• Published 16th Nov 2015
  • 2,208 Views, 40 Comments

Ponytale - Scarlett Haze



Long ago, two races ruled over Earth: MONSTERS and PONIES... Welcome to the world of the UNDERGROUND, a world inhabited by monsters. Watch over the adventures of a young and brave pony(you) as they traverse this realm on a journey back home.

  • ...
18
 40
 2,208

Chapter 2 - Puzzles, Fights, and a BOX?

You keep following Toriel, still looking over her yellow fur and pink horns. It seems like such an odd choice for a monster to have such features. Then you giggle to yourself. You have a horn and use magic. It may be just as odd if you were looking at this from the other side. You climb up some stairs and continue forward. Entering a room with several buttons on the floor and a switch at the other side, you cock your head. Why would these be here? Then you see the door by the switch and you excitedly let out a sqee of glee. It's a puzzle!

"Welcome to your new home, innocent one. Allow me to educate you in the operation of the RUINS."

Toriel walks over some of the buttons on the floor and then flips the switch, opening the door. You can't help but feel a little disappointed you weren't offered a chance to solve this puzzle.

"The RUINS are full of puzzles. Ancient fusions between diversions and doorkeys."

You never thought such a description could fit the term puzzle so well before. Toriel explains things further about puzzles for another moment and then offers for you to look about the room to get an idea of what a puzzle will present itself to you. You find a sign that gave you a clue to what the puzzle is meant to be interpreted as and find the question itself intriguing.

Only the fearless may proceed. Brave ones, foolish ones. Both walk not the middle road.

Looking at the buttons again, you notice the middle path is lighter than the other buttons around it and get how Toriel solved the puzzle. "Kind of smart. Hope I can do some later," You think to yourself.

You didn't notice the Toriel moved into the other room while you were thinking on the room and quickly go after her to the next room.

While she is at your side, she leads you through more puzzles, explaining switches in a puzzle... that she labeled for you to already press. A part of you thinks that these are not giving you much of a challenge at all. Still, you keep calm and allow Toriel to keep guiding you. In a weird way, she reminds you of a mother caring for a child and trying to teach them how to go through life, albeit a bit too cautiously. This comforts you somewhat.

You go into the next room and see a dressing dummy on the other side and a pretty useful stick by it. You pick up the stick with your magic and then wonder how you may need to carry it when you don't need a stick. You simply shrug and put the stick on your back. It'll have to do for now until you find pockets of some kind.

Toriel looks to the dummy and then back to you. "As a pony living in the UNDERGROUND, monsters may attack you."

You give Toriel an 'Oh, really? I couldn't have guessed,' expression.

"You will need to be prepared for this situation. However, worry not! The process is simple. When you encounter a monster you will enter a FIGHT. While you are in a FIGHT, strike up a friendly conversation."

Your jaw hits the floor. Before you can question as to how this could help you, Toriel explains as she moves to the dummy, carefully checking its stitching. "Stall for time. I will come to resolve the conflict."

You nod your head. It makes sense, after all, she did save you from that flower. If violence can be avoided, then maybe this can work out well.

Toriel steps away from the dummy, "Practice talking to the dummy."

You approach the dummy and then look over at Toriel. She motions for you to go on. Sighing, you take one more step to the dummy and then feel the world shift like it did when you encountered Flowey. At first, you panic, not wanting to get caught off guard again. You then realize nothing has happened and relax. You look ready to fight and pick up your stick. You then remember what Toriel says and think better than to smack a dummy with a stick. You give a weak smile to the dummy and start talking to it, asking how its day has been. You then give quick glances to Toriel, almost wondering if there isn't something else that may happen. Toriel does give you a smile though, pleased that you chat with the dummy.

"Ah, very good! You're very good!" Toriel cheers in a soft voice. With the battle seemingly ended, Toriel moves into the next room.

You can't help but feel like this is the weirdest experience you've had in a long time. You keep moving on, hoping that eventually the next room will lead home.

"There is another puzzle in this room, I wonder if you can solve it?" Toriel questions you. You let out that excited gleeful squee sound again.

