• Published 12th Jun 2015
  • 1,059 Views, 46 Comments

Heroes of Harmony - Nova Arc



After the Rainbow event, Earth is exposed to new energies, granting people superhuman, supernatural, and paranormal powers.

  • ...
3
 46
 1,059

Prologue 1.1: The Frozen Light

The streets of Manehattan, were busy. Then again, it was Monday rush hour. Everyone was trying to get somewhere. One particular boy was trying to get home... or what he called home anyway. He got off a subway train and made his way to the surface. Then his stomach grumbled. "Huh, she was right. I really do need to eat something," he thought out loud. He walked over to a small, nearby shop and walked in.

"You okay kid?" the store clerk asked him as he entered.

"Great. Why? he responded.

"Well for one thing, it's ten below zero and you're dressed like that," he said, gesturing to the boy. He was wearing a pair of gray sneakers, green khakis, and a gray long-sleeved shirt rolled up to his elbows. He also had a pair of goggles around his neck and a brown shoulder bag that looked and sounded like it was full of metal. His dark skin was a bit pale, like there was a layer of frost over it.

"I, uh, did a lot of running," the boy said, "Hardly felt the cold."

The clerk stared, then went back to work. "Must've been some run. What, did you take a lap around Manehattan?"

He was about to answer when pink-haired girl dressed in a white tank top, pink skirt with blue and yellow stockings, and pink boots came out of the back room. She was carrying a big brown box in each hand and balancing another on her head. "Hey Mr. Cake," she said in a bubbly tone, "where do you want these?"

"Just take them to the kitchen, Pinkie," replied Mr. Cake. "Oh, and we have an order for a dozen double glazed coco cream éclairs."

"Okie-dokie-lokie," the girl said as she skipped into the kitchen.

Mr. Cake looked back at the boy. "Sorry, just opened this branch about a week ago. Still trying to set up while keeping up with orders. My wife and I started this store in a little town a few miles south of here. She's running the branch there now."

"Oh. Well, good luck," the boy said. He walked between shelves, picking up snacks as he passed. As he stood in line to pay, he noticed the headline on the newspaper a dark-skinned woman with a black and white Mohawk was reading: MASKED HERO RESCUES TEN PEOPLE FROM A BURNING BUILDING. "Well, good to know the media sees some of these people as heroes," he said.

The woman turned to the front and smiled. "True. Not many appreciate what they do," she said. "But it must be encouraging knowing there are people who appreciate them like me and you. But the thing is that some are good, some are bad, and quite a few are just plain mad."

"Well, people should learn to tell the difference." The other woman smiled. At that moment, there was a crash as the window behind the man broke.

"GET DOWN ON THE GROUND! NOW!" shouted a man.

"Oh my," said Mr. Cake as he lay down. Five armed men walked into the shop, armed with military-grade weaponry. They were wearing ski masks and wear dressed in all black. Everyone was on the ground in a matter of seconds. One went over to the register and emptied it into a duffle bag, but not before dragging the clerk away from the counter before he could trigger the silent alarm. "This is a bakery. We don't have a lot of money."

"Then we'll take what little you have off your hands," said one as he emptied the cash register. He turned to three others. "You three, check the back room and the kitchen." They split up, two to the kitchen, one to the back room.

The last one went around the room. He picked up the boy's back, ignoring the contents, and said, "Everyone else, empty your pockets and persons of any valuable items." They did as they were told, surrendering their watches, phones, and wallets/purses to the man as he went around with the bag.

One of the men in the kitchen came out, dragging the pink-haired girl the boy knew as Pinkie. He threw her to the floor violentlyThe boy caught her and asked, "You okay?"

"I'm fine," she replied, glaring at the armed man. "Meanie," she added sticking her tongue out at him. "I'm Pinkie Pie, just call me Pinke, Pinks, PP... teehee, PP," she said, drifting off at the thought of the odd nickname.

"Oh, um, pleased to meet you. I'm Frost Flash."

"FF, teehee."

The boy smiled weakly. He looked around and took account of the men. Five goon, all armed. Two SMG's, one LMG, two assault rifles. Guessing the guy with the LMG at the counter's calling the shots. Guys with the SMG's must not be as strong as the others. Either that or they couldn't afford more heavy firepower. Two still out here, three in a different room. The one in the back room would be the last to respond 'cause the door's a lot thicker. Okay.

"You planning a way to take these guys down? 'Cause count me in," the girl whispered. Frost looked confused. How did she know? Did she read his mind? "Don't worry, I'm not psychic. Well, not exactly, anyway. I just kinda got the feeling you were planning something. The same way I have a feeling that you're a metahuman."

Frost even more confused, but on the off chance that she could help, might as well let her in. "Okay, can you deal with the guy with the assault rifle?"

Pinkie glared at the man picking up the hostages' belongings. "Sure. But I really wanna beat that guy that dragged me out," she said.

