• Published 26th Jan 2016
  • 949 Views, 11 Comments

From the Flames in the Firelight - Snowybee



At her wit's end, Princess Cadance searches for the answer to her guilt; her shame for being weak when others needed her the most.

  • ...
5
 11
 949

6 - Order the Pieces

“How do you feel, my niece?”

Cadance’s magic worked the comb through her mane. She smirked at herself through the mirror. If nothing else, she cleaned up nicely.

“I feel limber, auntie. I feel like I can do anything! I’m so glad I opened up to Auntie Luna, and took that trip.”

From the corner of the mirror, Princess Celestia watched her with parted lips. I had been years since Cadance appeared in such a haggard state. She would allow her aunt to gawk. Maybe the look suited her? It must have. Her upbringing came to mind.

“You told her about… about all of that? You finally opened up? Not even Twilight has the real story.” Her eyes shifted away, betraying her unchanged expression. “I suppose Luna has a way with words.”

“She does. More than that, I felt like we understood each other. We both rule to repent, no?”

“Cadance, please. I’ve told you so many times that you have nothing to repent for. I know my words are useless, but my heart aches in a way I cannot put words to.”

“Forget that silly feeling then, auntie. I’ve gotten better.”

Celestia reared back by just a hair, but Cadance could see. Her smile grew.

“T-truly? I suppose the bite was warranted. And I pride myself on reading ponies!” Celestia chuckled, or tried her best to pass one off. “You look like a proud mare now, Cadance.”

“I’m proud because I know I grew from my mistakes. I thought long and hard, auntie. I felt like, for a little while, my old family was right there by my side, telling me how proud they were of me. I’m a grown mare. Of course, any parent would take pride in that.”

Cadance set the brush aside, and stared herself in the eye. She wanted to make sure that it was paying attention.

“Guilt is the pressure one feels when caught between the pain of growing stronger and the pity one has for themselves. To feel entitled to this world is a stupid thing. To feel like you should be happy, that life should be fair, is the luxury we afford to children while we shoulder the world. And for the longest time, I was a child.

“I felt like I deserved to cling to my memories. I don’t. So I let it go.”

In the mirror, her pupil became pinpricks. Her sight rubified.

“And do you know why?”

A single glanced spared for her aunt. The mare held her foreleg to her face, eyes wide. Even that motion caused Cadance’s head to throb.

“Because I thought. And I realized: they’re all dead. There’s nothing else to say about them. When you come to terms with that, you’re only left with the hatred. And for the longest time, I pretended that the hatred wasn’t eating me away from the inside. I finally let it out. Now? Now I can promise you something, Aunt Celestia.”

Her body cooled. She shifted her reptilian eyes to meet Celestia’s.

“I can promise that no one I love will die on my watch ever again.”

Comments ( 3 )

Maybe I'm being dense, but I've no idea what's going on; I can't make heads or tales of anything after chapter 2.

7551977

Clarity is a big issue for me! This story was written with almost no outside input, so it's as raw as it comes. Thank you for giving it a try though!

Well to be honest it was good... and then I got lost. I dunno why but I didn't understand what was happening at all after a certain point. It's kind of weird. But in a good way.

Login or register to comment