• Published 7th Sep 2016
  • 1,406 Views, 20 Comments

Flight - TheUnknownPerson



A year after the Pie Family was attacked by Pinkie Pie, Marble Pie realizes the real reason why her family was attacked. After hearing this, she runs away from the Pie Rock Farm, afraid to stay in the same house with them. Where will she go?

  • ...
0
 20
 1,406

X: Fragments

Pinkie sat down beside Maud. She had a small bowl of rock soup, taking a small sip. Cloudy Quartz and Igneous Rock were sat at the other end of the kitchen table, each with their own glass of water. A strong tension coated the room.

"It... it's been a while." Pinkie said in a weak attempt to dissolve the some of the tension. Igneous and Cloudy nodded.

"It's nice to see you Pinkie, but I think we all know we're not here to just small talk."

Igneous sighed. "No need to hide it anymore. You can tell us where Marble is now."

"I-I can't." Pinkie glanced downwards to the wooden table below.

"You have to Pinkie. You can't just keep her away from us."

"Don't make me keep her away." Pinkie bared her teeth. How couldn't they understand? "All I want is for this family to get together again. But you- you force my hooves every time and push us back another two steps. I'm tired of fighting with you two!"

"We never do that. You're the one who nearly killed us all last year!" Igneous exclaimed as he stood.

"Oh yeah, keep on using it to justify your own wrongs! I've admitted to it was wrong! When'll you do the same?!" Pinkie angrily slammed her hooves against the table as she stood.

"Pinkamena Diane--"

Cloudy brought a single hoof to Igneous chest. He looked down to her with a sigh before sitting down. "Pinkie, you know why I can't. Our family name would be ruined, the farm would go out of business- nopony can know. That includes Marble."

"But can't you just speak to her, for Celestia' sake? How could you know she wouldn't actually go to anypony with it?"

"That's a risk I can't take. This is the only way to ensure our family's past remains buried. So, I'll ask again," Igneous leaned into the table, resting his fore-hooves atop the wooden table. "where is Marble?"

"You expect me to breath a word of where she is after what you just said?" She asked. Her mane had begun to deflate from the stress of the situation. Igneous groaned, rubbing the bridge of his snout.

"Where is she? I need to insure she doesn't tell anypony."

"And how exactly are you gonna insure that? Hm?" She questioned. Igneous stared her down, his blood beginning to boil.

"I could show you if you'd like." He said with an undertone of anger in his voice.

"You already have, remember?"

"Don't bring that into this- I just need a location, a single subject and you'll be free to go." Igneous asked. Pinkie shook her head.

"You are not going to do to her what you did to me, I'll guarantee you that."

"We'll see about that..." He said under his breath as he took a sip from his cup. Maud followed suit, taking a drink from her rock soup.

"I'm sorry, this has gotten too bad. Please, Pinkie- all we'd need is a simple word, just one or two and we'll be set. You can lead us there if you want." Cloudy offered. Pinkie shook her head.

"No."

Igneous lowly growled. "You have no right to do this!"

"You have no right to chase her! She's a grown mare! You had no right to chop off my bucking wings, but even after all this time, not once have I used it against you- not once!" Pinkie stood, kicking back her chair. Igneous stood.

"You know we had no choice!" He trotted up to her, raising his hoof to her. Maud quickly rushed up, stepping in front of them.

"Father, Pinkie-" She looked to each of them. "Sit back down." "No- I'm done here. You'll have to find her yourself." Pinkie turned away, trotting towards the exit.

"Pinkamena Diane Pie, get back here this instance!" Igneous barked. Pinkie continued.

"Pinkie, get back her right now, or-"

Maud sharply gasped.

"Or I'll be forced to hurt her."

Pinkie stopped near instantly, glancing back to him. Igneous had Maud held up by her mane, and Cloudy was holding a small, sharp knife in her teeth.

=================

Pinkamena glanced to the entrance of the small motel, confirming Marble was inside. A long yawn ripped through her as she slipped back behind the side of the building. She shook her head, trying to shake away the gripping exhaustion that had overtaken the poor pegasus' body.

Come on... you've been through worse nights than this. Pinkamena thumped herself in her head as she tried to wake herself up, wiping her eyes. She sat down against the exterior wall. Flying for hours on end had taken its toll on the tired pegasus.

Maybe just a few... moments of shuteye couldn't hurt. Just need to make sure I don't fall asleep. She shut her eyes, pulling the hood of her cloak down.

=================

"Father?" Maud glanced up to him, then to Cloudy. Pinkie stared at them, her jaw hanging in horror.

"You wouldn't! Not after everything she's done for you!"

"I don't want to, but don't force our hooves." Igneous warned as Cloudy took a step closer to Maud.

"No- wait!" Pinkie through her fore-hoof up. Cloudy stopped and stared at her. "Don't you see what you're doing?!"

"I'm doing what I have to."

"No- you're tearing apart this family because you want to know where Marble is! Our family's shattered into pieces as is, it's holding by a thread! You do this and it'll be over. I'll take Limestone and you'll never see her or Marble again!" Pinkie exclaimed, stomping her fore-hooves. Cloudy looked up to Igneous.

"Are we sure..." She trailed away from the end of the sentence. Igneous nodded.

"Please darling, we don't want to hurt her, don't make us." Cloudy took a step closer to Maud, placing the knife on her neck.

