• Published 20th Jul 2015
  • 226 Views, 3 Comments

Days Asleep - daidoro



The two God-Princes who rule Equestria are somewhat.... Eccentric.

  • ...
 3
 226

Sidereal


I screamed, but whatever words I had were lost in the maelstorm.

Torn by shrieking winds and sizzling, uncontrollable streaks of magic, the very sky was roaring around us. In addition to the scores of cuts across my hide, my snout was bleeding from the immense air pressure. Everything tasted of blood and electricity, and the air's supersaturation of magic was enough to make my head spin, my horn in agony.

"You never cared!" The monster screamed, voice half-familiar beneath layers of enchantment and bloodthirst.

"Always the beloved one! Always the perfect one! Why WOULD you care?!"

Each accusation was punctuated by a whiplash of onyx magic, which met my own with the force of a meteor strike. I tumbled repeatedly, wings straining with the effort to stabilize my flight and keep me aloft as we circled in the tumultuous sky.

"How could you ever think that?!" I screamed, throat raw and bloody. My words were cut short by a seething bolt of black lightning, forcing me to fold one wing and roll over myself in mid-air. Sinister tendrils of inky smoke hung disturbingly in the air behind the spell as it dissipated. More soon followed, ancient and devastating magic that left me gasping and twisting in the air to recover quickly enough.

"Where is your power now?" The Nightmare hissed, voice nearly unintelligible from hate. "Where is the mighty Caleum Igna?"

How? I destroyed those records! I thought, my shocked expression bringing a cruel smile to the Nightmare's twisted visage.

Stinging slashes of rain cut across my face now, accompanied by blinding strikes of lightning we both dove to avoid. Dimly, I could make out the Nightmare's shape through the storm, maleficent patterns of spellfire accumulating in a distinctive pattern.

Nightfire, I realized with horror.

Fueled by desperation, I tilted my own horn toward the blackened heavens and began to weave my own, all-too-familiar spell. Abruptly, the clouds were shorn apart in a rough circle, boiled away instantaneously by a massive column of focused sunlight that enveloped us both.

"Don't do this!" I half-screamed, half pleaded the words at the unrecognizable pony before me. I nearly choked, hacking several bloody coughs from tearing vocal chords.

Only an alien laughter from the Nightmare answered me, twisting upward on the wind. As it raised its horn, the Nightfire eagerly tearing free of its magical restraints, I brought the full power of the Sun to bear against it. Caelum Igna tore a hole in the sky, and my world turned to fire-


I woke with a final gasping shout. My body was burning, at odds with the cold sweat that covered my coat. Breathless and briefly disoriented, it took several moments for me to realize where I was. The open balcony bathed my bedchamber in a gentle silver light, and I was viciously entangled in my own bedsheets.

Nearly three hours 'til dawn, I mused. Whispers of cosmic time washed over me unceasingly, like the invisible solar wind that stirred my mane and coat, even now. How my brother could ever forget the time was beyond me.

Umbra, my brother. The Prince of Night, not the Nightmare.

A frustrated groan escaped me as I kicked the silk sheets free and walked out onto the balcony. With my eyes closed and the night's chill wind encircling the tips of Canterlot's spires, I could almost make myself believe I was under water. Tonight though, I simply sat on the smooth marble and watched the stars, impossibly high above.

I shouldn't be having these dreams. It's over and done with.

In the far distance, only a soft homely glow emanating from behind the surrounding hills betrayed the presence of Ponyville. There were always some lights kept on in that town, partially due to its nervous proximity to the Everfree. A rather excessively studious purple unicorn was also partly to blame, of course.

Stars, I'm fuckin' somber tonight, I thought, with a wry grin. Maybe I need to prank somepony.

That line of thinking quickly led me to the Gala, and the days of preparation that lay ahead. Delegating the planning of the event to a special committee was one thing, but getting Discord involved was something entirely different.

Yet another thing I have Twilight to thank for. The draconequus adored her friend Fluttershy, and usually spent his time with her in Ponyville. Before she'd been around to curb his overly mischievous nature, Discord would terrorize the inhabitants of Canterlot nearly full-time. While my brother and I had always found it hilarious, there were some days we seriously considered encasing the god of Chaos in stone.

I shook my head abruptly, mane billowing unhelpfully.

Anyway, two and half hours until dawn... and countless unaware ponies to prank.


"....Trade of which is sanctioned by our annexing of the Crystal Empire, leaving no alternative for an official audit. I'm afraid without the subsidy, our commerce is simply not sustainable, your Highness. In plain terms, your law leaves us no choice in the matter."

Satisfied, the noble sat back on his haunches. Few ponies would allow themselves such a breach of decorum, but the upper echelons of Canterlot's nobility had grown more bold in recent years. Perhaps it had something to do with my current posture. Or lack thereof.

"I understand," I said, adopting my Generic Princely Visage before tuning out the proceedings once more. As the noble began another diatribe about the horrors of Equestrian tax law, my attention turned to the many sheets of parchment spread on the dias before me. Just beneath the curved wooden surface, several sharp-angled shelves bore additional scrolls. I casually drew one forth, withdrawing a rolled missive from its unremarkable home. Shuffling it amongst the official papers on the dias, I began to read, keeping my expression professional and occasionally glancing around the room appraisingly to keep up appearances.

Dear Prince Brolaris of the Brolar Magnate,

Crystal greetings and all that. I've been meaning to pay you a visit, but plans on this end are going to be on hold for a while- until well after your Gala, I'm afraid. Please convey my official apology to Shining, I know he was hoping for me to make it this year. I'd write him myself but truth be told, I'm still a bit apprehensive about contacting him personally.

Now, what's this I hear about you hiring a PA? I seem to recall you insisting you didn't want anypony 'micromanaging your personal life?' It's not like you at all- this must be some unicorn!

My best regards to you and Umbro,

Cadence

I sighed, magicking the scroll to the side with an unusual tingle of melancholy. Unsurprisingly, the gestures went unnoticed by the court, although a scribe sitting off to the side spared a glance in my direction.

Unlike me, huh? I wondered. I suppose... A handful of years ago, a PA was the most unpalatable concept. How is it that I've become so... amenable to the idea?

"-tributions to the kingdom's internal revenue," finished the noble proudly. Several of his fellows donated a scattering of uniform applause, hooves tapping against the marble floor. Scribes' quills wicked across parchment as he found a seat and a different speaker took his place.

I'm sure Cinnabar will become just as indispensable as Patience, I thought. But what does it say about me that I can't tell when I'm acting out of character?

As the court proceedings ground on, requiring only the barest minimum of my attentions, I finished several reams of paperwork and penned a reply to Cadence.

Dear Empresister Miamore di Cadensis,

Good dawning to you, or whatever. Don't fret too much over the schedule- not like we don't write every other day, after all. I'll make some excuse to Shining, but I know he'd rather hear from you directly. Princess of love as you are, I hope the irony of your behavior hasn't escaped you! If you're looking for the way in to that stallion's heart, (not that you fuckin' need it, sister) I believe you met her a long time ago.

I hardly realized my new PA was the stuff of international news. Can't find anything better to do in that kaleidoscope you call a kingdom? I've been doing nothing but listening to financial drivel on this end- I can probs count on my hooves the last time these nobles got something done. Shit feels like somepony took sandpaper to my brain.

Best wishes,
Solaris

"-Which concludes today's morning session," finished the clerk smartly.

"Thank you, Detail." I directed a relieved glance at the brown pony, who bowed happily and stood with the rest of the Court as I rose, stretching. "Session adjourned. Please enjoy your day, everypony."

The nobles and staff began to file out of the chamber as I left, flanked by a pair of guards through a recessed side door. Almost before the mahogany had shut behind me Patience and Cinnabar were at my side, the former looking as stern as ever while the latter eyed my guards nervously. I spared Cinnabar a grin as Patience began rattling down her agenda.

"Court ran rather late, so you'll have a half-hour before lunch and an hour past that before the afternoon session begins. You'll probably want to review the minutes of the Gala committee's last meeting before then; I understand there are some matters they were unable to reconcile. Also, I have correspondence from the School as well as your brother, who expresses his condolences for his absence at your breakfast and says, quote, 'There's no way in Tartarus I'll be at dinner either.'" She looked up disapprovingly at the last statement, making it clear what she thought of the Prince's truancy. I shrugged and kept walking, keeping my pace measured so the four smaller ponies attending me could keep up.

"He's totally bailing so he doesn't have to help with the Gala," I sighed. "Is there anything else requiring my immediate attention?"

