• Published 8th Nov 2015
  • 1,202 Views, 8 Comments

Just One Wish - -Skyline-



It's almost Heath's Warming Eve, and Applebloom thinks her big sister deserves a present she'll never forget. But she needs some help to make it come true, thankfully, she knows just the princess...

  • ...
0
 8
 1,202

Just One Wish

A cool breeze blew through Sweet Apple Acres, swishing through the bare trees, rattling the few withered leaves that still clutch onto their trees. Winter has taken hold of the farm, the rolling hills dull and subtle, white snow starting to coat them, bearing the signs of the season. The windmill that towers over the farm squeaks softly, the farmhouse windows lit with candles, each one a small, vivid glow. The house is still and empty, except for Applejack and Apple Bloom, both resting on their beds. Apple Bloom sighed gently, being in bed in an attempt to warm up from playing outside all day. The air’s hung heavy in the house, though she'd rather have it that way compared to the biting chill that reigned outside. She looked over to Applejack, a concerned look coming onto her face. Her sister laid there on the other side of the room, covered with a warm blanket, her chest rising and falling gently.

“You okay, sis?” Apple Bloom said, a hint of worry in her voice. Applejack being that quiet, even after a hard days work, was unusual.

She pondered. Was her older sister was upset, or maybe something worse?

“Mhm.” Applejack muffled, giving a slight nod. It was far from the truth, however. The arduous labor was only a straw in the hay bale of stress on her body and mind. Truth being told, even if the work was hard, it was at least something to take her mind off of what was really...bothering her. “Just… tired and sore…” She says, barley above a whisper.

Apple Bloom's interest grew even more as to what was ailing her sister.

“Ya sure…?” Apple Bloom pried on, “You’ve been in that bed since ya came in. Heck, Big Mac has talked more than you ‘ave today.”

A moment of silence filled the room.

Applejack soon piped up, “Well, Ah’ve just been… thinkin’ a lot. Don’t be goin’ on and worrin’ ‘bout me. Ah’ll be fine.”

Apple Bloom hopped out of bed, her hooves clopping softly on the wooden floor as she made her way to the bedroom door.

“Well… I’m gonna go wash up,” Apple Bloom said, giving a short glance towards her big sister before leaving. Applejack lifted her head and body, sitting up as she looked to the vacant doorway, quickly letting out heavy sigh. Her hoof finds its way under her blanket, briefly searching before she pulled her hoof out, a timeworn photograph unveiled. Her eyes panned the familiar picture, her face grimacing.

“Fifteen years… and Ah still don’ know why.” Applejack says to herself. She had been through Hearth’s Warming Eves before, but all the set backs and a meager crop this year was only salt to the wound. Because of the poor harvest, Hearth’s Warming was going to be scarcer than it already had been in the past. And the thought of a disappointed Apple Bloom only made Applejack hurt even more. “Aw well…” She sighs, sliding the picture into her hat, which hung on the headboard post, “Jus’ need some sleep, that’ll help…” Applejack rolled over to face the wall. The shift making the bed shake gently, though it’s enough to shake the picture free. It swoops and sways as it falls to the floor, unbeknownst to Applejack.


Apple Bloom walked into the bedroom, mane a bit damp from her wash, “Applejack?”

No Answer.

'Hm, must’ve been a longer bath than Ah thought.' Apple Bloom thought, listening for a second, the house still silent. “Ah thought Big Mac and Granny Smith would be back by now.” She says, Big Mac and Granny Smith having gone into town earlier that day in search of presents.

Applejack was fast asleep by now, darkness heavy outside as night moved into its later hours. Apple Bloom started towards her bed, suddenly halting as she felt something glide beneath her hoof.

“Huh? What’s this?” She says, raising a brow as she picks it up. Her eyes scan it, seeing two ponies, both looking strikingly familiar. One was a nice, sturdy stallion with a red coat and darker orange mane, bearing a cowpony hat and bandanna. The other pony, a beautiful mare, smiles wide, freckles speckled across her cheeks, her mane braided with red ties at the ends. “Where have Ah seen these ponies?” Apple Bloom examines even more, flipping the picture over, looking on the back. In faded black ink, almost illegible, is written: “Jonathan and Honeycrisp.”
Apple Bloom’s eyes widen as she gasps, “Mom and Dad!” She squeals out softly, how could she have missed it? They didn’t look too much younger than she remembers them from other photographs. Granted she was young when she had last seen them. She smiles, remembering all the stories she had heard from Applejack, all about how great and caring they were. How they would all play when they got home from school, and about the times when dad would make funny faces to cheer them up when they were sad. Apple Bloom looked around, wondering how it got on the bedroom floor in the first place. She looked over to Applejack, then back to the photo, tying the two together. It all made sense, all the quietness and relentless farm work. Applejack must’ve been missing them something fierce. It wasn’t unheard of for her sister to work hard to cope with things, and she knew for a fact Applejack would never share what was bothering her.

