• Published 27th May 2015
  • 1,790 Views, 48 Comments

At Twilight's End - Shrouded_Legacy



Twilight Sparkle was Celestia's most capable and most faithful student, until she made a vital mistake. She left her friends behind.

  • ...
7
 48
 1,790

In the Dark of the Night

In the Dark of the Night


“Ah, yes! It feels good to be alive!” Discord laughed. “And you, my dear, are more than I could have ever dreamed! Who knew that old Sun-Butt could have trained such a chaotic little minion? Maybe she loved me after all!” He broke into pieces, each of which gained a mouth to laugh with in a different tone.

There was a bright yellow flash as Celestia arrived on scene, wearing her full armor and holding a radiant gold and white halberd. “Discord, show yourself! I cannot allow you to... to...” She stopped as she surveyed the scene, seeing a bloodsoaked Twilight controlling a conjured blade, and the rural town changed from it's normally lively atmosphere into one of fear. “Twilight... ?” Celestia was too shocked to see what had become of her student to say anything.

“There is no battle I couldn't survive, feeling like this—Feeling Alive!” Twilight sang as her head turned up toward her old mentor, her face twisted in a dark grin, but her eyes greyed, and dim. “Princess Celestia,” she started, her voice uneven and accompanied by an aetherial echo. “to what grand scheme do I owe the pleasure?” Her stance was unmistakably combative, looking as though she could charge her old mentor at any moment.

Discord reappeared and slithered around Celestia, whispering in her ear. “Oops, I did it again, Celestia. I played with your heart...” He started laughing, lifting himself into the air grandly. “You should know better than to chase the master of Chaos!”

“NO!” Celestia shouted, closing her eyes and shaking tremendously. “NO! You're playing with my head, this can't be the reality I sought to defend!”

“In this case, you simply can't make up how marvelous, simply marvelous, this has all turned out!” Discord laughed. “I saw that you placed some wards to limit my abilities this time, so why should I use the energy to surpass them when there is already so much discord to revel in?”

Celestia opened her eyes to see the twisted shadow of her former student. She ignored Discord's comment as horror and regret played equally across her features. “What happened to you, Twilight? It's been three days since I saw you...” Receiving no answer, she continued. “Where is my Faithful Student? Where is my dear frie--”

You lie, Celestia.” Twilight growled. “Or do you dismiss all your friends when they're begging for forgiveness? No, I was naught but a pawn to you, a useful tool for carrying out your will. I failed your test, and so now I, and I alone, must correct the situation.” She laughed bitterly. “Sound familiar, Teacher?” She took a step forward, leveling a menacing leer at Celestia

Discord appeared in front of Twilight, a mischievous grin on his face. “Well, well, well... Someone finally told off the old mare! What fun!” He laughed as he pet Twilight face. “I'm beginning to like you, even if you are a bit too grim at times!” Twilight reacted by swinging her aetherial sword in an upward arc, knicking his arm. The blow would have cut the limb from his body had he not pulled back in time. She snorted, facing him and kicking at the ground threateningly. “Well, the fun here has certainly died out. That bloodlust is just not a good fit for me.” Twilight charged him when he looked away, only to be caught in mid air, unable to move. Her horn fizzled out and the sword disappeared. Discord came toward her immobilized body, and she, and all the host within her, began screaming. “What was the price of arrogance again?” He started cackling, which turned into the laughter of a mad man the closer he drew. “Ah, yes. I remember now!”

“Unhand her, Discord! You will not have her life!” Celestia grabbed her halberd and charged him, her eyes glowing white.

He put up a finger from his talon and stopped the point of her blade on it. Tisking, he said with an exaggerated frown. “Oh, my adorable little sun, you always did burn up a bit too quick.” He moved his finger toward Celestia. “I'm not going to harm dear Twilight, there's no sport in it.” He masterfully hid the strain that holding them both was placing upon him. Once Celestia relented, he touched Twilight's horn, and the Voidsever separated from it and rose off as a piercing howl of pain rang from her lips. “These items, and the souls within them, make it far too hard to play with some ponies, however, so I think I'll just hold onto this for a while.” He released Twilight, who fell limply to the floor. “Ah, I forgot to mention, you'll be a little dead for a bit.”