"I have a rather vaguely-worded message from Captain Spitfire of the Wonderbolts, requesting an audience at your convenience." Patience raised an eyebrow, shuffling at some papers.

With another sigh, I tilted my head, and Patience obediently transferred the opened letter to the golden aura of my own magic. I tucked it under one wing and stopped- we'd reached the second branch foyer of the Gardens.

"My thanks, gentlemen," I said to the guards. "Cinnabar, please inform the kitchen I'll be taking lunch in the gazebo. Patience, if you could bring him back when you're through doing... Uhh. Whatever tedious and official shit you're gonna do?"

The older unicorn glared at me before nodding curtly, motioning to her rust-colored companion. They left me alone with the guards, who saluted and took up positions at the Garden's entrance as I continued along the gravel path.


"Is the Prince always so...." Cinnabar trailed off uncertainly as he trotted alongside Patience.

"Drained? Court has that effect on him, yes," she finished dryly. "Particularly during this time of year. The Gala is a singular event, and the committee is still a new addition to the ordeal. Truthfully, it will be a good few years before the system is streamlined."

That gave the unicorn some thought, slowing slightly to trail behind the royal seneschal.

"The Princes are, like.... really old, right?" At his companion's raised eyebrow, he hurried to amend his question. "I mean, I knew that! It's just- I don't know, weird to think about. They've probably been to hundreds of Galas before."

"And they will still be at Galas, hundreds of years after you and I are gone," Patience agreed. "Such is the way of things. It can take some time to adjust to palace life, Cinnabar." The unicorn stopped suddenly, just before they'd arrived at the kitchen doors. She turned to the younger pony seriously, laying a hoof on his shoulder. Cinnabar almost took a step backward, caught off guard by the uncharacteristic display of familiarity from the businesslike seneschal.

"If you'd like my personal advice," Patience said slowly, "Do your best to see the Prince as just a normal pony. I know it's difficult, especially because you'll be expected to interact with him in a professional environment.... but I don't think he would have hired you simply because of a recommendation."

The planet closest to the Sun. Unbidden, the words from the book echoed in Cinnabar's head. He nodded, understanding.

"You think he needs a friend?" He asked quietly, looking to both sides of the corridor instinctively. Patience snorted, flicking her tail derisively.

"I think he needs somepony who's job isn't to nag at him every second of the day."

Cinnabar flushed ruefully at Patience's knowing smile, relaxing slightly when she withdrew. She nodded, indicating the kitchen doors.

"Alright, go on. You'll be talking with the kitchen a lot from now on, so better get used to it."

"Will do," the young stallion chuckled. He paused before the doors, looking back. "And, uh, thanks."

Patience waved a hoof for him to go in, already flipping through her clipboard. Cinnabar pushed through the doors.


"Sup, there you are," I said, looking up from my papers with a grin as Cinnabar padded up to the gazebo. "Did Patience give you a hard time? I know she can come on a little strong, at first."

"Actually, she was rather helpful." Cinnabar smiled brightly before taking a seat at the low table. It was spread with documents, the Wonderbolts' letter and my own half-written reply among them. "Uhh.... what did you want me for, anyway?"

I shrugged, continuing my writing with a slight frown. "It's cool having somepony to talk to during lunch. And I'd be bored out of my skull with these, otherwise." I indicated the papers with a nod, not looking away.

"Oh, right." Cinnabar said. "Is it cool if I asked you a, hmm. Personal question?"

I glanced up briefly, concentration breaking at the hesitation in his voice.

"Word, go for it," I said curiously.

"It's just the first time I've noticed," the unicorn said, somewhat embarrassed. "I was wondering.... uh. What happened to your horn?"


"You thought that would kill me?" The Nightmare shrieked, spraying blackened, oily blood across the devastated throne room. Flames, colored both of ink and gold, poured from the gaping ceiling as the Caelum Igna and Nightfire rained down. Crumbling sections of the castle's proud architecture crashed down around us, backlit by the flames and occasional flashes of uncontrolled lightning.

"No, not kill you. My fucking brother's in there somewhere!" I hissed back, trying to fight to my hooves. The impact had splintered my shields, and one of my forelegs was broken. I couldn't spare the magic to repair it, not when taking my eyes off the Nightmare would mean death.

