• Published 20th May 2012
  • 2,203 Views, 37 Comments

Caring For A Certain Stallion - runeplay2



Fate has a funny way of placing ponies in each other's hooves... Will it be so for our lovers?

  • ...
15
 37
 2,203

Dear Agony

“Thank ya kindly fer’ the offer, but we can barely afford the expenses as is, an’ Ah’ve got to be back on the farm by the crack of dawn to get all the chores done.”

Applejack gave the receptionist another tired smile before heading towards the room her brother and Fluttershy were currently in. Over the past two days, she had been juggling the duties of the farm, taking care of Applebloom and Granny Smith, and checking in on Big Macintosh and Fluttershy. Since this whole mess began, she had gotten… oh, hay, who knew how many hours she had worked into the night? Enough to have the receptionist notice, that much was apparent. After her debacle with Applebucking season, the entire town seemed wary of when she was growing fatigued.

As she approached the room, she noticed that the door was ajar, but the lights were still off.

Maybe a doctor just walked in to check on them, and forgot the door…?

Careful not to make the door creak too much, she snuck into the room, and turned on the sleeper lights, and headed towards her brother’s bed.

Well, he’s still hasn’t woken up yet, that’s for sure.
“Guess Ah might as well—what the hay?” The curtain around Fluttershy’s bed had been drawn, just enough to separate the two beds.
As she drew back the curtain her eyes landed not upon her friend, but a sack with two notes attached to it.
She plucked a letter from its place on the bed, and began to read aloud the disorderly message, the beginning having been scribbled out and re-written almost a dozen times:
“Dear Applejack,

If you are reading this, then I’m already long gone. There are enough bits in this sack to cover my medical expenses, Big Macintosh’s, and anything else I could gather together. I know it won’t make up for the horrible, stupid pony I was, and nothing could ever change that fact. Tell the others that I’m sorry for all the trouble I’ve cause them, and please, don’t come after me.
Sincerely, Fluttershy”
“Of all the--” Applejack cut herself off, and began rushing out the door to chase after Fluttershy...
------------------------------------------------------CFACS--------------------------------------------------
Of all the ponies in Equestria to have risen early that morning, Rainbow Dash had expected to be the least likely. Though, after her years of flight camp, there was one thing that never failed to wake her up within an instant. Though the sound had come often, Rainbow Dash always knew it was worth skipping the extra 20 minutes of sleep for, not matter how groggy she might have felt. A hurricane, she could sleep through-- but not Fluttershy crying.
Granted, that didn’t make following Fluttershy through her house, listening to a long list of instructions any easier.
“Ya know Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash began in between one of her many yawns “this would be a lot easier if you had gotten an early riser like Applejack to help.”
“Oh, no, I couldn’t do that…”
What, Rainbow thought to herself, another sigh? She’s been doing that a lot- even for her!
“Though I really shouldn’t be doing this to you either. I just can’t stay in Ponyville right now, and I need someone to look after the animals until I get back, that’s all.”

“Which reminds me, when are you getting back? You sorta haven’t said that yet.” At this point, her agitation from being woken up so early was wearing off, allowing her to finally bring Fluttershy’s excessive awkwardness into focus.
“Well, umm… I haven’t really been able to figure that point out yet, but I can guarantee it won’t be too long.”

“Okay, but make sure to write, all right?”

“Oh… All right.” As she bit the tears back, Fluttershy could feel her face heating up more, to the point she feel herself shake.

As she saw her friend begin to stare at the knot in the wooden floor as though it had all the answers to life in it, Rainbow was finally able to click the pieces together.

“Ya know, I tried it too, but even I wasn’t fast enough.”

“What? I don’t understand what you—“

“Remember when Discord was still loose, and I turned into that complete and total jerk, totally trying to ditch you guys?”

Fluttershy attempted to choke out a yes, but the knot in her throat allowed only a nod.

“The reason I was running was because I saw you guys as somepony else’s problem—deep in my gut-- even with Discord’s compulsion-- I knew I was supposed to be helping you.”

“Rainbow, I…”

“Even though I wanted to, I couldn’t help you guys. It gave me this crappy feeling in my gut—and I think I can relate to how you’re feeling. You feel this is your fault, and there’s nothing you can do to change it.”

She just couldn’t take it anymore. Rainbow was dead on, saying everything she couldn’t. It was just…
“Listen, I stayed up all night with you during flight camp, and I sure as hay am not going to ditch you now.”
Rainbow nuzzled Fluttershy’s mane out of her eyes, and draping a wing over her.
“Just take as much time as you need.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Author's Note:
Well, I'm sorry for being so slow with this story, it's just that I've been dealing with the reality that there is going to be a third, and fourth empty chair at my high school graduation. Four chairs whose names will be with me for a while.