"Wait!" Pinkie stepped forward. "You win..."

"Pinkie--" "Go on, tell us." Igneous interrupted Maud. Pinkie whimpered.

"She... she left. Left Ponyville, went passed the Apples. That's all I know, now please don't hurt her."

"You just let her leave like that?!" Igneous growled angrily, before inhaling. "Fine" He exhaled while he released Maud. She stepped away from him, staring at him with anger.

"Pinkie's right, you two are trying to tear us apart."

"Maud, you know--" "I know she's right. You'll be lucky if you see us again after you two leave." Maud turned. "Come Pinkie, let's go." Maud took Pinkie by her right fore-hoof, leading her outside the house.

"Maud, please!" Cloudy called. The pair ignored her as they trotted outside, towards the barn.

"I'll sleep out here, in the cart if I have to."

"You're staying here?"

"I'm not letting this place go out of business, and I know those two can't do it all by themselves. I've worked too hard to let it all go to waste." Maud said. She turned into the barn, where Limestone had been digging for rocks. "Don't worry, I'll keep a shovel by me. They won't hurt me or Limestone."

Limestone glanced up to them as they entered, noticing Pinkie's mane had deflated.

"What happened?"

"I'll tell you later. Just-- finish that up and I'll go grab us something to eat." Maud released Pinkie as she trotted over to the cart, staring into the empty container as she took a deep breath.

"Pinkie?"

"She..." Pinkie sighed. "I can't explain everything now, I have to get back to Ponyville. Maud will have to explain everything." She turned back towards the barn's entrance, galloping back outside. Limestone stood, going after her.

"Wait- gimme a--" "Limestone, stop. I'll explain."

Pinkie didn't have time to respond, running as quickly as she could away from the farm.

I need to get back to Ponyville and warn Twilight!

=================

A jagged breath escaped Marble's twisted lips as she galloped full steam ahead. She turned, sliding off unstable rocks and mud as she ran inside her family's barn. "Come on!" Panic began to set in as she frantically looked around the barn, finding that any of the usual windows or alternative exits had been grown over with hanging vines and wood. She rushed up to the entrance, slamming the double doors shut and resting against the crack in the middle of the doors. Marble slid down, tears coming to her eyes as ponies began banging against the barn doors. She wiped her eyes as she crossed her hooves over her chest, awaiting her fate.

They're coming to get me... I-I can't fight them all...

"Yet you must, dear Marble Pie."

Marble looked up, nearly blinded by moonlight from overhead. She brought her fore-hooves up as she tried to keep her vision somewhat uninhibited. The light faded out, replaced by a long, slender fore-hoof, extended towards Marble, as blue as the night sky.

"There's no need to be afraid. It's just me."

Marble allowed her hooves to fall. Princess Luna was standing in front of her with a small smile. "Well, come on. Stand."

Another bang against the door caused it to crack open. Marble pushed back against it, forcing it shut. "I can't!"

"Why not? There's nothing to be afraid of out there."

"There is! M-mother, father, Maud-- everypony's out there! They're going t-to hurt me!"

"And you're going to just let them hurt you like that? Their own family?"

"What am I supposed to do?! Help!" Marble dug her hind hooves into the gravel as she forced the door shut, the banging becoming more forceful and more frequent. She pushed up against the door with all her weight.

"You're supposed to defend yourself. My sister told me that you ran away, but you can't be forced out of your home without some resistance."

"They're family!" The door cracked open, barely being held back

"And they're trying to hurt you." Princess Luna trotted to her right side. "That hasn't stopped Pinkie before."

Marble relaxed, and the banging did as well. She stared up to Princess Luna, confused. "Is that why Pinkie hurt them?"

"Perhaps." Princess Luna rubbed her chin, before turning back to Marble. "But for now, let's see if you can follow her example." She took Marble by her fore-hoof, pulling her away from the door. The doors hardly pushed open, Igneous, Maud, and Cloudy standing at the other side. Each trotted in synchronization towards her, as if they were the same pony. Marble backed away quickly, only to be blocked by Princess Luna.

"You're going to have to be able to face them if you want them to stop coming after you."

"But--" Marble pushed back away from her, but Luna stood tall as if she were a wall, refusing to budge. "Please!"

"I know you can do this Marble." Princess Luna said with a warm voice. Marble paused for a moment. trying to find some steadiness in the world currently speeding around her.

"No! I... I can't..."

"You have to. I believe you can." Princess Luna lowered her head to Marble's a with a kind smile. "You can stand without fear in front of them, I know you can."

Marble held her breath, trying to regain control. She inhaled through her nose, before releasing a deep breath. Marble stood steadily, on firm hooves. She slowly rose, standing tall in front of the trio.

"I... I can do this." She exhaled. And, as if they had heard her, they stopped. Marble looked up, staring at them before they vanished.

"See? Well done." Princess Luna lowered her head down to Marble's with a smile. Marble giggled, almost giddy. She finally felt safe, almost happy, for the first time since she had fled her home.

"Thank you."

"You're very welcome, my little pony. The day guard will arrive to pick you up soon. We must speak in person."

Marble nodded. Princess Luna straightened her neck. She began to trot backward, away from Marble. Marble turned towards her.

"Sleep well, my friend. We'll meet again soon." She phased out of the barn, leaving Marble to dream.

=================