But the monster just laughed, lowering its horn. Torrents of glittering onyx magic lit the chamber, literally overshadowing the light from the fires. My own flames seemed to quell, finally guttering out under the Nightmare's malignant aura. I knew now, with utter certainty, that my hold on the Sun wasn't enough to keep the Moon from the sky any longer. Without it, the strength I had left was only my own.

I need.... to stop it from casting, I thought desperately, struggling to concentrate behind the pain of my injuries. The room was spinning, the Nightmare's form wavering under the threat of unconsciousness. Its features blended together like a watercolor, providing the creature's visage with a shroud of hazy, half-imagined details.

"Spells like Caelum Igna were declared forbidden millennia ago," the horror before me hissed. "And even that was a pathetic failure. I will give you one chance to bow, before I end you."

For a moment, there was only the roar of the storm outside and our own labored breaths.

"We- We didn't build this throne room," I panted, dragging out my words between painful gasps. At least a rib broken too, then. "It was... It was already here. A tribute... to something above the Sun and Moon. Above- Above magic."

I coughed, and the Nightmare seemed to relish the sound, stepping closer and continuing to drain the magic from the room triumphantly.

That's close enough, I thought.

"It's called Harmony, bitch," I croaked, and leapt.

My wings and hindlegs, reinforced by the last of my magical reserves, sent an supernova of pain through my body at the explosive movement, but it was overcome by the crack as I slammed my horn into the Nightmare's. The blow carried enough force to shatter stone, bolstered by years of fencing practice and the weight of desperation.

A shockwave of white-hot magical backfire sent us both flying backward, the chamber itself fragmenting. The world went mercifully black after that, lost to unconsciousness for an indeterminate amount of time.

When I awoke, agony creeping slowly over my body, I noticed I'd come to rest in a sitting position. My body was crooked, bent at a number of awkward angles, and propped up against a surface exceedingly rough and hard.

I looked up slowly, blinking through trickles of blood and dust. The chamber's strange centerpiece had mostly survived the explosion, and from within the shattered stone orbs shone a strange light....

"Pathetic, to see the Sun crawl at one's feet..." A terrible, half-familiar voice rasped.


"Uh, sorry," Cinnabar said instantly, withdrawing. "I knew that was rude to ask."

I knew I must have winced visibly to cause him to shrink back like that, and hurried to correct him.

I need to do better, I thought, shaken.

"No, it's fine. I was just.... surprised, is all. It- It's an old fencing scar. That used to be quite popular back in the day." I set my quill back down, pretending to inspect the letter.

"Oh, right. Uh, sorry. It looks like it must have been terrible," the unicorn said awkwardly. "N-Not that it looks terrible! Your horn is fine! I mean, not that it's just fine or anything, it's really regal, there's just nothing wrong with it! There-"

I cut off my assistant's attempts to shove his hoof further into his mouth with a laugh.

"Haha, I understand completely. Your inspection of my horn aside-" I continued, giving the now-redder-than-normal unicorn my Amused Princely Smile, "I believe our lunch has arrived."

A brief, tightly-strung silence came over the Gardens, as the waitstaff encircled the table, depositing a variety of platters and trays upon it. I smiled gently at them, watching my flustered assistant out of the corner of my eye.

Cinnabar, eager for whatever distraction he could find, snagged a flagon of cider the instant one of the waiters placed it onto the low table. I waited until they'd gone, watching the young stallion drink deeply and timing my words perfectly.

"Besides," I said mischievously, picking up a sandwich with my own magic, "You should see the other guy."


Still Patience walked professionally up the gravel path toward the gazebo, clipboard help out in front of her.

I'm sure he's doing fine, she mused, thinking of Cinnabar's earlier nervousness at his new position. Really, all he needs to do is stop worrying so much about messing up. He's barely been given any responsibilities yet. There's nothing to mess up.

Reassured, the royal seneschal trotted up to the gazebo, just in time to see the young stallion spray a mouthful of cider in the Prince's face.


Author's Note:

Someone alert the plot police, I think I spotted some story in this chapter. Contain your shock. After all, it wouldn't be a good idea for every chapter to hype the Gala. Not that that's ever happened before. For a whole season.

I worked really hard to charge the flashbacks with the intensity of emotion I feel from them personally- it's a defining series of moments in the story that needed to be done justice. In the end, after great struggle, I'm fairly happy with the way the chapter turned out.

Thank you greatly for reading, as always. Please do leave your thoughts!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment