• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 1,848 Views, 68 Comments

The Blueblood Chronicles - No One and Nobody



What if there was a reason that Blueblood was a jerk? Sometimes things aren't always what they seem you know. This logic applies to ponies as well.

  • ...
9
 68
 1,848

Chapter 2

Author's Note:

The three asterisks mean that the narrative shifts back into or out of the past.
Also, if I got any Luna-speak incorrect, please tell me and I'll fix it.

Chapter 2: A Rebellion in Years Past.

“Nopony ever knew who Blueblood’s mother was; Nopony but his father. You see many thousands of years ago, Equestria was ruled by three alicorns, Luna, our brother and myself. The prince was named Lucifer. Luna controlled the moon, I controlled the sun and Lucifer controlled the earth. Blueblood was the son of Prince Lucifer. When Blueblood was around four years of age, Lucifer’s heart became corrupted. Luna and I tried to make peace with him but he was adamant not to rule with his two sisters. I can still recall our failed attempt to reason with him…”

***

“Lucifer!” Celestia yelled as they entered their beloved brother’s room, “Where are you?”

The alicorn princesses stared around the room. Lucifer had cast a spell to destroy any and all light cast in the room. The atmosphere was like a wet blanket and both Celestia and Luna practically glowed as absences from the spell. The heart of the spell sat on the hearth at the other end of the room, an anti-flame, absorbing light and heat and radiating darkness.

A gentle voice came from the shadows; Celestia and Luna couldn't tell from where exactly.

“Ahhhh, Celesssssstia, Luna, My two sisssssters,”

“Luke, brother!” Luna yelled, “I beg thee, do not carry out your present course. We can govern the skies together as a family, just as before.”

Lucifer cackled.

“Little sissssster. Do you think I would ssssshhhare the power? Power desscccendssss only to the worthy. I will rule Equesssssstria by myself, as sssoon as I take care of you two!”

The darkness seemed to gather in a corner of the room and then suddenly a bolt of magic emerged, flying straight at the two sisters. Celestia dodged the bolt of shimmering dark magic but Luna was less fortunate. She was flung into the wall and Celestia ran over to her little sister and examined her while keeping an eye on where the blast had originated.

A dark, stocky alicorn emerged almost hesitantly from the shadows. He stared at Luna's limp body lying in the corner and his eyes flashed briefly with grief and remorse.

“Lucifer!” Celestia yelled at him, “Look at what you did!”

“I almost killed her…” said Lucifer, with terror in his eyes. Then, the terror seemed to catch fire and he let out a maniacal laugh, “Ha Ha Ha Ha, I ALMOSSST KILLED HER! If I can defeat my sissster who governss the moon, I am invincccible!”

“Not as long as I am around!” said Celestia, stepping away from her sister and lowering her horn.

A glowing orb of light took shape at the tip of her horn, diffusing into the shadow of the room and illuminating her brother further. She cast the sphere of burning light at her brother but he dodged back into the shadows, his cackling echoing through the room.

“Celessssssstia, you are growing weak. Besides you cannot possssibly win here. You are in my element. It will not be long before I rule Equesssssssssstria.”

“NEVER!”

Celestia conjured another bright blast of magic. This time she managed to hit him as he darted quickly between the shadows. It hit, but made no impact. The magic cascaded around his body, like water against a bolder in a river.

“You sympathetic foal! Darknessssssssssss is stronger that light!”

Lucifer stepped from the shadows and hurled a bolt of dark magic at the shocked Celestia. The magical blast knocked her to the ground and she lay there, dazed.

“Yesssss Celessssssstia. Bow before your new ruler. Luccccifer.”

“I will not bow before you brother. We are equals! I am sorry, but I must stop you before you hurt anypony else. Forgive me mother.

She spread her wings and with one might downbeat she rose into the air another spell charging on her horn. However instead of aiming this one she let go of it and exploded into the air around her, sending a wave of energy across the entire room, burning away all the shadows and snuffing out the dark fire in the mantle. Lucifer stood, vulnerable without his shadows, on the other side of the room. His sister, obviously drained from the spell, jerked her head and let loose another blast which hit Lucifer and sent him corkscrewing through the air into the stone wall near the hearth with a sickening CRUNCH! He landed on the ground with with a pained grunt lay there, breathing heavily.

Celestia readied another blast as half a dozen unicorn guards rushed into the room and surrounded Lucifer.

Lucifer looked at the guards who held swords to his neck and laughed.