He stepped on her as he began walking away, causing her to cough and begin breathing again. As her eyes fluttered open, she felt the other's closing in on her. Like a wounded cat, she sprang up to protect herself, feigning strength when all she felt was weakness. Her eyes remained unfocused and confused for a time, but when her eyes settled on Celestia, it all came back in a rush. Discord turned to watch as some popcorn popped up in front of him and a chair flashed under him as he sat back.

“Twilight..” Celestia dared to breathe hopefully.

“No!” Twilight backed away from her. “I—I'm no longer your student, Celestia. I don't deserve it...” Twilight's eyes closed as she questioned if the murderer had been in her this whole time, lurking beneath the surface. She couldn't know how much she had changed, but ever since having learned defensive combat spells, she had always wanted to use them... She wanted to cry, but she felt it would be wrong to seek comfort in the host of ponies she had betrayed, however unwittingly. “There can be no forgiveness for my actions, as I have doomed too many. Saving the lives of others does not lessen the weight of my crimes.” When she finally opened her eyes, the haunting pain was evident. Her gaze seemed to settle on the horizon as it glazed over while she fell into herself. “I... must leave to acquit myself of my crimes.”

“Twilight, please! It doesn't have to be this way! Come back to me!” Celestia cried, Twilight's words stinging her core as she realized her folly.

“You're talkin' crazy, Twi!” Applejack shouted out.

“Yeah! You know we'd never just let you go, egghead!” Rainbow Dash joined in.

Hearing her friends calling out for her drew her attention. She looked them over, taking note of just how scarred they had become from Trixie's reign. Applejack wore a white bandage holding a patch of cloth over her left eye, and her coat had been singed in several areas, revealing burns left under-treated while she was forced to continue working. Rainbow Dash had splints on both of her wings. Pinkie's jaw was wired shut. Rarity's coiffure was dingy and her coat lacked any of its usual luster, and her eyes bore the tiredness that echoed her slightly bloody and swollen hooves. Thankfully, Fluttershy herself looked unharmed, but Twilight saw in her eyes that she knew what had happened to Angel. The meek pony could hide neither her horror nor her disgust.

To make matters worse,” Twilight surmised, “It's all my fault... Luna...”

“I am the reason your lives are ruined.” Twilight confessed, her voice now soft and low without the echo. “And I'm not the Twilight Sparkle you used to know.” Twilight walked up to Fluttershy who began cowering away. Nodding, Twilight asked, “Do you want to tell them?” Fluttershy shook her head. Twilight drew in a deep breath and started, slowly. “You saw me kill Trixie. I had donned a powerful, soul-stealing artefact, and powered it with the soul of Fluttershy's dear Angel, who Trixie had resigned to a life of torment.” Her voice trailed off as she turned her gaze to the ground, not able or willing to hold anypony's eye contact, “And... I was the one who corrupted the Crystal Heart.”

Everything went silent. Even Discord didn't speak, though his reason was attempting to stifle ill-humoured laughter. Twilight looked around, and their faces spoke what their words could not. Resentment from Fluttershy, Betrayal from Applejack and Rainbow Dash, Pain from Pinkie Pie and Celestia, and bafflement from Rarity and many faces in the crowd.

After the silence sat for a few seconds, Celestia tried to intercede. “Twilight, you were not properly prepared for what you faced, and that is my fault. If I had--”

“You did not make the decision to fight. I had other choices and made the worst possible one.” She drew in a sharp breath, “And I have to this point continued that trend. I will not ask for forgiveness, for there is none to be found with the dead and dying. All that is left to me is redemption, and I will seek that for the rest of my days. I have failed you all.” Twilight turned and ran away, flashing into a teleport before the others could see her cry.

The only sound left to the crowd was the mad cackling of Discordant laughter.



Twilight, having teleported herself just outside of her old home, ran into the Golden Oak Library, slamming the door shut behind her as she collapsed a few feet from the entrance, sobbing. She laid there a while, mourning what she felt she had lost and might never regain. Eventually she heard a small voice calling her out of her depressive stupor.

“Twilight?” Spike approached slowly. The baby dragon looked like he had done his own fair share of crying over the time she'd been away, judging from the slightly red eyes and and generally tired, nearly expressionless face.

“Oh, Spike!” Twilight started rubbing her eyes, trying to dry them. She stopped when Spike grabbed one of her legs and just held on for a while. “Oh, Spike...” and the two of them started crying, holding each other. “I'm so sorry, Spike, I should have had you come with me. I needed my number one assistant with me.” She smiled sadly.

“Celestia told you that it had to be you, Twilight. I just wish I could have helped. I saw a battle on top of the Crystal Spire, and then I saw you fall off the edge and land on the balcony. I was so scared! I thought for a while that you had... had...” Spike couldn't finish his sentence as his voice got stuffy, reliving their last parting. “Promise me that you'll never pull a stunt like that again! You're more like my family than my mentor, and I just don't know what I'd do if you really...”

“Shh, Spike.” Twilight clutched him a little tighter. “I'll be careful, I promise.” She stood after a minute, feeling better about things now that she had met a friend that she knew would never leave her. “This means, however, that we have to leave soon. Our welcome here has been worn thin, and we must find somewhere else to go.” Twilight told him, a soft darkness still present in her voice.

“Find somewhere... ?” Spike blinked. “Twilight, what happened?”

“I made a few mistakes.” She paused ominously. “A few very bad mistakes.” She continued with a grimace. She related to him the events since they last spoke while they went around gathering supplies for an extended trek. When she told him about the Voidsever and the different voices, He looked thoughtful, as if attempting to parse out the meaning behind it all. When she finally made it to the encounter with Trixie, she slowed down and stopped packing altogether, watching Spike for a reaction. The one that she got surprised her.

He cried.

“Spike... ?” Twilight stepped towards him.

“These artefacts...” He started slowly. “They do things to your mind. It's not all your fault, Twilight. Trixie... She fought it too, but she couldn't win. Her greed, her want of attention, was greater than her self-confidence. They are the darkest of magic, feeding on your emotions just like that spell Celestia taught you.” After catching a sidelong glance of surprise from Twilight, Spike wiped his eyes with a sad smile. “I have had a lot of time to read after escaping Trixie's notice.” He looked out the window towards the town hall, whose spire was no only barely visible due the the surrounding buildings. “I have to thank Discord now. Without him, you may not have escaped Trixie's fate. If you live by the sword...” He paused, turning his head to Twilight. “I'm just glad you're okay. Even if you're a little different now. I'm sure the others will be fine with it if you give them time. Maybe we should stay, give them a chance? They haven't really rejected you.” Spike said hopefully, trying to dissuade Twilight. The task was always difficult, but he had to try.

“Yet, Spike. You didn't see their eyes. If I stay, it will only hurt worse.” Twilight sighed.

“Twilight, the only way to be stronger than your fear is to face it head on.” Spike's expression became pained. “If we have to leave, then so be it, but don't underestimate the others. Don't you remember when you were so afraid of them hating you for your obvious magical talent?”

“That was different.I was making an inference due to an experience with another pony. This time, their eyes were on me. They see me as a traitor, Spike. And I'm sorry, but I can't hear them say what I saw in their eyes. If I do, then I can no longer hope to win their forgiveness by fixing some of my mistakes.” Twilight said as she grabbed her saddlebags. “Come on. I think I know where we're going next.”

With a somber expression, Spike grabbed the bag he packed and followed Twilight out the door. “This can't end well...” He took a final gaze around the home he was leaving. “This won't end well at all...”


A few hours later, they found themselves setting up camp in a cave several leagues outside Ponyville. As Spike started gathering wood for a fire, Twilight set up a couple places to sleep and fashioned a firepit between them. They had packed as light as possible, with the exception of a select few grimoires for Twilight to study on the way. They had only basic necessities like emergency rations and water purification tablets, in case Twilight wasn't able to cast her spells for some reason. Everything else they would have to acquire when they needed it.

Spike made his way in shortly and saw Twilight, having already set up their accommodations for the night, studying by the low-light of her horn. He set the gathered firewood in the firepit and and lit it with his breath. He padded silently to his alcove, then turned and faced Twilight. “It's not too late to go back, you know. Your friends... they need you, Twilight. You were always the glue that held us all together. Especially after what happened with Trixie, they'll need you, if only to organize the rebuilding efforts.”

“Let Amethyst Star handle it. She did well enough before I got there.” Twilight said off-handedly. She flipped a page.

“She can't do it as well as you though, and you know it.” Spike returned. “Besides, there are many things that happened to them that they'll need help dealing with.”

“Fluttershy's better at playing doctor. I may have more book knowledge, but she is Kindness, after all.” Flip.

“And what about her? Who can she go to?”

“She never really talked to me about her problems anyway. She and Rainbow Dash go way back. It would make sense that they would confide in each other. Plus, Big Mac seems to be pretty sweet on her as well.” Flip.

Spike sighed, knowing he wasn't going to win this argument, but determined to try. He only had a few more bullets though, so he'd have to place them carefully. “What about the Elements of Harmony?”

“Not much harmonious about betrayal and loathing, Spike.” Flip.

“You are the only who feels loathing, Twilight. You need them--” As Soon as Spike started, he knew he'd made a mistake.

Twilight slammed the book shut and threw it on the ground. “I need them to what, Spike?” She shouted. “To tell me how disappointed they are? To turn the cold shoulder? To slowly push me out of their lives because I remind them of a simpler time when the sky wasn't so heavy?” She started crying. “Ponyfeathers, Spike! I don't need them! I can do without their anger and their fear...” Her voice dropped as her crying intensified.

“Verily, you do have enough troubles of your own.” A smooth, light voice cooed from the cave entrance. “'Tis indeed unfortunate if you are to lose friends over them though.” She continued. Despite the luxurious quality of her voice, you could hear the tiredness – the exhaustion – slowly fraying her composure.

“Princess Luna!” Spike exclaimed, somewhere between jumping for joy and sighing in relief. “You're here! Thank you!”

Simultaneously, Twilight jumped for her, hugging her without thought of station. Luna, surprised by the sudden movement and unable to brace herself before the contact, toppled over. “Th-Thank the g-gods!” Twilight sobbed into her shoulder. “You're alive! You're okay!”

Moaning from underneath one of the tightest hugs she'd received, Luna managed to ask, “Twilight, what... ?”

“In the Voidsever! I felt you! Heard you! The voices disappeared when I took it, but when I succumbed to the souls you were there with me! I thought I had lost you, your voice!” Twilight clutched as tight as she could until she could feel Luna straining herself to move. Twilight let go quickly at that point. “Sorry...”

“No...” Luna moaned as she struggled to get up. “I am myself, and I am well... enough.” Twilight hadn't bothered getting up, deciding instead to busy herself with thoughts so how to handle things in an attempt to shield herself from the embarrassment of tackling a princess. Knowing the determination in her eyes, Luna made no attempt to dissuade her. Instead she just reached down and nuzzled her, drawing her out of her reverie. “I am sorry, Twilight Sparkle. The darkness you face now is deeper than many will ever face. Neither Sister nor I could have prepared you for this.” She straightened, taking on a more regal, more natural, posture. “Sombra was ready for you, and Sister's order, though well in intent, was ill advised. Your greatest strength is that of your friends. To single you out did not have the effect Sister desired, as your faithfulness to her was greater than your desire to be with your friends. All that has followed is unfortunate, but must you truly exile yourself for the redemption you seek?” Luna sat and regarded Twilight, who nodded silently. “So be it. You are no doubt returning to the Crystal Kingdom to confront Sombra, and while you are armed with more knowledge than you had before, he still will likely outclass you in a fight. How, pray tell, will you confront him?”

Twilight shifted uneasily. “I won't.” She stated simply. “I will take the Heart after earning his trust. I don't want to fight anymore...” Twilight seemed broken as she muttered these words.

Luna raised an eyebrow in surprise, but she said answered, shaking her head sadly. “Twilight Sparkle, it is imperative that you find a way to forgive yourself for what happened to Trixie Lullamoon. The choice to fight was yours, but the choice to kill was not. The spirits contained in that artefact overpowered even my own, and they are malevolent, bloodthirsty.” Luna shuddered. “You were ill equipped to deal with their influence.”

“I should never have donned the ring in the first place...”

