• Published 17th Nov 2011
  • 1,469 Views, 21 Comments

Midnight Hooves in Ponyville - Paradise Oasis



A Student from the Royal academy arrives in ponyville years before Twilight Sparkle, and tries to do academic work without a bunch of crazy

  • ...
3
 21
 1,469

chapter 2

1st year, 90th day

Winter wrap-up came to Ponyville this day. I did my part by helping out the plant team. I could only move the heavy plow with some great difficulty, so I quietly used a quicken spell to keep up with the others. Golden Harvest, who was the team leader, continually praised my incredible ability to keep up with the earth ponies. Only one Filly seemed to notice my use of magic- a young orange earth pony from Sweet Apple Acres, and Big Macintosh's little sister. She kept pointing out what I was doing to the other ponies, but Carrot Top kept shushing her. Afterward, Big Mac took me aside, and politely asked that I not help the plant team again. I will heed his words.

Ditzy, who is on the animal team, has been having her own problems. Due to her poor eyesight, she went East to get the Southern birds... and got treated to a round of everyone calling her a feather brain upon her return. She tried her best to go along with the joke, but I could tell she was hurting inside. The mares of the Town have even given her a mean nickname... Derpy. Seeing how hurt she was , I went over and told her not to pay attention to what others think... and immediately found myself being nuzzled by the grey Pegasus. She went off, happily flying away as if nothing had ever happened.

My research into the past has brought more of the secrets of these ancient pre-ponies to light. After meticulous study of their writing, I have finally cracked the language on the stone tablets. These creatures called themselves the Penna, and from I'm reading, they may have been a shape-shifting race of bird folk. It's heard to make out, I'm still working on translating the texts... but the work I am doing here today may change the way we ponies look at our history... and look at ourselves. Fortunately, the coming of spring has made my job easier, as the soil is starting to soften after having been frozen all winter. And now I won't have to work in the cold.

1st year, 190th day

Summer has entered into it's hottest period, and all of Ponyville is suffering from their Scorching heat. Breezy gave me three fans to keep the library cool, but they aren't helping much. My three stalkers have finally given up pursuit, having turned their attention onto Ponyville's newest arrival- a stallion with an Hourglass for his brand mark. (In academic circles, that is how we refer to a Stallions 'cutie' mark... grrr, how I loathe that name for a male's mark!) Ditzy still spends most of her time with me, however, and I am grateful for her company.

My studies of the Penna civilization go well, as I have begun to translate most of their history. Apparently, they defeated some sort of evil here in Equestria long ago. At first I thought it might have been Discord, but it seems to be something far older and more sinister that that. The texts refer again and again to something called the 'flashstone', but I cannot for the life of me fathom what that might be. More study into this matter is needed.

Ditzy has been keeping me company in my free time, and we often go swimming together to keep out of the heat. She is far more intelligent than the citizens of Ponyville give her credit for, and can easily keep up with my conversations on the most complex of Topics. It's tragic, but I think the only reason she may act like a fool is because people have been telling her for so long that she is one. They never got to know the real Ditzy Doo, so she conformed to their stereotype of 'Derpy'. It is sad they see so many flaws in her, for I am beginning to believe she is the very essence of perfection.

1st year, 329th day

Ditzy invited me to go to Nightmare Night with her, on what some would call a 'date'. Despite my initial misgivings, I agreed to do so. This was the night of the festival that celebrated Nightmare Moon's defeat, and all sorts of scary tricks and treats are about. I declined to wear any sort of costume to the event, and despite Ditzy's evident disappointment, she agreed to not go in costume, as well. We bobbed for apples, and I even danced with her that night. I am even shocking myself to say this... but it was quite enjoyable.

Been digging up and translating more of the Ancient stone tablets. I now have a clearer picture of this ancient enemy the Penna defeated so long ago... it was an eldritch abomination, a tentacled terror from beneath the Waves the Penna simply refer to as 'Squirk'- the word that means horror in their language. According to the tablets, all of Equestria was once underwater, and ruled by the creature called Squirk. But the Penna used their magic to roll back the Tides, and make dry land appear, and banished Squirk to the deepest Part of the ocean. But what was it that drove the Penna from equestria? And how did we ponies get here? These are questions I must still find the answers to.

Big Mac and Breezy have been talking to me about my relationship with Ditzy... they are telling me to think things over, before I get in over my head. I still don't understand what they are going on about... what relationship? Just because we go out for a hay sandwich a few times a week doesn't mean we're getting serious. I'm not here in Ponyville to settle, I'm here to collect the data for my thesis, get forgiven by the academy, and get the heck out of here. I don't want to get saddled with a family that will take my time away from my academic work, do I? The fact we kissed after I walked her back to her place last time... doesn't mean I'm falling for this mare, does it?

Does it?

...