• Published 26th May 2015
  • 848 Views, 42 Comments

A World in Chaos - Mocha Star



An element bearer has gone missing and rumors of Discord's return have begun to circulate; The adventure is on, but, are the characters ready for what is in store?

  • ...
24
 42
 848

The search

"Okay, we're standing on a cloud in a city of clouds in the sky. What's the worst that can happen, right AJ?" Twilight said nervously as she hopped lightly feeling her heart jump in her chest expecting to fall even though she knew her spell was safe. "Where's the factory, Night?"

Night was standing with the other Pegasus with their wings open slightly by their sides and looking to the sky, bathing in the unencumbered sunlight. After a moment they relaxed and looked at Twilight and Applejack with a refreshed expression. "Twilight, something you'll never understand is how great height and clouds are to us Pegasi."

"Except that time Fluttershy flew me to the top almost and it was all dizzy," Rainbow said as she mocked herself in a stumble and crossed her eyes. Fluttershy chuckled into her hoof recalling the rainboom over the city shortly after.

"Yes, most local Pegasi know of Rainbow Dash personally after that time."

"You also got me iced creams on clouds of flavor! It was so great, oh Scootaloo. I didn't tell you but don't ever bite ice cream or you'll get a major headache, ya know?"

"Uh, yeah Dash. Gotcha," Scootaloo said smirking from one side of her muzzle. Is she serious? She never knew that, I know I've seen her eat ice cream in Ponyville at least a dozen times.

"Well, where the spell do we go? We don't have forever, lets move it."

"Wow, rude. Okay it's over a few nimbus' - uh, clouds that way. You can gallop there and we'll carry you across any gaps, let's go." Night and the other Pegasi too to the air with Scootaloo on Night's back as the others cautiously galloped in pursuit. A few Pegasi looked at the galloping ponies with humor. Seeing non Pegasus was not common and to see some on a mission and not in royal armor was a treat.

Arriving an hour later near the factory the group stopped at a small bistro to catch their breath and freshen up. "Hey, I got a few bits, who wants to split a shake?" Scootaloo asked the group. A dozen bits landed on the table as they all smiled and raised their hooves in the air. Scootaloo took the money to the counter and returned several minutes later with a server. Four flavors among the six of them was still enough for them to sample them all.

A round of compliments to the chef and a few bits tip they left refreshed and ready to continue their mission. Standing outside the factory they read the sign over the main entrance. "Floating Fog Emporium? What kind of place is this, Night?"

"Um, it's a factory that makes cloud stuffing for Pegasus dolls," Fluttershy said poking her hoof at the clouds beneath her feet.

"Yeah, I heard you have a lot of puffed animals at your home. Right Rainbow Dash?" Night shot Rainbow a smile.

"Yeah, we have a bunch and they're so cool, Fluttershy sleeps with three every night. You can throw them at the ceiling and they float to the floor," Rainbow grabbed a puff of cloud from under her and threw it in the air and it floated down as the others continued.

"Okay, so where did you meet them? Some cool secret door around back that leads to a hidden floor under the factory where it's all dark and full of fire lit torches and monks are chanting in secret languages?" Scootaloo hovered off Night for a couple seconds in excitement before she lowered again.

"Scoots, you have to stop watching so many movies. It was after hours and it was in the back of the factory in a managers office-"

"See! It landed finally." Rainbow shouted pointing a hoof at the cloud she threw up a minute earlier. The others looked back at Night who continued.

"Managers office. The mare should be there right now and with Rainbow Dash leading us we should be able to get in no problemo."

"Leave it to me, I'll get us in there no probleemo."

Five minutes later two guards were leading them out the gates. "Listen, you can't barge in and expect to use your reputation to see the factory. You want in, you have to get approval from the office or join a tour."

The girls smirked to each other. "Hun, when's the next tour, we'd like to get in on it."

"The school foals will be having one in the next couple of weeks, mares. Come back if you enroll in flight school or get a letter of approval. Buzz off and don't trip over the edge," the lead guard said.

"Yeah, well... Don't you fall of the edge yourself pal!" Twilight shouted as they walked away. Night nudged Twilight and shook her head.

"That's an insult to non-fliers. It means don't trip and die." Twilight felt her anger flare as she turned around and cast an illusion on the lead guard.

"SEE you later, jerkface." They all galloped as the guard shouted and blinked, his eyes were pitch black; blinded by a temporary spell.

"Wow, Twi, that was intents. You totally blinded that guy, his eyes were all like, whoosh and gone. You're mean, but a good mean."

Twilight was in much better shape than she was a couple months ago and was barely panting after such an exciting run. "Nah, it's only a three minute spell. I can cast light, darkness, a few illusions and fireworks easy. A couple others I'm learning or know but don't use, like cloud walking. So, yes. It was intense but I'm not evil, just... mischievous." She grinned with a forced wicked smile that startled Fluttershy for a second before Twilight chuckled.

"So, where the hack're we gonna get an approval letter? I don't know anything about this place but I can find a rep I work with, I'm sure. Just gotta find a phone."

"AJ, they don't have phones up here yet. Too many wires to have hanging to the ground for such a mobile city. We have radios to communicate but you have to pay for them and only at radio centers. There's one a little way over there but we're burning through the spell so let's just fly the two with us, okay girls?" They nodded at night and Fluttershy grabbed Applejack while Rainbow grabbed Twilight and they all followed Night and Scootaloo into the city.

Landing at a street intersection they followed Night to a radio center and let Applejack go in while they waited outside. Ten minutes later she returned smiling. "We'll have the paperwork in two hours. Let's find something ta do, any places or sights ta see?"

"Well, we have two hours in a city made from clouds that two of us have never been to for sure. I think I can find something. Let's go to the park and wait, where are we meeting your people, AJ?"

"At the gates of the factory. Let's get going before we waste too much time and Twilight has to recast the spell."

As they walked they all held conversations until Scootaloo asked a good question. "AJ, why do you sound more country now than when we met? You don't live on the farm so, whats the deal?"

"Well, since I had to take my sister Applebloom in, we're talkin' a lot and she's catching me up on her life when I'm not around. I used ta talk like her when I was a filly and I guess it's just coming back, 'z all. We travel together and I let her watch while I make a movie or have a script meeting. Sometimes anyway. Usually I'll have to kick her out when she gets bored. Oh yeah, we've got the screen play and script done for your movie, Dash. You're gonna love it, we've got a great cast in mind and you're all gonna play a part in the sequel when we fight Nightmare Moon."

"Wow, I'm totally psyched to watch me on TV. Can we get a TV, 'Shy?" Rainbow asked as they turned onto a main street towards the park.

"There isn't electricity to our cottage yet, Rainbow Dash. And it'll be a movie first, so we have to go to a larger city to see it. I'm certain Jack will get us to Las Pegasus or somewhere to view it." Applejack smiled and nodded at Fluttershy.

"Aw, 'Shy. Can't we watch it at Filthy Riches house? He has a movie theater there?"

"Rainbow, we can't impose. His daughter is a hoof full as it is and his time is valuable in its own way. We'll just wait, remember to be patient Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow groaned. "I'm always being patient, I wanna TV 'Shy. C'mon, please?" She pleaded loudly in the crowd of Pegasi that were walking between shops. "I'll be good and make your bed for a month!"

"Rainbow you are making a scene. I'll have to see about getting something, until then we will have to go to city hall to watch TV or movies, understand?" Fluttershy was scolding Rainbow in front of every other pony without regard for her own anxiety, "And furthermore if you don't display patience with this electricity and television issue I won't even consider it. Now hush." Rainbow opened her mouth to protest but knew better than to argue with a psychologist and closed her mouth and frowned looking ahead huffing in frustration.

The others felt the awkwardness in the air watching a relatively calm mare be so parental to her ward in public.

"Well, anyway I think it's a really good idea to get electricity someday. It's really cheap and it makes jobs for ponies. Not only that it's nice to not have to light lanterns and blow them out all the time."

"Well, I can understand that. I spend enough on lantern supplies to pay for electricity and creating work for ponies is always a good thing. They can help support their families or make their own better. I'll consider it, for Rainbow's sake and the sake of my own sanity." Fluttershy and Rainbow shared a smirk as they went back to side conversations.

Arriving at the 'park' they took a seat in a cloud and watched a couple earth and unicorn children play on a slide and throw cloud balls at each other while Pegasus children fluttered their wings and tried flying through rings hovering in the air.

"Oh, can I play? Can I? Please?" Scootaloo squeaked excitedly. When the others nodded without hesitation she jumped from Night and galloped to the park fluttering her wings as fast as they'd move joining a group of Pegasi in their play and exercises.

"She looks so happy, it's easy to forget that we're looking for a creature that can destroy the world."

The others nodded, smiling as they watched her play. Scootaloo raced a group of Pegasi around the park before seeing a new group approaching for the distance. A colt in her group pointed to them and they bolted away to the older ponies. Scootaloo fell into the clouds suddenly as the bearers watched. "She must've gotten a cramp, what a noobie flier. I thought you were working with her," Night said looking at Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash.

"Oh my! I don't think she's hurt, the spell!" Fluttershy and the others looked at Nights expression change to shock as they all bolted to Scootaloo. Pushing the kids away Night picked Scootaloo up, limp and asleep the filly didn't move for a second before gasping back to life.

"Wha-What happened? It felt like I was... I don't know," Scootaloo said looking around at the group gathered around her.

"So, now we know how far she can go and that they were serious. Sorry but flock your brother, Twi," Night said as she helped Scootaloo to her hooves. Scootaloo shook it off and asked to go back to playing. The others nodded but informed her to stay close and at the park.

Walking to a place to sit closer to Scootaloo and readying her wings to fly after Scootaloo if she went even a little too far they relaxed a little. "Night, even if my brother is being a bit of a jerk I have to say that if you insult him or my family again I'll make sure you regret it. Element or not, you've got a long way to go to earn our trust back."

"Twilight Sparkle," Night feigned a gasp placing a hoof to her chest, "I didn't know you could be so imposing. I'm genuinely scared right now," dropping her facade she smiled warmly, "if you tried I might accidentally hurt you fatally. One of us is a trained soldier, the other a low level mage that can cast a few powerful spells and that works with her lesbian, I mean marefriend, peddling stories of how they alone beat Nightmare Moon. You have a lot of trust to earn yourself, dear."

The two jumped to their hooves and took their own fighting stances as they glared at each other. "Fine, then if it comes to it we handle it like adults?"

"Fine Twi, may Celestia be with you if that happens."

Lowering their stances but glaring at each other the time passed. "OH NO, SCOOTS!"

All their heads snapped to the playground and Night took off without a though toward Scootaloo who was second in a race. "She's gonna lose," Rainbow shouted, "go faster Scootaloo!" The others laughed as Night stopped and flew back to the group.

"Rainbow, that scared the Tartarus out of me! Why did you have to," Night thought and joined in the laughter immediately. She couldn't get mad at Rainbow for cheering her friend.


Returning to the factory the guards were accepting the document and nodded to the girls to enter. Guiding them to the factory the guards let the group in and returned to guarding the door.

"Well, that was a total change in their attitude, what's their deal?" Twilight asked openly.

"Guards for companies are military trained and on loan for a fee to the military. Those two probably wouldn't have killed us but may have put a couple of us in the hospital if we fought back last time."

"Oh."

"Yeah, our history is all about war and controlling the weather. That's our nature, just like farming to the earth ponies or casting magic for unicorns." Her logic was impeccable and no pony argued with her as she led them to the back of the factory. "This' it. A warehouse, amazing isn't it?"

"Lets ask the supervisor."

Entering the office they noticed a lack of ponies and sighed. "I guess she disappeared when the statue was taken. She won't be found unless we find the others." Turning to leave Night shouted. "Dark Wind? You're here! I thought you'd disappear," the two embrassed in a hug briefly, "I have to find him, where'd he go?"

"Can I trust them?" Night nodded, "I don't know. After that meeting they left me here. I got a message that said 'no contact'. That's three days now, three days of peace and quiet. Only work and home. Wait, you were supposed to be in hiding, are these our sisters?"

Night looked at the floor and poked the material with her hoof. "No, I was betrayed and left in his place. The guard took me and, well, these are the bearers of elements. My other sisters."

"Oh," Dark Wind said flatly, "well it's nice to meet you. Anything you tell the guard I'll deny to my last breath, understand?"

"Oh, don't worry. We don't really care about that, we just need to find Discord. Can you give us any ideas where to go?"

"Uh, and you are?"

"Her name's Fluttershy and don't forget it," Rainbow said sternly.

"Well, Fluttershy. I gave my life to my religion, I'm not going to betray them even if I did know anything. It's only the elders who know the plan, so find them and you find him. Good luck with that," Dark Wind walked to her desk and took a seat, "few ponies know where they are much less who they are. Us two, we're considered low level conscripts. We do what we're told, not what we want."

Night nodded and sighed. "That's one other way to put it."

"Well, that's great. I used a good favor gettin' in here and now we're empty handed. Ya gotta bathroom, foal's kickin' my bladder I swear."

"Oh! You're pregnant, that's great news. I'm glad for you, c'mon. I'll take you personally," Dark Wind hopped up and flapped to the door opening it for Applejack. Applejack turned and winked at the group as she left.

"Okay, we've got about six minutes to find something, let's split up and don't make a mess, Scootaloo."

"Oh c'mon, that was one time and it was a Pinkie party. Everypony goes crazy at those things." Scootaloo said trotting to a low file cabinet.

The others split up and looked under every desk table and Rainbow tried looking for a secret door or safe hidden in the cloud wall.

"Bingo! A train ticket to Manehatten. The asylum, it has to be," Night said as she slipped the ticket back into the purse.

"Well ah'll be. A real clue, like this' a mystery or something."

The others giggled for a moment. "Scoots, why're you talking funny like AJ?" Rainbow asked.

"Well, I thought it'd sound cool. Guess not?"

Gathering back together Night let Scootaloo back onto her back. "It was funny, but don't do it with AJ around, she might get offended." They all nodded and talked until Applejack came back laughing with Dark Wind.

"Hoo-wee that was one heck of a hair do they put on me. Heya gals. I was telling her about a show I put on once. We ready to go? I wanna get some food, little ones hungry again," she said turning slightly showing her growing belly.

"Okay, lets get you two a big bowl of salad."

"With eggs and extra onions with extra dressing and a lot of juice,' Applejack chimed in sticking out her tongue slightly.

"Well, no denying you're pregnant. You three have fun," Dark Wind nudged Applejack. Applejack gasped as looked at her side.

"Two? Oh Celestia I hope not. I'd lose my figure for sure," she giggled with the others before turning to leave.

"Wow, great acting AJ."

"No, I really want a salad like that. Let's get one before we lose this spell."


The taxi pulled into the driveway at Broadhoof Asylum, the girls got out and entered the main lobby. It was shiny and sterile white with inspirational posters and colorful artwork across the walls. Walking to the heavy paned glass the nurse smiled. "Welcome and greeting. How can I be of assistance?"

Fluttershy went to the window and smiled. "I'm Fluttershy, a licensed psychologist living in Ponyville. I was hoping to see," she turned to Night.

"Hypo Campus."

"Hypo Campus. Is he in?"

"I'm sorry, I've only seen him once in my seven years here and that whole Nightmare Moon fiasco kept us too busy for months after it was over. He's probably on another vacation to an island no pony knows."

"Can you call him? It is very important to even have five minutes of his time."

"He won't answer, I'll pass word along to him but I can't promise anything. Where's your hotel?"

"We'll wait, I have nothing else to do and this towns all about bits. My mom would kill me if she found out I was shopping here without her."

"Night, relax. Nurse, we'll wait an hour and see what ya can find."

Turning the group went to a table and waited as the nurse wrote a note and it left the floor off to parts unknown.

"I'm sorry," the nurse said walking to their table, "he's off site an no pony knows for how long."

"How's he have a job if he's not here?" Rainbow asked.

"Good question, if I knew that I'd have his job, I'm sure," the nurse mused. "Have a great time in the city." She turned and left the group.

"Twi, stop staring. You've got that loud mouth to go home to," Night joked.

"Shut. Up." Twilight growled through her teeth. "Besides, looking is fine. Doing is bad."

Night laughed. "Ya know, I really like you. I just give you a hard time."

"Well you're really mean about it!"

"You're an easy target and you don't defend her! How'm I supposed to know where the line is?" Night challenged back.

"The line is don't tease me or her about our sexual preferences! I thought they'd teach you that in the military."

"They teach us to survive, not have feelings for filly foolers!"

"THAT'S IT," Twilight lit her horn brightly as Night jumped up and flared her wings. They both fell to the floor asleep instantly at the same time.

"No fighting is allowed on premises. Please vacate the area or you will be removed."

A prerecorded voice chimed from a speaker near them embedded in the ceiling. The nurse shouted from behind the glass. "I cast sleep on them, they'll be fine but you have to leave."

The others nodded and picked up the sleeping mares and walked out. "That was quite embarrassing. We have to get these two to see eye to eye."

"They could do it." Rainbow stated before grunting as Twilight slipped slightly on her back.

"What?! Rainbow, how is that an option and how do you know about it?" Applejack said shocked.

"Well, when me and Fluttershy fight we hug and talk about it so we understand the other. If they're fighting about being sex they should do it and then they'll understand each other."

"Um, that's not quite how it works, Rainbow. But thanks for the idea. We really should focus on where he'd vacation to. Let's focus on the facts. Major cities, high position personnel. Applejack, are you one of them?" she mused as Applejack nodded comically, "so, we have to think of another place with high position ponies that can hide a group of Discord worshipers."

They stopped in the grass opposite the driveway and let the sleeping mares fall to the ground. Shrugging they looked at Rainbow. "I guess it's worth a shot, we have no idea where to go next."

Rainbow smiled wide and her wings flapped a couple times. "To Canterlot."