• Published 1st Sep 2015
  • 462 Views, 2 Comments

One-Eyed Bear - ziaodo



I am Fright Rainmaker, the one and only true bugbear in Equestria. not much to tell, I work odd jobs and hide what I am. Displaced Myra Reinkemeyer.

  • ...
6
 2
 462

Deliveries

Wake up, snarl at the sun as I raise out of bed, get dressed,untangle my black mane, leave room, drink tea. Ah the morning routine. “The tea is delicious as always Ze.” I say to my housemate.

“I am glad you like it.” she replies with a smile, looking more sinister than she means to due to her fangs showing. “You going to town today, Fright?” the snakes that make up her hair shift to look in my direction.

“Yeah, Berry’s paying me to cover a shift at the bar so she can go to Canterlot for a convention of some sort.” Ze’s feathered wings shift as she points across the room with her long serpentine tail.

“Would you mind making a delivery for me? Miss Loose is due for another dose of wolfsbane to suppress her shifting. And the Belles will be needing more banderbrew soon.”

“Ehh.. sure, anything else?” I ask her trying to avoid making eye contact.

“Hmm… Could you perhaps stop by Miss Drops home and request some Nixie Essence?” Ze asks.

“Yep.” I pause momentarily to organize the list in my head. “So drop off Screw Loose’s wolfsbane, and deliver the banderbrew to the Belles, go work a shift at the bar and stop by Bon Bon’s for some spit. Got it.” I give Ze a thumbs up and head towards the door.

“Already forgetting the brews?” Ze asks as she gets up and slithers across the room.

“Hehe, sorry. Just in a hurry to get the day started I guess.”

Ze goes into the back room, her lab, while I wait by the door. A few minutes later she returns with a cloth satchel filled with the deliveries. “Here you go, Fright.” she says as she hands me the bag. “Don’t break them.”

I put the satchel on and open the door. “I won’t break’um. I’ll see you tonight or tomorrow.” I wave back as I walk out the door.


The path from out home head straight to the main road through the forest. I make a quick scan of the road to Ponyville, the only thing near it of any consequence is a manticore. However Martha is a big ol softy when you get to know her, unless you are deer. I am not a deer, I am a bear. A Bugbear… that looks like a pony because magic.

The spider shaped medallion around my neck bounces off my tawny coat as I walk causing me to take notice of it. I pause for a moment to look at the crack in it before remembering I need to adjust my form before reaching town. A simple change that involves no magic, I need to put on the eye patch that’s in my pocket.

I place it over my left eye. ‘Stupid Medallion, stupid crack’ The crack causes a single issue with my otherwise perfect disguise: my left eye isn't hidden by the medallion’s magic. It is always bugbeary and very noticeable.

It doesn’t take long for me to reach Ponyville and I do a quick scan of the town, looking for Screw Loose. ‘Seems she is helping Carrot Top today’ I think before heading off in her direction. Within five minutes I catch sight of her, running Carrot’s Carrot stand.

“Hey Screw!” I shout, waving at her.

“Morning, Fright!” she shouts back with a smile. “Here to buy some carrots today, hmm? Or are you just stopping by to say hello?” She asks.

“Neither, I am here to give you this.” I reach into my satchel and pull out a jar of wolfsbane. “Ze said you were running low, so she figured I could deliver some while I was in town today.” I hand her the jar. I still don’t know how she can grab things with hooves.

She takes the jar and cocks a brow “So you weren’t going to say hello if you weren’t delivering this?”

“Nope!” I reply with a smile, she scowls. “Its not like that Screw, if I wasn’t delivering it to you, I wouldn’t have stopped by the market. I’m working for Berry at the bar today.”

She smirks “Another odd job? Why don’t you just settle on one constant job, Fright?”

I deadpan “You know I can’t, I get bored to easily. Well that and I like the flexibility of working odd jobs. Plus if my schedule wasn’t as flexible I wouldn’t be able to do my actual job.”

“Being a gopher?” she tries to stifle a laugh, probably imagining me as a 6ft gopher.

“Bounty hunting. Unfortunately and fortunately, I guess, Equestria has a rather low crime rate. So I don’t get to do much in that department. Pays great when I do though!” I smile. “Well I best be off, I have a couple of other deliveries to make, then its off to the bar for a few hours.”

“Cya later, Fright” Screw Loose says as I walk away. I wave over my shoulder as I walk away.

‘Next stop, Carousel Boutique’ I think as I head off to my next delivery.

Within a few minutes I arrive and go inside. I internally gag. ‘Too much pink!’ “Hey, Rarity you in?” I shout, knowing full well she is.

“Just a moment!” I hear her shout from the back room. I tap my foot, while I wait for her to come out. “Eep! Sorry, dear, but can you come back later?” She shouts a few moments later.

I deadpan. “No. However all I need is a moment of your time for a delivery.”

“Delivery? What delivery? I didn’t deliver anything!” she shouts.

“Hmm… so Madam Z was wrong? You don’t need any more? Ok then, I’ll just take it back to her.” I turn and start walking toward the door.

“Madam Z?! You have it!” A large white and purple weasel like creature with a fabulous purple mustache bolts in from the back and tackles me into a hug. “Thankyouthankthankyouthankyou!” She opens my satchel and quickly pulls out a vial of banderbrew. She quickly chugs it.

“Let me guess: You were busy and when you realized you were out you had already given the last to Sweetie?” I ask her.

She gives me a sheepish grin “Yes, yes something like that. Now dear what can I do for you today, hmm?”

“Just making a delivery for Madam Z, I really don’t “ I am interrupted by three of Rarity’s horns vanishing and the last shifting to the center of her head. I watch as her hind legs grow in length and her arms shorten. Her tail nearly vanishes. I am always amazed by the physical shifting bandersnatches experience while under the effects of banderbrew.

Rarity suddenly blushes realizing her pony midform is naked. She shrieks and runs into the back. “I’ll cya later, Rarity!” I shout as I head out the door, not bothering to listen for a reply.

Author's Note:

READ THIS
Hello people, this is an idea that has been rolling around in my head for bit that I decided to share.

First things first:
Terminology:
Since these terms would be know to the general public within the fic, I don't see a good way to introducing them to you any time soon... so I'm gonna take the lazy road.

Forms:
Fullform: this is the base form of the creatures in this fic. (For ponies is being a pony :O big shock)

Midform: Anthro form granted by a medallion. (Pony = anthro pony) so yes, ponies can be either!

Human Form: Only the older medallions allow this form. This one is a bit different. In Skin Deep this allows a creature to become human in appearance, here is allows you to take on the midform of the most populous creature in your area (Equestria = pony form)

Medallion: A magic medallion that allows one to take on another form, they are creature specific and only one individual can use them at a time. (YOU ONLY GET ONE).
-new medallion - common medallion for ponies, mass produced only allows midform.
-old medallion - grants both mid and human forms.

That should be it for the main terms you need to know, sorry about explaining it this way.

This fic will update whenever it updates (randomly). As it serves as a method for me to improve my ability to write dialogue. And I don't have an editor for it, my editor for my other fic is busy with school so I'm not gonna add more to his plate with this one. Sorry.

If you don't like this story, point out why please! If you like it... say something.

Comments ( 2 )

i like this so far

It flows pretty well.

Just remember that too is an adjective "too much"
and to is a preposition.

Login or register to comment