• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 1,490 Views, 73 Comments

The Void Rift Crisis - Visiden Visidane



A young alicorn seeks information on a world-changing event.

  • ...
2
 73
 1,490

The Sixteenth's Reign - Gravitas

I have seen a few cycles in my time, colt, and the sixteenth has been undoubtedly the most trying of them all. I dare say that it has been the most trying of all the Herd's cycles. I do not regret living through it. Quite the opposite, it has been my honor to fight for my beloved Herd in its time of troubles, just as it remains my honor to serve the Sixteenth Ascendant.

Oh, is that a look of disappointment, colt? Expecting me to storm over the King's reign?

Make no mistake about it, I have nothing but respect for Sanctus Dominus. Though I question many of his choices, he has led the Herd to both recovery, and a new-found respect from the other heavenly realms. From the way Lexarius speaks, one would think that I am already plotting some kind of rebellion. What a foolish notion. His Majesty follows his own path as always, and there is much to respect about that, no matter how much or how little my opinions align with his.

And my disagreements with His Majesty are greatly exaggerated. You may have noticed that I have made great strides in the improvement of our military might. Once, we had been reduced to a few scattered skirmishes across Ida and a few tournaments, we now have organized battles of great scale, and frequent tournaments for even our children to be prepared. Our training centers are booming again, as they haven't for several cycles. The presence of our sentinels in our borders are now at a number I am also comfortable with. Are these the signs that I have been reduced to an ineffectual complainer by His Majesty? I think not.

Nevertheless, it is true that there are some policies I strongly agree with.

I have said this before, and I say it again, Sanctus Dominus' own benevolence creates unnecessary risks within the Herd. Too little punishment has been given to those deserving of it.

Without a doubt, the Void Rift Crisis is one of the most terrible things that has ever happened to the Herd, but it has done something that we should heed. It has exposed us. It showed who among us are truly brave, and who are cowards. It revealed the dangers of reckless experimentation combined with excessive sentimentality. It is only prudent that we learn from this. The Herd must be purged of those who cannot fight to defend it. The Seekers must be brought to a halt, and the relics of their cycle destroyed. So long as these alicorns remain as they are, we always face the risk of another Void Rift Crisis, or worse.

Yet, His Majesty has allowed them to continue to exist here. I admire his confidence in believing that he can take care of any danger to our Herd, and he is likely right, but it is better to expect the very worst of both the situation, and the alicorns involved, than to risk being unprepared for future problems.

The sight? Hmph! Don't make me laugh. How trustworthy is Her Majesty's sight? It did nothing to predict the Void Rift Crisis now, did it? Yes, we have seen it work, but there is a gap between what Her Majesty sees, and what Her Majesty says. I, for one, would rather not depend on her every word, especially when she says so little. Don't be fooled when you come upon Her Majesty's glowing presence. That is the light of the Throne shining through her. The power of dark sheds no light of its own. Isn't that foreboding in its own right?

Yes, you must have heard it from others as well, colt, you are a rumor-monger after all. I did not approve of His Majesty's choice for his mate. In this, I was not alone, but I am the most vocal.

I do not fully trust Her Majesty. I think her role in the Void Rift Crisis is highly suspect. I am not convinced by the talk that the Agamanthion clouded her sight as it seems quite convenient. She has made it clear that it was her motion to spare the Seekers from further punishment, and it is worrying that His Majesty defers to her in matters of soldierly concern, when she has shown even less inclination for soldierly matters than Lexarius and Procul Ocularus. Certainly, the power of dark is an ominous "blessing" to have. After the Void Rift Crisis, should it come as a surprise if we find it disturbing that our Queen is blessed with the power of dark?

Dark and sunlight being...bah! Don't recite that nonsense Silva Inber spews to any who listen. The Herd won't be protected by poetic musings!

Now, their son, Prince Oceanus, there is an alicorn that shows great promise, and radiates assurance. He is a skilled warrior, unbeaten in Ida, just like his father, though I wish he would spend more time there. Our warriors learn from the defeats they suffer at his hooves. Unfortunately, he is easily bored of one-sided duels. Fortunately, he appears just as easily bored by the endless debates all throughout Empyrea. I did not like that he tinkered with the Sixth Ascendant's notes on Necromancy, but his commentary allows our warriors better insight on a school of magic so hard to prepare for. That, and that he appears to have lost interest in Seeker work. Once he finds his focus, I am sure he will be perfect for the seventeenth ascension.

Celestia? Pah, there is little good to say of her: mischievous, unfocused, clearly spoiled by not bearing the same responsibility as her older brother. She gives sense to the tendency of alicorns to have only one foal. I cannot even imagine how it will be for the third child that Her Majesty is already carrying. I will admit that she acquitted herself well during the most recent Young Fighter's Tournament in Ida; Ferro Cornu and Novacula Lingua could not have been easy foes, and she was the youngest participant. Still, she was soundly beaten by Solis Coruscaria, and, for a daughter of Sanctus Dominus who shares in the same blessing, that is simply disappointing. She is fortunate to be secondborn.

I have high hopes for the future, pensive I may sound over some developments during the sixteenth. We have had a strong cycle, despite our struggles, and a more promising candidate for the seventeenth ascension. I highly doubt I will remain undiminished for even half of the next cycle, but I do believe I can rest easy with what we have accomplished.