• Published 3rd Sep 2015
  • 831 Views, 1 Comments

Twilight’s Royal guard - Wynd_Dragon



Celestia has invited the mane six to Canterlot. The Twilight and her friends arrive at the palace to receive a surprise none of them expected. Later twilight realizes She has lost a very important keepsake and searches desperately for it.

  • ...
 1
 831

Chapter 1: Twilight's Royal Guard

“I wonder what Princess Celestia summoned us for.” Pondered Twilight as the group of friend’s made their way to the throne room.

Having heard this concern several times while traveling to Canterlot, Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes but then replied excitedly, “I bet it’s an awesome mission where we save Equestria again.”

“Well,” Applejack spoke up, “whatever it is, it must be real important for her to be so secretive, like this.”

Arriving at their destination they find both Celestia and Luna waiting with smiles on their faces.

“Welcome my little ponies,” she greeted, “I’m so happy to see you all.”

“Thank you Princess Celestia. It is an honor as always to be here,” answered Twilight Sparkle as she bowed before her former mentor, “but, I have to ask. What is this all about?”

Celestia’s eyes grew soft when she smiled and announced, “Since your ascension to the position of princess, Luna and I have been putting together a group of ponies to assist and serve you and each of your friends, as your royal guard.”

Twilight entered a brief state of shock, standing there not really registering the situation.

Pinkie raised her hooves to her face exclaiming, “Whaaa…?”

Fluttershy lowered her head, worried about meeting these guard ponies.

Rarity looked almost giddy at the prospect of having a royally appointed vassal.

Rainbow Dash seemed insulted.

Applejack looking confused as she inquired, “Pardon Princess, but did you say each of us would receive a guard?”

“That’s right,” replied Celestia, “with the notoriety you have all gained in saving Equestria on multiple occasions and due to the power all of you share when together, it is imperative that each of you are protected from those that would try to separate one of you from the others.”

“Well, thanks Princess Celestia,” interjected Rainbow Dash, “but, I don’t need anypony to babysit me.”

“Rainbow Dash!” shouted Rarity, “Firstly, you should be more respectful in the presence of Celestia and Luna. Secondly, the guards will be there to serve us, not just protect us.”

“Thank you Rarity,” Celestia stated, “Rainbow Dash, I understand your feelings, but I felt this would be for the best, so that each of you could live your lives in peace.

“I want you to be able to go about your days without the concern of an attack on yourselves or the citizens of Ponyville.”

“She does make a good point,” Fluttershy concurred.

Dash landed her rear onto the ground and crossed her front legs in defeat.

Celestia signaled, and a group of six stallions nearly identical in appearance to each other marched into the throne room.

Examining the half-dozen guards for a moment, Pinkie whispered loudly to Applejack, “Do you think it’ll be hard to remember who’s who?”

As if on cue a pegasus adorned in slightly different armor stepped forward and gave the order, “Guards, remove helms.”

In unison the six stallions discarded their helmets and immediately their forms changed, and for all except the one who had given the order their armor vanished.

“Ahhh…,” stammered Rainbow Dash, “what just happened?”

“It’s an illusion enchantment.” Twilight announced, as she smiled reassuringly to her friends, “All guard ponies wear it, except the captain that is.”

The pony that had been wearing the real armor commanded the others, “State your name, and then report to your assigned charge.”

A large earth pony stepped forward and in his deep voice announced, “The names Strong Hammer.” Walking over to Applejack he greeted her with a slight drawl in his voice, “Happy to be working with you, Miss Applejack.”

“Thanks,” she answered then asked, “Will you be helping around the farm?”

“If you like.” He answered without hesitation.

“Can you pull a wagon?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Plow a field?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Eh-hem.” The armored pegasus interrupted, wanting to continue with the introductions.

“Guess we’ll see what you’re capable of when we get to the farm.” Applejack said ending the conversation.

The next guard to step forward was another earth pony, this one was a bit shorter and much more slender than the previous. His long mane was decorated with beads and a few feathers braided in. His eyes set in a stern glare, he opened his mouth to speak, but no words came. Looking over the ponies in front of him his expression softened just slightly. He turned a pleading gaze too Celestia who then spoke on his behalf.

“This is Firm-Branch. He will be assisting Fluttershy.

“Go on Firm-Branch.” She gently commanded.

The colt then went to stand with his charge.

“Um…hi” offered Fluttershy.

Her guard replied with a quiet nod and the slightest hint of a smile.

From the line a well-groomed unicorn formally dressed and sporting a red bow tie came forward.

Rarity began to smile, and when their eyes met she almost swooned.

“I humbly offer my greetings to all the lovely fillies present.” He announced projecting his voice dramatically, “I am Curtain Call, master illusionist.”

In that moment he faded away leaving only a blue rose in place of where he had stood. Suddenly the sound of hooves applauding came from the space next to Pinkie Pie. And standing there was the dashing unicorn.

Taking Pinkie Pie’s hoof in both of his, he offered, “Ma ’dam Pinkie it is a great pleasure to be working with you.”

Rarity’s mouth fell open. Quickly catching her unrefined expression she regained her composer before briefly shooting her friend a jealous glance, then turned away.

“That was great!” Pinkie proclaimed, “Was that a teleportation spell, like the one Twilight uses? Do you always dress like that? Is that a top hat for your cutie mark? Do you perform at parties? What’s your favorite color? Have you been a royal guard for long? What is your favorite flavor of cake?”

The questions stopped as she paused to gasp for air. Curtain Call raised his hoof shoving a cupcake into her mouth in order to prevent the train of questions from continuing.

“Good call on the cupcakes Princess Luna,” he acknowledged under his breath before turning his attention back to Pinkie who was enjoying her cupcake, “Miss Pie, to answer your questions… No. Yes. Yes. If that is what you wish. Red. Yes. And, Carrot. I’m sure you have many more questions, but how about we save the rest for the trip to Ponyville so that the introductions can commence?”

The Pinkie nodded her head, her mouth still full of cupcake.

A tall shaggy looking unicorn stepped up and stated, “I’m Golden Forge.”

Following his brief introduction, the unkempt guard made his way to Rarity.

“I hope we can work well together,” he stated offering his hoof.

She winced at the colt’s soot covered hoof, and hesitantly accepted the gesture.

“Thank you,” she affirmed quickly retracting her front leg and wiped it off with a handkerchief. Then turning her attention back to her new vassal, she stared at his long scraggily mane and tail. After a moment of examining the disheveled beard, she glanced up to notice he had an eyebrow raised incredulously at her.

“Yes, Lady Rarity?” He asked with an edge of mockery to his voice.

“Nothing,” she responded, “Just planning some things out.”

He sighed rolling his eyes at her statement as they both turned their attention to the remaining guards.

Moving forward a half-asleep pegasus made his introduction.

“Hi,” he said stifling a yawn, “I go by Stealth Shadow.” With that he walked up to Rainbow Dash and greeted her with a simple but friendly, “Hey.”

“Hey…” she responded raising her eyebrows at her unenthused aide.

The last remaining guard moved to where each of the preceding ponies had stood, his armor clanking slightly, and raised his voice to a near shout as he introduced himself, “Princess Twilight Sparkle, Ma’am. I am Captain Sharp Wing. I am here to serve and protect you to the end, or until I am released from my duties.”

Finished with his proclamation he approached her and bowed low.

“Um… thank you,” Twilight answered with a bit of embarrassment and added, “Please rises.”

Standing at attention he stated, “Yes ma’am, thankyou ma’am.”

Seeing this display she shot Celestia a perplexed look.
Celestia responded with just a gentle smile, then announced, “I realize that this is a strange situation, but I hope each of you will be willing to learn from this experience.”

Following the princess’ statement, one of the castle’s servants announced his presence, “Princess Celestia” he bowed as he spoke. “Dinner is ready.”

“Wonderful, shall we adjourn to the dining hall my friends?”


The little banquet was beautifully spread with treats of all types. The six guests ate and talked with their host enjoying the visit to the fullest.

Then Pinkie asked in surprise, “Hey, where did the guard ponies go?”

“They are getting things ready for your return to Ponyville,” answered Princess Luna.

“Oh,” responded Twilight, “Didn’t you get my letter Princess Celestia?”

Celestia tilted her head in confusion, “Letter about what?”

“Well, you see we were actually…”

Twilight was interrupted by a knock at the door.

“Pardon my intrusion,” Captain Sharp Wing apologized as he approached his princess, and bowed before offering his report, “Princess Twilight, after a preliminary search of the train we have determined the vehicle is secure enough to travel as soon as you are ready.”

“Uh… thank you,” Twilight responded, “but we were planning on staying the night here in Canterlot.”

She nervously glanced at Celestia, “That is, if it’s alright?”

“Of course Twilight, you know you are always welcome here,” she confirmed.

“Very well,” Sharp Wing replied stoically, “We will be on call until you are ready to depart.” With that he raised a hoof in salute and exited the hall.

An awkward pause hung in the air, only long enough for Pinkie to produce her emergency party cannon, and the meal continued on until Luna had to excuse herself so she could attend to her nightly duties. The other ponies followed suit and the visitors were lead to their guest rooms.

