• Published 2nd Dec 2015
  • 3,338 Views, 151 Comments

Queens to Check, Dragon to Mate - dracone



Spike and Chrysalis are now raising a family, but her "side of the family" threatens the peace when they arrive.

  • ...
7
 151
 3,338

Morning: Before the Meeting

Predictably, all the visiting changelings elected to have breakfast in their rooms. Spike and Chrysalis acted as a unit taking the meals to the individuals they needed to go to, with the only semblance of courtesy provided by Arachne but in a rather condescending manner. All the queens were informed of the time the meeting would resume, a few minutes past nine in the morning. Everyone started having their morning meal at a little after six in the morning, that gave them roughly three hours before the unpleasantness of the meeting started again. Spike and Chrysalis were a little concerned with the fact that Violet Emerald was so groggy that morning, she was barely awake long enough for taking a few bites of her food. Usually, the changeling filly would be making a go at shoveling her food in a manner that would likely cause Rarity to chastise her but she barely got in three or four bites, with almost no chewing, before unceremoniously nearly having her sleeping face meet her plate. Thankfully, Pinkie’s absurdly fast reflexes got the food away from its position and somehow placed a pillow where the plate had once been.

“So, why is she so tired?” Twilight inquired, “It’s not often you see a foal her age this tired,” she took a small bite of her meal at the end of her statement.

“She followed me into the dream realm,” said Luna with a light giggle and smile, “it seems like she somehow managed to hitch a ride on my spell, same holds true with the return trip. As such, her consciousness was with me at the place between all dreams. I got a glimpse of what her spirit and mind are like.”

“Well, I hope she wasn’t too distracting,” said Chrysalis.

“Not at all,” said Luna, “last night was rather devoid of potentially malicious dreams. Although, how Chrysalis manages to make sense of the sheer volume of content coming out of Emerald’s mind is impressive, as is her ability to determine the thoughts with the highest priority.”

“Changeling queens are used to having a lot of chatter, it just usually comes from multiple sources,” said Chrysalis, “as to how I’m able to make sense of what her mind has to say to me or determine priority in regards to Emerald, it seems to be an extension of my maternal instincts. It’s not such that I actually know, it’s more a case of instinctually feeling it all.”

“I suppose if we ever get the helmets that have the spell that mimics the changeling link up and running the ponies wearing them would have to learn how to do something similar, even the most disciplined mind can inadvertently let things leak. The more I think about it the more problems keep popping up.”

“What was that expression you used a while back,” said Chrysalis with amusement, “ah yes, ‘innovation is progress that happens in response to obstructions’, or did I quote you wrong?”

“Eh, sounds close enough to something Twi would say, ta me,” said Rainbow Dash.

Twilight gave the cyan pegasus a look of mock anger before saying, “I probably would have tried to make a go at the project, or at least made a series of notes on it, without Chrysalis’s influence. Chances are, I probably would have taken a bit longer without her providing an example of a template to utilize. But enough about that, what can we expect from the rest of our ‘guests’?”

“In all likelihood,” said Chrysalis, “the only one not considering killing me is Arachne, I could see it in her behavior during the events of yesterday. But chances are things still won’t go well.”

“What surprises me,” said Celestia, “is the potential ability of your offspring to latch onto the magic of others.”

“Likely a side effect the changeling ability to share memories over their link,” said Twilight, “they probably just need to be used to the magic to the point they can synchronize, Princess Luna has been spending a lot of time with Emerald.”

“I actually didn’t realize it was her at first,” said Luna, “her presence on the dream plane was very similar to pony a foal of similar age. It was quite a bit of a surprise to me.”

“That just further confirms everything we’ve come to know,” said Cadance, “I haven’t gotten a chance to spend as much extended time with any of the girls as the rest of you, you know how much I adore foals.”

“Well,” said Spike, “to be fair, you do reside a bit further than most of us would call a casual trip. It takes almost a full day to travel to the Crystal Empire on a specialty train that only stops at the bare minimum of locations while in transit, which means catching a regular train there can easily take a few days. You know how restless young foals are, most of our girls aren’t even a year old yet. Emerald is barely seven months old, and she’s one of the younger foals in our brood. The majority of the girls are in the range of seven to eight months, the only real exceptions are our first three. And even they tend to get a bit restless on extended trips, especially Dusk.”

“She does have an issue with being in some state of idle,” said Chrysalis, “she can barely make it through a day of class without being called out for leaving her seat without permission most times.”

“Every pony, and by extension every foal, has their own needs,” said Celestia, “ your girls are in what many ponies like to refer refer to as ‘the age of innocence’ and Emerald proved just how innocent she is by the happenstance of her first trip to the dream realm with my sister.”

“But why did it take some time for Princess Luna to notice she had a tagalong last night? Surely, she should have noticed quickly that she had a passenger on the trip,” said Cadance.

“That just speaks more to her innocence and unique quirks of changeling magic,” said Shining Armor, in a way surprising everyone else as he made to eat some more of his breakfast, “if we think back to when we first met Focus Crystal, what was the most obvious character trait she showed?”

“A strong attachment to anypony with a powerful magic flow,” said Skyla, treating the situation more like a sort of thinking game, “she also showed a sense of insecurity around lower magic level individuals, her own natural magic levels were akin to a unicorn gifted with an unusually high natural magic level. Satin Care has also shown a sense of uneasiness around ponies that have high levels of unwelcoming emotions running through them, even if it’s not openly obvious. But Emerald is a little rambunctious with a pension for curiosity.”

“Exactly,” said Shining Armor, “and I appreciate you’re going the extra mile. When we first encountered Crystal she was drawn to the most powerful magic forces in the area, which is why we arranged the venue the way have now. We’ve trouble nailing down Emerald’s magic axis due to the unique nature of her abilities, but what if her magical axis is in a state of pseudo-flux.”

“Come again,” said Twilight, “since when are you big on magic theory?”

“Since my appointment to the higher echelons of the Royal Guard, ended up having a magic obsessed baby sister and decided to date then ultimately marry an alicorn, in a way learning advanced magic theory became an occupational hazard for me,” said Shining Armor with a tinge of amusement, “all ponies have a magic axis, its what helps channel the natural magic of their tribe in addition to that connected to their personal talents, alicorns are a bit of an oddball in this equation because they actually seem to have three magic axes. Regardless, pony axes tend to be quite varied and dependent on a number of variable factors. We’ve learned through Chrysalis and her girls that changeling axes are a bit more confined, with the trade off being their axes actually influence how they develop. What if due to the fact her changeling type is so different her natural magic is trying to find the axis that it best synergizes with? It could potentially explain why her development is so erratic, her magic doesn’t actually know which axis best synergizes with it. Her natural defense takes advantage of an emotional axis while her natural abilities take advantage of both the physical and mental axes. Her system literally doesn’t know which axis to put its primary focus on, which probably could lead to stunted development in the future. Her magic probably wants to find a template to more or less act as a balancing force, so in a sense, her magic is reaching out in a more proactive manner to gauge other magic forces.”

“Oh, I get it,” said Pinkie, “because the axes her magic has made contact with are either a kind that doesn’t exist for changelings or is one of the types that is but is too spread out between examples her magic can’t come to a decision on what its own axis should be.”

“And since Chrysalis wants each of her girls to develop in their own unique way she can’t bring herself to tell Violet’s magic which axis to lock in on,” said Rarity, “that’s probably why she ended up going for a ride with Princess Luna, but once she got to the dream realm her magic ended up finding an overabundance of possible templates to the point it confused her for a short time.”

“That sounds about accurate,” said Chrysalis, “the only thing I can’t understand is why this is persisting. If that theory is accurate, which I suspect it might, why hasn’t her magic set on a template already? She’s literally encountered the magic of Twilight and myself in very short order, both of us seem to have mental based axes. Not to mention, she spends a lot of time around Rarity, but I suspect Rarity’s axis isn’t similar to that of any changelings. I just want my little girl to have a healthy development.”

“For ponies, a fluctuating magic axis is normal during early development at very young ages,” said Skyla, “it’s a way for them to help develop their abilities in the time before they acquire their cutie mark. But for changelings, this is likely not anything particularly healthy. Although, there is the possibility her system could end up creating a whole new axis as a focus for her magic.”

“Every creature has a magical axis,” said Celestia, smiling as the sun slowly rose under her power, “it is just more evident in entities like ponies, changelings and a few others out there. Here’s a thought, what if her magic is trying to gain a similar focal point to that of her father? Due to their high natural resistance to magic dragons are usually able to block out most magical forces directed their way.”

“But she’s spent an extended period of time with me looking over her and the other younger fillies,” said Spike, “I even spent most of the day with her a few times over the past month or so. Since she’s technically part dragon her natural magic should have some sort of natural workaround for enough of my natural defense in regards to magic to at least pick up on the aspects of my own natural magic field.”

“Sound reasoning,” said Discord, “but did it ever occur to you that her own magic is confused?” Everyone took a look at him with interest and surprise, aside from the still sleeping infant, “Chances are very high her magic wants to have a healthy medium between her mother’s natural magic and that of her father, much the way Lucent’s magic is in regards to Tia and myself. Lucent’s magic is a mesh of draconequus and alicorn magic. Up until now all of your girls have had clear changeling magic with a hint of dragon tendencies, but due to the fact the sleeping bundle of cuteness here has personality tendencies that lean a bit more on the dragon side of things chances are her magic wants to be a bit more draconic as well.”

“Which explains the sporadic and contradictory development she’s had,” said Lucent, picking up on what Discord was implying, “changeling development is dictated by magical axis, but since Emerald’s axis hasn’t really cemented due to its own confusion that could explain some of her developmental problems.”

It was at this point Violet Emerald woke up for a short while, she seemed completely uninterested in the food that was once again under the cover to keep it fresh. Something about the conversation gave Chrysalis an idea, a thought she hadn’t considered before then. Chrysalis turned to the changeling filly and said, “Good morning, my special filly. Mommy wants to know, who do you want to be like? Please use physical words so everyone at the table can hear it.”

Violet Emerald blinked a few times before seeming to come awake for a few minutes, in her adorable foalish voice that only Spike and Chrysalis had really heard prior she said, “My wanna be wike mommy and daddy, my wanna be wike my aunties.” After saying all that she gave a cute yawn, showing off her mouth’s internal structure in the process.

“You can be like anyone you want,” said Chrysalis as she nuzzled the filly. "But no matter what, your magic will always be you and no one else. No matter who you’re like, your magic will always be you, but right now it can’t seem to decide how you will be you.”

“What makes my little gem of a filly who she is?” said Spike, “Tell everyone at this table so we can all know.”

“My am smart, my am loved, my wike to dig fwore shinies, my wike to share what my find, my wike sweeing ponies happy. My wike it when daddy uses his funny names fwore mwee, my wike it when mommy cuddles mwee. My wike it when mwy aunties are happy.”

“All those are you, none them is more or less important than the others,” said Chrysalis, “no matter what, your magic will still be you just like you will always be you.” As if on cue Emerald’s eyes and horn slightly pulsated before calming down.

Emerald, now a bit more articulate said, “Mommy, what just happened?”

Chrysalis smiled and nuzzled her daughter and said, “We gave your magic a few hints on where it needed to go, and it was you who decided where. We were all a little worried about that, your magic seemed confused on where it needed to go before now. We’re so proud of you, you showed your magic where it needed to go all by yourself. Do you know why?”

“No,” said Emerald with confusion.

“Mommy will tell you when you’re older,” said Chrysalis as she passed the infant to her father, “but for now, just know everyone here, at this table and will be home when this event is over, is very proud of you.”

Emerald gave a bit of a giggle, the first time she had done something like that audibly. It was almost as if she was getting out all the opportunities to be like any other filly her age she had passed on. It seemed her silence had been mostly a product of her magic’s confusion about how she should develop.

“Nice to my precious gem is having an enjoyable time,” said Spike, “do you know who is with you at the table?” He was looking forward to hearing her say her names for everyone in her own words, not Chrysalis acting as a mediator.

Emerald tilted her head in a way that was an adorable mesh of Twilight’s inquisitive head cock, Rarity’s elegant, Luna's amused head tilt, and Chrysalis’s interested head tilt in what seemed to be her thinking look, everyone at the table gave the impression they nearly had a cardiac arrest. Several months of building up a tolerance to the cuteness that was the behavioral patterns and actions of Violet Emerald and one simple movement not seen before by anyone before then managed to threaten everyone present with a trip to the emergency room, their visitors would likely have actually suffered some sort of medical problem related to either heart issues or blood sugar levels or possibly both if they had been present. Emerald had the ability to weaponize her cuteness, but only unknowingly as things were now.

Spike had nothing but pity and sympathy for anyone she decided to mess with once she figured out how to do such things of her own volition. The thought of any of the girls dating, especially during their teens, caused him some mental annoyance and anguish with a hint of overprotectiveness, but chances were once Emerald was that age things take a straight turn into medical issues. He gave a quick whisper of the matter to Chrysalis, who gave a little chuckle at the thought.

After coming out the cutest thinking look any of them had seen, Emerald said, in her adorable voice, as she gestured to everyone in something shy of actually pointing, “Mommy, Daddy, Auntie Twilight,” Twilight gave something between a giggle and a coo at hearing that along with being gestured at, “Uncie Flash,” Flash nearly collapsed from the nickname he hadn’t been told about, “Auntie Cadance, Uncie Shiny,” Shining armor literally dropped from the cute nickname while Cadance just giggled, “coozie Skyla,” said young Alicorn nearly followed her father before following her mother’s example, “Auntie Luna,” Luna just swelled with adoration at the fact her insistence had been followed up on, Chrysalis blinked a bit from being caught off guard in regards to the nickname Luna now had, “the pretty mare with a horn and purple mane,” she gestured at Rarity.

“Well,” said Rarity, “it’s nice to see she thinks that.”

Emerald gave Rarity a blink before continuing, everyone showed some measure of amusement for their nicknames, Discord actually liked being called “Mr. Discoed,” to the point he literally turned the whole meeting room into a disco hall, complete with everyone being put into disco inspired attire, Twilight was not amused while Celestia just laughed in good-natured fun. Discord himself was in a gaudy disco dancer suit colored orange and green with an afro that might as well have been a disco ball on his head and elevated pump shoes. Luna was less than pleased, especially given Discord had seen fit to put Emerald in a green disco ball outfit. Chrysalis was not happy for the same reason as Luna. Everyone else had amusing little nicknames, with Applejack joking that she should name her next daughter the nickname that Emerald had given her. Rainbow wasn’t happy with her designation because she felt it didn’t define her awesomeness in the right way. Everyone else chuckled good-naturedly when they heard their nicknames according to Violet Emerald.

Author's Note:

Now, I wonder what kind of axis her magic could have. I'm thinking things over on what it could be. We know that the known axes are Mental, Physical, and Emotional. What could the core of her magic be centered around?

As always, you know my policies.