You start looking around the room, trying to find any hint to what you need to do, checking each wall and watching for hints of some kind. You are then startled by something bounding in your path. It looks to be a frog... Though this box says that its called a 'Froggit'. You see Toriel is looking away and once more reach for your stick. You then stop yourself a second time. "When you are in a FIGHT, strike up a friendly conversation. Stall for time. I will come to resolve the conflict."

You grit your teeth and hope Toriel was right. You lower the stick and then compliment the Froggit on its beautiful... uh... eyes?

It may not have understood what you said, but it appears flattered about it. You give a small smile of your own.

Toriel comes into sight and stares down the Froggit. Strangely, it appears to be a little frightful and then sulks away. You watch Toriel's expression, seeing such... conviction behind them. It's really strange but... you think that you've seen something like what she just did before. Or have you? Once more you rub at your head, still wondering if its hurt from the fall.

With the battle won, you find a sign saying the west room is a blueprint to the east room. You go back to the west room and look around once more. You don't understand. It's totally empty.

You shrug and decide to move to the east room, gasping at seeing the floor is covered in sharp spikes. You give a look to Toriel, showing your uncertainty of what you're supposed to do.

"This is the puzzle, but..." Toriel sees your uncertainty and gives you a calm smile, making you feel safe. She then offers a hand to you, "Here, take my hand."

You give Toriel your hoof and she walks toward the spikes. You feel scared as she goes to step on them. They retract and she starts to guide you through the spikes, weaving around them until they both reach the end. "Puzzles seem a little too dangerous for now."

You look back at the spikes and wonder what you did wrong. The west room was supposed to be a blueprint to this room, so what did you miss? You think a second and then realize the one mistake you did. The floor. You never looked at the floor. You tell yourself that you need to be more assure of yourself.

You look at Toriel, ready for the next challenge as you enter the next room.

"You've done excellently thus far, my child. However... I have a difficult request to ask of you." Toriel speaks and then takes a calm breath to ease her nerves. "I would like for you to walk to the end of the room by yourself."

You nod and put on a brave face.

"Forgive me for this."

Your brave face cracks as you question as to why she just said that last sentence. Before you know it, you see Toriel already speeding away. You rush after her, but can't seem to catch up! "It's because she's got longer legs! I can't keep up!" You tell yourself and only push harder. Eventually, you can't even see Toriel where you are and slow down a little. This room, no, this hallway is a lot longer than you initially thought it was going to be. You just keep pressing forward, unsure if this is leading to a trap or a monster will jump out and attack.

"Was Flowey right?" you begin to question. "Is this a world where... it's killed or be killed?" The questions make you stop where you are. Doubt now hangs over you. Has Toriel been lying to you? Attempting to keep you weak? Trying to trick you from escaping and only going deeper into her domain?"

You look ahead of you, and you look behind you. Behind you, you know that there is no other exit and no other path you could have taken. You would be forced right back to where you were from the beginning. You can't doubt yourself now, not this far. You look ahead and keep moving forward, head held high, and fear in your stomach. You were going to be brave. You were going to face the danger. It's just like that first puzzle said, Only the fearless may proceed.

At its end, a large column rests at the side and you attempt to peek around it, checking if something is going to jump out. You then smile as you see Toriel let out a small EEP and try to hide herself on the other side where you are looking. You smile and tell her to come out.

She steps out, her head a little bent as she seems a little ashamed about what she did. "I... uh... I didn't actually leave you, my child. I was... behind the pillar this whole time." She lifts her head and gives an apologetic smile, "Thank you for trusting me."

You feel the questions of doubt you had lift from you. You ask her why she did this exercise still, just for clarification.

"It was to test your independence. You see, I have something important to attend to and you need to be alone for awhile," Toriel explains. "Can you, um, please stay here? It's dangerous to explore by yourself." She then realizes something, "I have an idea." She takes out what looks to be a clean saddle with an ample pack to store many things. Just what you need! "Inside this saddle is a CELL PHONE. If you need anything, you can just call."

You seem really confused at what this BOX looking thing is you're holding with your magic is. It has numbers... a screen... and that's it.

"Be good, alright?" Toriel asks you before she leaves.

You continue to look at the BOX, no, the CELL PHONE in confusion. How would you call anyone with this? Is it like a megaphone? Do you need to yell into it?

Erm. This is going to need investigation.