• Published 24th May 2015
  • 3,866 Views, 156 Comments

The lone spark - Fictional Fanatic



There is a reason why certain things are not allowed. Reasons why our parents tell us not to do things we see no harm in. They are the elders who know from experience. And now, so do I. Always listen to your parents, don't wander off and buy props.

  • ...
20
 156
 3,866

More lonely than I thought, less lonely than I was. (unedited)

I woke up from something extremely bitter filling my mouth. It wasn't the kind of bitter that leaves you longing for water, just the very sudden kind you don't expect anything to taste like. Confused at when I had managed to fall asleep as well as to the fact that I no longer seemed to be alone, I slowly opened my eyes.

I was greeted with the sight of a woman with long brown hair looking directly at me. Thankful yet a bit on edge to finally see another human I immediately went for satisfying my curiosity.

“Wha- W-where am I?” I asked, dreading I might not be US anymore.

“Calm down, kid.” The woman hushed. “You were having a severe fever, so Zecora and I brought you in here to help cure you.” She explained to me. I decided to look around and saw that I was inside what looked like a hollowed out tree, perhaps someone's home. I had thought that if I'd gotten sick I would have been sent to the hospital instead, whatever I had gotten must have been bad if I couldn't remember it.

“My name is Ember. You must be Caesar, right?” She asked me, as I had taken in most of my surroundings.

I nodded, presuming she learned my name from my clothes since my mother would always sew my name into them to make sure I always knew they were mine and could easily be identified if they got lost and found or were mixed up with another pair

“Yeah. So you found me? Will I be able to see my mom soon?” I asked, hopeful that it wouldn't be to far to the closest town where I could possibly go to a police station and ask to use their phone to call home, just like my mother told me I should do if I ever got lost from her or dad.

Ember looked at me, with a surprised expression as if that wasn't a question she had expected out off a ten-year-old's mouth. “Umm… Caesar…… do you have any idea where you are?”

I was about to answer Ember that I actually didn't. The fact she asked made me believe that I would still have to be close to the location where they found me, since I wouldn't be able to know if they transported me too far away. But before I could, I was interrupted by another voice.

“I say. Is he okay?” I heard another female voice.

At first I was startled, but realized that Ember had actually spoken in plural, suggesting that she alone didn't find me. Expecting to see another woman, judging from by the voice, I turned towards the- Zebra?

Had I not just heard the voice come from the creature, as well as having spent the last few days in a very weird forest after having acquired the powers of a Pokemon, I would have assumed that I was simply imagining a very lifelike representation of a mini Zebra.

This of course confused me to no end of how it was possible for this creature to, one, exist. And second, to actually speak!

“W-what?” I asked, as it was the only thing I found myself able to ask.

Ember sighed. “Caesar… If you think you are on earth, then you’re WAY off. You got Displaced like me and now on a world called Equus.”

“Equus? But… what do you mean not on Earth? How can I not be on Earth?” I asked, as I felt all hope drain from me, only to be replaced with fear. Had I been abducted by aliens?

“Because back home, you wouldn’t have the abilities of a Pikachu and I wouldn’t be able to do this.” Ember said as she opened one of her hands for me to see a small bird made out of fire and let it drift towards me.

I suddenly felt my head empty out from what I had just seen, It was too much to take in the idea that I was no longer on earth, but also that Aliens had experimented on me and given me both the abilities and slight appearance of a Pikachu. With that, I fainted.


Once I woke up again, I quickly remembered what had happened right before. And the implications were too much. I began to cry. What I really wanted to do was to bawl my eyes out, but the fact that I was in company made me try and restrain my crying. As I had little luck with preventing my tears I tried turning away from them to not put myself on display like I was.

“You okay?” Ember asked me as she sat down by my side. Surprised I first tensed up, I barely knew her. I was about to ask her to leave me alone, but decided against it as she seemed to be the only human close by. And judging by how we were on another planet, I didn't want to lose my only Human company. So instead I did nothing to prevent her from sitting next to me. It took me some time to calm down enough to register her question, not trusting my voice I instead nodded as I wiped away the last tears. Thankful for not having developed a headache from crying like that.

“It’s okay. When I was first here, I was a little scared too. But then… I was able to adjust to everything around me. I can help you if you need me too.” Ember said. Her offer was a nice gesture, but it was also something that hung at my soul. If she had been here for a long time, enough to adjust, then there was a high probability that I wouldn't be leaving anytime soon myself. Yet, her offer was reassuring, it was nice to know I could get help if I really needed to.

“I-I’d like that. Thank you Miss Ember. And you to Zecora.” I responded, thanking them for taking care of me.

“It’s nothing really. Being as old as I am, I have seen a lot of things, but nothing quite like you. You are unique, that’s for sure. Wait til you meet Applebloom.” Ember said. I was about to ask her how old she really was and how long she had been here. But I reminded myself that it was rude to ask a woman her age... Even if I wasn't on Earth anymore. I might not understand why it was rude, but that was what my mother had taught me. Instead I chose another question.

“Um… Zecora. if you don’t mind me asking… What are you?” I asked. Unsure if I offended her. “And… who is Applebloom?” I asked curiously. I could actually feel my own curiosity at this point, it felt like it was standing on top of my head.

“I am a Zebra, Caesar. My next question though is for Ember. Though it may seem silly, how exactly do you know the filly?” Zecora answered my first question, directing her own towards Ember.

Before Ember could answer that question, a song like tune was heard together with the sound of hooves coming closer. The door soon opened, and in stepped a smaller creature that resembled Zecora in shape, but otherwise looked nothing like Zecora. This 'zebra' was first of all a bit smaller, it's fur was of a yellow color and the mane and tail were of a red one. It also had a small bow in its mane, making it look rather feminine to me..

“Howdy, Zecora! Oh hi there, Aunt Embah. Didn’t expect to see ya.” She said, her voice blowing away any doubt of her gender.

“Um…” Was just about the best response I could manage from the sudden appearance of another creature never before seen by my eyes.

“Oh my… Who’s this little Fella?” She asked, trotting towards me.

"Little?" I thought to myself in confusion. "I'm not little, I am a big boy!" I convinced myself, while also carefully taking a step back as she came closer.

“Easy there, Applebloom. Caesar here is still recovering from a bad cold. Not only that, but he’s a bit…… Timid.” Ember told the now named intruder.

“Oh… You mean like Fluttershy?” Applebloom asked.

"Fluttershy? I think I'm seeing a trend in naming here." I thought to myself as I carefully evaluated every new piece of information.

Ember nodded her head at Applebloom's question. “Caesar, this is Applebloom. She is the youngest of two nieces that I’m keeping an eye on.” Ember introduced her.

I looked at Ember in confusion.

“Niece? But you’re a human, and she’s a…” I trailed off as I realizing I didn’t really know what Applebloom was exactly, my closest guess would be pony, considering her size. But the resemblance between her and Zecora, who was a zebra made me hesitate about jumping to conclusions as I was unsure how many other races could be similar to the ones I was familiar with. Also, ponies usually didn’t come in red and yellow colors. But then again, zebras didn’t usually talk. So I was unable to reach a conclusion.

“It’s a bit complex to explain, sugarcube.” Applebloom said.

“She helped out one of our relatives and they wanted to repay her for everything she did, so he completed a few legal documents that allowed her to be part of the family now. Yeah, basically adult stuff.” Applebloom explained.

“You mean like an adoption or somethin'?” I asked, curious about what kind of impression Ember had left upon the relative Applebloom was speaking about, if it was enough for them to adopt her into their family.

“Sort of.” Ember said, smiling a little before sighing.

“Applebloom, can I ask you something?” Ember wondered.

Applebloom turned around, “Yes Aunt Embah, what is it?” Applebloom asked, seemingly puzzled what Ember could be wondering about.

Ember paused for a bit before responding.

“Caesar was taken from his home and brought here against his will… So, I want to offer him a place to stay, but that also means I need to ask you something… Do you think you responsible enough... to have a little brother?”

Ember's suggestion caught me off guard. I wasn’t sure if I liked the idea or not, while it would be nice to have a place to stay, I couldn't say that I felt entirely comfortable living with a family of... Ponies. I had also just woken up, found out I was no longer on Earth and wouldn’t be able to see my parents for what was most likely the rest of my life.

“Can I think about this?” I asked Ember before Applebloom had a chance to respond.

I saw Ember beginning to nod her head, but suddenly found myself tackled by Applebloom as she tried to nuzzle me slightly.

“Of course!!!” She shouted a bit loud for my liking, seeing as she was rather close in proximity to my ears, them being more sensitive than human ears didn't help. Applebloom's sudden 'hug' if it could be called that, startled me into a 'fight or flight' response. Meaning I accidentally sent an electrical current towards my 'attacker'.

“Ahhahaha!! That Tickles!!” Applebloom laughed while I was simply glad that I hadn't hurt her by mistake and only made her fur stand on end.

“Sorry, you caught me by surprise… Um… I hope your ha- I mean mane won’t stay like that, it looks a little weird…” I apologized, silently hoping that she wasn't like certain girls were on Earth and would begin to shout and blame me. Her new 'hairstyle' reminding me of the 'crazy scientist' look.

“What do ya mean it looks weird?” Applebloom asked, giving me a questioning look.

“Well… It kinda went... poof?” I said, trying to empathize my point by gesturing with his hands.

“Yes indeed, you mane is in mane product need.” Zecora confirmed for me.

Applebloom blinked a little, then turned to look at herself in a nearby mirror.

“Aww man!! I didn’t get the cutie mark for being SO FLUFFY!!!” She exclaimed, seemingly taking the whole thing in stride.

“Cutie mark?” I asked, confused by what she meant.

“It’s a mark that represents a pony’s special talents.” Applebloom responded, recognizing the fact that I was confused and wouldn't know what it was since I wasn't a pony like herself.

“Mark… like a tattoo? Mom always said they were a bad thing and that I should never get one.” I asked as her explanation made me think of tribal tattoos. I also wasn't sure why someone as young as Applebloom was so eager to get one. As far as I knew they were only painful to get and didn’t look good anyway. Well, on skin anyways.

“No… Not like that… It’s something having to do with magic.” Ember said, while looking a bit unsure. “It’s complicated.”

“I see… I guess there is someone else who could explain it better then?” I suggested.

“Maybe Twilight can help!” Applebloom exclaimed, providing me with yet another name fitting the naming tablet I suspected this world used.

“Careful Applebloom…… she might have a lot on her plate given that she’s an Alicorn Princess. Tell you what, let’s take Caesar back to Sweet Apple Acres and work our way from there.” Ember suggested.

“Am I really good enough to be moving around yet?” I asked, turning towards Zecora while wondering about what I heard Ember say.

"Alicorn Princess, now what is an Alicorn, and would they really bother with explaining something to a child as myself, simply because others can't?"

“I see no bad alignments as of yet, but I wouldn’t take such a bet. Drink some tea and rest my dear, or it might get worse I fear.” Zecora replied. Making me wonder if my mother had simply over reacted each time she had told me to stay in bed, even though I had already recovered fully.

“Okay, then why don’t we let him rest here until he can walk and then we’ll come back to get him?” Ember suggested. “Would that be good with you, Zecora?”

Zecora nodded in response and went over into another room, only to soon return with some tea.

“I guess I’ll be staying for a little while longer, sorry.” I apologized. Seeing as I was now taking away even more of their time, making them possibly worry about me further.

“Yah don’t need tah be sorry! Don’t wantcha to be sick when you meet the family!” Applebloom squeed.

“Actually, speaking about resting… I really should have thought of this sooner.” I said as I realized I had yet to try out a certain move.. “Rest” I said as I suddenly felt very sleepy and the world melted away into darkness.

Author's Note:

In this chapter, we're taking on a crossover, why? Because SURPRISE! Caesar is not the first Displaced in this world, in fact, this world belongs to my friend FrostTheWolf, and his story "The Flames of a Phoenix".

Enjoy.