• Published 29th May 2012
  • 5,537 Views, 235 Comments

An Earth Pony's Guide to Magic - Sereg



Star Swirl wishes to live up to her namesake's reputation but how can she do so as an earth pony?

  • ...
11
 235
 5,537

Study Seven: Star Swirl

A/N: So, we come to the final chapter. I hope that you all enjoyed it and are satisfied with the conclusion. I also hope that I’ve increased Star Swirl’s popularity a bit and that I’ll be seeing more of her in future fanworks. I know that this chapter is technically much shorter than Equestria Daily guidelines allow, but it’s the final chapter. What am I supposed to do? Also, if you enjoyed this fic, look forward to my future fics.


Study Seven: Star Swirl

“Come in,” the doctor said as she opened the door.

Star Swirl bounced in with a huge grin and her eyes shone with glee. “Hi, Doctor Drop!”

Dr. Drop blinked. “Did...you just refer to me without using my full name?”

“Yes I did. That’s okay, right? I thought that you might prefer it. But if you don’t, I’ll go back to calling you Doctor Tear Drop. But I’ve realised that I already made it clear that I know that you are different from any other hypothetical Doctor Drop.”

“No, that’s actually good news, Star Swirl,” said Doctor Drop with cautious optimism, “I also, see that you seem happier than usual. I’d go so far to say that you’re...sparkling.”

“Sparkling?” asked Star Swirl with a raised eyebrow before returning to her grin. “I like that! I think that from now on, I’ll always sparkle! Just like Twilight Sparkle! She’s so awesome! Which makes sense for the bearer of the Element of Magic.”

“So, I take it that you had a good week?”

“You have no idea!”

“Would you...like to share it with me?”

“I don’t think that I should tell you everything, but I finally discovered the meaning of my cutie mark!” She rolled her eyes. “So obvious now, but I was just too stubborn to acknowledge what, deep down, I instinctively knew.”

“I’m glad that you’ve made such a breakthrough Star Swirl,” Doctor Drop smiled. “It does tend to be such internal conflicts which cause problems like that. Now you can begin to move past that.”

“Oh, I am!” replied Star Swirl. She plopped herself onto the couch. “But after I discovered the meaning of my cutie mark, I was so annoyed! Why couldn’t I have figured that out for myself!?”

“Don’t you think that you would have managed to figure it out eventually?”

“Well, I do. I was getting pretty close, but with hindsight it seems so obvious! I should have known the instant that I earned my cutie mark in the first place! In fact, deep down I did know! I just...”

“Didn’t want to acknowledge it?”

“Yes!”

“That is typical of these cases, Star Swirl. You don’t have to feel angry with yourself over that.”

“But why would I refuse to acknowledge something that would make me happy?”

“Maybe because it would mean acknowledging that it wasn’t what you’d hoped it was?”

“That’s the conclusion that I came to. That and the fact that I was so excited by the idea of being like my ancestor, I didn’t think to question it until recently. I was so enamoured by the idea of being a great mage like Star Swirl the Bearded, that I didn’t think that maybe that wasn’t what my talent was meant for. But why did it take me so long to realise that?”

“You were blinded by your admiration for your ancestor and your desire to be like him. That’s something that you’ve only recently been able to move past. While there was nothing wrong with admiring your ancestor, it is only recently that you’ve begun to accept that maybe you weren’t meant to be exactly like him.”

“Yes, I realised that as well. But unfortunately, only then. It’s a good thing that you sent me to Ponyville, because my new friends who I made over there have allowed me to make a lot of progress. If it wasn’t for them, it probably would have taken me even longer with how stubborn I was being. That’s why, after I realised all of that, I rushed over to Golden Oaks Library to tell Twilight all about it. I was so excited! And after I told her...”

“So, it sounds like you’ve learned an important lesson,” said Twilight.

“Absolutely!”

“Well, did you hear about how ever since I moved to Ponyville, I’ve been studying the magic of friendship?”

“Yes, I heard about that, Twilight.” Star Swirl nodded.

Twilight blinked at the informal address. “Wow...you really have changed!”

“I still think that your title should be acknowledged,” Star Swirl explained, “but I’ve already done so myself and you claimed to prefer this. I’m not going to confuse you with another Twilight.”

“Thank you. You’re right about me preferring it. But anyway, I thought that I may be able to use your experiences as part of my studies.”

“Really!? You want to use my experience as a data point!?” Star Swirl grinned and leaned forward.

“Yes. And did you know that as part of my studies, I write to Princess Celestia about what I’ve learned?”

“No,” Star Swirl gasped as she shook her head. “I mean, I suppose that it makes sense that you are in communication with your supervisor, but wow! To exchange letters with Princess Celestia is pretty amazing! Why, where are you going with this?!”

“Well, not only do I do so, but Princess Celestia also asked some of my friends, specifically Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Rainbow, Rarity and Spike to write to her as well. And Applebloom and Sweetie Belle have also written such letters to her before. So, I was wondering if you’d like to be the one who writes to Princess Celestia about this.”

“Would I!?”

“So you wrote to Princess Celestia about your experiences?” asked Doctor Drop.

“Absolutely! I’m happy to tell others about my story! Which is why I made copies of the letter.” She pulled a scroll out of her bag. “Go ahead and read it! I want others to learn from it! Which is great as Twilight’s publishing it as part of her studies.”

Doctor Drop levitated the letter over and read:

Dear Princess Celestia,

Twilight is letting me write to you because I have learned an important lesson. I once asked you to turn me into a unicorn, because at the time, I believed that that was the only way to fulfil my destiny as promised to me by my cutie mark. However, you told me that I was perfectly capable of doing so as an earth pony. I now see that you were right.

When I earned my cutie mark, I was excited not just because I had earned it, but because it was the same cutie mark as my ancestor and role model’s. Rather than stop and think about what I’d done to earn it, which would have allowed me to easily realise its meaning, I simply celebrated that I had something else in common with him. That in itself wasn’t a bad thing, but I chose to continue ignoring the evidence for what my true talent was and simply decided to try and make myself more like him. While there was nothing wrong with me having a role model and admiring him, I forgot that there is nothing wrong with the fact that I’m different from him, and that even though we had the same talent, that didn’t mean that we had to use it in the same way or that there is only one right way to use it. For example, Rarity Belle, Bearer of the Element of Generosity has a talent for finding and creating beauty, and she has decided to use that talent to make outfits. She could have used it in a different way, but that is the way that works for her and the way she uses her talent is at least as much a part of who she is as the talent itself.

Since moving to Ponyville, a village that I’ve come to love and intend to make my permanent home, I have made new, wonderful friends who have taught me so much, and one of the things that they’ve helped me to discover is my true talent. The one that I would have easily discovered myself from simple introspection were it not for my stubbornness and determination to be something that I’m not. I saw Star Swirl the Bearded as a mighty, powerful, mage, and I became enthralled by that image, wanting to fit it, while completely ignoring the fact that the image was not of who I was meant to be, and that being something else was okay and would actually make me happy. I’m so grateful to my new friends for breaking through my stubbornness and helping me realise that.

Star Swirl the Bearded used his talent for understanding and explaining magic to invent new spells and mentor younger unicorns, but just because I have the same talent, doesn’t mean that I should follow the same path. No. I shall apply my talent by continuing to learn about all types of magic, and I’ll compile my discoveries by writing them into a guide, so that everypony can learn all about magic. And making those discoveries and ensuring that they will be preserved and learned about by future generations will not only make me happy, but I believe that Star Swirl the Bearded would have been proud of me using my talents in such a way as well.

Your Loyal Subject,

Star Swirl the Hundred and Forty Seventh

PS. One day, when I finally have a foal of my own, I’m going to name them...anything but Star Swirl. Seriously, I’m not putting somepony else through the stress of feeling like they have to live up to that.

The Beginning

A/N: I debated about having Twilight write the letter, but eventually decided that Star herself was most appropriate. I also hope that the letter was done properly as even the show sometimes handles the moral a bit messily, and I REALLY don’t want to have messed that up. I was also wondering if I should have Star Swirl earn a title in the fic, but really, she’s just starting. She has time. I got the idea for the PS from Wolfwood2 from RPG.net. I also recently heard that Lauren Faust intended for Scootaloo to be a handicapped pegasus who was never meant to fly and would eventually have an episode where she learned that even though she admired Rainbow Dash, she wasn’t meant to become a stunt flyer like her and had to instead accept her true talent involving her scooter. As someone who had a disabled mother, I approve of the idea and I also feel a bit of vindication as this fic has a very similar message. Finally, my next ponyfic is on the way. I was going to call it Many-Trick-Pony until I was informed that it could be read as a euphemism for a prostitute. So right now, it’s untitled. Stay tuned though.

EDIT: Many-Trick-Pony is up and this fic is now the first in a series. The second is up and is called More than Forty Blinks.

Comments ( 89 )

Hurrah! Very sweet and fun story. Being disabled myself I definitely appreciate the sentiment coming through in your commentary too.:raritywink:

I'm not really sure how one could get prostitute from the phrase "Many Trick Pony" The best I can think is that sometimes a client is called a trick so one can ask "How's tricks?" Meaning, "how much work have you gotten tonight?" But to be frank I think that's a bit of a stretch. I like the title and I say go with it!:rainbowdetermined2:

Great story my favorite chapter was the rock farming one....it just makes sense now

can't wait for your prostitution story:rainbowlaugh:

Great ending.

Here's hoping that the prostitution story isn't a sequel to this story! :rainbowderp::rainbowhuh::rainbowlaugh:

A good close to a good story. Looking forward to your next one.

Oh wow, you finished! Well done!

Great ending, there. :yay: I'm glad she got it. And the ending reminds me of an old song... ;)

This story was wonderful, and outside of a few errors here and there, very well-crafted. Good job. :raritywink:

*immediatley writes a clopfic named "Many-Trick Pony"* [/jk]

And good fic!

Gem

The Beginning

I see what you did there.

Still, I would like a sequel of this, maybe one with an overarching goal in mind that involves saving Equestria and has an explosive ending of Star Swirl beating the bad guy. Or something...

Oh boy, it's done! I must say, this was a very enjoyable story. The dialogue was sometimes stiff, but it was overall fairly well written. I'm glad you mentioned Rarity's mark being finding and creating beauty, because a lot of people miss the point and just see her gem-finding spell as her talent, which always bugs me.

Many-Trick-Pony? I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess it has a similar focus on cutie marks. Possibly Cutie Pox?

Hooker ponies! make it happen.

The author's note and the letter both being italicized was briefly confusing. I'm not sure what to suggest. Can't just bold it, since "the beginning" had that. Was just a thought.

Loved the story.

It's end?

[youtube=WWaLxFIVX1s]

Magnificent!

So, the beginning? Does this mean sequel?

1122917 1123686 1123735 1123738 Thank you. I hoped that it would turn out well.

1122994 Maybe I should just go for it. Thank you. And I'm glad that you took my author's note in a positive way.

1123080 What does this response mean?

1123107 Well, I don't intend to include prostituton, despitehow scarily easy it would be to do.:rainbowlaugh:

1123276 The timeline isn't obvious, but it actually makes more sense as a prequel if you want to see them sharing a universe. Star Swirl doesn't show up though. It stars a full OC with Twilight, Zecora, Dr. Stable, the flower trio and the Apple family featuring.

1123781 As a massive fan of My Little Alicorn (and Bringing up Blueblood). I really appreaciate this. I fangasmed when you faved.

1123786:rainbowlaugh: Thank you.

1123850:trixieshiftright: Indeed.

1124796 That would be totally awesome. But I'm leaving that for other authors. I'd love to read a story like that.

1125094 Ding ding ding! Yes, it's a fic about cutie pox. And I'm glad that I'm not alone in my views on Rarty's talent.

1125322:rainbowlaugh:

1125359 I'll add an "A/N" to try clear it up.

1127589 Glad that you enjoyed it.

1127677 It means that sequals are appropriate, but I have no plans to write them. I want other authors to write them.:trollestia:

1129484 EARTH PONY MAGIC?! but it's supposed to end with someone saying "Your end..." and then screaming a name and jumping through the air.

1129498 I'm afraid that I really have no idea what you are refering to.

1129536 I think that about 7-12 million other people in the world would, so I don't blame you.

1129694 YOU'VE LOST THE GAME. No, it's Wrath of the Lich King.

A wonderful ending to a wonderful story! I absolutely love how your wrote all the characters, the moral was great without being cliche, and ending it with a letter to Princess Celestia was the perfect way to send it off. I really felt satisfied finally seeing Star Swirl truly discover herself, although I'm still not entirely sure what her talent is - That may have just been me, though.

I can't wait to read more of Star Swirl! :twilightsmile:

1129719 "Understanding and explaining magic". She basically "gets" how magic works and is able to describe it in ways that others will as well. Roughly.

Thanks for the compliment. I also want to see more Star Swirl stries, but my next fic won't feature her, as useful as she'd be in-Universe.

1130112 Well, here's hoping for more at some point! And I'll be sure to give your next fic a look.

I'm happy I decided to read this now it's completed. EXCELLENT story, I loved all the worldbuilding you did. "Explaining" Pinkie was cool, even if a little dangerous.

Excellent , just excellent.

Oh, and go ahead with "many-trick pony" you have to have dirty mind to take it the wrong way, and believeme I have one, but that name looks fine to me.

1129396 Even before I read "uncertainty principle", I read that you couldn't observe the position of the phenomena and... the same time... wait a minute, that sounds like... Wizened Birch, WizenedBirch, Weizendbirch...

1129484 ...I see. Well, it was a good story nonetheless. Well done!

The end? BULL SHIT!! and here am thinking she will become some kinda of powerful earth bending pony that saves equestria all the way into chapter 59
i49.tinypic.com/v4qs8j.png

1130573 Thank you.

1134673 Unfortunately, that wasn't really what I was going for here. But if the story wasn't already claimed, I'd do something like that for Snowcatcher, the Irreverent.

Wow. I really liked this story, and you did an epic job! :pinkiehappy: Exspecially with the good combination of humor with normal-ness, it is really really cool! I'll read other stuff of yours, too! :ajsmug:

Where did you hear about the thing with Scootaloo? it sounds like a really good idea to me, 'cause it would be nice to see little kid TV shows spreading awareness about others with disabilities.



Thanx for the heart warming story! :scootangel:

I think the story ended really well. And anyone who says otherwise can have cupcakes. :pinkiecrazy:

And a perfect ending to the series! The letter to Celestia was just the right touch. I look forward to your next project! :twilightsmile:

1138579 Thank you very much. The thing about Scootaloo was reported in a video by a guy who spent some time with Lauren, apparently as part of security.

1141010 1142106 Thank you as well.

It took me a while to get around to reading this, but I am glad I did.
I cant find any other words to describe this. Literally, I cannot. Take of that what you will.

You made so boring! She lost all the quirks, no longer cares about being a unicorn and acheiving her goal. If I didnt know any better, I'ld say something conversion bureau-ish happened, I knew the rest of the story was gonna be bad when the doctor played an important part, but wow what a let down ending. it's so bad it ruins everything else about the story! :raritydespair:

1147162 Thank you.

1149178 She hasn't lost her quirks. They just don't interfere with her life as much anymore. And she still cares about acheiving her goal. It's just a different goal now.

1153094 meh she isnt the same pony i enjoyed reading about, she calls ponies by their first name. she is okay with being an earth pony. she is destined to be a boring and forgettable character. Even if she were to do something epic, with a now dulled personality she would just be a mary sue.

1154150 Um, you do realise that the show is about ponies overcoming their difficulties, right? This is why, for example, Applejack is now okay with asking for help.

1159926 yeah but twilight doesn't suddenly turn from an introvert into the life of the party even after making friends. and while applejack is okay with asking others for help, she still prefers to do it herself.

1160477 Er, yes. You're apparently overestimating how much Star Swirl has changed. She still prefers to call others by their full names and titles, but now she also bears in mind their own feelings. She still wants to live up to Star Swirl the Bearded, but she's found out that she can do so without being a unicorn or a powerful magic user (and she's good with magical detection anyway). She still loves magic. etc.

Well, I'm glad that I finally got around to reading this, it was good.
So, um, where do we go for the sequel?
X, why do I suddenly have the urge to slap you? *cough*tactlessbeyondbelief*cough
I have no idea what you mean.

1220405Thank you. As for the sequel, I'm not sure, but I look forward to it as well.

Maybe I should make a blog post about why I'd prefer someone else to write the sequel.

1220405>>1147162>>1142106>>1141010>>1138579>>1130573>>1130125>>1127677>>1127589>>1125359>>1125322>>1125094>>1123921>>1123850>>1123786>>1123781>>1123738>>1123735>>1123686>>1123276>>1123107 As you all seemed to enjoy this fic and many of you have expressed desire for a sequel, I decided to let you know that I have started working on one (though I must warn you that while Star Swirl is an important character, she isn't the protagonist).

1134673 Well, not EXACTLY what you requested, butthe sequel IS an adventure fic and Star Swirl will be important to the saving of Equestria in it even though she's no longer the protagonist.

1160477 While she is reduced to secondary character in the sequel, you'll see that she hasn't changed that much.

1124796 Your wish is my command.:trixieshiftright:

1122994>>1122917>>1107051>>1049136>>1045290>>1042783>>1021034>>1006502>>1006138>>999072>>996162>>995165>>994847>>994598>>993608>>993509>>993437>>993168>>993138>>874517>>874287>>873580>>873542>>873208>>872966>>872861>>872276>>786554>>785692>>768669>>774856>>767670>>764113>>763862>>763070>>762840>>762623>>742216>>683739>>666452>>665635>>665431>>664909>>664497>>664485 Just letting the rest of you know about the upcoming sequel.:yay:

1386874 Yay! I'll be looking forward to see what you can come up with!

1386874: Those kinds of sequels are the BEST! :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

1417006>>1390436>>1388556>>1220405>>1160477>>1147162>>1141010>>1138579>>1134673>>1134111>>1130573>>1130125>>1125322>>1124796>>1123921>>1123850>>1123786>>1123781>>1123735>>1123276>>1123107 Just letting you guys know that the sequel, More than Forty Blinks is up.

Login or register to comment