemy sliced through the air and failed to reach our barracks, I couldn't even bother blinking.

I was committed. I've braved much worse, but something prodding my coat darkened the land.

My throat tightened; I wished I wasn't among those who'd never see nature again.

"Out of ammo!" the commander orated. "We've really put a dent into them!"

I exhaled, chest loosening a tad. Yet anxiety still crushed my bones into dust.

"Get ready," said Celestia. Flames flickered in her eyes as she ground her teeth. With her wings spread out, she trotted up to the wall's edge. "And as long as you all try your best and work together, we can do this. And remember, show them no mercy."

A second later, Celestia extended her foreleg out, scowling.

I jumped into the air, wings beating frantically for a brief moment.

My part of the battle had begun.