Apple Bloom looked at the slumbering Applejack, thinking.

“How could Ah cheer ya up?” She asked, sitting on her haunches. She rubs a hoof on her chin, fiddling with her bow, “Maybe if… nah.” She murmurs, “Or Ah could…Eh, too borin’.”

Apple Bloom rolled onto her back as she looked around, a unexpected idea popping into her head, “Hm… yeah…that’s it!” She says with a wide smirk as she gripped the photo in her mouth, trotting quietly to her saddle bags before sliding the photograph inside. She happily rushed into bed, looking over to her sister as she pulled her covers up, “Ah promise Applejack, you’ll never forget this Hearth’s Warming.”

Apple Bloom knew where she is heading first thing in the morning, and just the dragon she needed to see.


Applejack scrunched her face, stirring as she felt the warmth of the sun on her face, the shine coming in through the nearby window. She rubbed her eyes gently, yawning.
The night having mended her body and mind a tad, though a soft throb in her head remained. A glance at the clock catches her attention.

“Ah know Ah was tired, but shoot.” She mumbles to herself, the clock reading a bit past nine AM. Next to it, small calendar; today's date circled with ‘Hearth’s Warming Eve!’ in the middle.
Applejack huffed at the time, it being mighty late compared to when her usual morning rut begins. A brief stretch later, Applejack worked her way downstairs, making a bee-line for the kitchen. Her nose was assaulted with the usual smells of a warm, down home breakfast. Oh Celestia, did she love that smell. And just like honey to a bee, Granny Smith was there fixing it all together.
“Mornin’ Granny,” Applejack chirped with a gentle smile, pulling a chair out at the table.

Granny Smith gave her a short glance, “Heya there, Applejack, How’ja sleep?” Granny smith replies, intently adjusting her eyes to the stove, steam coming off the cast-iron pan as it sizzled and popped.

“Like a bear in the winter, Wha’ time did ya and Big Mac get back?” Applejack asked, fiddling with her silverware.

“Oh Ah dunno, ‘round mi’night?”

“That late sellin’ apples?” Applejack laughed a bit, “Ah didn’t think ya could stay up that late.”

Granny smith shrugged, a smile stretching across her face, “Well Ah didn’t, fell asleep in the wagon, Big Mac had’ta haul me back.” She laughed gingerly.

Applejack joined in a soft giggle, looking around the kitchen. She noticed something was out of place, but not exactly what. She looked at the table, seeing all the plates laid out, her eyes falling onto a smaller plate. Apple Bloom! Of course! Now that she thought about it, it had been mighty quiet around the house.

“Granny Smith, where’s Appleboom at? It’s not a schoolin’ day.” She says, her brow lowering to a confounded expression.

Granny brings some cinnamon rolls over to the tabletop, setting them down. “O’ no, not at all, your sister went on over’ta Twilight’s castle, she said somethin’ about that Spike feller and a letter.”

Applejack recoiled back, not guessing such an intention at all.

“What? What kinda ol’ letter is she tryin’ write? An’ for that matter, why’d she need Spike’s help?” She says, her voice raised. Not only is it unlike Apple Bloom to go over there, but if she’d need to just write a simple ole’ letter, why’d she need spike? They have plenty of paper, pencils, and stamps.

Granny Smith walked over, taking her seat behind a plate, “No need to get your feathers all rufflin’ and such, knowin’ that filly it had’ta of been of real importance.”


Spike grinned as he put his quill down on the table, skimming over the extensive letter. “Well Apple Bloom, it’s done!” Spike turned to face Apple Bloom, who sat in the seat neighboring him, “want me to go ahead and read it back to you?”

She gave a nod, a determined smile on her face, “Yep, Lemme hear it!”

