• Published 18th Nov 2015
  • 5,312 Views, 212 Comments

The Untold Story of Mystic Sparkle - Admiral Q Ponyform



In a devastated Equestria one sister plans to go back in time and save a sister she never met.

  • ...
25
 212
 5,312

Dark Future

The Unknown Story of Mystic Sparkle

By Admiral Q and

Inspired by Stories from Rated Ponystar

You are probably wondering why I am writing this entry at this point in time. Especially when I'm so close to enacting my goal. Maybe it’s because I have the time while I take a train to Canterlot, maybe it’s because I don’t know if I’ll get the chance to do so again. Either way, I’m on one of the few trains still operating these days. I have Lunar guards surrounding me as I travel to meet Luna. At least that's the official story, Luna and I have something else in mind. Perhaps I should start at the beginning of all of this…

My name is Mystic Sparkle. I was born one year after the assassination of Princess Twilight Sparkle. I never had a normal life, my sister guaranteed that.
Her own was the same. She started out as the second child to a low noble house, but quickly showed that she was extraordinary. She started normal enough, a unicorn gifted in magic. She then went on to become Princess Celestia's personal student; the bearer of the Element of Magic – one of the legendary Elements of Harmony. She and her friends beat the likes of Nightmare Moon; Discord, Queen Chrysalis, and Sunset Shimmer.
During these great accomplishments she ascended into Alicornhood, and earned the title of Princess of Equestria, standing equal to the great Celestial Sisters and the Alicorn of Love.

And that's where it all went wrong.

A year after her coronation she was murdered. Murdered by the very guards that had sworn to protect her. Because of her death, I never had a chance of a normal life. Afraid of further threats to the family, my mom and dad barely let me leave the house. I could sit there with my books and look out the window, and see colts and fillies my age play out in the sun. I wanted to join them so badly, but it was never to be. They might as well have been in another country. The most regular time I did get to go out, was when my parents picked up a box of baked goods from none other then Donut Joe. Then one day he up and left Canterlot, and my outside travels dropped.

I miss his donuts.

For the longest time I hated my sister. Her death was the cause of my forced isolation, and I hated her for that. Why did she have to go and DIE and make my life miserable. Mom also took part of the blame. She rarely let me out of her sight. If you looked up the definition of over protective, you would have found my mother's image. That in itself is saying something, considering what my big brother's talent is. Oh, he was the protective big brother through and through, though I think Cadance ensured he didn't go too far. Best foal sitter EVER btw. However, I have since changed my views on all that. It happened twelve years ago, when I was eight.


* * * * *

Mystic was reading another magic spell book. It was the only thing she could do to past the time. Her mom wouldn't let her out again. Her parents always wore a very concerned look on their faces these days. They were worried about something but they never told her what.

She studied until her tummy growled at her. Frowning, she left her room and headed downstairs for something to eat. Walking down the hallway, she saw pictures of her family. Some made her smile a bit. Pictures of her being born, with her older brother and Cadance in the Crystal Empire, and her birthdays. But many more caused her to scowl. They were all pictures of Twilight smiling at many different events; like her coronation, Shining and Cadance's wedding, with one of her friends in Ponyville, and so on and so forth. Over the years it has taken so much effort to not knock them down. Once in the kitchen she made herself a daffodil and daisy sandwich. She was just finishing up her meal when she heard an explosion.

“WHAT IN CELESTIA!” She heard her mom yell. Then their front door slammed open and she saw her dad standing there.

“Hurry! The nobles have acted, war has come!” If it was possible, Mystic saw her mom become even more pale.

“Where do we go Nighty?”

“The Castle, the shield is up but I heard a guard saying that they are evacuating the civilians to the Crystal Empire. Come on!”

“Let's grab the essentials first. MYSTIC!”

“Right here mom.”

“Get your saddle bag, put some food in it, a water bottle and your book.” Shrugging, she followed her mom's advice before she heard more explosions rip through Canterlot. She and her family quickly grabbed what they needed and headed out the door. What Mystic saw outside was something she had never seen before. Ponies were fighting each other, either hoof to hoof or horn to horn. The buildings she memorized from her window were being damaged or destroyed amid a sea of violence. “Come on honey we have to go.” Mystic nodded, and they made way to Canterlot Castle; which around it was erected a golden shield.

Their usual way to the castle was cut off by already ruined buildings, or the ensuing brawls. Mystic even saw that the old donut shop had been smashed in by the upper floors of the neighbouring building. Mystic looked away, but as she tried to continue she tripped on some rubble. Her mom rushed over and helped her up, just as some of the airborne action got their attention. A sky chariot with a pair of royal guard unicorns was falling, it's pegasi drivers dead in their reins. The unicorns were screaming in panic, until the chariot hit one of Canterlot’s decorative spires, silencing them forever. But the spire couldn't handle the impact, and the upper portions came tumbling down, straight towards them. Mystic was frozen in fear unable to move as the spire blocked the sky. She then felt something grab the nape of her neck, and she flew through the air. The sudden motion stopped as her father caught her. She looked back to the spot she had just been, to see her mother with a sad tear filled smile. Then, all to quick, the space was filled with marble and stone, and a resounding thump. Mystic tried to go to her mother. But her father's hooves stopped her.

“MOM! MOM! MOOOOOOOOOOM!!!” She screamed.

“She's gone Little Spark, she’s gone. Please come on, we have to go. I can't lose you to.” Her dad pleaded, the pain evident in his voice. Mystic didn't resist anymore, the fight having all but died, and her dad levitated her onto his back, before taking off for the castle once again. Mystic stared at the the ruins of the spire till they were out of view. She barely noticed when they got to the castle, and the guards let them through the shield. She barely noticed the ponies her dad walked by, some hurt, all showeing signs of flight with messed up manes and fur.

They weren't in the castle long before they were put into a large white carriage, pulled by four pegasi. The carriage had five other ponies besides her and her dad. She felt her dad bring her close to him and for the first time in her life she heard her father cry. She had seen him sniffle a few times when he looked at a picture of Twilight, but he now sounded like she did when a nightmare hit her, or when she was hurt falling down the stairs that one time. As much as she wanted to, she couldn't cry with him. A numbness had overcome her instead. She watched as Canterlot, her home for her whole life, faded from few, marred by fires and smoke.


* * * * *

Shining took mom's death really hard. Even beforehoof he had a steel look in his eyes; now it was darker, and I couldn't blame him. The day my mom died was the day I started plotting the end of those who killed her. I became determined to find out why my mom had to die that day. I looked at whatever sources I could find and asked any who would tell me why this had happened. From the short discussion I had or heard, plus what I read, the picture became more and more clear. The day my mom died was the day the war nicknamed the 'Back Stab War' began.
It seems that for a long time many of the so called nobility was unhappy with Princess Celestia's rule. The farthest she found was seven hundred years ago for internal plots against the crown of Equestria. They never went through with it till now, and I know why.

The sun and moon.

Ever since Discord's reign the unicorns hadn’t been able to move the sun or moon, needing the sisters to do it for them. After Luna’s banishment, it showed that only one alicorn was needed. While it may be possible for unicorns to take the job again it is not guaranteed that it can be done. So if they killed off the sisters and failed to raise or lower the sun, soon all would be dead.

However they found a new route to get back at the royalty. My sister. Her ascendancy was unique. She was the first pony in known history to become an alicorn and not be of Celestia's blood. Even Cadance is distantly related to Celestia, but the Sparkles have no blood ties to the royal family( until Shining married Cadance). A low noble unicorn mare in her early twenties managed to achieve such a feat, and it did not go over well with the nobility. Then her plans also drew their ire and hatred. In all the time I had hated Twilight Sparkle I had never studied her work.

After mom died, I researched the causes of the war; I saw more and more of her being mentioned, so I looked into her life. To be honest, my sister was the genius. She had her hoof tips in everything, magical theory, technology development, medical drugs, and of course politics. If enacted, her policies would have forever changed Equestria, and Equestria would have thrived from it. Instead she was dead, and war came. Celestia tried to bring Twilight's dreams to fruition, but the war ended them. Prince Blueblood managed to convince members of the royal guard to betray their oaths, saying she was planning to over throw Princess Celestia. Sorry dear brother, but honestly this shows the calibre of members of the guard. My research and discussions show that Twilight was like a daughter to Celestia, and was well known and liked in the castle when she was a filly. So why would they ever think that Twilight was a traitor?

Perhaps they agreed with the nobles and their plans. It matters little in the end. After the trial and execution of the direct murderers, Amedeus Blueblood, Prince Blueblood's father took his family and fled to start a new life in the hidden country of New Unicornia. A country formed by Unicorns that didn't want to give up their power, and never joined Equestria with Princess Platinum.

Ever since New Unicornia was discovered, Equestria had had peaceful relations with them, so we had no clue of what was to come. After the First Battle of Canterlot many thought the rebellion would be crushed. The majority of the armed forces were still loyal to the crown, so the war should’ve be over in mere weeks. Then a fleet of unicornian vessels arrived, and disembarked a full army. The rebels had been waiting for it.

It seems that Blublood managed to gain support for his cause in that land; and this no longer assured Equestrian victory. In Response, my brother and sister in law raised forces to assist the main Equestrian army, and years of war followed. It wasn’t until near the end that we discovered why Blueblood made his moves now; how he could take out the diarchy without consequences: -The head of Unicornia was an alicorn.

She had kept that fact hidden all this time, until she had to reveal it. And what made matters worse was that she was the daughter of Blueblood. No wonder he was so easy sacrifice his son. He was never going to rule; his daughter Queen Majesty would.

And ponies called Nightmare Moon and Discord monsters.

* * * *

After years of fighting, Majesty was finally slain. Unicornia was crushed, and Amedeus and his followers paid for their crimes. But Equestria did not suffer lightly. Many ponies died, including most of the remaining Element bearers. Canterlot had whole sections gone, fallen off the mountain during the Second Battle of Canterlot. Manehatten was in ruins; it was the closest city to where the Unicornian forces landed.

Ponyville is practically abandoned since it was devastated during the war. Unicorinan troops had used it as a base during their siege of the capital. Looking out the the window I can see the town. On the outskirts was Sweet Apple Acres. It was the core of the town, and it was the last to fall when the unicornians came.

That branch of the Apple family fell defending it. Though the Apples were dead, the farms trees still had apples on them, a harvest that would go uncollected. I can also see remains of the tree that my sister once lived in with by missing brother Spike.

Isn't that something, I had a dragon for the brother, sort of par for the course with my family. My sister hatched him when she got her Cutie Mark, and eventually raised him as her own. I don't know much more about him; after Twilight's death he fled Equestria, only to reappear during the final battles of the war. He died taking a blow meant for one of my sister's friends. Rarity I believe.

All of this suffering wrought because of a thirst for power. It makes me sick. My family's life and Equestria's bright future ruined from there on. From it all a question arrives, could Twilight Sparkle prevented this? Honestly I don't know. What I do know is that Twilight's death was a major key to their plans. They really started everything after her death. Cadance once told me that the power games the nobility played with itself was like a chess board with no fixed sides. Each piece either moving on it's own or by the hoof of another. Princess Celestia allowed this so called game to play out, and occasionally moved or added a piece of her own. Twilight was a major piece she had added, and planned to use well. She knew Twilight would move in certain ways so she barely had to touch my sister. After her death though, Celestia lost patience with the game and took a sledge hammer to it. Any that got in the way of fulfilling my sister's goals were steamrolled over, and maybe it was that that strengthened the nobles grips on certain ponies, holding what they could while being afraid of a tyrant. common ponies lives were changed by the reforms Celestia enacted, and a large number didn't adapt, or take to them too kindly.

One thing I came to know was this. I could no longer blame Twilight for my life. She didn't want to die. She just wanted to make Equestria better. No, the blame lies with the so called nobility. They murdered my sister, they killed my mom, and they will pay. I was going to Canterlot, and meeting with Luna to get revenge; and finally heal Equestria.

Mystic stopped writing as the train pulls into the station. She puts the book in her saddle bag and made her way off the train. There was still guards all around the station. Even though peace has come to Equestria, there were still noble fanatics around that might cause trouble. Not to mention those just desperate for food. The guards, which were donned in Luna's armor since it was night, checked her I.D. before letting her go through. She now was entering a city that she hadn’t visited for twelve years. Thought reconstruction has been underway since the war was taken overseas to Unicornia, debris was still around in places. She had to walk by her old neighbourhood, so she saw what was left. Turned out there was nothing left. That section of Canterlot was now at the foot of the mountain. She kept walking till she reached the castle. Even the castle still showed the signs of war with blast marks and missing chucks. She approached a guard at the gate.

“Name and purpose?” She asked.

“Mystic Sparkle, Princess Luna summoned me.” His eyes widened before replying.

“You're cleared. Last I heard she was in the garden. Wait here and I will summon somepony to escort you.” He then talked into a device requesting an escort. It must have been one of my sisters inventions. A few minutes later another guard arrived and tled Mystic to the gardens.


When they arrived Mystic could see this was the only area that seemed restored, and she quickly knew why. This was the graveyard of Celestia's past students, and the guard led her to the biggest structure in this little graveyard.

“You may go inside ma'am.” Mystic nodded to him and headed in. While the structure was made for her sister, it no longer held just her body. Laying with her was her fallen friends and elements. Applejack and Pinkie Pie, who fell buying time for the residents of Ponyville to escape just before the First battle of Canterlot. Reports said Pinkie kept up her antics, keeping the Unicornians in disarray till they finally got her; and all account said the sight of the civilians escaping kept a smile on her face to the end. Spike was also there, with his coffin next to Rarity's. After giving his life for her, she tapped into her life force and used all of her magic to shatter Queen Majesty's shield. She didn't survive the magical drain and died next to her brave and noble dragon.

In the center of course was her sister but her view of her was blocked by three ponies and a draconequus. The first to notice her was a cyan pegasus with a rainbow mane and tail. The mare looked at her with magenta eyes and Mystic couldn't help but see the discolored fur that formed a scar going over one eye. She had more discolored marks around her body and an ear tip missing. This could only be Rainbow Dash, one of the fiercest fighters in the war. The stories on her exploits during the war showed a mare with something driving her. Maybe vengeance like Mystic?

“Luna, Mystic's here.” The night alicorn craned her neck to look behind and smiled when she saw Mystic. Though she had no visible scars, it was a perk of being an alicorn. Luna did have emotional scars however, and the greatest sign was in her eyes. At first glance they seemed a normal turquoise color with white, but her pupils were slits.

“Mystic, my young friend, tis good to see you here.” That got Mystic to smile. Though this was the first time they met in pony, Luna often visited Mystic in her dreams. It is there this plan came together.

“Nice to finally meet you Luna.” She looked over to Rainbow Dash. “Same to you Rainbow.” Then she looked at the other pegasus. The butter yellow furred and pink mane gave her away. “You must be Fluttershy?”

“She got a weak yes from the mare. She matched her name well. Before more could be said, a pair of yellow and red eyes were in front of her.

“So this is Purple Smart's little sister. She takes after Shining Flank too much.”

“Can't help that Discord.” She shrugged. Her fur was the same white as her brother, but had a dark blue mane with a white stripe, and her cutie mark followed family legacy by having the lavender six point star with a magic pentagram inside it. It noted her skill in spell work. She decided to adopt her sisters mane style to honor her. “I am surprised to see you here.” The still self proclaimed god of Chaos shrugged himself.

“Fluttershy wanted to come and I rarely leave her alone nowadays. Plus, seeing somepony causing this much chaos? How could I not give my stamp of approval?” Before Mystic could react Discord stamped something on her forehead. Rainbow snorted.

“Discord approved? You need a new act Discord.”

“Well it isn't like I've had time to come up with new stuff these past few years.”

“Anyway, Mystic, you are sure you can pull this off?” Rainbow asked. For the first time in Mystic's life she saw hope in another pony's eyes. She nodded.

“I've worked on it for the past five years. It will work.” Rainbow nodded.

“Okay, you are egghead's little sister, so I should trust in you more.” Rainbow then looked back at Twilight's coffin. Mystic joined in the look and saw the serene look her sister's face. Celestia had magically reinforced the coffin so that nothing decays in it, and it is made near impenetrable. “Hopefully you and Twilight will fix things.”

“Won't know till we try. Now are we ready to start?” Mystic asked.

“Indeed my young friend. I have the runes written out on the floor as you wanted and both me and Discord will help supply the power needed.”

“I still can't believe your helping us Discord, with all the chaos still around I thought you would enjoy it.” Rainbow commented.

“Well Rainbow Scars, this make be chaotic, but in the worst possible ways. Death is something I can’t stand for. It is so permanent, so orderly. You can’t have much fun without living things. Even during my bad guy days, I could have easily killed Sun Flank and Moon Butt, but life would be boring without them. Same could be said when I first faced your friends. I prefer the chaos of life over the chaos wrought by death any day.”

“Let's get going then, there is a time limit to my spell after all.” Mystic said.

“Then take your position Mystic Sparkle.” Luna ordered. Mystic took her spot in the runes, and Luna and Discord channeled their magic into the spell. Mystic felt their magic, and it nearly overwhelmed her. She focused on the spell, and it's target.

Minutes later they heard a voice scream out:

“WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!?” Celestia was flying toward them like an arrow.

“Horseapples, I hoped my sister would remain asleep. Discord keep her from interfering, I can power the spell on my own now.” Discord nodded.

“Sorry Sun Butt, but this is for your own good.” With a snap on his talons there was a flash of light around her. Celestia’s forward momentum stopped, and she fell to the floor; now two foot tall and made of fabric.

“You turned my sister into a plushie?”

“Don’t worry, she is fine, she just can’t do anything. You have to admit though, she is adorable as one.”

“That's it, I’ve readied the spell.” Mystic interrupted the banter.

“Good luck Mystic!” That came from Fluttershy of all ponies. Mystic nodded and cast the spell.

To help heal the world, Twilight was needed, but she was dead. Dead, at least in this time line. To heal Equestria she had to go back in time.


She had to save Twilight Sparkle.