• Published 17th Oct 2015
  • 1,031 Views, 10 Comments

Father Golden - jl7895



A group of stories about the life of Golden Shield

  • ...
4
 10
 1,031

Baby

“Golden,” she said as she looked at me, “let’s have another.”

That was about ten months ago. Now my wife and our new born baby are resting peacefully in our home.

My name is Golden Shield. When I was four, Princess Celestia found me in the Everfree Forest and took me in. She cared for me and gave me a place to live until she found my family. Celestia sent ponies to find any trace of my mother, but nothing came up and she officially adopted me. It’s also how I met my best friend, Cadence. She too lived in the castle, as she was born an alicorn and her parents wanted her to become a princess. As we grew up, we found some ponies who became our close friends.

Shining Armor is probably my closest friend besides Cadence. Shining and I are so close that we consider each other brothers and he’s one of the few ponies I would follow to the ends of the earth.

I didn’t meet Spitfire until I was in high school, but we act like we’ve been friends forever. The two of us have most of the same interest and only really differ in our career choices. While she decided to become a performer and leader of the world famous Wonderbolts, I became Captain of the Royal Guard. But I can only imagine how great the shows would be if I had wings instead of my horn.

I really can’t think of a few words to describe what Vinyl Scratch means to me. Unlike Spitfire, we’ve been friends since we first met in the first grade. She’s currently working as a DJ and the godmother to one of my little ponies. Every week, we share a beer and just talk, like adults.

Finally, there is the mare that eventually became my wife, Octavia Melody. It wasn’t a love at first sight story or anything like that. In fact, there wasn’t even any attraction for a few years. We eventually realized we were made for each other, started dating, got married, and had twins, a colt named Ebony Shield and a filly named Mystery Melody.

We talked after Octavia said she wanted another kid. We weren’t sure if we could really support a third kid, but then Vinyl, her coltfriend, and Spitfire said they were willing to help in any way they can. Octavia was opposed to this at first, but then Vinyl said that she might “accidently” buy baby food and diapers and Spitfire might “accidently” feed and or/change the baby.

With our only main concern solved, Octavia and I started trying. There weren’t many nights where we could try, as we were still working parents and Octavia had a concert coming up. The night of the concert, however, was something special. Critics said it was her best show ever and you could just feel her passion for her art. After the show, she told me that she was thinking of every good experience we’ve had since the day we met and how much she loves our family. We were really lucky Ebony and Mystery were at a sleepover that night. Octavia didn’t need a test to tell she was pregnant.

According to Octavia, this pregnancy was much easier than the last one. It might have been because she was only carrying one foal or maybe because it wasn’t her first. She was able to control her mood swings, her cramps weren’t that bad, and she said she wasn’t as fatigued as the last one. However, her love for chocolate covered macaroni with potato chips returned which I still don’t understand. After nine months, Octavia gave birth to our new little unicorn filly. Her coat and mane are like her mother’s only brighter and my silver eyes.

There was just one little problem. Normally, when a baby is born, the parents are able to look at their child and their name just comes to them. Even with Ebony and Mystery, who technically got their names from my coma dream, Octavia still knew what their names should be. But Octavia and I looked at each and we came up with nothing. This isn’t anything new or something to be worried about. Some ponies are actually a little envious of these ponies because it means their destiny is their own.

We were lying in Octavia’s hospital bed while our new born daughter slept next to us.

“She’s so beautiful,” Octavia said as we watched her sleep.

“But what do we name her?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” She responded. “It’s not every day a pony like her is born. What do you a name pony whose destiny is up to her?”

“I don’t know, but can you imagine it? She is one of the few ponies not bound to a set path or anything like that. No pony expects her to take after us or any member of our family. To her, life is a blank book.”

“What would you do with it? I can’t even imagine a world where I don’t have my cello or any instrument for that matter.”

“I don’t know. I mean I love my job, but what if I could have done anything with my life. What if I just wanted to be a baker or an author?”

“What if we just take our names start from there? As much as I love the sound of Golden Melody, it might get a little confusing around the house.”

“I like the sound of Melody though. How about Silver Melody?” Just like her siblings, our little filly made a little joyful noise when she heard her name.

“She likes it,” Octavia said with a smile. “Okay, Silver Melody.”

I eventually had to leave to pick up the twins from school. Octavia spent a few more days in the hospital just to make sure everything was okay. I would bring the kids over to visit their mother and baby sister. Mystery wouldn’t stop talking about how much fun she was going to have with her baby sister and Ebony was telling us how much he’s going to help.