Spike cleared his throat, “Ahem..”

“Dear Princess Luna,

My name is Apple Bloom. I’m writing you about my big sister, Applejack. You remember her, right? The element of Honesty? Well, she’s been missing our parents for a long while. They passed on a long time ago, and after thinking about it, I want to do something special for her. It may be a lot to ask, but I have one simple Heath’s Warming wish I want to come true. I want my sister to have a special dream tonight, since it’s Heath’s Warming Eve, one she’ll never forget. One where she gets to see our mom and dad again, one where she can relive the past and enjoy things I’m sure she misses an awful lot. She sure has earned such a present. I don’t care if I don’t get any presents, as long as my sister gets to truly be happy, even if it is for only a little while. that’s all that matters to me.

With love and apples,

Apple Bloom~

Apple Bloom nodded, “Well, sounds good enough, hope it’s not too plain or nothin’.”

Spike rolled it up, putting the picture Apple Bloom had brought along in the roll as he does so. “Oh don’t you worry, you spoke what you felt and truly wanted, that’s all you need to do.” He ties a sapphire blue ribbon around the roll, holding it out as he looked at it.

Apple Bloom stood up, taking her book bag and slinging it on, her mind diligent as she pondered, “Ah just want Applejack to be happy after this lil’ funk she’s been in, I know she’s an apple, but still,” She says, hopping out of her seat onto the floor, “Well, might as well giv’er a shot; send it!”

Spike took a deep breath before the green fire enveloped the scroll, and just like that, it was off.

Spike climbed down off of the chair, smiling towards Apple Bloom reassuringly, “Don’t you worry, if I know Luna, she would have no problem granting your wish.”

A small frown came to him as he saw Apple Bloom’s head lower, eyes closed.

Spike walked over and hugged her tenderly, “Look Apple Bloom, I know it has a lot of weight you’re counting on. Your sis is a hardworking pony that deserves what you want for her, but remember: You mean more than any gift in the world to her. You being you is the greatest gift you could give.” Spike gave a firm nod, moving next to her as they both started to walk out.

Apple Bloom looked to the side, “Ah know, but Ah wanna be the one ta’do somethin’ for her for once. She breaks her back everyday for me… Ah just want her to get somethin’ she really wants, heck, somethin’ she needs…”


Snowflakes flutter down gently onto the ground, Hearth’s Warming day only a few hours away now. Applejack entered the bathroom, needing some water on her face; still unbeknownst to the fact that the whereabouts of her favorite photo have changed.
Work. Hauling hay, bucking trees, gathering water from the well, what else would she do? Not to mention the light snow on the ground didn’t help at all.

She hadn’t a choice in the matter. It had to be done. Her hooves ached as she dipped them into sink, splashing her face, the warm water heavenly.

“Come on Applejack, it’s Hearth’s Warming tomorrow. Just…” She took a deep breath, exhaling shakily, “…relax.” She rested her hooves on the sink as she looked to the mirror hanging in front of her.

The stress on her face and the red in her eyes spoke more than any fancy words could. Applejack grabbed a small towel, dabbing her face to dry it. With a small nod to the mirror, she headed off to bed. Apple Bloom had gone to bed early. Oh Apple Bloom.

Applejack had pestered and prodded her as to why she had gone all the way to Twilights for a lil’ letter! Though Apple Bloom had never said why, she insisted it 'wasn’t nothin’'.

Applejack brushed it off eventually, more concerned now with sleep than an explanation. She took her hat off, putting it on the bed post. She wanted to just dive on into the bed. Wishful thinking she thought.

Sliding under the covers slowly, the aches in her bones rang out through her. A slave to the ‘fruits’ of her labor was nothing new, but that was the hitch. It wasn’t new; it was the story of her life. But as much as it hurt, she wouldn’t have it any other way. She was an apple.

With a final sigh, Applejack settled into bed, the sheets were soft and embracing, the down in her pillow seemed that much better. She cracked a soft smile, yawning as she rolled onto her side, facing Apple Bloom.

“Oh, sugarcube.” She said to herself, watching her younger sister sleep soundly. She wasn’t far behind; soon feeling her eyelids get heavy. It only took a couple minutes before sleep took Applejack as well.




Applejack’s eyes blinked open, light seeping through a cracked door across the room. Was it already morning? She rubbed her head, her eyes tweaking slowly to the low light of the room. “Wha…” She says faintly, “Was that door… it’s supposed ta’be over th-.” Applejack stops instantly. The room. It was her old room. “H-How?” a dumbstruck look written on her face, “This is a storage room now…” She swiftly threw the blankets off of her. It was true, this room was changed to storage years ago, so full of old junk that nopony could take as much as a step inside. But before then, it was her old room. With a swift trot to the door, Applejack jerked the door open. Before her was the den. The layout stumped her.

“How’d that ol’ couch get back in here… a-and that chair? That broke a leg off.” Applejack wiped her brow, how was all of this back? “Ah must be goin’ crazy…” She says.

“Nay, I believe thou is more than sound.”

Applejack looked behind her, a gasp slipping out of her. Before her was Luna, coming down the stairs with a lenient smile. Her mane shimmered, her body lit with a soft aurora of light that radiated off of her. Applejack reached for her hat, a soft smile forming as she realized she hadn’t even worn one. “Oh, Princess Luna, am Ah glad to see you, do you know what’s goin’ on ‘round here? Everythin’s… different.” She asked bewildered, looking around.

“Thou shalt thank thy little sister for that.” Luna said with a 'as-a-matter-of-fact' tone.

Applejack raised a brow, “What? Apple Bloom? What does she have ta’do with al’this?”

“Everything. I received a letter from her earlier today. She bid one thing for Hearth’s Warming. She wanted thee to have what thou have sought the most. And I felt it was worthy of my action.”

Luna walked into the den, Applejack tagging close behind. Applejack was stumbling over the thought that her little sister had something to do with this strange situation.

“What exactly did she want?” Applejack suspiciously asked.

Luna turned to face her, standing next to a mantle; old family pictures lined it graciously.

“She inquired for thee to have a pleasant dream of days long ago. She felt you had earned it, but don’t head my word. Ask them.”

Applejack hears a soft giggle from behind her. A repressed memory in her mind sparked. She recognized it. She turned her head slowly, her heart sinking. She tried to speak, but nothing came out.

“Howdy Applejack.” A deep voice bellows.
There behind her stood her mother and father. Both smiled wide and looked just like she remembered. Her mother had the same mane braid; her father had the same bandanna as always. Even the sweet scent of his favorite cologne was there.

Luna walked to Applejack’s side, standing proud next to her.

“Apple Bloom wished for ye to see thy parents once again.” She pointed a hoof to them, “They are just memories, yes, but you can do anything in dream..."

Luna paused, giving a soft nod, "They are as real as you believe.”

Applejack took a couple steps forward, not knowing what to say. Her skin burned with excitement, the sound of her heart beating ludly in her ears.

Her mother stepped forward, “My how you have grown!” she says with a large smile.

Her father nodded, “Almost as big as Ah am.” A soft baritone chuckle escaping.

Applejack moved closer, not saying anything as she darted to them, pulling them into a tight hug. Their warmth rushed through her, making her shake like a leaf.

“I-I missed y’all s-so much!” She says, emotion powering over her. Her parents returned the embrace, holding her tightly. A single tear rolled down Applejack’s face. Oh how she has yearned and begged to be able to do this again. “Sorry Ah’m getting’ so sappy here, just… happy.” As if that word could do everything she is feeling justice.

Her mother grinned, “Ah know what’ll cheer ya right up! A nice, warm, good ol’ fritter!”

Applejack nodded rapidly, "You know that's my favorite."

Her mother moved and trotted off to the kitchen, her father following close behind as he playfully chased her mother.

Applejack turned to Luna, almost forgetting her presence, “A-Ah want ta’ thank you, Luna… for everythin’.” Applejack tried to save a little face, a hoof coming to wipe her eye.

Luna shook her head softly, leaning down the orange mare, “I do believe thou should thank Apple Bloom.”

Applejack smiled, “Ah will, but without your understandin’, this wouldn’t of been. It does mah heart some good, and is much appreciated.”

Honeycrisp called from the kitchen, “Applejack! ya better come on and get yourself some fritter ‘fore your daddy goes on and eats it all!”

Applejack shook her head with a gentle smile, giving a glance up to Luna, “Well, Ah better go and enjoy it while it lasts. Thank you…” With a final wink, Applejack ran off, laughing, “If Ah get in there and there ain’t no fritter left…!” Her voice trailed off.

Luna giggled gently, knowing her work here had been done. With a flash of light, she headed off to other dreams, leaving the Apples to each other for a long over due night.

In Applejack’s room hung her hat, dangling on the bedpost where she had left it. The corner of a small, worn photograph poking out from inside.

Comments ( 8 )

Not bad for a first shot at a fic. Not bad at all. :twilightsmile:

Firstly, I loved the subject, Applebloom doing something special for AJ, even getting Luna in on the deal. Real Hearths Warming touchy feely stuff :) Got my feels going.

Okay, so constructive critique.

I'd use either page breaks or a line to separate different scenes. For example;

unexpected idea popping into her head, “Hm… yeah…that’s it!” She says with a wide smirk, gripping the photo in her mouth, trotting quietly to her book bag, sliding it inside. She happily climbs in bed, looking over to her sister as she lies down, “Ah promise Applejack, you’ll never forget this Hearth’s Warming.” She says, Applebloom knowing where she is heading first thing in the morning, and just the dragon she needs to see.




Applejack scrunched her face, stirring as she felt the warmth of the sun on her face, the shine coming in through the window nearby. She rubs her eyes gently, yawning faintly, the night having mended her body and mind a tad, though a soft throb in her head remains. A glance to her clock catches her off guard as she sees the time, “Ah know Ah was tired, but shoot.” She mumbles to herself, the clock reading a bit past nine AM. Next

Just picking that one out, a dotted line in between the paragraphs would more clearly separate the two scenes.

Also you're doing one of the things I was caught doing, what is called a 'wall of text'.

Applebloom’s eyes widen as she gasps, “Mom and Dad!” She squeals out softly, how could she have missed it? They didn’t look too much younger than she remembers them from other photographs. Granted she was young when she had last seen them. She smiles, remembering all the stories she had heard from Applejack, all about how great and caring they were. How they would all play when they got home from school, and about the times when dad would make funny faces to cheer them up when they were sad. Applebloom looked around, wondering how it got on the bedroom floor in the first place. She looked over to Applejack, then back to the photo, tying the two together. It all made sense, all the quietness and relentless farm work. Applejack must’ve been missing them something fierce. It wasn’t unheard of for her sister to work hard to cope with things, and she knew for a fact Applejack would never share what was bothering her. “How could Ah cheer ya up?” She says to Applejack, knowing she’s still in slumber. She sits on her haunches and starts to ponder. She rubs a hoof on her chin, fiddling with her bow, “Maybe if… nah.” She says, “Or Ah could…Eh, too borin’.” She rolls onto her back as she looks around, a unexpected idea popping into her head, “Hm… yeah…that’s it!” She says with a wide smirk, gripping the photo in her mouth, trotting quietly to her book bag, sliding it inside. She happily climbs in bed, looking over to her sister as she lies down, “Ah promise Applejack, you’ll never forget this Hearth’s Warming.” She says, Applebloom knowing where she is heading first thing in the morning, and just the dragon she needs to see.

It can be heavy going to read through. But it just needs breaking up a bit, into smaller paragraphs so it's easier on the eye :)

Hope these little pointers help, and please produce more happy stories like this :) I love happy stories, even though I can't seem to write them myself :fluttercry:

Comment posted by -Skyline- deleted Nov 8th, 2015

Aww this is so sweet and heart warming. :twilightsmile: and this is really your first fic? Great job!

Please don't bold the entire description.

A very sweet short story. If you'd ask me however I would put Luna's revelation at the end of the dream because I feel like if she appeared in my dream from the beginning, I would immediately know it was a dream and nothing more than that. By revealing her at the end however do I feel would have a bigger impact on Applejack seeing her parents again.

“Look Applebloom, I know it has a lot of weight you’re counting on. Your sis is a hardworking pony that deserves what you want for her, but remember: You mean more than any gift in the world to her. You being you is the greatest gift you could give.”

I feel like this could've been more expanding on as well, as the story ends in the middle of the dream and we don't see any interactions between them after Applebloom writes the letter. It could've been nice to ending up on the morning with them having a heartfelt conversation.

"I've waited so long to fulfill one Last Wish..." -Riven of A Thousand Voices

I would strongly give your story a description, telling the potential reader what the story is about and thus making it easier for them to know if they actually want to read it or not. Just some friendly advice. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment