• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 15,224 Views, 1,591 Comments

A Somber Tale: FIENDship is Magic - Maltrazz



Twilight learns of Sombra's past, and finds him alive but weakened. She decides to learn how to use his Dark Magic for Good, by taking him back to Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 1,591
 15,224

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28: Calculated Kindness

Sombra charged forward, spinning around at the last moment to deliver a vicious double kick with his hind legs. He did not even try to suppress the smirk that spread across his face at the satisfying impact.

"Gotta say," Applejack said as she approached, "never thought Ah'd see the day a king helped with buckin' apples. Let alone enjoy it."

Gathering up the apples that had missed the bucket, Sombra replied, "While I will always prefer to use magic to accomplish my long term goals and everyday tasks, and while it would no doubt finish this task in a fraction of the time, I will admit a certain level of satisfaction from accomplishing a task through sheer physicality. Besides, you requested that I refrain from using magic, so I will oblige."

"Just like that, huh?" Applejack asked. "And this has nothing to do with Twilight being gone?"

Sombra frowned, taking a moment to wipe the sweat from his brow. "I admit the manual labor has helped keep my mind off things. However, given what happened last time she faced some threat without me, I think I have a right to be concerned. I should really be with her now..."

"Dash really needs to stop betting against Rarity," the earth pony muttered, before speaking up. "Twilight's her own pony. She managed just fine before you came along. Ah'm sure she can handle some thief without much trouble."

"A thief from another reality who specifically targeted one of the Elements of Harmony," Sombra pointed out. "The Element of Magic, no less."

"And if you think Ah wouldn't rush to Twilight's side in a heartbeat to help her, your dead wrong," Applejack said. "And the rest of the girls are the same. You'll just have to do the same as the rest of us and trust that Twilight can handle herself."

"I suppose I have little choice at this point," the stallion said with a frown. "I just feel-"

Suddenly, the roll of thunder echoed through the orchard, interrupting their conversation. The pair turned to regard the approaching storm clouds. Frowning, Applejack said, "Looks like the weather team's ahead o' schedule today. We'd best hurry if we're gonna finish up before they arrive."

The rain was already coming down hard by the time they had finished and entered the Apple residence, dripping water with every step. Apple Bloom came up to them with a pair of towels. "Thanks for your hard work, Mr. Knight. Big Mac's gettin' better, so he should be back at work tomorrow."

"Just 'Sombra' is fine," he replied as he began to dry himself off. "Black Knight was... more of a title. Besides, as capable as your sister is, the size of your property necessitates her receiving outside assistance whilst your brother is ill."

"Well, it's a good thing you- What's happening to your cutie mark!?" Apple Bloom cried out in shock.

Sombra looked back to see the fake cutie mark on his flank badly smeared. "Well, I suppose I don't really need that anymore, anyway." Turning to the horrified filly, Sombra said, "That was merely a ruse to avoid questions. After all, it is rather unusual for a pony my age to have avoided the shackles of fate successfully."

"Ya mean, ya don't have yer cutie mark yet?" Apple Bloom said, suddenly horrified by the idea of becoming an adult without one.

"What was all that about 'shackles of fate'?" Applejack asked, more curious about his phrasing.

"That is quite simple," Sombra explained. "Cutie marks enhance a pony's special talent... However, they also hinder that pony from excelling in any other area. They are shackles, locking ponies into a single fate. Those lucky enough gain a broader talent, like magic or sports. But a pony who's talent is baking sweets or harvesting apples? They will likely spend their entire lives in that one pursuit, and never know how much of the world they are missing. I never had a cutie mark. I never excelled at anything on my own. Even my Dark Magic, for which I became infamous, I only attained due to my mother using her own power to awaken it. However, I have also been free to learn whatever I wish. I have grown strong; physically, mentally, and magically. I have no cutie mark... and yet I know I am better than any pony who has one."

"And what's so wrong with farming apples?" Applejack asked defensively.

"Nothing. After all, how would the nobles in Canterlot maintain their posh lifestyles without peasants to do the difficult jobs for them?" Sombra asked pointedly. Not giving her time to respond, he went on, "You saw me at work today. Would you expect such strength from a unicorn stallion, or an earth pony stallion? If I had a cutie mark representing Dark Magic, it is unlikely I would be able to maintain my physical strength at such a level, despite the new heights my magic would no doubt reach."

Applejack opened and closed her mouth a few times, not sure how to refute him. Fortunately, her sister saved her from having to come up with a response.

"If ya've learned so much, maybe ya could teach mah friends and I a few things!" Apple Bloom said eagerly.

"What do you mean?" Sombra asked.

"We're trying to find our special talents but we're starting ta run out of ideas of things to try," the filly replied.

Sombra opened his mouth to reiterate his point, before realizing the futility of arguing philosophy with a foal. Sighing, he said, "I suppose I could teach you a few things that you are unlikely to find an instructor for in such a quaint town as this."

"If you think Ah'm gonna let you teach my sister Dark Magic..." Applejack protested.

"Of course not," Sombra said, dismissing her concerns with a wave of one hoof. "The likelihood of an earth pony having enough magical energy to manifest even the most basic spell successfully is rather slim. However, I am well versed in fencing, jousting, archery, and many other disciplines that few in Ponyville have heard of, let alone practice."

"OH! Applejack, what if I have a talent for fightin'?" Apple Bloom said excitedly. "Maybe I could become Captain o' the Royal Guard some day!"

As the older mare tried to temper her sister's excitement, Sombra slipped out. As he headed back to the library, his expression fell, concern for another mare coloring his thoughts.


The sound of pieces of wood clacking together echoed throughout the field, before culminating in three solid thuds of of wood impacting flesh.

Sombra lowered the training sword he held with his magic, examining the trio of fallen fillies surrounding him. "Not a bad start. As misguided as they are, your attempts at attaining cutie marks have clearly left you all quite fit for your age. That said..."

He turned to the unicorn first, "Sweetie Belle, you need to work on your magic. A unicorn's magic is their greatest weapon, even when only using it to wield a more literal one. With it, you can achieve greater range and a wider angle of strikes than swinging a sword with your mouth. If you do use your mouth to wield the weapon, keep an eye open for other opportunities to use your magic in order to distract your opponent or catch them off-guard."

Next, he turned to the earth pony, "Apple Bloom, while you lack a unicorn's magic or a pegasus' wings, your kin have great strength. So will you... when you get older. For now, you must learn to compensate. Instead of trying to block attacks, angle your defense so that your foes' strikes are deflected to one side. Not only will this require less strength to accomplish, but it will leave all but the most skilled swordponies open to your counterattack, allowing you to use the strength you build up for offense, rather than tiring yourself on defense."

Finally he turned to the pegasus of the group, "Scootaloo, a pegasus' greatest asset is her wings-"

"I know," Scootaloo cut him off, looking shamefacedly back at her own underdeveloped pair. "But... I..."

"Have an advantage over the rest of your kind," Sombra said with a grin, causing her to look up in surprise. "If you lacked wings completely, it might rightfully be called a handicap, but you have the element of surprise on your side. Any being facing a pegasus will expect an aerial battle. By striking swiftly from the ground, you can catch most foes unprepared the first time you face them. What is more, while your wings may not be able to lift you off the ground, I have seen you using them to propel yourself before. Learn to apply that to combat. Even a slight burst of speed can give you an edge. A sudden change of direction can avoid an otherwise unblockable blow or give you an opening that was not there before."

Addressing them as a group, he went on, "That will be enough for today. Over-training will only result in unnecessary injury. Think on my words and what I have shown you today. If you are serious about learning what I have to teach, meet me here at the same time for another lesson. You are dismissed."

Sombra turned to leave, but paused as a tired voice called out from behind him.

"Thanks for takin' the time ta teach us, Mister Knight!" Apple Bloom said, before correcting herself, "Wait, Applejack said it was Mister Sombra, now, didn't she?"

"Yeah, that was awesome!" Scootaloo added. "I can't wait for tomorrow!"

"Me neither," Sweetie Belle agreed, rubbing a sore spot on her side. "I just hope Rarity lets me. She always hates it when I come home with bruises and scrapes."

"Sadly, such minor injuries are commonplace during combat training," Sombra commented. "If your sister takes issue, feel free to lay the blame at my hooves. I am quite used to being cast the villain, and I would hate to see you incurring the ire of a loved one simply due to your desire to learn." He grinned as he added, "That said, if you are allowed to return, perhaps I shall instruct you three in the basics of jousting tomorrow."

As the trio began to talk excitedly about the next day, Sombra began to head back towards town... only to stop next to a bush on the side of the path. Grinning, he asked, "Looking for something, or were you just enjoying the show?"

The bush twitched and let off a startled squeak, before Fluttershy slowly raised her head out. "I-I was, um... That is..." She trailed off, glancing toward where the three fillies were swinging their wooden swords at imaginary enemies.

"You were worried that I might hurt them, were you not?" Sombra asked, his expression more serious. Seeing her give a hesitant nod, he looked back toward the fillies and went on, "They are important to Twilight's friends, and the last thing I want is to make her upset."

Fluttershy frowned quietly for a moment before she said, "You make it sound like you only care about them because they're connected to Twilight."