“You think you have won Celesssstia? Only the strong shall prevail, and you are weak... I shall return.

A wisp of shadowy smoke darted from a corner of the room and flurried around him. Celestia let loose her spell but the shadow had already claimed her prisoner. He was gone and all that was left was the smoking crater in the floor from her spell where he had been standing.

Celestia swore under her breath and descended to be with her sister.

“LUNA!” she implored, cradling her sister’s limp head in her hooves, “Speak to me. Are you alright?”

Luna remained motionless and Celestia buried her head in her sister's mane and sobbed.

The guards removed their helmets and bowed their heads quietly.

I... shall... return?" whispered Luna, coughing slightly, "How... cliched."

Celestia drew back in surprise and then embraced her sister, tears of joy mingling with tears of sadness.

“He got away,” Luna said, growing stronger by the moment.

“Yes.”

“And there was no reasoning with him?”

“No. Our brother is dead to reason. He is convinced that he is superior to us that and that only the strong should rule.”

“I had hoped his eyes would be opened to the truth. Where has he gone?”

“I do not know. I am certain that I broke his wing before he escaped, but of us three he was the weakest of wing and the strongest of hoof. We must prepare for another strike. He will no doubt attack again. We are the only ones who can stop him and he knows it.”

“Tia, are you quite sure that he will hurt us? We must be certain... After all, this is Luke, our brother.”

“No sister. He is no longer our brother. He is a stranger to us, a worshiper of power, a danger to Equestria and now... our enemy.”

***

“Wait a moment,” Twilight interrupted, “There is something I don’t understand. I’ve read a multitude of books on pony history and I’ve never came across the name of Prince Lucifer.”

“As you will remember," Luna said, gliding into the room, “The story you found of Nightmare Moon was thought to be nor but an old pony’s tale. This was long before then. Lucifer’s tale was all but forgotten.”

“What happened to the citizens of Equestria while this Lucifer fella was loose?” Applejack asked.

“Panic reigned for years,” Celestia said.

“Then I take it he didn’t attack again very soon.”

“You are correct. He ran off with Blueblood and began to gain power while avoiding us. He knew we were more powerful than him at the moment, but he deluded himself into believe he had the right to rule.”

"Why did it take years ta beat this Lucifer fella?" Applejack asked.

"Because it wasn't your average war," Celestia said, "Are you aware of the term, Guerrilla warfare?"

"Gorillas?" Applejack asked, "Of course I know what they are. Why, I took Applebloom and her friends to the zoo once and we saw some gorillas."

"Different kind of gorillas AJ," Twilight explained, "Guerrilla Warfare is a war fought by raiding civilizations unexpectedly in a hostile environment and because of its unpredictability, guerrilla wars can last many years."

AJ looked at Rainbow Dash who shrugged.

"In contrast to regular warfare," Twilight finished, "Neighponyonic warfare, which has two sides meet on a battlefield and duke it out till one gives up."

"Oh," Rainbow said sarcastically, "I get it."

She then mumbled under her breath, "Egghead."

Twilight turned back to Celestia and continued.

“Why didn’t you use the Elements of Harmony?” Twilight asked.

Celestia shook her head.

“It was foalish of me I know, but... I had hoped to still reason with him. To bring him back to friendship. He was my brother after all. We had been close as children and we were still new to ruling. I have made mistakes even after Lucifer," She lowered her head and Luna put a hoof on her shoulder in comfort. She took a breath and continued, "However that is not the focus right now. Lucifer ran off, taking his son with him. Blueblood told me about it many years later, when he had come to terms with his childhood.”

***

“Ssssssson,” Lucifer said, storming into his son’s living quarters, “We mussssssst leave, immediately.”

Blueblood stared at his father’s wings, or at least where they used to be.

“What happened to your wings Dad?”

“Wingsssssss are a sign of corrupt power my ssssssson. Your Aunts spread their magic through their entire body to be in harmony with all their subjects. However I have removed my wings to concentrate more power in my horn and hooves. The pegasi are pathetic pigeons that I shall bring to earth and render no better than the rest of us. Now come, we mussssssst go.”

“Why are we leaving father?” Blueblood asked as some of his clothes were thrown into a set of saddlebags by his dad, “What’s wrong?”

“Your auntsssssss have betrayed me. We musssssst flee.”

“What did they do?”

“We do not have time to talk about it. Let’sssssssss go.”

Blueblood found himself ripped away from his life to be pulled off into the unknown.

***

“He never had a chance to say no,” Celestia said with a tear in her eye, “Lucifer tore him away from his life of goodness and happiness to a life on the run from his aunts who he was told were evil.”

“How horrid!” Rarity said in shock, “Why, if I had known-“

“You wouldn’t have yelled at him?” Celestia asked, giving Rarity with a hard stare, “Why does it matter to you? This is ancient history, and do you really think that you should forgive a pony because he had a tragic life? Shouldn’t you forgive a pony simply because?”

“I suppose so,” Rarity said, looking at her hooves, ashamed, “I just… never knew.”

“I understand,” Celestia said, placing a hoof on Rarity’s shoulder, “We all must learn these lessons. Best to learn than to repeat the same actions later.”

“One thing that bothers me Princess,” Twilight inquired, “Blueblood is the son of royalty, correct?”

“Yes.”

“Then why isn’t he an alicorn.”

“Because,” Luna said, “One must earn thine wings. They are a sign of pure devotion to one’s subjects. Blueblood was never given the chance to earn those wings. Luke never gave him that chance, and constantly indoctrinated him with the might and majesty of the unicorn and earth-pony race.”

“Luke?” Twilight asked, her head cocked to one side in bewilderment.

“That was Lucifer’s nickname, like I call Celestia, Tia.” said Luna, “We shared good times as well before he lost sight of the true purpose of royalty.”

“Do YOU have a nickname Princess?” Pinkie asked, staring right into Luna’s face.

“Umm, perhaps,” Luna answered, uneasy.

“She does,” Celestia said with a coy smile.

“Oooh... What is it?” Pinkie interrogated.

“It hardly matters,” Luna said, staring at her hooves.

“That bad, huh?” Rainbow Dash asked, with a smirk.

“I called her Lulu,” Celestia said, holding back a laugh.

“TIA!” Luna yelled.

The five ponies, Twilight and Celestia collapsed on the floor, laughing uncontrollably.

“Glad to see thou art amused,” Luna said, rolling her eyes, “At my expense. Perhaps though sister, you should continue thine tale?”

“I suppose… Lulu!” Celestia said, wiping a tear from her eye.

“That accursed name!” Luna muttered under her breath.

“What happened to Blueblood and Lucifer after they left Canterlot?” Rarity asked with baited breath.

“I do not know everything,” Celestia said, “Perhaps it would be better if Blueblood himself told you.”

“Oh no your Highness,” Rarity said, grabbing Celestia’s hoof, “I couldn’t face him. Not after what I said.”

“Perhaps you could take the opportunity to amend thy wrongdoings,” Luna suggested.

“Yes,” Rarity said, “I suppose so.”

“Captain BraveWing!” Celestia called.

“Yes your Highness,” said a Pegasus guard from outside the room where he had been positioned.

“Please tell my nephew that I wish to see him immediately.”

“Right away your Highness.”

“While we wait I can tell you that while Lucifer and Blueblood ran over Equestria hiding from our guards, we tried to set up a course of action,” Celestia said, “Lucifer began taking hold of different cities and towns, forcing the inhabitants to join the army he was creating. He even made mares and foals fight. Some of the ponies our guards fought didn’t even have their cutie marks.”

“So your sayin’ kids as young as Apple Bloom?” Apple Jack asked in horror.

“Younger,” Luna said, a grave look on her muzzle.

“How awful!” Rarity said, “Did the guards have to… kill them?”

The room fell silent at the idea.

"Never,” said Celestia firmly, “The royal soldiers laid down their own lives before they would take those of Lucifer's hapless soldiers. Fortunately most of the time they would just subdue them. They had numbers but lacked skill.”

“Why did they fight if they didn’t want to?” Rarity asked.

“Lucifer cast a spell on them taking away their free will,” Celestia said, "It gave them one all-consuming purpose to live by and relegated all other desires to importance. They ignored sleep and food to do the jobs that were required of them. Luckily this usually made their bodies too weak to put up much of a battle against our forces. It was mostly our job to keep Lucifer from using them to death.

“Auntie,” Blueblood said, walking in the door, “You wanted to see me?”

Then, seeing Rarity and her friends, he turned and said,

“Never mind. I’ll come back later.”

“NO!” Rarity yelled as she ran in front of him, blocking his way, “I must now apologize to YOU, Prince Blueblood. It was I who was a… umm… Snerk, not you. I offer up my sincerest of apologies and hope you shall forgive me for my actions. And if you do, I would be most honored to call you my friend.”

