• Published 20th May 2012
  • 3,082 Views, 38 Comments

The Changeling - V-Oblivion



The story of a changeling's trial, as he describe what's been like to live among ponies.

  • ...
7
 38
 3,082

Chapter 4 (reviewed)


Chapter 4







Sixth day of trial.


Because of the actions shown by the accused last, this jury has determined that it is mandatory for General XxX to have the assistance of a competent and instructed advocate, if he does indeed agree to be judged by our law system and submit to its causes.

This position will be taken by licentiate Justice Care. From now on the accused will continue his ‘narration’ with the guidance of mister Care.



Interrogation day three:



I would like to say something about the continuous use of such meaningless protocol, but mister Care has instructed me about its importance for this procedure. Though he does agree with me about its questionable propose, yes Sir, I will stop ‘dragging’ my lawyer into unrelated matters, but are you implying that my words were a fault towards his respect? With all of my respect Sir, hehas openly agreed about that matter, after all: coming from a different law system must be a bit confusing for him, thus creating some irregularities to what he knows as a trial, or ‘unconventional wastes of time’. Your Hounor, you simply haven’t been with someone of this country of his (If he is an average colt, I can’t imagine how a more ‘radical’ folk may be) I must admit, it’s hard to speak casually to him without the sporadic appearance of some double sense words, then again, once getting serious he becomes quite trustworthy.

Why yes My Lord, I do enjoy his company and guidance, he is absurdly kind to my humble dronesona and keeps instructing me on how this procedure works, how I should conduct myself and what should I avoid to say and do, after all I do want to prevent an incident as the one of last time, which I sincerely regret.

*S.N: While saying these last words, the accused made a huge emphasis on the ‘regret’ part, as he also did a small bow. *End of note.

With that said: your honors, my advocate wants to know: what is the reason for the days I haven’t been allowed to be present during this trial?

Because I told him that I wanted to keep speaking for myself, Your Honour it is my shell which is at stake after all. I do know however, and mister Care also explained further to me, that it is customary for the accused to remain silent during the whole process, leaving interaction with the judges and jury to the attorneys. But I want to keep an active role rather than leaving everything in mister Justice’s capable hooves, as I have told you once; I am here to avoid possible resentment against my kind.

Your Honour, my advocate understands my reasoning and has granted my selfish wish, therefore whenever he wants to make a question, it will come from me. Now would you be so kind as to answer his question which I made?

So you were resolving if this procedure has any meaning, I’m sure you must have your reasons and thoughts to wonder that, but I’m also sure that you must have found a reason to keep this trial going. After all we are all here. So this means that I… we aren’t going to be left ‘uninvited’ again, does it not?

Well then before I resume my narration, is there anything you want to know your honors?

Yes Sir, we possess our own law enforcement, actually, that’s the third branch of our army: they are called the “Cops”. Though they only have the corps on the numbers, they are entirely made of civilian volunteers and retired soldiers, they have the job of maintaining the order within our cities. Of course they have their strong points but they are the last line of defenses if anything where to happen. Oh, you wanted to know about our legal system, very well; Evidence.

We collect as much evidence as we can and bring justice to whoever needs it, there is very little talk on such processes, let alone elegance. Yet this system has maintained order for generations, with the search of evidence as one of those few ‘strong points’ our Cops possess.

Anything else you may want to know? No, then I will proceed:

I woke up several hours later, the sun was no more on the horizon, and the stars were beginning to glimmer in the velvet sky. Yet the silent night atmosphere was uncommonly noisy.

I rose from the bed to see what the ruckus was about, yet to my surprise I found my whole magic reserves refilled, even my body was feeling quite better (aside from a little numbness), yet we don’t poses such healing ability so I was completely impressed. I forgot for a second why I woke up when I re-noticed the noise from outside, which was getting louder, I could see some light a few blocks away, yet clearly felt a beating sensation through my whole body, even the windows trembled at it.

With the feeling of having my magic at its fullest and my body’s miraculous health, I decided to see what that ruckus was about, under a ‘disguise’ of course.

I walked past a few streets and discovered that the noise was actually music, very loud music. As I walked closer I remember asking myself – how can ‘music’ possess such a strong beat? – yet, and I must admit it, the flow and rhythm was quite enjoyable. I was on those thoughts when an overwhelming group of ponies appeared before me. They all seemed to be around something, but I couldn’t see what, as far as I knew we were at the central plaza of Caterlot, the music and the mood was obviously for celebration, but celebration of what. Were they celebrating our defeat… “I can’t blame them” was my first thought but they seemed more happy than blissful, as if they were celebrating somepony’s achievement rather than the city’s victory.

Carefully watching my personal space (though this time wouldn’t have mattered if I touched anypony) I walked further into the cheerful agglomeration, as I did so, I noticed that every gaze was aimed to one direction, and that very few were talking to each other. They were indeed celebrating somepony in particular, but who and why?