Luna chortled darkly “In fact, you should never have take the ring from Our castle.” She sighed faintly, “Hindsight is always perfect. Our value is not measured by our failures, but by what we learn from them. Twilight Sparkle, you are one of the most intelligent ponies I have had the pleasure of meeting, but I fear that your intelligence will be your undoing.” Luna's expression tightened slightly. “I can see that you are capable of many great things. Sister's belief in your ability is what lead to this entire debacle, so I know she sees it as well. You merely need guidance, and even at that you don't need much. Will you not return? Sister is heartbroken about the state of your relationship just as much as she is about the state of Equestria at large. I feel that little would bring her more joy than for you two to be together again. And Little Spike was right, you need your friend's love to overcome your fears, and they need your strength to push past the horrible experiences they had.” Twilight shook her head, silently crying the tears of the damned. Luna sighed deeply. “Alas, I feared it would be so. I must give you this, then.” Luna summoned a black book, richly adorned with silver filigree and a crescent moon, much like her cutie mark. “Contained within are words hidden from history. It is a story about two foolish sisters, about fear and love, about the light and the darkness within, about ambition...” Luna looked away to the north, her eyes betraying her sorrow. “And about loss...” She breathed deeply, and exhaled slowly. “I hope to see you soon, Twilight Sparkle.” She turned and began to walk away before hesitating at the mouth of the cave, something bothering her.

Twilight took the opportunity to speak, now that she was calmer. “Luna – Princess Luna” Twilight corrected herself, her voice a little hoarse. “I... Thank you. Without you, I wouldn't have survived... The Cloak of Night was a generous protector, if a selfish one. I... do have a wonder though.” Twilight paused as she saw Luna's expression. Luna was staring at her, horror in her eyes.

“You...” Luna seemed to have a hard time composing herself, which was quite out of the normal for her. She realized what was bothering her, but she shook her head and instead let the young lavender unicorn continue. “And what might that be... young one?” Luna couldn't help but add emphasis to the new name, but Twilight didn't catch it right away.

“She—They... they said we were linked. That was one message given with sincerity. After I said I had no direct connection to the moon, they told me that they wouldn't have found me if it weren't for the link I share to you and Princess Celestia.” Twilight recalled. Her face fell to her hooves as she continued. “Am I... to be like you? Do you know what they meant?” She looked up, her fear evident. “Do I truly have the power to shape the world?”

Luna shook her head imperceptibly. “Alas, even I don't know the true nature of every star, young one. The ones that light your path are separate from my own, and it seems they've told you more than they ever did myself.”

“They spoke as though they owed you a debt, as well. I can infer that they warped you through their companionship, and that they regret what happened.” Twilight's mind finally put itself back on track. Having something to think about other than her failures helped her to finally be able to think.

And, she couldn't deny, the companionship was, indeed, comforting.

Luna's exhaustion, however, seemed to be nearing a peak as she staggered at the cave entrance. “You will soon find that sharing your soul with any other creature changes the nature of both you and your meld-mate. The sweet caress of moonlight called to my soul, but the realms above are filled with spirits, both benevolent and violent. The dissonant chorus of voices would threaten to drive you mad if you open yourself to them.” Luna gave a measured glare at Twilight, “Much like the Voidsever, in fact.” Twilight withered a little as Luna continued. “And my, as you've called it, Cloak of Night had helped to defend me against the malevolent will of the spirits of Chaos. Now, I must wane, rest, and at a horrible time. Sister shall soon have need of me, this I can sense in the air, but until then, I must once again rely upon her for support.”

“You will always have me as well... Luna” Twilight dropped the title with an intentional pause.

“Thank you, young one... But Sister shall need you more. I prithee reconsider returning, as Sister would--” Luna didn't get a chance to finish her sentence.

“I cannot face Celestia after so blatantly abandoning her teachings...” Twilight gave Luna an indiscernible look. “My fears are not unfounded, as I have doomed the nation she has worked tirelessly to protect for millennia. I have single-handedly undermined all of her efforts to maintain peace and prosperity in Equestria. It would be her duty as Princess to banish me for my crimes. If not even you, her dearly beloved sister, could escape the law, what chance have I? Surely you can understand my trepidation in this regard?”