Blueblood stared at Rarity for a moment and then turned to his two aunts and asked, “Who is this and what did you do with Ms. Rarity?”

“She has experienced a change of heart Blueblood,” Celestia said, “Am I correct, Rarity?”

“Yes, I have.”

“Then…” Blueblood said, pausing slightly, “Then yes, I do forgive you and am happy to call you a friend.”

“Thank you,” Rarity said.

“GROUP HUG!!!!” Pinkie yelled, embracing everypony in a tight hug.

“Does she do this whenever there is a tender moment?” Luna asked through the tight grip of Pinkie’s hoof.

“Pretty much,” Twilight answered.

Pinkie released the ponies from her embrace.

“Now,” Celestia said, brushing off her coat, “Blueblood, please tell the ponies about your younger life. You know, with your father.”

“You mean when we were on the run?” Blueblood asked.

“Yes.”

“Well…”

***

“When my father took me away from Canterlot I had no idea what was going on and where we were going. He didn’t tell me anything. I was only told my aunts had betrayed us and were dangerous. The guards that followed us convinced me of that. They would storm into where we were hiding and my father would have to fight them off. He instructed me in dark magic and soon we were fighting them off together…”

“Prince Lucifer!” screamed a colonel as he and his battalion stormed into a hidden encampment, “You and your son Prince Blueblood are under arrest for your crimes against Equestria!”

“FOALSSSSSSSS!” Lucifer screamed as he shot a bolt of magic at the unit.

The blast knocked half a dozen guards into the air. The lucky ones landed in the brush. The not-so-lucky ones trajectories were obstructed by trees.

“Blueblood,” Lucifer screamed to his son, “Attack them!”

Blueblood shot a bolt of magic at the colonel, knocking him into his aids while Lucifer conjured a magical wind that knocked the guards to the ground. He then flung a second bolt of dark magic at a Pegasus who was charging at his father. The guard jumped onto Lucifer and tried desperately to immobilize him but Lucifer shot the guard up into the sky with a bolt of shimmering, dark magic. The guard corrected himself in the air and charged back at Lucifer. Blueblood shot him out of the way with a bolt of dark magic and the Pegasus slid across the forest floor.

“Retreat!” the colonel yelled as he observed his soldiers being thrashed.

The battalion ran off, many severely injured and most unconscious. The Pegasus guard lay in the dirt immobilized.

“Yessssssss,” Lucifer said, “Run. Tell Celesssssstia and Luna that Luccccccifer says hello.”

“We shall return,” the colonel yelled.

The battalion faded from sight.

“Let’sssssss move on,” Lucifer said to his son.

“Very well.”

Lucifer began to pack their saddlebags with their supplies.

Blueblood walked over to the Pegasus who lay in pain.

The Pegasus stared at Blueblood and braced himself for another blast of magic.

“I won’t hurt you,” Blueblood said.

“Yeah,” the guard said looking at his mangled wing that Blueblood had caused.

Blueblood filled up a leather pouch with water and gave it to the guard. He tilted the water pouch, allowing the water to flow down the Pegasus’s throat.

“Thanks,” the Pegasus said, drinking slowly, “But… if I may ask, why are you helping me?”

“I… I don’t know,” Blueblood said, slightly shocked by the Pegasus’s question, “You just… needed help.”

“But YOU are the one who hurt me.”

“I was only protecting my father.”

“How well do you actually know him?”

“Well enough.”

“So you actually know WHY he took you away from Canterlot, right?”

“Yes, I do,” Blueblood said, growing angry, “My aunts betrayed us.”

“You don’t know,” said the guard, “But of course he wouldn’t tell you.”

“Look if you don’t want my help, I’ll leave.”

“NO,” said the guard, “I’m sorry. My name is Stormwing.”

“Blueblood.”

“I know.”

“BLUEBLOOD!” Lucifer yelled, “Who are you talking to?”

“Nopony at all, father,” Blueblood said, turning away from Stormwing.

“Ahhh, a sssssssurvivor. We can always use another servant. Blueblood, cast the sssssssspell upon him while I check for any others.”

Lucifer picked up their saddlebags and headed into some bushes behind them as Blueblood stared at his new-found friend.

Stormwing sighed.

“Go ahead.”

“No,” Blueblood said, “Listen, if you don’t try anything, I’ll nurse you back to health and then you can escape.”

“Deal.”

Blueblood helped Stormwing up and turned as his father came back.

“I checked to make sure we were not being followed. Is his will ssssssapped?”

“Yes father.”

“Good, let’sssss go.”

Lucifer, Blueblood and Stormwing walked away from the clearing.

***

“That’s what happened to Corporal Stormwing?” Celestia asked.

“Yes,” Blueblood said, “For the longest time, he was my only friend. I never cast a spell upon him and when he was healed I told him he could escape but he refused to leave me. We became fast friends. My father never discovered that he wasn’t under our spell. At night, when my father slept, we talked for hours. He introduced me to kindness and friendship. He had something that I wanted but I couldn’t figure it out.”

***

“And the traveling salespony said, “But I wanted all three!” Stormwing said.

Blueblood chuckled softly at his friend’s joke.

“How is it you know so many funny stories Stormwing?”

“My father loves to laugh and tell jokes. He used to tell my all the new jokes he had learned.”

“What is it about you?” Blueblood asked, staring at his friend, “Why are you so full of life?”

“I’ve lived a little differently than you,” Stormwing said, “But we aren't that different.”

“Why don’t you leave?” Blueblood asked, “This place, I mean. You could leave at any time. Why don’t you?”

“I’m not going to abandon you. You’re my best friend. I’m not going to leave you with your dad.”

“He’s my father. He won't hurt me.”

“How can you trust a murderer and a traitor so easily?”

“We’ll never agree on my father, will we?”

“I’ll never stop trying to help you see the light though.”

“Sssssson,” Lucifer said, appearing in front of Blueblood and Stormwing, “What is thissssss?”

“Father,” Blueblood said, shocked at his father awake, “I was just, uh… reinforcing the enchantment on him.”

Stormwing stared vacantly ahead.

“Your caution is exxxemplary, however we must travel far tomorrow. Go to ssleep.”

Lucifer turned and entered the cave where he had been sleeping.

Blueblood and Stormwing looked at each other and yawned.

"He's right," Blueblood said, standing up, "We've got a lot of ground to cover tomorrow."

Stormwing nodded his head and they walked into the cave.


Lucifer, Blueblood and Stormwing trudged along a mountain path. Stormwing was weighed down by loads of bags strapped to his side while Blueblood and Lucifer carried nothing. Blueblood and Stormwing slipped a short ways behind Lucifer so they could talk.

"Do you want some help?" Blueblood asked.

"No thank you 'master', I can handle it," Stormwing said bowing low in a mocking manner.

"Good to hear servant," Blueblood said, playing along.

They laughed softly so as not to be heard by Lucifer.

"So, where do you think we're heading?" Stormwing whispered.

"Father only knows," Blueblood answered.

"We sssshall cross here," Lucifer said, stopping.

Blueblood and Stormwing stared across a long, ragged rope bridge that swayed unevenly over a thousand-foot chasm.

Blueblood gulped.

"Don't tell me you're afraid of heights," Stormwing jibbed.

"You would be too if you didn't have wings," Blueblood said through clenched teeth.

"Well I'm as good as grounded anyway," Stormwing said, nodding towards the pile of saddlebags he carried on his back. They were strapped in such a manner that his wings were virtually useless.

"Come on scardy-pony," Stormwing said as he trotted onto the bridge, following Lucifer.

"Okay," Blueblood said, stepping gingerly on the the wobbly bridge, "just be careful."

"Careful isn't even in my vocabulary," Stormwing bragged.

Lucifer and Stormwing had crossed over the bridge when Blueblood noticed a frayed rope on the end of the bridge. It was almost worn clear through and because of Blueblood's uneasiness at crossing the bridge, he was only halfway across.

Foolishly, Blueblood broke into a mad run. The jarring action caused by his stride snapped the wire.

Blueblood felt the bridge give way and he prepared to plummet a thousand feet into the abyss.

All of a sudden, the rope pulled taut again. Blueblood looked up to see Stormwing with the rope in his teeth. His left hoof was wrapped tightly around the post which had secured the rope bridge to the mountainside.

"Et 'oin!" Stormwing shouted around the rope.

Blueblood walked quickly to the other side of the rope bridge and stepped back onto solid ground.

Stormwing let go of the rope and tried to get a grip on the post with both hooves, but supporting Blueblood's weight had dragged him to the edge of the cliff. The ground gave way beneath him and he grabbed at the ground trying to find a purchase.

"Blueblood, help me!" he cried.

As Stormwing lost his grip and began to fall, he was surrounded by a light blue glow. He looked up to see Blueblood straining to lift him up and back to safety.

"Thanks Blueblood," Stormwing said as he landed softly on the ground.

"Good," Lucifer said, "Let'sss move on."

"Father," Blueblood said, "Can you let us rest a moment?"

Lucifer stared up at the setting sun.

"Very well, we sssshall make camp and continue at ssssssunrise."


Blueblood and Lucifer sat around a makeshift rock table. Next to them stood a hypnotized Pegasus messenger from the front lines. Stormwing sat at the fire pit boiling water for tea.

"Our troops have secured Trottingham and Hoovesdale as well as Baltimare and they are advancing towards Manehattan," said the mesmerized messenger.

"Good," said Lucifer, "With the populusssss of Manehattan in our hoovessss we might as well have Canterlot."

"Yes," Blueblood said, "With those many troops I'm sure we can take Canterlot."

Lucifer shook his head.

"There isss no need for that. Once we have all the poniesssss in Manehattan, Celestia and Luna will surrender. They wouldn't rissssk their precioussss subjects lives. Ha, sssssimpeltons."

"Yes Father."

"Sssssend this messsssage to the leader of the troops," Lucifer said, handing a parchment to the messenger.

The Pegasus took to the air.

"I sshall retire for the evening," Lucifer said, standing.

He walked into his tent.

Blueblood turned to Stormwing who offered him a cup of tea. His hoof trembled as Blueblood took it.

"What's the matter my friend?" Blueblood asked.

"My family lives in Manehattan," Stormwing said, the color drained from his muzzle.

"Oh don't worry," Blueblood said, "It won't come to that."

"How do you know?" Stormwing asked, "Would you be that calm if it were your family?"

Blueblood looked at his hooves.

"Tell me about your family."

"Well," Stormwing said, his eyes staring into the distance as he envisioned his family, "I've told you about my father. He's always making ponies laugh, but he's also kind and loving. He's a shoe salespony in Manehattan. My mother is a teacher. She's super smart pony and she's also the most generous pony in the whole of Equestria. My little brother is the most musically talented in his class. Once, for Hearthwarming Eve, he asked for tickets for the Manehattan sympony. After leaving, he bought some sheet music and wrote down every note for every instrument for every piece that he'd heard. As for my little sister, she's just the cutest thing you'll ever meet. Whenever I used to come home on leave she'd charge at me and hug me for almost forever. She'd always make me a card too, saying, "Welcome home best big brother in the world!"

Stormwing looked over to see Blueblood staring at the ground with tears in his eyes.

"Hey," Stormwing said, placing a hoof on Blueblood's shoulder, "It's okay."

“You have to run away, Stormwing,” Blueblood said, looking up, “While father’s asleep.”

“Why?”

"To save your family from the coming armies. Take them to Canterlot. They'll be safe there."

"Blueblood, I've said before I wouldn't run away and I'm serious. You need somepony to be your friend."

"Your family needs you more than me. If you fly swiftly, you can pass the armies."

"I'll come back after they are safe in Canterlot," Stormwing said.

"No," Blueblood replied, "My father won't let you simply return after you run away."

“Then come with me Blueblood. Don’t you trust me that you’ll be safe?”

“I am safe. We have different allegiances my friend. We must remain loyal to our respective commanders. Go Stormwing, while you still can.”

Stormwing stared at Blueblood a moment, then, grabbed a saddlebag with some food and departed.

***

“He arrived safely in Canterlot with his family,” Celestia said, “He wouldn’t tell us what happened though.”

“Well,” Twilight asked, leaning forward, “What happened after that?”

“Well…” Blueblood continued.

***

“Father,” Blueblood said to his father as they walked through dense underbrush, “Why are we always running. Couldn’t we reason with Aunt Celestia and Aunt Luna?”

“You do not understand my sssssssson,” Lucifer said, turning around to look Blueblood in the face, “They will never lissssssssten to reasssssssssson. They are simpleminded and think the throne should be shared with the weak.”

“Very well,”

They resumed their walking.

***

“And you just believed him?!?!” Twilight said, dumbstruck, “Didn’t you know Celestia and Luna from when you lived in Canterlot.”

“I met them every so often,” Blueblood said, “But before my mother died, I stayed with her. After that, I moved in with my father.”

“So then you know who your mother was?” Twilight queried, “Celestia said nopony knows.”

“Including myself,” Blueblood said, “I always just called her mother and I don’t recall what she looked like. I was only about one year old when she died.”

“That must have been so hard for you,” Rarity said, putting a hoof on Blueblood’s shoulder, “To lose your mother like that.”

Blueblood nodded his head and continued with his story.