I was no longer sure if this was a victory party at all.

Then I finally get a glace to the center of the plaza, and there a saw what I never expected to see; Princess Cadenza and Captain Shining Armor dancing together, both of them with their engagement rings. I was… astonished.

All I could think at the moment was “did our invasion mean so little to them?” At that moment I couldn’t tell which feeling filled me more: amazement or happiness. It was indeed ‘their’ victory party.

┼ ┼ ┼

The party was euphoric, the music loud and all around there were ponies dancing; yet there I was standing in the middle of it, bedazzled and disorientated. But never the less, a part of me was relieved. We imprison her, supplant her, and almost steal her most important somepony forever; and yet there she was, dancing and partying with him as her husband, as if there were no worries in this world at all.

Despite my personal beliefs and thoughts at that moment, I felt a huge amount of respect toward her in that moment. Some other pony may have ended with resentment or bitterness after what happened to her, yet she was standing her ground as if nothing ever happened.

Of course she may ‘do’ have some resentments of it, but that night, she didn’t show any sign of it, and that is not something everyone can do, pony or not. It was simply amazing, and to my surprise those six ponies we fought against were there too, right beside her. Apparently they resumed their previous endeavors once our invasion was terminated, and seemed as euphoric as the couple in their special night.

With my curiosity calmed, and not willing to push my disguise within so many ponies, I decided to return to my hideout and call this a night. Or so I planned, as again destiny had other plans for me.

As I was half way there a sudden attack of hunger assaulted me. I had been inactive and wounded for two days, and despite being able to feed on the love that was all around (thanks to the party) I was in the need of feeding directly from something. Now I knew why my body was in such good condition: I used up all my love reserves on healing my body and absorbed the love around for my magic.

It seems my words doesn’t make much sense to you so let me explain it: our race feeds on love, true love being the best for our nutrition, but any love can fill us. Now, love is used for two things within our body, to fill and power up our magic and to literally nourish us.

We actually eat the feeling, though we can eat other things, we prefer love. Mostly because we are carnivorous (that’s why I have never touched the meals I been offered here)… well what did you expect with these fangs, they are not for show. In a moment of our history we changed meat for love; it was easier to catch and wasn’t precisely lethal for the prey. But because of our ancient instinct, and my actual hunger, I felt the need to do some hunting that night.

And I was in luck, I found myself a very innocent victim almost right away: a lonely unicorn filly of pale purple coat and gold mane. But fear not my jury, I did not harm her in any way, I simply implemented a common strategy for feeding.

I approached her and said – “Good evening my little pony, is it all right for you to be in the middle of the night all by yourself?” – I was disguised again as a member of Canterlot’s pompous unicorns, a male this time, and expected her to be trust me with ease… nevertheless I was wrong.

<< “None of your business sir, have a good night” – she told me with a surprisingly polite voice and started to walk away.

<< “Huh?... wait! – I was really impressed by her answer, but I wasn’t going to leave her in the middle of the night, and I was hungry – “you should respect your elders little one, that was a rude thing to say” >>

<< “And what was precisely the rude part of it my good sir?” – she answered me again with polite words yet not slowing down her pace – “you aren’t hopping around and telling your affairs to everypony around are you? So why should I?”

Sharp.

<< “Well… somepony is trying to give you some company in this huge and lonely city, you could show a little appreciation.” >>

<< “Well sir, as far I know, you could be a fillynaper or even a changeling, so I’m afraid I should keep being by myself, thank you” >>

‘Jiakes!’… it was the first time I ever see a little filly distrustful of others, let alone smart. No offence your honors, but your children trust others too much, and that may end being taken advantage of, as I try to do.

However I didn’t have those thoughts in my head, I was looking for ways to ensure my survival, and finding fellow Changelings was part of it. And as I said, this child didn’t look as your average filly and seemed too mature for her apparent age, as she didn’t have a cutie mark either.

So I did the only thing I thought would ensure me a good result; I spoke in my idiom and language, asking her if she was a servant of the queen.

If she were to be one of my kind, she would answer me and we should plan from there on, on the other hoof if she wasn’t, she wouldn’t be able to hear my words and nothing would happen. However, she did hear me, but she didn’t understand me.

<< Say what again sir? – was her counter question to mine, I said my words ‘strong enough’ to be understand at the distance we have with each other, there was no chance for a drone to not understand what I said. Yet she seemed surprised by my words – “we don’t have a queen and you know that, right?” >>

How she managed to hear my words, and even understand them, is still a mystery to me. Yet she seemed ignorant of the feat she just realized and more interested in me now, she was even enjoying it, so I did the only thing I know to do best: keep pretending.

