• Published 29th Nov 2015
  • 1,557 Views, 14 Comments

The War on Sombra - MaskedFlame073



(Spoilers for Season 5 Finale) Twilight failed to stop Starlight Glimmer, and Equestria is fighting against King Sombra's army.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,557

The War (Prologue)

Nightmare Moon was once again defeated by Celestia and the Elements of Harmony. The royal Canterlot guard defended against Chrysalis' changeling invasion with the help of Celestia's student, Cadance. However, nopony was prepared for the return of one of the worst tyrants in Equestrian history...King Sombra.

"Finally..." Sombra muttered, walking out onto a crystal protrusion. His slaves, already outfitted in robotic armor which dulled their thoughts and emotions, simply stood below him in orderly line. "Soldiers! Today heralds a new era in Equestrian history! The era of King Sombra!" The troops stamped their hooves simultaneously before shouting, "Hail King Sombra!" Sombra laughed, turning to look at the sun rising over Equestria. "Today, my minions, we crush Celestia's army! Today, I reign supreme!" The soldiers once again stomp their hooves and shout. The commanders of each legion lead their soldiers to war on Celestia's rule, emotions dulled and thoughts only of obtaining glory for their King.

One of Celestia's royal guard burst through the throne room's doors, panting. "Your Majesty! King Sombra has-"

Celestia interrupted the guard, raising a hoof. "I know. Sombra has returned, and is mobilizing an army against us as we speak. Gather the troops," A tear drops from her eye as she continues, "The peace in Equestria has been broken." The guard nods, running out of the throne room.

After her guard had gathered in the barracks, Celestia herself entered. "Gentlecolts, it is with a heavy heart that I must inform you of the tyrannical King Sombra's return. As we speak, he is mobilizing his army against us, and as we have enjoyed centuries of peace, we have little defense. We must defend Equestria, and we must ensure that he does not win." The soldiers all nod somberly.

"Right, you heard her! Move out!" A commander yells, exiting the barracks. The soldiers follow, ready to defend against Sombra's army...

Author's Note:

The beginning of my first story! This chapter is solely exposition, explaining how the war started. Next chapter (as you probably guessed by the title) is where Rainbow gets her robo-wing.