"Okay. Knock him out. I'll take the guy with the LMG. The noise should attract the others." Pinkie nodded. Frost pulled out a scarf and an earpiece from his back pocket. He put it on and tapped the button on the side. "Testing, testing, one, two-"

"Yes, I'm here, Frost," said a young female voice on the other end. "What did you get yourself into this time?"

"I'm at a place called Sugar Cube Corner on Crescent Street. There's a little... trouble. I need some visual assistance. Can you hack the cameras?"

There was a pause on the other end. "Can I... do you have any idea who you're talking to?" Frost put on his goggles and soon, he was looking at the store from the view of the cameras.

"Wait, is it safe to do your thing out in the open?"

"Yes," said Frost, putting on his goggles, "Yes it is. Especially with you watching my back." The girl on the other end sighed. He ran his hand over his black hair, which was gradually covered in patches of white. He rolled through them; one where they were, two in the back room, and one in the kitchen. He took a deep breath, exhaling cold, frosted air. He looked up to the man with the bigger gun. "So, were you bored, lazy, or too unprepared to rob something other than a bakery?"

The man walked over to him. "What was that?" He cocked his gun. "Couldn't quite hear you." Frost smiled. He held out his hand. The man looked confused. Confusion turned to shock when cold air gathered around Frost's hand, turning to water, then to hail. Frost smiled. "Holy sh-" He was cut off by the hard ball of ice hitting him in the face. The other man turned around to meet a smiling pinkette.

"What the-" Pinkie grabbed his gun, which slipped from his grip while he was still surprised and hit him over the head with it. She looked back and saw Frost grab the other man's gun. Frost trailed across it as the man pulled away. He got free and aimed at Frost.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," said Frost. The man pulled the trigger and the gun backfired, the explosive force sending him into the wall behind him. He looked at the camera screens on his goggles and turned to Pinkie. "Pinkie, door in four seconds." Pinkie went to the counter and picked up a donut. As one of the men came out, he was greeted by a splat of jelly on his face. He doubled back and saw the girl.

"Y'know, my friends told me I need to cut down on sugar," she said as she ate the donut. "You know what I told them?" The men aimed at her with confused looks. Once she finished, she looked at them for a while, until her eyes suddenly dilated wildly as if she was injected with adrenaline. She smiled widely. "I said SCREW THAT!" She jumped at them with unnatural speed. They tried to fire, only to realize they no longer had their weapons. They turned around and saw Frost as he smashed the frozen SMGs together, shattering them. As the men ran towards the kitchen, they were knocked off their feet by a blast of wind. They looked up to see Pinkie holding a frying pan in front of the kitchen door. She stared at on of them and said, "This is for tossing me on the ground like a spoiled muffin!" She smacked him on the head with the pan and stared at the other man. "Meh," she said. She tossed the frying pan and walked away. The man crawled away, only to get hit on the head by the falling frying pan.

The last man came out of the back room, saying, "I think I found the safe, but it's way too heavy. We're probably gonna need to either pick the lock, or blow it off, or..." He stopped when he saw his four partners sitting on the ground, hands and feet locked in blocks of ice and tied up and gagged by what he believed to be multiple streamers. He aimed his gun, ready to shoot at anything that pops up.

"MMMM! MM MM MMMM!" They tried to warn him. When he got the message, he turned around to see Pinkie and Frost standing behind him.

"Oh... crap," he said. Frost simply nodded. He dropped his gun and put his hands up in surrender.

"Smart, but no fun," said Pinkie.

Soon, the police arrived to take away the criminals and question the suspects, all of whom said they didn't see the heroes since they were face down on the ground. As Frost walked out, Pinkie jumped in front of him holding a box. Mr. Cake said I should give you these as a sign of his thanks for saving the store. I'm also really thankful, but I'm not sure what else I can give you for free because we still need to run this place and I don't think giving people stuff for free like this is a good idea for a starting business and I-"

"It's fine, Pinkie," he said, taking the box. He opened it and was hit by the powerful scent of a dozen cinnamon buns of three different varieties. "Whoa, thanks."

"No problem," Pinkie said, smiling so widely her eyes closed. When she opened them, he was gone and there was a $10 bill in her hand. She put it in the register and went over to the woman holding the newspaper. "So, how'd I do? How'd I do? How'd I do?" she asked.

"You did well, Pinkie. We've found another one," she replied. "Let us hope he finds our proposition just as fun."

Author's Note:

WOOHOO! First part of the two-part first prologue. Next, you'll meet Frost's accomplice. Behind every great superpowered kid is another superpowered kid watching him/her from a distance. Hope you like the story. Prologues will be out about every two days (3 in total, counting the first two as one), so stay tuned and stay awesome!

Profiles
Name: Frost Flash
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Abilities: Cryokinesis (ice and snow), thermokinesis, thermohomeostasis, impressive reflexes

Name: Pinkie Pie
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Abilities: Enhanced speed, strength, and reflexes via sugar consumption (the greater the quantity, the longer it lasts/more powerful she gets), Pinkie Sense (Obviously)

I'll be doing this every time a new character is revealed with their powers. Hope you like the fic!