Even Cadence came down with her daughter to see our baby. Cadence and Shining Armor had their daughter, Princess Skyla, almost two years after Octavia and I had the twins. She is a darker shade of pink than her mother and had a cream and pale purple mane. There was something special about her, however. Skyla was born an alicorn. This is a surprise to everyone because the alicorn gene is recessive, meaning Shining has the gene too. Cadence and Shining said they didn’t really care, so long as their baby was happy and healthy.

“Knock knock,” Cadence said as she and her daughter entered the room with their suitcases.

“Uncle Golden, Auntie Octavia!” Skyla shouted as she ran into the room. Skyla ran to hug me and I picked her up to put her on the hospital bed.

“It’s alright Cadence,” Octavia said. “Our little girl is a heavy sleeper.”

“What’s her name?” Cadence asked as she picked up Silver.

“Silver Melody,” I said.

“Hi Silver. I’m you’re Auntie Cadence. You don’t know it yet, but you’ve been born into one of the greatest families in Equestria.”

“Can I hold the baby?” Skyla asked. Cadence handed her daughter Silver and we made sure she held her right.

“Silver Melody?” Cadence said. “Does that mean she’s going to play the flute or something?”

“Actually,” Octavia said, “a name didn’t come to us when we saw her.”

“Wow, an open destiny. How do you guys feel about that? What if she wants to be a fast food chef for the rest of her life?”

“As long as she’s happy, we’ll be happy.” I said.

Cadence, Skyla, and I stayed in hospital for a little while catching up. Tomorrow was Octavia’s discharge day, so The Doctor asked us to leave so Octavia and Silver can get their rest. Cadence, Skyla, and I walked to the house Octavia’s parents gave us when we got married. While Celesita said she could stay whenever Cadence need, but she wanted Skyla to be around Mystery and Ebony and she likes to have an excuse not to stay in the castle.

“Daddy!” my children said as I opened the door. I kneeled down to hug both of them and kiss them on their cheeks.

“How are my little ponies?” I asked.

“We’re playing with Auntie Vinyl,” Ebony said.

“When’s mommy and our baby sister coming home?” Mystery asked.

“Mommy and Silver won’t be home until tomorrow, but look who came to see you.”

The twins looked past me and saw Cadence smiling wide. I didn’t keep them waiting and handed my children over to my best friend. They were trying to tell her stories at the same time, a common occurrence for the two of them. It reminded me of when Cadence and I were younger and we would tell Celestia everything about our day when we got home from school.

“Calm down,” Cadence said with a smile and putting the twins down. “You haven’t even said hi to Skyla yet,”

“Sorry,” Mystery said as she hugged Skyla. “We were just really happy to see you guys.”

“Come play with us,” Ebony said.

“Auntie Vinyl,” Mystery shouted to the other room, “can Skyla play with us?”

“I don’t know, does she want to play with a tickle monster?” Vinyl rushed into the room, picked up Skyla and tickled her. She took the kids into their room and I took Cadence’s bags to the guest room. When I came back, Cadence, Spitfire, and Vinyl’s coltfriend were sitting in the living room talking.

Vinyl and her coltfriend, Bright Night, have been dating since mine and Octavia’s wedding. He’s a teacher and an extremely skilled cook. They got together after fighting over a frozen pizza in a grocery store. They had dinner sometime later and they’ve been together since. He would occasionally move into our house when he was evicted from his apartment for one reason or another. He would always stay for a few months, find a new apartment, and then be back six to eight months later. This time, however, Bright has been here for six months. We didn’t mind because he was feeding us, but it seems as if he’s given up at finding another apartment.

I joined my friends in the living room and we started talking. Cadence told me about all the amazing things that have been happening in the Crystal Empire. I, in return, told her how my children got their cutie marks. Mystery got her first with the help of her grandparents. When they saw how much she enjoyed Octavia’s music, Soprano Symphony and Harmonic Strings insisted to help. When they approached Octavia, all she did was laugh because this was the same thing that happened to her. She told her parents that she already knew Mystery’s talent. Octavia bought her a violin later that day and gave it to Mystery for her birthday. Mystery drew her bow like her mother and started playing like a professional. Her cutie mark, several notes coming from a violin, appeared shortly after the song ended.

Ebony’s story was a little different. He wasn’t as popular as his sister, even with Mystery trying to include him in everything she did. Ebony didn’t have many friends, but he was close to the few he did. One of his friends was being bullied and he did the one thing I could have asked him to do: stand up for his friend. The bully pushed him around a bit, but Ebony stood his ground and drove him away. His cutie mark is similar to mine, except matching his coat and mane and without the swords.

It was a school night, so I had to put the kids to bed, after their bath and story of course. When I came back to the living room, Spitfire was leaving because of a problem that popped up at the Wonderbolt Academy, Vinyl had left to DJ at a club, and Cadence had went to bed with Skyla. This left Bright and I alone in living room.

“So, when are you going to do it?” I asked Bright as I took a seat.

“Do what?” He asked.

“Propose to Vinyl.” I said with a smirk.

“What makes you think I was going to propose to Vinyl? I mean, yeah I love Vinyl, but do you really think she’s marriage material?”

“She’s really good with the kids and you two already spend enough time together. Why not just make it official?”

“Okay, seriously what makes you think I want to propose to her?”

“Because I’ve been in your position before. I remember all the little signs of having something this big on your mind and how it effects your interactions with people. Plus I saw the ring box a few days ago.”

“You saw it? Do you think Vinyl saw it?”

“Probably not. She would have said something when we were drinking our beer. What’s stopping you?”

“I want to ask her parents’ permission.”

“That might not be the best idea,” I said thinking back to when I asked Octavia’s parents for their permission.

“Wait, didn’t you have to beg Octavia’s parents for their permission? Is there something wrong with asking them?”

“Well not for most ponies, but Vinyl doesn’t have the best relationship with her parents. I knew how close Octavia was with her parents, so I knew it would mean much more if I asked them first. For Vinyl, there are two other ponies you have to ask.”

“Who are they?”

I smiled and stood up, saying goodnight to Bright. I went to my room where I wrote a note and whistled for my pet phoenix, Philomena. I gave her a treat and told her who to deliver the note to. I went to bed shortly after, simultaneously missing my wife and silently celebrating her return tomorrow.

The next day wasn’t anything unusual. I woke the kids up and got them ready for school. When I dropped them off, I promised them Octavia and Silver would be home when they got home today. My next stop was the hospital to help Octavia home. The discharge process was simple enough and before I knew it, we were headed home with our new baby.

On our way home, Octavia and I were stopped by ponies wanting to see our baby. Fleur de Lis and Fancy Pants were the first two to stop us. They’ve been our friends since middle school and we’re always happy to see them. We were later stopped by my brother and his fiancé.

I didn’t meet Nightingale until after I became a royal guard. He was a member of the Children of the Night, a group of people who helped Nightmare Moon return to Equestria, and Nightmare Moon’s adoptive son. He knocked me out in our first encounter and we had a fight during our second. We realized we had some connection and became friends after the fight. We didn’t learn we were brothers until a few days before my wedding.

Star Darling and I have an interesting history. We met sometime after my 16th birthday for a special event. It was tradition for members of the royal family to pick another pony to marry when they turn 18. To help make a decision, the parents invite ten suitors to spend a week with their child. Out of fear of breaking tradition and disappointing my grandparents, Celestia made Cadence and I go through this, but later called it off.

Star was one of the ponies she invited. She fell in love with me after a vacation her family took and did everything she could to be one of the ponies invited to the castle. She went back to Applewood after the week and met another colt. He would later propose and cheat on her and Star would come to Canterlot in hopes of starting new. She met my brother, the two hit it off and asked her to marry her a few months ago.

While there were other ponies that stopped us, Silver was starting to get a little restless. We started rushing home and found Skyla playing outside.

“Hi Uncle Golden. Hi Auntie Octavia. Can I hold Sliver again?” Skyla asked as we approached.

“I’m sorry, but I need to feed her,” Octavia said. “You can hold her when she goes to sleep, okay?”

“Okay. And mommy wanted me to tell you there’s a Code Blue in the house. What does that mean?”

I looked at Octavia and saw the anger build up in her. Code Blue meant Prince Blueblood was in a room. Blueblood is Cadence’s twin brother and one of the worst ponies to ever open his mouth. He is an arrogant, self-obsessed snob that always has a hidden agenda. Even worse, he attacked Octavia and tried to have his way with her. It’s a dark day for her and has been trying to forget the whole thing ever since.

“Octavia,” I said, “you can’t get too angry. It’s not good for you or for Silver.”

Octavia didn’t listen. She instead stormed into the house. I followed close by, finding Cadence and the blue baboon sitting in the living room drinking tea.

“Get out of my house,” Octavia said.

“It’s good to see you too,” the idiot said.

“Let me take Silver,” Cadence said as she got up. Octavia easily gave her baby to Cadence, knowing that it would probably be for the best.

“I want you out of my house right now.”

“Can’t we at least talk like adults?”

“I have nothing to say to you. I don’t want you anywhere near me, my children, my home, or anywhere in my life. I want you to leave right this second.”

“All I’m asking for is a little communication. Is that really so much to ask?”

“I’ll deal with this,” I said to Octavia. “Go feed Silver and I promise he’ll be gone soon enough.”

Octavia smiled and kissed me. She and Cadence left the room with Silver and I took Blueblood to the study.

“You have a lot of nerve showing up here,” I said as I closed the doors. I turned around to see Blueblood sitting at my desk. I remained standing, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of sitting across from him.

“This is a lovely house, Porter. How did you ever hope to afford it?”

“I make enough and it was a wedding from Octavia’s parents. What are you doing here?”

“Don’t you have a question for me?”

“Why haven’t I given you two black eyes yet?”

“No, although you should know I can throw you in the dungeon for just saying that. Aren’t you going to ask me to be your daughter’s godfather?”

“Why would I do that? I would rather have Silver hate me than have you as her godfather. I would rather leave her in the middle of the Everfree Forest than have you as her godfather. I would-”

“Okay, you made your point,” Blueblood interrupted. “I understand that you and your wife don’t like me, but what other options do you have? I’ve heard of your struggle to find a pony that would accept your offer. Well here’s one sitting in front of you.”

Blueblood wasn’t wrong. He have had a difficult time finding a godfather for Silver, but not from lack of trying. Finding a godmother was easy enough as Spitfire was the only one of our friends that isn’t a godparent and she gladly agreed. We first asked Soarin, but he thought that he would have to marry Spitfire and take on the responsibility of an adult. We then asked Fancy Pants, but he felt like he would accidently spoil Silver and make her siblings jealous. We unfortunately Octavia went into labor a few hours after asking Fancy Pants, so we couldn’t find anyone else before Silver came.

“So, am I the new godfather?”

“Get out of this house,” I said.

“Answer my question.”

“As long as I have breath in my lungs, you will never be a part of Silver’s life. Get out of this house right now. You are not welcome here and you never will be.”

“Make me leave.”

I went over to Blueblood, grabbed his arm, and forced him to his feet. He tried to resist, but I guess he forgot how strong Royal Guard are. As we left the study, we found Vinyl’s brother, Long Play, holding Silver with Octavia and Cadence nearby. In the heat of dealing with the Code Blue, I forgot that I asked him to come by.

We met Long Play when he contacted Vinyl asking to meet her for the first time. Vinyl’s parents got pregnant at 18, but decided they couldn’t support a child at the time. They put him up for adoption and just left him. Long says he doesn’t want to meet his birth parents because they didn’t do anything for him. He decided to move to Canterlot after meeting Vinyl and wanting to be closer to her. Since then, he’s been a part of our little family, helping us whenever he can. He was a major part in helping Octavia through both pregnancies and loves to play with the kids as much as Vinyl does.

“Look who decided to see Silver, Golden,” Octavia said. “Isn’t there something you wanted to ask him?”

“Long,” I said as I showed Blueblood the door, by which I mean I forced him out the door and closed it as fast as I could, “you have been such a big part in making sure our children were born. We would be honored if you would be Silver’s godfather.”

“Only if it means I get to help decide who she marries.”

Octavia and I went to pick up our kids from school later that day. They were so excited to see Silver that they kept running ahead of us. Octavia had to keep reminding them that Silver might be asleep when we got home so they would have to be quiet. Sure enough, she was and Mystery and Ebony did a great job making sure not to wake her.

Bright made dinner all of us that night, like he always does. He figured out what I meant when I told him he had to ask two different ponies and he pulled Octavia and Long aside to ask them. I think they both gave him permission, but tonight wasn’t the night to ask.

As we sat down at the dinner table, I looked around at my family. I smiled at just the thought of everything that was going to happen. I thought about Ebony, Mystery, and Skyla growing up, about the family Bright and Vinyl were going to start, about how Spitfire’s name will go down in history, and about all the good times I’m going to have with my wife and children.

Author's Note:

If you're here from Mother Celestia, than thank you for continuing to read. I'm glad to see the story has dedicated fans. This one will have a different feel from the first one because the stories will be more slice of life. I had so many ideas for this, but I couldn't figure out who to turn them into one story line.

If you're new to the Mother Celestia story line, welcome. I'm always glad to see my stories get new fans and I really appreciate people taking the time out of their day to read my story. I hope that you enjoy reading these stories and feel free to tell me if you don't.

I really hate to do this, but I have to kinda put in a plug here. I started a patreon account to make a little extra money. I'm moving out of my parent's house and I need the money to help pay for gas for my car and some food. I don't feel comfortable begging and I want to work for you guys. I also don't want people to feel as if they have to give, so please make sure you are in a steady place before you even think about giving me anything.

I hope you enjoyed reading this because it was a joy to write it. Mother Celestia took two years to complete, so here's to another two years.