• Published 2nd Dec 2015
  • 3,338 Views, 151 Comments

Queens to Check, Dragon to Mate - dracone



Spike and Chrysalis are now raising a family, but her "side of the family" threatens the peace when they arrive.

  • ...
7
 151
 3,338

Further Preparations

Author's Note:

Yes, I finally finished this chapter. Initially I wanted to jump into the arrivals of Chrysalis's family half way into the chapter, but then I realized I needed to explain where the foals were during the proceedings and why it's not a good idea for them to be kept close during the event. I also finally decided on a name for Rarity's daughter, still not hinting who her husband is in this one though, although given Rarity's personality and the name she gave her daughter I'm sure some of you can determine what tribe she is most likely of.

While working on this chapter I got the idea for a spin-off story involving Dusk, Satin and Novel, which I might work on in the future. I intend for the next chapter to begin with everyone arriving for the actual meeting, I'm hoping I get the descriptions of their looks and personalities written close to how I have in my head.

It was almost a full week after Chrysalis's announcement and Twilight had Chrysalis was hooked into a machine that had a helmet that was uncomfortably close to her horn. The helmet was also making Chrysalis feel a bit uncomfortable for other reasons as well. What was all the more confusing was the array of readout devices next to Twilight, who also happened to have a small collection clipboards on the table next to her, and Seeker seemed to be enjoying her play time with Violet Emerald in the corner of the room Twilight and Chrysalis had set up for them.

“Could you actually explain it to me this time, Twilight,” said Chrysalis as she gave a few apprehensive pokes at her helmet, “you never did explain what we're doing in here or what exactly we're going to be testing.”

“Well, I had to modify the unicorn magic readout device a bit to it make more compatible with changeling magic, then I had to make sure the modifications to the system were well within the margin for error and tolerances, all for this test. It all took much longer than I thought it would, and we are kind of cutting it close, but if this works out we'll be able to better understand the magic changelings naturally use for locating each other, and then just maybe we could devise more effective systems for locating and identifying them, maybe even have portable changeling detection units, when it comes to that Rainbow and Rarity are probably going to insist on some sort of name for it, or insist on using a name derived from whatever acronym I start using for it.”

“So, they're going to insist on calling the device CID,” said Chrysalis, “I'm pretty sure it will take more than a few months worth of testing, and this device is more than a little snug on me. How do you plan for this test to operate? Also, shouldn't Seeker be attending classes?”

“Simple, you use that detecting ability to locate your girls at increasing distances starting with Emerald and moving out further until you're reading their activities at your colony grounds. As for Seeker, I pulled her out so she can keep Emerald distracted, I didn't want your filly messing with the readings in some way, and she'll have all of today's homework waiting for her when we're done here.”

“She does seem to get excited about schoolwork and homework, even so, it will look like favoritism if you keep pulling out select foals that always seem to include your daughter. Maybe have a day every few months that allows parents to take their foals, and maybe some of that foal's friends, out for the day to show them what their jobs look like, you could even choose some other foals to spend the day with their parents and make the claim you started with Seeker because it was just you wanted to start test the idea right away and needed time to set things up with parents of said foals, it's not too late to actually do that.”

“You have a point, and it might help with what I intend for the school.” Twilight took another quick look at the readouts, “Looks like everything is in the green, use your locating ability to see where Emerald is in relation to you.”

Chrysalis gave the violet alicorn a skeptical look before complying, Twilight took a look at the readouts and took some notes down in her log book before gesturing for Chrysalis to extend her range, “Alright, I've extended the range of detection to the school grounds, I'm starting to feel a tingle at the base of my horn.”

“What does that mean?”

“One of three things. It could mean I'm near limit of my magical limits, which I'm pretty sure is far from true; I'm picking up on a strong magical presence in the range, which is likely when you consider what the population of Ponyville is like; I'm picking up on the presence of members of a hive outside my own, which is probably also likely.”

“I'm guessing it's somepony from another hive,” said Twilight as she checked the readouts, “the readings I'm getting are unfamiliar to me. Ugh, it's going to take weeks to go over all this data to just make a basic prototype. We can't have a go any further with your detection, doing so could alert the unknown changelings to the position of your colony grounds, and I'm pretty sure Spike isn't going to like having uninvited guests.”

“Well, none that aren't recognized family.”

Twilight gave a little smile as she looked over the readouts, as she did she started thinking about where to put the rest of the youngsters. “What about Pinkie's place, we can have its activities shut down 'til the meetings are concluded.”

“Easier said than done,” said Chrysalis, “Queens have a tendency hedge their odds. How could we really know any of the ponies that were there to look after them or sent to make checkups were who they claimed? After all, the girls are still learning about their abilities. My three eldest might be able to tell they're dealing with disguised changelings, but the younger ones have yet to properly manifest that ability, and chances are low that any one of the three will be present at any of the official meetings of the ponies sent for reports on what's going on during our meetings. Then you have to take into account most queens have notoriously short interest when comes to meetings and will make go for motions to end the meetings early or attempt to cause critical points of the meeting to be rushed. Then we have to take into account the nature of Pinkie's business, Spike and I ended up doing a bit of a rushed job on a tunnel network near her place for a party that happened a few days ago, and you know how finding proper supervision for all the girls was in regards to that. Even if all the older foals were supervising the younger ones how much success do you think they'd have keeping track of twenty-one changeling foals in addition to the rest of the younger foals? Spike and I are lucky our foals are mostly accommodating, but I think that has more to do with the general sense of safety they have in our home. So, even if all the foals not involved in the meeting were to spend their time in the colony proper we would have to find a way of checking up on them all without leading any potential threats to the colony grounds.”

“Oh, you're right. Not to mention, that's a lot to consider. What about the pet you got from Fluttershy? I'm sure she could be a handy security system.”

“Naga hasn't really grown much since she arrived, besides we really don't know much about salamandra beyond the fact they've evolved to be able to live in high-temperature environments. She could already be full size her kind or grow to a size that dwarf's Spike at his current development level, we just don't know enough about them. From what we've been able to learn from her thus far is that her kind actually seems to prefer a social dynamic of some kind, when we aren't leaving her to herself the girls tend to visit her chambers and she seems to get excited about interacting with them. But as a guard beast, she's not quite intimidating enough, and probably could never be.”

“Fair point, fortunately, your colony grounds are in one of the least hospitable places in Equestria, which is a little odd for anypony to really be saying.”

“Rule one of establishing a colony ground, have the environment work against all potential hostile threats.”

“Sound reasoning when you’re near constantly expecting to be attacked, I think we got some good base data,” she started powering down the device, “I will see you and Emerald in a few days to continue these tests. As for finding a safe place for the foals during this coming meeting period, I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement by the appointed time.”


***************************

Chrysalis and her eldest daughters were on their way from school, alongside Twilight and Seeker, it was eerily quiet for Twilight and Seeker. “Chrysalis, I know for you 'hive speak' is the most secure form of communication,” said Twilight, “but for those of us out of the loop it’s a little creepy.”

“Oh, sorry,” said Chrysalis, “had to tell the girls we won't be going back to our place for a while, and explain why that is. And it's not just the most secure means of communication, remember what else?”

Twilight's eyes went wide with realization, “It also allows you to provided far more detailed information than a verbal communication, you weren't just giving them a brief rundown of things.”

“That's right, I also had to relay this all to Spike, but since he's not part of the link I had to have one of the younger girls act as an intermediary, thankfully due to the way the girls talk there's no confusing anypony between me just using the link to have one of the girls be a messenger and me outright taking control. I would never do the latter to my girls, but most queens are known for doing so without putting much thought or effort into it.”

“Which is why when you called for the meeting you made it clear that no proxies were permitted to take their place during the meeting.”

“Wait,” said Seeker, “are saying Auntie Chrys could do that sort of thing to any of my cousins?”

“Could, but refuses to even entertain the notion,” said Novel, “the only time she'd even be willing to do such a thing is such an extremely low probability it's nearly nonexistent.”

“It's actually had the likelihood jump a bit,” said Chrysalis, “remember why?”

“There are scouts from hostile hives that are now more obviously in town, likely in preparation for your meeting with those other queens that is set to happen next week,” said Dusk.

“And likely also looking for a route to the colony grounds,” said Chrysalis, “it might be a while before we can go back home, so we might stick around with all of you a bit longer than usual, besides we need to work on some plans detecting changelings more effectively.”

“We're all ears,” said Twilight.

“Ahem,” said Chrysalis.

“Oh, right, out in the open with potential unfriendly changelings nearby, I'll call the girls and we hash this out in a more secure environment.”



****************************************

“Well, can't you just do the regular checkups the same way you relayed info to Spike?” Said Rarity.

“I only do that if the situation has a sense of urgency to it,” Chrysalis, “and I always make sure it's one of the more mentally oriented of our daughters, even so, do that as a regular checkup at fixed intervals might alert other hives. We can't really trace hive links, but if they have at least one member close enough to either point they can be made aware that hive based communication is happening, and at a meeting like this that can have dangerous implications.”

“It's too bad you can't share that sort of thing with others outside the hive,” said Fluttershy.

“Um, about that,” said Chrysalis, “I don't know if Spike has shared this or not, but it is possible for a non-changeling to be part of the link.”

The six mares stared at her, carefully Twilight said, “He hasn't shared that, probably thought you either deserved your privacy or didn't think it was important to the research I've been doing. How is that possible?”

“When a changeling first mates with their partner there is a period of a few hours where that partner is part of the hive's link, after that it goes out. I don't really know why that is, but that's just how it goes, I think it might be a system that makes it so the link establishes to ensure that the coming offspring are all tied to the proper psycho-magical frequency, or something to that effect. But it's been years since I first mated with Spike, any potential magical markers for detecting something like that would have broken down into his natural magic field by now.”

“I hate admitting something like that, but you're right. That would still be the case even if I had thought to check for something like that during the checkup he had with me after you two became mates, too much time has passed between the initial exposure and present. I'd probably only have been able to get proper read on that during the time period he was linked into your network. Augh,” Twilight pulled her hands down over her face, “now I'm going to try working on a formula to simulate a changeling hive link communication.”

“On the plus side, it'll probably take years, possibly decades or centuries, for somepony to find a way to listen in on everything, but when that happens they'll probably also end up developing a way to listen in on changeling communications. However, everything has its risks.”

“True enough,” she gave a little smile, “can you imagine what the Royal Guard would be like with equipment that allowed them to communicate at almost the same speed and effectiveness changelings do?”

“Twilight, it's a controlled thought process. That means emotions can travel freely over the link, do you realize the implications of something like that?”

“Yes,” said Fluttershy, “and we've gotten a little off track.”

“Ah agree wid Shy,” said Applejack, “wha’ can we expect from the 'visitin’ dignitaries' a’ this comin’ event?”

“They're going to assume all my genuine behaviors you've come to know are some sort of carefully cultivated act. In fact, they're going assume that all the genuine information we provide willingly is either altered or fabricated. All the news articles you have framed regarding my wedding with Spike, they'll honestly believe them to fake, and confirmation that we all have copies won't dissuade them from that sort of thinking. Even with them all personally confirming that nothing was done to hide the kind of changeling Emerald is they will still not believe the very information they confirmed themselves to be genuinely honest. Most of the meeting is going to be posturing, finger pointing, and several other forms of bluster that really have no place in a meeting of this nature.”

“When it's all over I still get to bust some changeling heads, right?” said Rainbow with genuine interest.

“Only if they step out of line, darling,” said Rarity.

“We're also going have all sorts of rules they have to adhere to when they're in Ponyville and the summit Chrysalis called,” said Pinkie in her usually cheery voice, “after all we don't want them ruining the party.”

“The other princesses will be in attendance,” said Twilight, “That should limit their options a bit.”

“We can only hope,” said Chrysalis who then turned her attention to Emerald, who had been sleeping in her lap the entire time. Looking back up at the other mares Chrysalis said, “Changeling meeting conventions are a bit different than you might expect, especially since they’ll doubt my current natural state is genuine. They will bring up subject matters that ponies find uncomfortable, and really won’t care that such matters are not talked about in the sort of setting the meeting is.”


**********************************************


“That seems like a reasonable plan,” said Celestia, she and Chrysalis were having some tea in Canterlot while Luna played with Emerald off to the side, “but what about a navigation plan?”

“I was thinking we let our passengers decide,” said Chrysalis, “we just need to have an airship big enough for all the foals not involved in the meeting, and those whose partners are not involved can also be on board an accompanying ship, but both ships will plot their own courses for where they’ll be going and docking during the meeting. I figured if we don’t know where they’re headed it will be harder for hostile infiltrators to find them, we’ll also keep communications to a minimum for security reasons. Also, the ships will be devoid of their crews and be completely operated by the passengers, it’ll have the added bonuses of both cutting out possible hostile infiltrators and giving the older foals something to do when they’re not on sitter duty.”

“Makes sense, but what about everypony else.”

“Those involved with the meeting will most likely be on high alert for changelings that are acting as influencers, subtle or otherwise. I wish there was more we could do for everypony else, but sadly, all we can really do is send out a citywide alert to Ponyville and let them know as much as we can, and hopefully not incite a panic in the process.”

“That shouldn’t be too much of an issue, over the time Twilight has lived in Ponyville the town has gained a bit of reputation for having some unusual happenings on a rather regular basis. Also, thanks for bringing Emerald, Luna just adores foals.”

“I was sort of counting on that, something about Emerald triggers the ‘cuteness’ response in others, so far the only ones that seem to have a resistance to it are Luna and myself. She nearly stopped her father’s heart with her first dig, and when she found the water source outside Twilight’s castle she and some of the girls almost had cardiac arrests themselves.”

“And to your knowledge, no changelings have had this distinctive quality before.”

“That is correct, Twilight has theorized that the type of changeling actually influences their natural defenses. Since Emerald is a changeling whose natural abilities mostly focus around locating and procuring resources it stands to reason she would have a natural defense that would be designed for affecting the widest possible number of potentially hostile forces. From what I’m told about the ‘cuteness effect’ it has the ability to quickly pacify most hostile forces, add to the fact she probably will develop to being a completely non-hostile changeling herself once fully matured and you have a near perfect new citizen for Equestria. Novel, Dusk, and Satin might be my most matured offspring, but I’m pretty sure I want the face of my new hive to be Emerald.”

“I would like to say that is a rather beautiful sentiment, and what are your thoughts on our husbands regarding meeting?”

“Spike’s presence at the meet will most likely be mandatory, for a variety of reasons; Flash will likely have to make his presence at the meeting known as well, seeing as he is both Twilight’s husband head of her security; Discord can feel free to pop in if he feels like it, besides putting him on schedule is beyond an exercise in futility.”

“True, and the other spouses?”

“The meeting shouldn’t have to interrupt their regular lives, if they can be part of the proceedings that would be appreciated, but they should probably keep out to their other duties. As for the foals going on their little air ride, it’s more of precaution to keep them from popping up during the proceedings or being forced put those in the meeting in a potentially compromising position.”

“Cadance will probably insist on Skyla being part of the proceedings, I will leave Lucent an open invitation for both events, it’ll be entirely up to her.”

“Given their personalities that seems prudent. Of course, now we have to teach some of the older foals how to operate an airship, that might prove more time consuming than we think.”

“Then we had best get started,” said Luna as she came up to the two with a sleeping Violet Emerald in her arms.

“Agreed,” said Celestia as she and Chrysalis got up from their places.

“The first part of all this will have to be finding an airship that is both big enough to house all the foals that won’t be at the proceedings that meets both the needs of them and their parents, and maybe some of their other ‘criteria’ for a…”

“Roadtrip,” said Celestia.

“Then let us begin with getting a list of every serviceable airship for the task,” said Luna, “after we have weeded out the ones that are not within the proper margin we can bring that list to the rest and have work on separating the wheat from the chaff.


***************************************

“I’m sorry you want to leave our foals under only the supervision of older, and hopefully more responsible, foals on what?” said Rarity in a very surprised voice.

“An airship,” said Chrysalis without changing her composure or having her voice remain even, “believe it or not this a legitimate safety measure.”

“Ah don’t see how,” said Applejack.

“Because of their abilities anypony we assign to join them could prove to be a changeling at an inopportune time,” said Twilight, but I don’t see why we can’t just send the foals to some distant location and have them remain supervised by somepony we trust.”

“Do you want to take the chance your ‘trusted associate’ turns out to some kind of changeling that’s been hiding on orders from another hive for years. In case you forgot, Twilight, ‘reconnaissance’ is still permitted in territories marked as off limits under the Changeling Accords, and each queen has her own ideas of what constitutes reconnaissance.”

“Oh yeah, forgot about that part,” said Rainbow Dash, “and even if they aren’t one of their neighbors or associates in the area might.”

“Changeling meetings are a headache,” said Pinkie, “none of them have fun surprises.”

“Why do think the queens meet once every few decades?” said Chrysalis.

“Well, I’m onboard with the airship idea,” said Rainbow, “of course I was the moment you mentioned it.”

“I’m not sure about it all,” said Fluttershy, “but if it will keep our foals safe I’m in as well.”

“Well, Fortune has been asking fer more responsibility, this mite serve as a good learnin’ experience. Ah’m in.”

“A place for the foals have lots of fun uninterrupted, you know I’m all for that,” said Pinkie Pie.

Rarity gave an exasperated sigh before saying, “Since I’m clearly outvoted, I’m in on this plan as well. But that doesn’t mean I like it, Palladium Nonpareil better not have anything bad happen to her.”

“Well, looks like everypony is behind this plan,” said Twilight, “Celestia, Luna and Chrysalis did some looking into suitable vessels, it’s up to us to decide on which wins out and work on putting anything it’s missing, as long as it isn’t superfluous or lacking some kind of practicality to it,” on instinct everyone’s attention drifted to Rarity.

“I admit, I’m not quite as much a victim of that mindset as I was in the past, but just to be on the safe side maybe Applejack, Twilight and Chrysalis could act as buffers, for both Pinkie and myself.”

“Maybe we should all act as buffers for each other,” said Chrysalis, “we all have tendencies to make design choices that might prove detrimental. And we have to do it all quickly, the meeting is just around the corner.” All the mares around the table gave a quick nod before Chrysalis and Twilight pulled out some files on over three dozen different ships and everpony got to work looking over their choices, a process that would ultimately lead so far into their activities that they would take two meals and reschedule everything else for that day and the next, while at the table.