Sombra's piercing gaze met her own, and Fluttershy ducked back into the bush, which began to quiver violently. The stallion sighed, saying, "Twilight is... unlike anypony I have every met. For as long as I can remember, I have only cared about myself, barring a single exception, and she is long dead."

"Hope?" Fluttershy asked, peaking out of the bush once more.

"Precisely. Everypony else was replaceable or an object to be removed," he went on. "However, since I met Twilight, things have been... different. Hope was the kindest pony you would ever meet, and there is no denying that she had powerful magic. I owe my life to those traits. However, she was never the best student and was easily distracted. She was my best friend, but she never understood my interest in books or my desire to be the best in our class."

"But Twilight does," the pegasus stated, not making it a question.

"Indeed. That is why I am willing to put on a smile and act 'nice' towards others," Sombra explained. "I could not care less what they think of me, but I know full well that my actions reflect upon her now, and I will do what I can to preserve her pride."

"Twilight isn't prideful," Fluttershy protested, in defense of her friend.

Sombra flashed his usual grin, "She may not revel in it as openly as me, but-"

The conversation was cut short by a sharp cracking sound and a cry of pain. Turning, the two adult ponies turned to see Scootaloo clutching one of her wings in pain and they rushed over.

"I didn't mean to hit her!" Sweetie Belle told them, sounding terrified. "I lost control of my magic for a moment, and the sword went the wrong way!"

"We need to get her to the hospital," Fluttershy said.

Sombra, however, didn't waste any time on words. His eyes flashed with Dark Magic, tendrils of shadow pushing the others firmly aside as he crouched over the fallen filly. probing the wing gently with his magic, he frowned as the young pegasus cried out. "It is fractured," He declared. Grabbing one of the wooden swords with his magic, he held it in front of Scootaloo's face and ordered, "Bite down."

"What are you doing!?" Fluttershy demanded, concern for the filly momentarily overriding her fear of the former tyrant.

"Dark Magic can repair one's own body quite easily. However, I have yet to perfect a spell for using it to fix the injuries of others, so healing another pony is much more of a challenge for me," Sombra explained. To Scootaloo, he said, "I need to set your wing before I can mend the damage. Now, bite down on the wood so that you do not bite your tongue." Once she had done so, he went on. "I will set it on 'three'. One... Two!" The others winced as he realigned the bones with a snap.

Scootaloo cried out in pain, but Sombra was already continuing. His Dark Magic faded, and his expression tightened in concentration, a dark green glow surrounding his horn and the filly's wing. After a few moments, Scootaloo relaxed, the pain gone, and Sombra slumped back as the glow faded.

Scowling, Sombra muttered, "I am really out of practice with that."

Stirring Scootaloo asked, "What happened?"

"I'm so sorry, Scootaloo, it's all my fault! I lost control and your wing got frictioned," Sweetie Belle admitted.

"He said, 'fractured'," Apple Bloom corrected her. "But it's okay now, Mister Sombra healed you!"

"Really?" Scootaloo said, flexing her wing experimentally.

Stepping up beside Sombra, Fluttershy asked, "How did you do that? That didn't look like your magic usually does."

"That is because I usually use Dark Magic. That was Unicorn Magic," Sombra grinned as he caught his breath. "It does not come as naturally to me as Dark Magic does, but I am still capable of it. Hope's special talent was for Healing. After we were... separated, I decided that one day I would surpass her ability, as I had the abilities of others, through study and training. Sadly, a thousand years in ice does not present many opportunities to practice such a skill."

Turning to the three fillies, he said, "From now on, no using your training swords without supervision, understood?"

"Yes, sir," the trio said in unison.

Fluttershy smiled. "I think you might be nicer than you want to admit."

"Do not be preposterous," Sombra replied. "Now, if you will excuse me, Twilight should be returning soon, and I wish to meet her at the station."


Princess Luna awoke with a gasp. "No... So soon? I thought I had more time."

Summoning a guard, she ordered, "Inform my sister that I would speak with her at her earliest convenience."

"Yes, Your Highness!" The guard said, saluting and heading off.

Heading to the desk in her room, the princess began writing quickly.

'Cadance,

'Please come to Canterlot as swiftly as you can. I fear something terrible will occur soon, and there is something we must address before it does...'

Author's Note:

And there we go! Mostly just and excuse to show Sombra with the CMC and Fluttershy, but it does set up more than you may suspect for the future.

How did Twilight fare against the 'mysterious' thief? Will Sombra finally have a chance to live in peace, or does a new threat loom on the horizon? Find out in future chapters of A Somber Tale!

PreviousChapters Next