• Published 3rd Jun 2012
  • 2,296 Views, 10 Comments

Twilight Sparkle the Foalsitter - Hawk Noctis



Twilight foalsits the son of Shining Armor and Princess Cadence.

  • ...
2
 10
 2,296

Chapter 2: The Search

Twilight ran around the library frantically as she tried to figure out how she could have possibly missed Blazing Star leaving the library. She had only left the young colt alone with Pip for less than a minute and he had somehow found a way out without her knowing it. Celestia only knew where the little pony could have gone by now.

“No no no no no no! How could this have happened? I turned my back for less than a minute and he's gone!” Exclaimed Twilight. She turned toward Spike, hoping her number one assistant would have a solution to the problem. “Did you hear or see anything?”

“Of course not. I'm just as confused as you are Twilight!” Said Spike. Twilight let out a loud groan of despair. “Let's just go outside and look for him. He couldn't have gone too far in such a short amount of time.”

“Of course! I'm sure he's still outside the library!” Exclaimed Twilight. She quickly ran down the stairs and opened the front door of the library. Twilight took several steps outside and looked around. There was no sign of the little colt anywhere. Using her magic, Twilight teleported to the other side behind the library. Still she saw no sign of Blaze. Even when she looked down the streets of Ponyville she saw nothing.

“Do you see him?” Asked Spike as he walked outside the library.

“No... he's nowhere in sight...” said Twilight as she slumped to the ground in a sitting position. “I've really messed up this time. I just lost track of my own nephew! Ohhhh Shining Armor and Cadence will be furious when they find out!” Twilight gasped in horror. “Oh Celestia! They will banish me from Equestria for sure! Or have Princess Celestia send me to the moon! Or...” Twilight was silenced as her young adopted dragon placed one of his small hands in front of her.

“They aren't going to come back here for a few more hours Twilight. We have plenty of time to search Ponyville,” said Spike.

“But Shining Armor and Cadence are somewhere in town! What if they see us? What if they see us without their son?!”

“Okay so we just have to be careful not to run into them. That's easy enough. Let's go ask around to see if anypony has seen Blaze.” With that, Spike and Twilight began to run off to find Blaze. Unaware of Pip standing at the doorway of the library.

“But Blaze was...” The colt sighed, realizing his attempts were futile. He walked back in to the library to grab his saddlebag when suddenly Blazing Star jumped down from one of the higher up book shelves nearby the door. Pip jumped back in surprise, having thought that the younger colt had left already. “I saw you go through the door! How did you get back in?”

“I did leave. I hid under a bush and then quickly rushed back in after the door was opened again. Then I climbed up the book shelves as quietly as I could and then jumped back down!” Exclaimed Blaze proudly.

“Wow! That's amazing! How were you able to do all that without being noticed?” Asked Pip, fascinated by the remarkable skill that the little colt possessed.

“My Daddy is Captain of the Royal Guard. He recently taught me all about stealth!” When Pip had moved to Ponyville from Trotingham, he never thought he would meet so many interesting ponies. First Princess Luna and then the son of a Captain from the military.

“That's so cool!” Blazing Star looked around the library as if he thought that they were being watched. He then motioned for Pip to come closer. With a growing sense of curiosity, the older colt walked over to find out what the issue was.

“Listen, I've got a super dangerous yet really important mission I have to go on. But I don't know the town very well. Will you come with me?” Asked Blaze in a very serious tone.

“Oh uh... sure. I've lived here for a few years so I know plenty about this town.”

“Good! Follow my lead!” Pip followed Blaze as he left the library, heading toward an unknown location in town. Pip was confident that whatever Blaze's mission was it couldn't be all that dangerous. Ponyville was a safe place, even after the incident that had happened at Canterlot several years ago.

* * * * *

“Maybe he went over to Sugarcube Corner?” Suggested Spike. “The Cakes are always making something irresistibly delicious that you can smell from several blocks away.”

“Yeah, I'm sure he just wanted desert and didn't tell us!” Said Twilight through clenched teeth. She was doing her best to not panic again but was having a hard time with it.

“Well if we are lucky, either the Cakes or Pinkie Pie will have...”

“Hi Twilight! Hi Spike!” Exclaimed Pinkie Pie as her head suddenly popped out of a flower pot on the ground near the entrance of Sugarcube Corner. Her head sunk back into the pot and then the crazy pink pony opened the front door and walked outside of the bakery. “What brings you two here on this fine afternoon? There are chocolate chip muffins on the sample tray and they are really good! You should try them!”

“Thanks Pinkie... but we aren't here to buy anything. We are looking for Blazing Star,” said Twilight.

“He somehow managed to get out of the library. We are trying to find him before his parents come back,” added Spike.

“Please tell me you've seen him, Pinkie! Cadence would be furious if she found out that I lost her son!” Cried Twilight.

“Nope, I haven't seen him yet. But I'm sure he'll turn up!” Said Pinkie Pie happily.

“But what if he doesn't?! What if he wanders into the Everfree Forest?!” The wild and frightened look in Twilight's eyes made Pinkie Pie step back nervously.

“You are going to drive yourself crazy with your wild 'what-ifs' you know,” said Pinkie Pie. “Well I'm not doing anything until the party later tonight, I'll help you two out!”

“R-really?” Asked Twilight, eager for any help she could get.

“Of course.” Pinkie Pie then frowned slightly. “That and I'd really rather not see you go all Lesson Zero on us... again.”

“Lesson Zero? Again? What are you talking about Pinkie?” Asked Twilight in confusion. She turned toward Spike whom shrugged.

“Never mind, it's not important right now. Let's go find us a lost colt!” Out of nowhere Pinkie Pie pulled out a magnifying glass and began to examine the ground with it. “If we put our noggins together I'm sure we can figure this out! We'll find that little colt in a flash!” Pinkie Pie looked up toward the sky and saw a low hanging cloud less than a few feet above the nearest house. Hanging off the side of the cloud was a rainbow tail. “We could ask Rainbow Dash, she might have seen him.”

Before Pinkie Pie could say another word, Twilight used her magic to bring the cloud down to the ground. Sure enough, Rainbow Dash was sleeping on the cloud. It was likely one of her 'power naps' as she liked to call it. A fancy way of saying she was sleeping on the job as usual. As the pegasus turned on her side, her eyes slowly opened. She closed them again only for a moment, but then she was wide awake and was looking around.

“Huh, don't remember this cloud being on the ground when I laid down on it...” Said Rainbow Dash in a bemused tone. She then noticed Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, and Spike standing there. Rainbow Dash swiftly kicked the cloud back up into the sky and hovered in the air above her friends. “Oh hey you three! What's up?”

“Oh nothing. Twilight lost track of her nephew and we are trying to find him,” explained Pinkie Pie cheerfully.

“Ah right, the happy couple were coming in to Ponyville today and...” The cyan pegasus stopped in mid sentence as the first part registered. “Wait, Blazing Star has gone missing? Ooooh boy, Cadence will have steam coming from her ears if she finds out.”

“Oh don't worry. We'll find him long before Cadence and Shining Armor come back to the library! Ponyville isn't that big a town he can't have gone too far, right?” Said Twilight, as her confidence was betrayed by her twitching eye.

“How about this? I'll fly around Ponyville to see if I can find him.” Rainbow Dash proudly showed off her wings and flapped them several times. “This will go way faster if you have some wing power on your side.”

“Oooh! Oooh! Good idea Dashie! With three ponies on the job we'll find him in no time at all!” Said Pinkie Pie.

“I'll go east, you three go west. If I see the little colt somewhere I'll let you know.” In the blink of an eye Rainbow Dash went zooming off into the distance.

“We'll go along this street for awhile. Hopefully Blaze will show up sooner or later,” said Twilight. She levitated Spike off the ground and onto her back. “Let's get moving!” Twilight Sparkle started galloping as fast as she could while Pinkie Pie somehow managed to keep up with her simply by hopping. A few minutes later, the two ponies found themselves standing in the middle of the market district. Shops in this particular area of Ponyville consisted mostly of tents and wagons that had been turned into displays of various products being sold.

“Come get yer delicious apples here! Grown in Sweet Apple Acres with only the finest tender love and care. Ya won't believe how delicious our apples are!” Exclaimed a familiar voice. Twilight and Pinkie Pie approached the large wagon of apples. Sure enough, Applejack was there behind the counter. “Well well, looks like some of my best friends came to visit. Come to buy some of our delicious apples?” Asked Applejack.

“Not today Applejack. We're looking for Blazing Star,” said Spike.

“Blazing Star? Ya just missed 'im a few minutes ago. He and Pipsqueak stopped by here and bought a few apples,” said Applejack.

“What?! A few minutes?! How did he get all the way out here so quickly?!” Exclaimed Twilight in a panic.

“More importantly, where are his parents? Little Blaze is too young to be wanderin' around without an older family member nearby. Sure Pipsqueak was with him, but even Pip is still a bit too young if ya ask me. Heck I had no idea that those two colts knew each other, small world I guess.”

“I knew we should have asked Pip if he had seen Blaze...” Muttered Spike.

“Which way did they go?!” Asked Twilight.

“Oh uhh, looked like they were headin' off that way. Ya might want to ask Rarity since her boutique is in that direction,” answered Applejack.

“Of course! With Rarity's attention to detail she surely saw those two little colts running by at some point!” Exclaimed Twilight as her right ear began to twitch repeatedly. “Onward we go!” Twilight and Pinkie Pie left and started to head toward Rarity's boutique.

It wasn't long before the boutique finally came into view. As they drew closer, Pinkie Pie suddenly stopped dead in her tracks and her tail suddenly shot right up and stayed that way for several seconds. This sudden spasm of movement was ignored by Twilight whom continued to approach the boutique.

“Almost there! Let's go and...” Before Twilight could finish, Pinkie Pie reached over and pulled her back behind the corner of a nearby building. “What are you doing?!”

“Look around the corner toward the tables at that restaurant,” said Pinkie Pie. Twilight peeked her head from behind the corner to see what Pinkie Pie was talking about. Almost instantly, the lavender unicorn gasped and hid back behind the building.

“Of all the restaurants that those two had to pick, they chose that one!” Exclaimed Twilight. Sure enough, Princess Cadence and Shining Armor were sitting at one of the nearby tables. They were eating sandwiches and seemed too lost in their conversation to notice anything around them. “How are we going to get past them?! They'll surely notice me and Spike if we try to sneak past them!”

“Calm down Twilight, I'm sure there is a way around them,” said Spike. Twilight looked around, trying to find another way to get to Rarity's boutique. Maybe they could go around the long way. Or maybe they could climb up onto the roof and get past the restaurant that way. Twilight's eyes then fixed on a large wood crate that didn't have a top. That was when she came up with an idea.

“That's it!” Said Twilight. She used her magic to bring the crate over and placed it over herself, Spike, and Pinkie Pie. She then fired a small beam of energy at the front of the crate to create small holes that could be seen through. “We'll just go across the street with this!”

“I'm not sure if this is the best idea I've heard of or the worst,” said Spike.

“Oooh! This reminds me of that one human who uses a cardboard box to sneak past bad guys! What was his name? Sold Sake? Solid Shake?” Asked Pinkie Pie.

Twilight sighed and rolled her eyes. “Pinkie Pie, what are in the hay are you talking about? You do know that humans are just a mythical creature, right?” Asked Twilight.

“It's Pinkie Pie, just roll with it,” said Spike.

“Yeah you're right. Let's just get this over with.” Both Pinkie Pie and Twilight began to push the box across the street. Fortunately not many ponies were walking along that particular road, so the sight of a moving box didn't draw as much attention as it would on a busier street of Ponyville. It was difficult to hear all of it, but Twilight was able to listen in on some of the conversation her brother and Cadence were having.

“This is such a nice town, I can see why Twilight speaks so fondly of it,” said Princess Cadence.

“Yeah, it's nice to get away from Canterlot for a little while,” added Shining Armor.

“Hellloooooo?! You in there Twilight?” Asked Pinkie Pie as she knocked her hoof against Twilight's head.

“W-what? Yeah I was just... distracted,” said Twilight.

“Okey dokey lokey!” They continued to push the box, trying to avoid any unwanted attention as best they could given their unusual method of getting past their current obstacle. As they got near the boutique, Twilight turned around with the box to see how far they were from the restaurant. By now they were at a safe enough distance that they could leave the box.

“I wasn't sure if that would work, but I guess it did,” said Twilight cheerfully.

“Sometimes you just gotta think inside a box!” Added Pinkie Pie.

“Pinkie, the phrase is 'think outside of the box',” corrected Twilight.

“Oh Twilight, you are silly. How can we think outside of the box if we were in the box? That's simply not possible.”

“But...” Twilight sighed and shook her head. “Nevermind, let's just go and talk to Rarity.” As they approached the door, it opened up and Fluttershy walked out.

“Oh,” said Fluttershy softly, surprised to see some of her friends standing there. “Hey you three, are you here to see Rarity?”

“Ah fair Lady Rarity, how could we possibly resist the opportunity to be in the presence of such a lovely mare,” said Spike as he went into some sort of day dream about his big crush.

Twilight Sparkle rolled her eyes and looked back over at the yellow pegasus. “Yeah, we were hoping to ask Rarity if she's seen somepony. Is she available?” She asked.

“Oh yes, we just got back from the spa about twenty minutes ago. I lost track of the time and I really need to get back and take care of my animals before the party tonight,” said Fluttershy.

“Okay, see you later tonight Fluttershy.”

“Bye,” said Fluttershy. She waved goodbye and left, heading back to her cottage. Twilight enveloped the door handle with her magic and opened it. As the door opened the little bell next to it rang. Rarity came walking out of one of the side rooms of the boutique, her glasses hung on her horn and her measuring tape was around the back of her neck.

“Twilight, Pinkie Pie, and of course my little Spikey Wikey. What brings you three here?” Asked Rarity.

“We were hoping you've seen Blazing Star!” Said Pinkie Pie.

“Blazing... Star? You mean Twilight's nephew? I'm afraid I haven't seen him since the party in Canterlot last year, darling. Why?”

“Long story short, he somehow left the library without me knowing it and now we are trying to find him before my brother and Cadence come back to check on him,” said Twilight.

“Oh that makes sense I supp.... wait what?!” Shouted Rarity as her voice fluctuated. “That little colt is practically royalty, forged from Canterlot's finest...” Rarity's eye started to twitch. “And you say... you... lost... him?”

“Hehehehe that's funny Rarity. Are you working on your Princess Cadence impression? Because I'm sure those are going to be her exact words and tone when she finds out,” said Pinkie Pie as she started giggling profusely.

“Oh Celestia! Cadence will never speak to me again if she learns of this!” Cried Twilight hysterically as she dropped to the floor and covered her face with her front legs. “She entrusted me with this task and I really blew it!”

“Calm down darling. I'm sure he'll show up,” said Rarity as she lightly patted Twilight's back.

“Yeah! Rainbow Dash can see lots of stuff from the sky. She will surely spot him!” Said Pinkie Pie reassuringly.

“I hope you are right, it's almost been an hour since we began our search and he still hasn't shown up yet,” said Twilight. She slowly got back up and began to walk toward the door. “Well I guess we'll just have to keep searching then.”

“Best of luck! And I'll see you all at the party tonight,” said Rarity. “I'd help you search for Blaze if I could but I really need to get this one dress finished for an order as soon as possible.”

“It's okay Rarity. We can handle this!” Said Spike confidently. Twilight, Pinkie, and Spike left Rarity's boutique and went outside. Before they could go much further they saw Rainbow Dash flying toward them.

“Okay, I've got good news and bad news. Which one do you want to hear first?” Asked Rainbow Dash as she landed on the ground.

“Did you find him?!” Exclaimed Twilight frantically. “Tell me that's the good news!”

“Yup, the good news is that I found Blaze. Looks like the little colt is heading back toward the library.”

“Great! What's the bad news?” Asked Spike.

“It looks like Shining Armor and Princess Cadence are on their way back to the library as well.” Twilight's pupils became smaller than a bread crumb and she began to babble incomprehensibly as her eye started to twitch... again.