When Twilight arrived at her room she quickly set to rummaging through her bag. After a moment she dropped her bag in horror when she realized that she probably left the item on the train. Speeding out onto the balcony she took flight racing through the air toward the train station, and wishing, “Please be there. Please be there.”

“It’s a great night for a flight, eh Princess.”

Her wings stiffened in shock at the appearance of the seemingly disembodied voice. With this sudden lack of aerial mobility she began to spin out of control.

The mysterious pony who had spoken, quickly swooped down, barely in time, to help her steady out so they could make a safe landing.

“Princess Twilight, are you alright?!” frantically asked the pegasus that she now recognized as Rainbow Dash’s guard.

He continued, “I’m so sorry! It was not my intention to scare you. If there is…”

She stopped him with her raised hoof.

“I’m fine… Stealth Shadow was it?” The purple alicorn affirmed.

He nodded in reply.

“Right then,” accepting his response she continued, “I was hoping that the train my friends and I arrived in might still be at the station.”

“Oh…” a pained expression tugged at his face as he responded, “Well, you see. After you expressed your desire to stay the night the captain sent the engine on its way.”

“I see,” she sulked starting to head back toward her room.

“Princess,” Stealth Shadow called after her, “what was so important about the train.”

“Hmm,” she sighed, “There was a book I had left on it.”

“Eh!” he jumped, “I remember there being a book with the items found when we investigated the train cars.”

“Really?” she probed, putting her front hooves on his shoulders, “Who was put in charge of the items?”

“Um,” he paused, “Strong Hammer, but…”

“Where is he?” she demanded.

“He should be at the barracks discussing some business with Golden Forge, but…” before he could finish he found the princess had already left.

“Heh,” smirking, as he said to himself, “she’ll find out eventually,” then he flew off in the other direction.


Memories of all the times she would meet her brother here resurfaced when she arrived outside the barracks. The guard at the door let her pass without and any trouble and even informed her that the two she was looking for were in the mess hall.

Just before reaching her desired location she overheard a loud voice exclaim, “What do you mean the hammer can’t be ready till the end of the week?!”

“Look. With everything going on it will take time to get that and all the other items on my list taken care of.”

“Pardon me.” Twilight interjected after she entered room.

“What?!” the stallions snapped in unison.

“Oh, Princess!” stated a mortified Golden Forge, “Please, forgive us. We allowed our discussion to get a little heated.”

An embarrassed Strong Hammer stared on, barely able to nod his agreement.

“Well…,” she started, “Anyway, I’m here to ask about a book found on the train earlier.”

“A book?” Strong Hammer questioned in surprise.

“Yes, it’s important to me.”

“Hmm,” the large stallion thought a moment, “I think Firm Branch took a book from the stuff we found.”

“Eh?” Golden Forge budded in, “I could have sworn I saw Curtain Call grab a book before he left.”

“Could there have been more than one book?” the Twilight implored.

“Perhaps.” Golden Forge replies stroking his beard

“Do you remember if the book either of you saw was green?” she pressed.

Shrugging in response, Strong Hammer said, “Sorry Princess, I wasn’t paying that much attention.
“You see most of it was junk.”

Forge shyly nodded his agreement.

“Huh…” Twilight sighed, “Were can I find those guards?”

“Well,” Strong Hammer pondered, “Firm Branch can usually be found in the gardens with the animals, and Curtain Call is most likely in the court yard practicing his tricks.”

Offering a word of thanks she rushed off.

Reaching the gardens in mere minutes she searched anxiously. With her quarry nowhere to be seen she began to notice how calm and eerie the gardens seemed without the light of day or the noise of celebration. Her mind trailed back to her first time exploring the Everfree Forest with her friends, and a nearby snap made her jump as she screeched in terror.

Her scream caused the gardening pony that was trimming the hedges to nearly drop his clippers.

“Oh, hi Twilight,” he greeted his annoyance having disappeared, “out for a late night stroll?”

“Well actually,” she replied regaining her composer, “I’m looking for a guard pony named Firm Branch.”

“Well then, I can take you right to him.”

“Really”

“Yes-sir-eey.” He answered, leading her through the garden.

After a moment or so the two found a pony fast asleep on the ground with about eight critters nuzzled up against him.

“Aww,” Twilight responded to the sight, “So, how can I wake him up to ask about my book?”

“I don’t think you’ll have much luck with that.” The gardener responded.

“Huh?”

“Even if you could wake him up without bothering those animals, you’d be hard pressed to get him to say anything,” he stated walking away, “In any case, all he had when he got here was that container he’s got.”

Twilight angled her gaze to see a rectangular blue tin tucked under his hooves. And, for a moment she considered trying to ask him about it, but decided to head to the courtyard instead.

Arriving at her next destination she heard a squeal of joy and a very familiar voice gleefully demanding, “Again, again!”

Drawing closer she spied a pile of coin, a small mound of scarves and a scattering of playing cards. In the middle of it all surrounded by a light shroud of smoke was an enthusiastic Pinkie Pie and an exhausted Curtain Call.

“Hey Twilight!” Pinkie called out when she noticed her friend.

Moving faster than one could blink she ran up, snatched Twilight and placed her in the spot next to her own in front of Curtain Call’s makeshift stage.

Though his eyes betrayed how tired he was, Curtain Call wore a broad smile as he continued with the act.

“Welcome princess!” He announced, “You made it just in time for the finale.”

Suddenly six orbs of light materialized and began dancing around as he directed them like the conductor of an orchestra. The shining globes then transformed, taking the form of various instruments, and released music consistent with their shapes.

The illusion had his audience so entranced that neither of them noticed how he had vanished from stage and was now sitting next them.

Getting Pinkie’s attention at a que in the music, Curtain Call waved his hooves and with a wink, he produced a box of chocolates.

Pinkie screamed joyfully, “You found my chocolates!” then wrapped him in a big hug, before grabbing the candy and digging into her reclaimed treats.

The small band vanished with a ‘pop’ when the ecstatic mare’s outburst broke Curtain Call’s concentration.

“Curtain Call?” interjected Twilight, seeing her opportunity.

“Hmm…?”

“Did you grab a book from the stuff found on the train?”

Tilting his head a moment, the unicorn explained, “The only thing I took was that.” He pointed to the book shaped box that Pinkie was eating out of.

“Oh,” she responded with dejection, “well, thank you.”

“Twilight, are you alright?” Pinkie asked popping up in front of her friend. “Maybe Curtain Call could do another trick.”

Forcing a smile Twilight replied, “Thankyou Pinkie, but I just need some time to think.”

Nodding her head, Pinkie Pie comforted her friend with a hug.

Briefly returning the embrace Twilight walked off toward the palace.

Trying to hold back her tears she headed for her room. Slowly walking down the hallway Twilight spied a serious looking pegasus in captain’s armor standing in front of her door.

Seeing her approach he straitened up and gave a salute.

“Hello… Sharp Wing.” she greeted.

“Princess.”

“So… what are you doing here?”

“Yes.” He pulled out a slightly singed green book, “Stealth Shadow told me you were looking for this.”

Seeing her missing property she snatched the item and hugged it, a big smile stretched across her face.

“I’m sorry I didn’t return it sooner.” He apologized nervously.

“It’s just good to have it back.” She replied, still holding the piece of literature close. “This book is precious to me.”

“Because it’s from your brother?” he assumed, his stance relaxing.

“Yea, but…” She stopped, “…wait, how did you know that?”

“Oh...uh,” hesitantly, he responded, “he signed his message to you in it.”

“So, you were reading it?” she concluded, now standing up.

“Yes.” He replied, an awkward tone in his voice. Then bowing his head he explained, “I’m sorry, it had just been so long since I last had access to a copy and before I knew it I had gotten lost in the pages.”

“You like ‘The First Hundred Quests of Star Swirl, The Bearded’?”

“I know it’s more meant for foals, but I find these stories inspiring.”

“Me to,” she responded a smile on her face, “well, is there anything else.”

“Yes.” He straightened up again, “When do you expect to be leaving for Ponyville.”

“Late afternoon, tomorrow,” she answered, “we thought we might do some shopping after breakfast.”

“Would you like me to send a few of the guards to assist with the bags?”

“Thank you,” her voice a bit awkward, “but I think we can manage.”

“As you wish,” he gave a salute, “If there is nothing you need I will take my leave.”

Dipping her head slightly she acknowledged, “Thank you Sharp Wing.”

As he marched off Twilight smirked and went into her room.

Placing the reclaimed treasure on the table, she brushed the worn out cover with her hoof. She smiled as she thought how it was one of the few of her possessions to survive Tirak’s destruction of the library. Opening it she read the message Shining Armor had written years before.

‘Let these adventures lead you to have your own,

‘Love your B.B.B.F.F.’

“What?” She looked toward the door. “How did he know?”

Author's Note:

I haven't really done very much writing. So this may still need a lot of work. None the less I hope those that read it found it enjoyable.

Comments ( 1 )

Cute start to this story cant wait for the next chapter :heart::heart:

Login or register to comment