• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 15,224 Views, 1,591 Comments

A Somber Tale: FIENDship is Magic - Maltrazz



Twilight learns of Sombra's past, and finds him alive but weakened. She decides to learn how to use his Dark Magic for Good, by taking him back to Ponyville.

  • ...
22
 1,591
 15,224

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 25: Stalwart Loyalty

"Where in the hay have those three gotten to?" Rainbow Dash wondered aloud as she flew through the skies over Canterlot. Spotting a trio of figures coming down the road towards the city, she swooped towards them, grinning as she recognized the ponies she was looking for. "Black Knight! AJ! Twilight! We've been looking all over for you guys! Where have you all-" she started to call out, only to pull up short when she noticed the way Twilight was practically being carried by the stallion of the group, as well as the magical sparks that sporadically flew from her horn. "Okay, what the heck happened? Is Twilight alright?"

"She will be fine if we can get her to the portal in time," Sombra said. "Fly ahead and have the guards open the gate. We do not have a moment to lose."

"Got it!" The pegasus replied, shooting back towards the city.

The next few minutes were a flurry of activity and anxiety, the king and his guards meeting them at the gates and escorting them through the city while Twilight's friends hurried along with them. Everypony had questions, but Twilight's condition forestalled them from being asked.

When they reached the statue that contained that world's side of the portal, Sombra gently helped Twilight lay on the ground, whispering, "Just a few moments more. I know you can hold on long enough, Twilight."

The young mare just nodded tiredly, her horn sparking again as she grit her teeth with strain. Now that she was holding still, those around could also see the way her shadow writhed unnaturally.

Turning away from her, 'Black Knight's' eyes began to glow with Dark Magic as he faced the portal. A moment later, his power shot out, forming a layer of crystal over its surface. As he kept up the spell, fine details began to manifest, covering the surface of the crystal in complex geometric patterns. When his magic faded, what looked like an intricately carved lens covered the portal.

Breathing heavily, the stallion turned towards Twilight. "The preparation is finished. Simply direct your magic into the focus and the crystalline matrix will do the rest."

"Now hold on just an apple-bucking minute," Applejack interjected. "What in Celestia's name is that thing? How do we know it's gonna fix whatever's wrong with her?"

"It's... It's fine, Applejack," Twilight said as she stood shakily. "We don't have time to... to...

"No, she is right to question me, given the circumstances, but for your sake, I shall endeavor to be brief," Sombra replied. Turning to the Earth Pony, he explained. "That is a focusing matrix. Essentially, a Dark Magic spell given physical form, awaiting the raw magical power necessary to complete itself. Just as Starswirl the Bearded spent decades creating the method by which Unicorn Magic could be expressed as algebraic equations, I spent centuries perfecting the system of geometric patterns that could properly convey the power of Dark Magic. This particular spell will stabilize the imbalance between this dimension and our own using the overload of magical power contained within Twilight to power it. Needless to say, we do not have the time for me to teach Twilight such a delicate spell as that needed to prevent the collapse of a dimensional barrier, hence the matrix. Is that clear enough?"

"Uh... sure," Applejack said, making a mental note to have Twilight translate it into something understandable later.

Stepping up to the portal before anypony else could interrupt, Twilight pointed her horn at the crystal and released the magic that was already trying to spill out of her.

Her eyes glowed pure white as a massive blast of magic shot forth, raw magic seeming to spread out from her body like wings for a moment only to join the rest in being absorbed by the crystal and redirected to the portal, which began to glow brightly. After a few seconds, which seemed to last far longer to Twilight, her magic tapered off and the crystal shattered. A moment later, the portal pulsed and a ripple spread outward, a strange sense of relaxation washing over everypony present, as if reality itself had heaved a sigh of relief.

And then Twilight collapsed.

Catching her as she fell, Sombra brushed her mane away from her face with an expression of fierce pride. Glancing to her friends, he said, "Don't worry, she just needs some rest. Miss Applejack, would you mind finding her some place to sleep? As soon as she awakens, I'm sure Twilight would be willing to have us explain everything."

"And what'll you be doing in the meantime?" Applejack asked, lifting Twilight onto her back.

"Twilight will likely awaken soon. So, in the meantime, I shall inform our host of what transpired with the Two Sisters of this world, so that Celestia might be collected before her sister can return," Sombra said, gesturing to the king that was politely waiting for just such an explanation.

"Fair enough," Applejack replied. Glancing towards the king, she asked, "Got a spare room Twilight can lie down in?"

Nodding, he turned to a guard and said, "Please show these young ladies to the guest quarters while I debrief their knight."


The first thing Twilight became aware of upon regaining consciousness was a throbbing in her horn. However, rather than painful, it was almost pleasant, like the feeling in a muscle after vigorous exercise.

Opening her eyes, Twilight saw her friends clustered around her, looks of relief coming from them as she sat up in the bed she had been placed on. "What... What happened? Did the spell work?" She asked.

"It seems to have," Rarity said. "Although we haven't exactly had time to check, as of yet."

"We were all more worried about you," Fluttershy added.

"Yeah! Even if it did look really, really cool," Pinkie Pie spoke up. "So cool 5,000 words couldn't do it justice, and that's worth, like, five pictures!"

"Personally, I'd like to know what in the hay happened! Where'd you three go?" Rainbow Dash asked, "Black Knight said something about Evil Celestia, didn't he?"

"Well... he and I went to face Celestia and Luna ourselves and Applejack, uh, caught up with us," Twilight explained.

"But what about the rest of us?" Spike asked, lifting up the bag he had with him. "I even carried the Elements here and everything!"

"Sorry, Spike, but the whole reason I started learning Dark Magic was so that I wouldn't have to put my friends in danger," Twilight said.

"You keep saying that, dear, but we're proud to fight by your side," Rarity said. "Besides, we know you'd never put us in any more danger than was absolutely necessary."

Hearing that, Applejack cleared her throat loudly and gave a very pointed look to Twilight.

Swallowing nervously, Twilight said, "Actually... I kind of have a confession to make. You girls know Black Knight...?"

"You mean the tall, dark, and handsome stallion that has sworn to obey your every whim?" Rarity said with a grin.

"Oh, don't tell me you two have shacked-up already!" Rainbow dash complained. "I owe Rarity enough bits as it is!"

"WHAT!? NO!" Twilight protested, her face flushed in embarrassment, as Applejack just slapped a hoof to her face in exasperation. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she just came out and said it. "Black Knight is actually King Sombra."

Stunned silence filled the room.

...Until Pinkie Pie suddenly said, "Well, duh. If it looks like Sombra, sounds like Sombra, and casts Dark Magic like Sombra, then it's obviously Sombra. Geez, I know you're smart, Twilight, but seriously, just how slow do you think we are?"

"Oh, yeah, I totally knew a super powerful evil stallion was staying in Ponyville, and didn't say anything," Rainbow Dash replied, her voice positively dripping sarcasm.

As if on cue, the door opened and the stallion in question entered the room. Seeing Twilight awake, he grinned and said, "Ah, I see that you have already regained consciousness. The king has sent his guards to collect Celestia, so we can begin preparing to deal with her sister as soon as we address..." He trailed off as he noticed how the others were looking at him. "...And it appears you have already told them. Excellent! That makes this far less awkward for me."

"That makes one of us..." Twilight muttered in annoyance, before saying to him, "I only just told them your real name. They probably want to hear everything else that led to this, too."

"Ah. Fair enough," Sombra said. "Now, where to begin..."

"How about with how in Equestria you're alive?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"When the Crystal Heart started to destroy my body, I sealed my consciousness within my own horn and reinforced it to withstand the blast," Sombra explained. "As for the new body, you can thank your friend Discord for that."

"I think it might be better if we start at the beginning," Twilight said. "It all started when Cadance called me to open the passage to Sombra's study..."


"...and that's how I met your mother," Sombra said to Twilight, as he finished recounting his meeting with Twilight Velvet. Just as he was about to continue recounting his time away from them at Canterlot, the other Sombra entered the room.

"Do you mind if I interrupt for a moment?" The king asked. Seeing no objection, he continued. "We have recovered Celestia and secured her in the dungeon. We've also confirmed the success of the spell in stabilizing the balance between our worlds. However, I have received word from the northern border that Empress Cadance and her army of zealots have begun to march towards Canterlot, and that Luna has been sighted with them. You've already done more than I ever dared to hope, and I've already recalled the Guardians of Harmony just in case, but I would be honored if you all would aid this world once more."

"The 'Guardians of Harmony'?" Sombra repeated skeptically.

The king shrugged and said, "Well, focus testing said the name would be more popular than 'powerful misfits who fight evil'. Along with myself, they are the beings that dedicate themselves to protecting Equestria. They should all have returned to Canterlot by tomorrow morning, while we expect Empress Cadance's army to arrive at nightfall thereafter. So, can we count on your aid?"

"I think that depends on one thing," Rainbow Dash said. Shooting into the air, she hovered in front of Sombra, glaring down at him. "What do you plan to do in Ponyville?"

Sombra put on a thoughtful expression as he replied, "Well, probably some light reading, teaching Twilight some new spells, and- oh, did you mean before or after finalizing my plans to take over the world?"

"You're not helping," Twilight said shortly.

"Either they believe I plan to continue serving as your knight or they believe I plan to conquer Equestria. What I say now has little bearing on that," he replied with a shrug.

Rolling her eyes, the pegasus turned to Twilight and asked, "Do you honestly trust him, Twilight?"

Nodding her head, Twilight said, "He might be a sarcastic, egotistical, self-centered jerk at times..."

"Flattery will get you everywhere," Sombra interrupted with a grin.

"...but I do believe he's trying to behave himself, at least," Twilight finished, ignoring him for the moment.

"Well..." Rainbow Dash turned back to Sombra and grinned, "That's good enough for me! Just don't expect us to start calling you 'king'."

Shaking her head but grinning at her friend's straightforward manner, Twilight turned back to the other version of Sombra, saying, "Don't worry, your majesty, the eight of us will see this through to the end."

"I'm glad to hear it," he replied. "Although... where is the other one, if you don't mind me asking?"

Blinking in surprise, Twilight looked around, noticing that at some point one of her friends had disappeared. Then, she noticed the tip of a light pink tail sticking out from under her bed and trembling violently. Sweatdropping, she turned back to the king and said, "Well, the seven of us will definitely be there. Fluttershy might... need some time."

Author's Note:

There we go! Sombra's secret is out, at least to Twilight's closest friends, but the Reflections arc isn't done yet. However, next chapter will bring it to a close with a Double Length Chapter!

Why, you ask? You didn't ask? I'll tell you anyway! It is to celebrate this story hitting 500 likes! Look forward to it!

Will the others accept Sombra as readily as Rainbow Dash? How will the group fair against an evil version of Cadance at the head of an army? Find out in future chapters of A Somber Tale!

PreviousChapters Next