“I can... and I suppose I shall have to explain it to Sister. You should not allow so petty a fear to keep you from the ponies who love you, young one.” Luna sighed wearily. Twilight recoiled, but remained silent. “But you have it set in your mind that you cannot be loved until recompense is made, and I cannot convince you otherwise.” Luna paused, considering her own emotions. “You cannot stand forever against the tides of evil if you choose to stand alone, Twilight. At least take this to heart.”Luna started walking out of the cave, calling over her shoulder, “Sister will soon have need of me, so I'm afraid I must take my leave. Fare thee well, Twilight Sparkle. I wish you good fortune and godspeed.” She jumped mightily into the air with a flap of her wings, and she soared gloriously into the night, all her fatigue seemingly forgotten in the light of the full moon.

Twilight stood for a while before shuffling towards her cot, Luna's book in tow. She fell into her bed-roll, curling up a little. “I certainly have a lot to think about... Celestia... I'm so sorry it had to be like this...” Twilight's mind turned towards the others, and she knew she couldn't leave without saying goodbye.

“Spike... Take a letter for me.” Twilight murmured, just barely able to be heard. “To Ponyville...” She added, the words seemingly paining her.

Spike, who had been listening intently this entire time, nodded as he pulled out some parchment and a quill. “To Ponyville,” He repeated as he wrote the words.

I write this to express my deepest sorrow and sincerest apologies. I have left to seek indemnification from my past sins. I may not return, and so wish to leave a few words for those who may require an explanation. My crimes speak for themselves, and the list will no doubt continue to grow; I, however, would be remiss if I were not to speak my peace.

I fought Sombra for the Crystal Heart and failed to wrest it from his hooves, and my final strike went awry and infused the Heart with all the dark energies I felt while fighting him. My rage and my fear were great, and as such the shield that was to bolster the peace and prosperity of our fair land has turned against it, and the places with heavy concentrations of chaotic magical energy will continue to grow until they consume Equestria. The Everfree Forest, being one such location, will soon become a daily foe for many who inhabit Ponyville.

This is your warning.

And now, for my farewells.

Firstly, I want to thank all of you for enriching my life ever since I moved to Ponyville. I never knew what friendship could be until you all shared its magic with me. If it hadn't been for each and every one of you, I never would've been able to enjoy life outside of my studies.

Secondly, I know that my apologies will never be enough, especially after the past couple moons, but I want to express my anguish over the state of the town. I should have been there. I should have been able to do more. I can no longer be there to aid you, however, and for that I am truly sorry.

And finally, I want to acknowledge each of my best friends. You made it possible for me to achieve greatness. I knew I had nothing to fear with you six at my back. When you didn't believe me, I couldn't hold it against you. I had, maybe, been a little crazy around you, and I can't blame you for trying to get me to see reason.

Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Fluttershy... You will always be very dear to me and hold a special place in my heart. I couldn't ever forget you, nor could I forget all of the things we've done together. I am most especially damned for my crime against you all, as my betrayal of your trust is something that can never be forgiven. Even if I was there to mend the friendships we've established, we would never be able to be as close as we were before... At least, not until I fix what mistakes I can. Maybe then we will be able to be friends again, if I can manage to earn your trust. Until such time, just trust that I will do whatever I can to make your lives better.

With Love,

Twilight Sparkle

After writing all of this, Spike promptly yawned and stretched. “Go ahead and get some sleep, Spike... We both have a long day ahead of us tomorrow.” Twilight said with a sad smile.

“No complaints here.” Spike laughed and he laid on his bed-roll. “See you in the morning, Twilight.” He smiled warmly as Twilight pulled his covers up and tucked him in.

“Yes... Good night, Spike.” She kissed him on the forehead and watched as he fell asleep. Once he was well and truly asleep, Twilight dipped the quill in the ink Spike was using and added a couple lines.

Spike, I will always love you. You have been a constant companion and my dearest friend for my whole life. You were always there for me... and I regret nothing more than my inability to be there for you. I can't risk your life for my mistakes. I need you to stay in Ponyville. They will need you just as much as I, but you'll be far safer there than with me. Farewell.

Tears dotted the end of the page, and, as silent as the night, Twilight grabbed her saddlebags and left. She continued north, towards the everlasting winter.

To Sombra.

Author's Note:

Okay, so this one turned out to be a bit longer, and I couldn't get my editor to proofread it. I actually finished the chapter about two weeks ago, but I wanted to have someone read it first to check for characterization errors... which I'm still not sure of, but I'll open it to you guys since it's been a while.

Hope you guys enjoy. :pinkiehappy:
Next chapter's a doozy :pinkiecrazy: