• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 1,490 Views, 73 Comments

The Void Rift Crisis - Visiden Visidane



A young alicorn seeks information on a world-changing event.

  • ...
2
 73
 1,490

Prior - Lexarius

I have heard that accusation far too many times, young one. No matter how many times I speak on the matter, it keeps coming up. I would say that it is getting tiring, but it has gotten tiring a long time ago. How long has passed since that incident? The Void Rift Crisis heralded the beginning of the Sixteenth Cycle. We are already discussing who the Seventeenth Ascendant will be, but this topic still keeps coming up.

So, let me make it clear yet again. None of us seek to absolve Turbo Pinnae of what happened with the Agamanthion, not even His Majesty. He is tied to the Void Rift Crisis, no matter how much we wish otherwise. Yet, so many in the Herd, most especially those ignorant of any of the events surrounding the Void Rift Crisis, act and speak as if the true Void Rift Crisis involved Pinnae leading our destruction while cackling madly. He is no villain. He never was. The Void Rift Crisis does not need such a thing to point at. Indeed, this question distracts us from asking far more important questions regarding the Agamanthion.

What had gone wrong, you ask?

Pinnae was reckless. There is no hiding that. I do not believe that he meant to be reckless, or even considered that he might be, but I do suspect that he was during those fateful moments, and a few moments of weakness is all you need when dealing with such powerful forces. Understanding why requires that we look at the circumstances he was in.

I knew Pinnae well; he frequently attended many of Empyrea's councils with me. He was also well-versed in our dealings with the other heavenly realms. Contrary to what Gravitas has been saying, Pinnae was also a skilled fighter. He accounted well for himself in several Ida tournaments, and he was among the first to respond when that centimanus threatened to breach our planar boundaries, even earlier than Gravitas and his retinue. It was because he was the King-to-be that many of us begged him to fall back, hence his absence when the fighting briefly broke out.

Do you know of when Sanctus Dominus' legend in Ida began? No, it wasn't with the first single combat tournament he joined. The first major victory he had was in a trio fighting tournament. Silva Inber "fails" to mention this, most likely because His Majesty at that time served as Pinnae's second. It was when Sanctus Dominus' skill grew more and more acknowledged did Pinnae lessen his trips to Ida. He understood his limitations, and did not want to limit himself in Sanctus Dominus' shadow. He was also a stallion deeply concerned with the inner workings of our Herd, and couldn't be contented with forever proving himself in Ida. I believe that, even if he proved himself stronger than Sanctus Dominus, Turbo Pinnae would have stopped coming at some point.

To simplify it, Pinnae was skilled in everything he set his mind to, and he set his mind to many things in his attempts to find his role in the Herd. But being skilled and excelling are different things. Perhaps, knowing that he was the King-to-be, Pinnae sought more from himself than any of us did. Sanctus Dominus far outshone him as a warrior, and as a leader of warriors. Though, in all honesty, Sanctus Dominus has done that to all of us. In terms of diplomacy, Divina Gratia and I were of more note. It was so in every endeavor, and it must have been frustrating.

The Sixteenth Ascension was approaching, and it was understandable that Pinnae sought one great accomplishment before all his endeavors were tied to the Throne. Perhaps, he still wished to prove himself worthy. He certainly wasn't deaf to the whispers about Sanctus Dominus' own worth. Our beloved Herd had a hoof in pushing him, but will anyone take responsibility? Of course not.

And that is where the Agamanthion entered the picture. Pinnae's scholarly work was where he was peerless. His focus and passion was the lost Sixth Cycle, a topic in desperate need of more answers. Even the Seekers saw him as the one to bring light to a matter that had spent cycles in the dark. It delighted him to find a place in which he was needed so badly, and he was determined not to disappoint. I, for one, think that it was a noble sentiment, an overflowing desire to be of use. It is a pity that it led where it did.

To unlock the mystery of the Agamanthion drove Turbo Pinnae harder than anything else. I feared that it was becoming a dangerous obsession. Sanctus Dominus saw it too, without a doubt. We spoke to him of our concerns, but he didn't listen. There was that moment when he even accused His Majesty of deliberately holding him back out of a desire not to be outshone. Let me tell you, that was probably the only blow ever to land so solidly on His Majesty.

Is that blame in your gaze? Understandable. Looking back now, it's easy to say we should have done more than worry and warn. We didn't. I suppose it was partly because it was not so easy to go up against the future King when even a colt could see how much it meant to him. I think that, deep down, we all held on to the hope that he would succeed. Because it was a cause worth succeeding in, and he was the best among us to do so.

I hold no grudge against Turbo Pinnae. You'll be surprised how many of us don't. He has lost his ascension, he will forever be remembered for this disaster, he was nearly wiped from existence, and he has damaged the Herd he loves with all his heart. Yes, loves. Is that so hard to believe?

So much anguish awaits him upon his restoration. More than enough for any one stallion. I fear that Gravitas' propositions won't even be necessary should that time come. Turbo Pinnae will likely exile himself to the far reaches of Vestibulum in expiation. That is the sort of stallion he is.