• Published 10th Aug 2015
  • 20,647 Views, 7,064 Comments

Wily's Wittle Wub - Tatsurou



Dr. Albert Wily wakes up one morning with an infant Vinyl Scratch clinging to his bald head. There goes the neighborhood.

  • ...
56
 7,064
 20,647

PreviousChapters Next
9: Secrets Under the Sea

Mega Man managed to reboot as Splash Woman lightly slapped him on either side of his face. He started to open his mouth to speak, but Splash Woman quickly put a gloved finger to his lips.

"Don't speak," she whispered insistently, her voice barely carrying through the water as far as Mega Man's ears, almost swallowed by the background sounds of the ocean. "I have a lot to tell you, and I don't know who might be listening. I can manipulate my voice and the water to make sure only you hear me, but if you speak up, your voice might carry. Just nod or shake your head in response to anything I tell you, alright?"

Mega Man managed to nod, but he felt he couldn't leave that completely alone. He rapidly blinked his eyes in a morse code pattern to respond, 'Like any other man you deal with like this? :P'

Splash Woman smirked. "Enough of that," she whispered. "I don't want my laughter to give away that you aren't as shut down as anyone watching might think." When Mega Man stayed silent and still, she continued to speak. "The errors causing everyone to go haywire aren't some random problem or programming error. I'm pretty sure someone actively sabotaged this mission. Then again, with what I've heard, it's not surprising that there are those out there who'd rather see Sky Lagoon's success come to a screeching halt. And I imagine a lot of political figures would rather the first off planet colony not belong entirely to any one nation, especially not one controlled by those who've tried to take over the world previously."

Mega Man nodded. He understood that perfectly. Those very reasons had been behind Vinyl's decision to publicize everything about the Mars Project to the entire planet, wanting transparency to be armor against slander or hostile action, and why she'd asked Mega Man - an outside agent - to investigate when things had started to go wrong.

"Well, I think whoever it is must be part of a large organization, or at least have a lot of backup," Splash Woman explained. "Someone was at the first rocket that carried each of us here, giving us a cookie 'as a snack' for the ride, ordering us to eat it before we got to Mars. Most of us did as we were instructed, since it was an order from a human...with two exceptions."

Mega Man started to speak up, but remembered the caution, and instead raised two fingers, then lifting a third finger in confusion.

"Galaxy Man and I were the exceptions," Splash Woman continued. "I remembered Vinyl's words about full autonomy, and that convinced me that these orders probably didn't come from her, since she wanted us to think for ourselves on the assignment. As such, I...voiced my appreciation for the snack as he handed it to me, and he stammered enough that I could classify the order as 'misunderstood' against my old programming. The other exception was Galaxy Man, who placed his cookie amongst his 'treasures' in an internal compartment, and promptly forgot about it as he became absorbed in his job." Splash Woman tilted her head at the third finger. "Who else wasn't acting oddly?"

Mega Man quickly flicked out the morse code sequence, 'Magma Man'.

Splash Woman grinned. "That actually confirms my suspicions." Reaching up to a rocky outcrop, she pulled down a waterlogged cookie in a plastic bag. the broken dough revealed two computer chips with the old Wily/Vinyl logo from the days when they were still trying to take over the world. "A control chip like what Wily used on the very first Robot Masters he stole, and a Freak Chip. Whoever it was wants to make it look like Vinyl or Wily is trying to secretly turn Mars into a base from which they can conquer Earth with impunity. There's even a Fortress that Concrete Man built all unawares, made to look like the ones the Wilys used. Skull and everything."

Mega Man nodded in understanding, but once more wiggled the third finger.

"Magma Man is based off Needle Man's design," Splash Woman explained. "Instead of a mouth and digestive tract, he just has a hole to drop in materials to be converted to energy and other materials for maintenance. Unlike Needle Man, though, Magma Man's leads into his stores of flame which are hot enough to melt the metals these chips are made of. The chips didn't survive long enough to install."

Nodding, Mega Man shaped his fingers to make a skull shadow puppet, even though there was no light to cast the shadow.

Splash Woman nodded, understanding the inquiry. "There's a tunnel under here I've been digging," she explains. "It'll lead you straight to the Fortress, and since it's not on any official plans, no one will have any way of knowing you're taking it. This should let you get to the Fortress before whoever's there is able to escape." Swimming over, she shifted a hollow rock aside, revealing the tunnel in question. "It's a bit long, but you should be fine."

Swimming over, Mega Man gave her a thumbs up of thanks, then held his hands out in a giving motion.

Splash Woman waved it off. "I signed onto this job to work for Vinyl," she explained. "As far as I'm concerned, that's just what I'm doing." She paused as she noticed Mega Man was still waiting. "Well...if you really want to repay me...there is one thing you could do for me..." Once more, she sauntered up close, almost close enough to press against Mega Man's body.

Mega Man swallowed nervously, uncertain what to do here, especially since he wasn't sure he could get "I have a girlfriend" out in morse swift enough to make a difference.

Leaning in close, Splash Woman whispered, "...is Forte single? And do you think you could put a good word in with him for me if he is?"

Mega Man blinked several times, then finally managed a thumbs up before desperately swimming down the tunnel, glad the water down there was even colder.

As he heard Splash Woman laughing behind him, he remembered that as a robot, cold water didn't help him with that the way it did for humans. It was going to be a long, hard swim...

PreviousChapters Next