<< “Ha, see! I know I could make you smile somehow – I think I overdramatized my reaction that time, but she seemed to be fine with it too – So you are not a servant of the evil queen that tried to take over our land! Good, good!” >>

<< “Of course I am not sir, but know this, I’m not smiling by your words, but by the mere fact that your silly act makes me remember somepony… some very silly and klutzy somepony” >>

I started to feel my hunger been filed a little at that moment, this was what I was after. As I mentioned before, I was performing a simple strategy to cease my hunger, a movement to feed ourselves and get some information in the process, is a common performance our scouts are taught to do if they intern themselves too deep into enemy land.

And it was working for me, all I had to do now was keep it up and I would be satisfied in no time – “klutzy? That’s a bit rude too, don’t you think little one? >>
<< “Believe me I would buck anypony who dared to say such as an insult to her – ‘so this somepony is a she’ I thought – but she gives so many reasons to be called that way that it’s just too hard to not doing it” >>

<< “Mhm… – I don’t remember if I said that as actually giving a thought to her words, or if I was just enjoying the bliss of feeling my hunger gone little by little – is this somepony close to you? >>

By how fast she was feeding me it was obvious that she was, but I was supposed to ignore this fact, so she answered me – You can bet she is, she is my mum!” >>

‘Figures’ was my inner verdict, with this all fell into place: whoever her mother was it was someone shortly dependable, or maybe of questionable intelligence or perhaps even both, however she was of good nature as her daughter keep caring for her, no, more like guarding her. This was why she was so mature for her age, she wasn’t just looking after anypony, she was looking after her mother.

It made me feel a bit guilty, taking advantage of such a remarkable filly, but I was nearly filled up, so I keep her company for a while longer.

<< “She must be very proud of you – I sincerely tell her – at such age and taking the attitude of a grown up, in must have been hard for you” >>

<< “Wrong this time sir – she told me with confidence, and no politeness – I can take care of things just fine, and I like it. Yes there are times I take care of some things… specially her screw-ups, but she can be very dependable on her own way, which has giving me the time to enjoy myself too, she also dislikes to be nursed every second”.

There was more pride that anything in her speech, but then she suddenly blushed and quietly added – “but she ‘is’ proud of me” >>

<< Good for you – I added as my hunger was finally gone – but I can’t conceive why you are alone here, where is your mother?” – I genuinely asked her.

<< She is traveling all the worlds there are with a friend – she told me with such a serene look that I couldn’t tell if she was telling the truth or making fun of me – you wouldn’t understand.” >>

<< Okay… so you are staying with…?

<< A friend of the family, she takes care of me sometimes, we were all at the wedding reception, but I decided to return before it was too late” >>

<< “I see this friend trusts you too, it is not normal to let a filly walk by herself at this hour, especially when an invasion was avoided just yesterday” >>

<< “You really resemble my mother sir, it was three days ago – my face should have been that of ‘!?’ – You should be more careful. >>

I could see now why I was so hungry, and why my body was in such better condition; I sleep for half a week. I was thinking about it when the little filly said – Here we are! – as I heard her words I noticed we were in front of what looked to be a second class inn, not elegant but comfy.

<< “Then ‘big’ filly, take care of yourself” >>

<< “You too sir – she told me with polite, yet warm words as she walked in, then she turned and said – you know, we are going to be here for a few more days, it should be nice if we meet up and chat again sir.” >>

<< “Yea, it should, let’s see what happens – I told her, not really expecting to see her again – until then take care of your mother too.” >>

<< “Good night sir –she told me as she disappeared inside the building, however this was the only time she talked as a filly of her age.

And with nothing else to do, I returned to my hide out to exanimate my body a little closer.

To our beloved princess Celestia:

This lawyer has definitely brought a ‘change’ to this procedure, besides the new attitude of the accused toward us, he seems quite diligent for somepony from Mexicolt. Yet it is quite impressive that he summited himself for the position, we originally left the charge free for anypony who wishedto use it, yet no one did. Then this Care came and cares.

My apologies for the terrible attempt of a joke.

He is very difficult to speak with, though, once we are outside the courthouse, as the General pointed out, one can’t say a single word without him distorting it into a completely vulgar meaning, yet somehow funny. But his attitude during actual session … it’s completely contrary; it almost seems to be somepony else, very inconceivable.

As for our accused itself, he seems somehow more relaxed now that mister Care is working with him, I can’t tell if he is at ease for continuing with his help, or relived for having somepony besides him. Anyway, judges Rottamanthis and Eiaquus seem pleased with this addition, though I don’t doubt the LJ will say something about it soon.

As for the time being, I will make sure you know if anything else happens.

Your humble servant
“High Judge” Maneos Right.

PS: We are looking for the filly he mentioned on today’s narration.

Comments ( 4 )

After taking my sweet damn time, here is the fourth chapter.

Enjoy it and don't forget to comment!!

W00T! New chapter!


P.S. I found two minor typos near the beginning of the chapter. One of them was a missing space.

Woo another chapter!

And really interesting too. :twilightsmile:

Will gladly wait for the next one. :moustache:

Login or register to comment