• Published 17th Nov 2011
  • 6,617 Views, 234 Comments

Pony Shorts - Miyajima



A collection of short stories about our favourite pastel-coloured Equines.

  • ...
2
 234
 6,617

A Little Storm of Chaos

Rainbow Dash stared at the various miscellaneous objects she’d gathered from around Ponyville that morning. She’d taken some books from Treetop Library (to Twilight’s amazement and delight), bought a bag of sugar and some cocoa from Sugarcube Corner, some milk from the market, a small bottle of red food dye, and some cooking utensils borrowed from Applejack.

Added to that was a packet of cloud seed from Cloudsdale, at no small expense, and a hastily scrawled recipe.

“… Right…. So… First I put the sugar in the bowl…” Rainbow hesitantly poured out a portion of sugar into the waiting mixing bowl, sitting on her kitchen table. She stared at the sugar in the bowl, then back at the recipe.

“… And now… Heat. Right. I can do this.” She tentatively placed the bowl on the hob and flicked on the heat with her wingtip. “… Now what. Oh, right, the milk.”

Glancing again at the recipe, she began to mix the cocoa and milk in another bowl, stirring with a spoon in her mouth until she was certain it was well mixed. Checking the oven again, she found the sugar had melted into a fine syrup. She quickly added some of the food colouring, then grabbed a fork in her mouth and started to tease at the syrup, drawing it out into long, thin threads that trailed all over the kitchen surface and quickly got entangled in her feathers and fur.

“Ackpth!” She exclaimed, as she tried to clear the light strands off her wings, slipping and plunging her hoof straight into the warm syrup. This only served to make matters worse, and soon she was covered, head to hoof, in lightly spun sugar and sticky syrup.

Struggling to extend her wings, she managed to bring them together in a thunderous clap of compressed air that cleared her body and threw all the web-like sugar into the air. It hung in the air, and she carefully guided it back down into a bowl with controlled gusts from her wings.

She quickly threw in the packet of cloud seed and the chocolate milk, and then, wisely, dove for cover.

~~~

Pinkie was clearing up after a good day’s sales when she heard the bell on the shop’s front door. Mr. and Mrs. Cake were making a start on the morning’s stock in the kitchen, so she ran out from the store cupboard to serve the late customer.

Dashing into the shop front, she found it empty, save for a carefully wrapped package sitting just outside the still-open door. Curiously, she wandered over and looked at the label tied to the ribbon.

’To Pinkie Pie, Don’t Eat It All At Once.’ Huh. I guess it’s for me!” She grabbed the ribbon in her teeth and pulled.

The package exploded outwards as a cloud of Pinkie-pink cotton candy ballooned from the confined space, heavy with chocolate milk rain. Almost immediately it began to precipitate, drenching the stunned Pinkie.

She didn’t take long to recover, and was soon skipping happily in the chocolate puddles, giggling like a little filly.

Rainbow, watching from the roof of Sugarcube Corner, smiled happily.