• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 1,488 Views, 73 Comments

The Void Rift Crisis - Visiden Visidane



A young alicorn seeks information on a world-changing event.

  • ...
2
 73
 1,488

The Broken Blade - Conlis Corde

You have a good eye for detail, colt, or is it a good ear? Yes, something did come of the sword that Sanctus Dominus shattered on the Agamanthion's heart. I suppose I should start at the beginning of the matter.

I crafted Sanctus Dominus' twin swords for him after he won his first single combat tournament in Ida. Before that, he was using blade-shaped beams of sunlight; powerful, but draining to maintain. During the finals of the trio team tournament from earlier, he had been in trouble precisely because of that cost.

The left blade was Desiderium Cordis, the right blade is Sol Fata. Odd names, you say? Why? Perhaps you thought it would be more related to the power of sunlight? Something like "Zenith" perhaps?

The truth be told, I was planning something like that while I was still watching him fight, and shortly after his victory. It was only when I learned more of him, that I altered my design.

If that misbegotten Void Rift Crisis had never happened, Sanctus Dominus would still be spending all of his time wandering the Herd in search of fights to test himself. Indeed, I think he might even depart from our world, and wander Vestibulum, or other places in search of adventure and a worthy fight. He had that restless spirit in him, and he seemed happiest in the exhilaration of valor. If he had his way, he would never choose another path besides that wandering one.

But I knew what was bound to happen. His Majesty's strength has no equal, and this was before his ascension. Such power is always drawn to grave and important matters, no matter how much one wishes to avoid them. The swords I crafted were meant to reflect those two aspects of his life; that which he wants to do, and that which he will inevitably.

Is it truly a coincidence that it was his heart's desire that shattered when he struck the Agamanthion? Did not the end of the Void Rift Crisis signal the end of his carefree, wandering days? Even after Sanctus Dominus has stepped away from the Throne, he will always be the Sixteenth Ascendant, and that will always resonate in Ida. Who would even dare face him without trembling? I fear that even Divina Gratia would be hard-pressed to keep him from wandering off to distant realms once the sun crown no longer rests on his head. I suppose that it would be possible that we would lose both of them to the endless gray of Vestibulum.

I was not the only one who saw the meaning of this, apparently. Shortly after His Majesty proposed to her, Divina Gratia came to me with the four pieces of Desiderium Cordis. I had thought them lost after such a massive blast, but I suppose her sight is capable of such wonders. Her Majesty asked me to forge weapons out of the pieces, each one meant for her children.

You can imagine that this was quite a shock. Her Majesty could have simply requested me to forge new weapons afresh instead of reusing a broken sword. That she also asked that I forge as my whims directed me, for alicorns not even born, was also odd. There is a good chance that the pieces will not fit their wielders if I simply go off on a whim while I craft them. True, I have many weapons here in stock that have no specific wielders, but that is why I do not give them out so easily. These weapons already have assigned owners. I tried to explain this to her, but she waved it off with a smile.

Perhaps, Her Majesty had already seen the results, or, more frighteningly, she might have influenced my forging without my knowledge. It also did not escape me that she was asking for four separate weapons. That meant she expected four children. An astonishing number! That's three more than any of the other ascendants, indeed, three more than most alicorn parents. Her own parents completed their first diminishing and restoration before conceiving her as their only child. She expected to conceive four in a fraction of that time.

Of course I complied, even with the odd conditions. I was not going to refuse our Queen, and one of the heroes of the Void Rift Crisis. It also certainly piqued my interest.

I have already completed Glacies Anima out of the right edge for Prince Oceanus, and I am quite proud of the result. That the slender blade fits his power of water, and even his fighting style, so well is quite chilling. I know my will, and I know that I crafted as I wanted to, but it is hard to shake off the feeling that there is another's direction moving me as well. Truly, Her Majesty's sight, and her power of dark, leaves me in awe. But there is still a chance that it was mere coincidence.

That's why I am curious as to how this second weapon will fit. Aurea Gloriam is still too big for young Princess Celestia to wield, so I can't be sure how well she and the tip-forged spear take to each other. I have heard that the thieving scamp injured a wing when it fell on her after she tried to make off with it before the right time. I swear, His Majesty spoils that filly, likely because he is secure in Oceanus' capabilities as the next King. Why, when Her Majesty took her along to claim the spear, she tried to steal one of the knives an apprentice of mine was working on!

That leaves me with two pieces: the hilt with the broken base of the blade for the thirdborn, and the left edge for the lastborn. I already have some ideas, but I will hold off crafting them until I see how well the princess wields Gloriam. If they are clearly incompatible, I shall ask Her Majesty to reconsider, and let me observe the candidate before forging. Or, it's possible that no more children will be born. I know she has this sight, but four children?

Nevertheless, I do think I understand some of the reasoning. His Majesty has given his left blade to save the Herd, and take the Throne. Yet, Desiderium Cordis is not lost, it has simply transformed, now living on as regalia for his beloved children. Now you know the fate of the once-broken blade.