• Published 7th Jul 2015
  • 3,912 Views, 91 Comments

My Dearest Dusk - CrackedInkWell



Not long after Prince Dusk Shine and his number one assistant moved into their new home, Prince Solaris accidentally sent several letters in which he came to burn them before Dusk could read them. However, Spines was able to save a few.

  • ...
23
 91
 3,912

Chapter 8

“How many?” the ticket mare behind the glass asked, not looking up from the small pile of bits.

“Two tickets to Canterlot for the two o’clock train please.” The mare glanced up to find the Prince of Friendship wearing saddlebags with a purple and emerald dragon at his side.

“Hey Dusk,” she said in a bored tone, “do you want to travel first class or coach again?”

“Coach as always,” he answered.

“That’ll be twenty bits.” Through the small hole in the glass, twenty neatly piled coins encased in a violet light were laid before her. She gave the tickets over to the Prince and his assistant. “Safe trip, Your Highness,” she added as they walked to the waiting bench.

Spines looked up at the clock that hung on the wall. If the train was on schedule, it should be at the Ponyville station within ten minutes. They’d just recently had lunch before sending out a note to their friends explaining that the two of them would be in Canterlot for a few days because something “unexpected” came up.

She looked over to Dusk who was busy giving Canterlot a thousand-yard stare, his bag plopped down beside them on the floor.

“Hey Dusk?” the dragoness interrupted the silence. “Are you okay about doing this?”

He nodded, “I think so.”

“But nervous in how it’ll turn out?”

“Oh yeah...” the alicorn trailed off, looking down at his hooves. “Do you think this is a good idea?”

Shrugging, she answered honestly, “How should I know? This kind of thing has never happened to me, but I still think there’s no way around it though.”

There was a moment where neither of them talked, letting the breeze and some chirping birds fill the quiet of the little station on the edge of town. Finally, Dusk Shine turned to his assistant. “Do you wanna snack on anything? I’ve got a mixed bag of gems I’ve picked up.”

“Eh… why not?” Dusk took out the bag with his magic and hoofed it over to the dragoness, who started munching its contents by the clawful.

With nothing left to do, the Prince looked back to his saddlebags and took out one of the letters he hadn’t read.

My Dearest Dusk Shine,

As I am writing this by the dying light of my fireplace, you have fallen asleep on my couch. As of now, I let you stay here in the palace because of the frightful weather outside. The weather teams are certainly working overtime to bring some snow to the city since Hearth’s Warming is just around the corner. From looking out the window, I can already tell from the blizzard that it’s a little too risky for you to return home. There’s snow coming down in heavy clumps, and the wind has picked up. There’s simply no way I’m allowing you to go anywhere until the streets are safe to walk on.

You were quite annoyed, if not a bit worried about getting home a few hours ago. After all, we both know that such a circumstance hasn’t happened to you before. You suggested that you would take one of the guest rooms so that you could give me my room back. But nevertheless, I have convinced you that you may sleep on my couch for tonight and I’ll make sure to fix some hot chocolate by the time you wake up.

‘Oh yeah,’ Dusk thought, ‘I remember now. It was the time where the castle was snowed in for two days and nopony could get out. And I certainly remember waking up to the smell of hot cocoa.’

I must admit, this blizzard was a pleasant surprise for me. Of course, this means that you get to be near me, my beloved, as you drift off to your dreams with a copy of “The Age of Reason” as your pillow. Perhaps I should switch it out for an actual pillow, just to make it more comfortable for you to sleep.

Come to think of it… I don’t believe I’ve ever seen you sleep before. Looking at you from where I’m writing this, I almost wish I could have this moment in a painting. The dim light from the fireplace and from the window outside cast soft lights over you. You, lying stomach down on the cushions with a blue blanket wrapped around your form, your tail sticking out. Your head resting upon a book, eyes closed, giving a peaceful smile as if you’re one with the universe. Almost like a monk.

It’s still curious to me how you’re able to do it, to be honest. How is it that you are able to create masterpieces in my eyes without trying? Perhaps I should name this moment: Nocturne Peace.

Wait just a moment… there. I’ve just exchanged your book for one of my countless pillows, yet your expression still remains as serene as ever.

Dusk, my beloved Dusk Shine, is it wrong that in this moment that I envy you?

The young alicorn plinked at that question. “What?”

“Huh?” Spines inquired. “You said something?”

“Um… no.”

Shrugging, the little dragoness popped a ruby in her mouth.

Dusk, my beloved Dusk Shine, is it wrong that in this moment that I envy you? Looking at your sleeping body, I couldn’t help but be envious of you. As of now, your smile to me reflects something that I have long sought for: peace. Peace of mind, to be precise. I mean, the way your facial expression is as the flames die away, you were able to find comfort in that mind of yours. As if that even in a situation where you’re away from home, you are able to find something that wants you to stay and rest here.

As for me, I have sought that peace for quite a while. Given the stress of centuries of court, making difficult decisions that would make historic outcomes for the future, and not to mention having to deal with Princess Bluebelle, what wouldn’t I give to have that peace that you have as this very moment?

There’s something else I’ve noticed about you. As you sleep, you look so innocent and… vulnerable. I confess I did have the thought of perhaps quietly walking over to you to give you a gentle goodnight kiss on those lips of yours. Just one and you may never know. But at the same time, it wouldn’t be fair. If you’re asleep and I kiss you, I doubt that you’ll ever know that it was me, and therefore, have no memory.

Have you ever kissed another pony before? What if you haven’t? What if I had stolen your first and you would have no idea? No, how could I do that?

As much as my heart wants to reach out to you, I still have to wear the mask of your teacher, as well as your friend, just a little longer. The time isn’t quite right yet and there’s still some uncertainty coming from you. I, on the other hoof, can always wait until things become clear and hope that maybe you’ll let your heart reach out to me as well.

There’s not much light left now. I think I ought to retire to bed. As you sleep, my Dusk Shine, I wish you-

Dusk was interrupted as whistle pierced the air. Looking up, he and Spines saw the train was approaching. The Prince looked back at the letter to read the last few words.

As you sleep, my Dusk Shine, I wish you to have pleasant dreams of a sea of books, a forest of scrolls, rivers of stories, and for me to beside you in your adventure.

Goodnight, my sleeping king.

Forever yours,

Forever mine,

For-

“Dusk,” Spines called out to him, “Come on Dusk, the train’s here.”

“Right,” Dusk nodded, rolling up the letter and putting it back into his saddlebags. As the train pulled up, some of the exiting passengers noticed the Prince, wanting his autograph or a picture before he and his assistant could board the train to Canterlot.