• Published 28th May 2015
  • 919 Views, 56 Comments

Warriors: The Next Three: Book 1 - Different Perspective - Kyle_67



Petalpaw, a cat from ShadowClan, receives a prophecy from her old leader about 3 cats who come from another world.

  • ...
4
 56
 919

Chapter 3

Petalpaw retraced her steps back to the river she was sleeping by. Glancing at the sky to see where the sun was, she reflected on the strange kittypet she met.

What did she say her name was? 'Rainbow'? Petalpaw was not unfamiliar with what a rainbow looked like; in the nursery, she was told a distinct tale of a rainbow leading Sproutstar home when he was alone as an apprentice. She doubted that a twoleg would give a cat that name, as she had met five kittypets before, all with names that are based in reality: Daisy, Rose, Max, Fern, and Plum.

Petalpaw realized she had been focusing on the strange kittypet's name rather then the color of Rainbow and her friends' fur. She had see cats at gatherings with a pelt tinted with blue, but this kittypet was completely blue. Also, her friends were strange colors as well, and they seemed to be hurt. This last realization drew her back to her quest to get water. Although they weren't clan cats by any means, Petalpaw knew she had to uphold the medicine cat's duty. Though not as urgent as the cases back at camp, she nonetheless quickened her pace in order to get there sooner.

Sighing, she spoke out loud. It was something she did to clear her head. "So in a clearing right now there are three cats who are hurt, have odd names that don't seem twoleg-appointed, and are the colors of pink, violet, and blue-" Petalpaw halted in her tracks. The colors she listed sounded awful familiar. Her eyes widened."Are they..."

Without skipping a beat, she took off running and blazed past trees, their trunks whizzing by as she pushed her muscles to their limit. Leaping over a log, she spotted the river. Nothing was more important to her in the world than finding some moss. Locating some under a pine tree a few fox-lengths away, she arched her claw and scooped moss out, careful not rip up any dirt. Petalpaw then bounded back to the river side, skidding a multitude of pebbles into the water. With grace, she lowered the moss into the water and allowed the water to sink through the moss. After tripping on the frog she killed and deciding to bring it back for some food, she balanced the fresh-kill on her back and quickly paced back to the clearing where she found the the kittypets, careful not to drop the frog.

Petalpaw couldn't believe she didn't make the connection before. She heard a whisper in her ear, recognizing the gravelly voice of Sproutstar.

"The three have come."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As Rainbow watched Petalpaw meander off, she felt a prick of frustration. Why is she walking so slowly? My friends are hurt! Rainbow was initially surprised that she was a part of ShadowClan, as the books she grew to love focused on cats from ThunderClan. She shrugged it off as the portal probably didn't know the focus of a series of books, thus it dropped them off wherever. She sighed, as though she would never admit it, she could recite the names of most of the ThunderClan cats, but not ShadowClan. In fact, Rainbow Dash didn't recall a 'Petalpaw' being mentioned at all in the books.

Why am I so caught up in the techincals? She mused. My friends are hurt! Get in the game, RD!

Rainbow Dash went to inspect her friends more closely. Her inspection of Pinkie Pie ended abruptly when she realized that she was simply pink with a light blue tail. True, it was interesting to see her pink friend as a cat, but Rainbow didn't see a reason to linger; Twilight, she observed, was very different from her pony form. Her once alicorn friend was now not only a cat, but Rainbow Dash saw that she was larger than Pinkie Pie. Not by much, but she assumed the same was true between her own size and her Twilight's. Twilight had a lavender coat and one dark-pink ear. She wasn't sure, but Rainbow was willing to bet twenty bits that it was the same color as the pink features in her old mane's highlight. Her friend had horizontal, dark-purple stripes on her back and a light-purple underbelly. Rainbow Dash also noticed how her horn was gone. Rainbow imagined her surprise when she found out that she didn't have her trusty horn, or her wings for that matter. Rainbow Dash froze.

Her wings...

Rainbow whipped her head around as far as her neck would allow and noticed that yes, she was indeed missing her wings. She couldn't fairly say it was unexpected, but she felt like a major part of her was missing. She sighed at a loss of part of herself. Rainbow would miss being high in the air and diving down to impress roaring fans. Well, maybe that last part was never a solid reality.

Wait... Rainbow though. Cats always land on their feet, right? She immediately located a pine tree and rested her paw on the trunk, somehow expecting her paws to carry her up the tree. She waited for a second, feeling rather silly as she just gave a tree a high-hoof. Or is it high-paw, I wonder...

She deduced that her claws should be out. Just as Rainbow had the idea, she felt her claws unsheathe and hit the trunk. Satisfied with 'Step 1', Rainbow Dash realized she would have to get her footing next. She dug her claws into the tree with one paw, and quickly dug the paw diagonal to the one in use's claws into the tree as well. She repeated the clunky motion until she had reached a branch. She leaped from the tree on to the edge of the branch and pulled herself up onto it. Out of breath, she looked down to see how much progress she had made, and shuddered.

The ground was a far way away, and Rainbow realized that she is now a cat that is rescued by the fire ponies; stuck in a tree with no way down. But cats always land on their feet, right? With a deep breath, Rainbow leaped off the branch, careful to fall with her four paws facing the ground. She felt air whiz past her fur as she noticed an increased sense of balance. Swerving her body around in midair, she shifted to an ideal position out of instinct and barely had to think about it. When the impact came, it didn't hurt nearly as bad as it did when she fell out of a tree back in Equestria. Still, Rainbow winced in pain when she got up.

Hearing what she assumed to be Petalpaw returning, she turned around and saw her burst into the clearing, frantically looking around for Rainbow's friends and dropping a frog off of her back in the process. Rainbow Dash was incredibly confused as what changed with Petalpaw's level of caring and why she had a frog.

"Petalpaw," Rainbow meowed, "is something the matter?" Petalpaw ignored the question and rushed over to Twilight, putting her ear to the lavender cat's chest, presumebly checking if there's a heartbeat. Rainbow Dash padded over to her and saw Petalpaw squeeze water out of some moss in to Twilight's ajar jaw. Rainbow felt like a complete moron. So that's how they get water! I guess it was only mentioned 20 times per book, so I can't really feel much shame in forgetting.

Twilight reflexively swallowed the water and let out a groan of pain. This surprised Rainbow, as she though her friends were just unconscious, not in pain. Petalpaw heard the groan as well and mewed softly to Twilight.

"It's okay," she whispered. "I need you to roll over, okay?" More loudly she asked Rainbow Dash, "What happened to your partners that has her in such pain?"

"We sort of... fell."

Petalpaw looked skeptical of Rainbow's admittedly lame excuse. Both of their gazes shifted back to Twilight as she rolled over to her other side. Petalpaw leaned in and she seemed to notice something on Twilight's leg. "Rainbow," Petalpaw called. "I need you to comfort your friend while I fix her leg. It's dislocated currently."

Rainbow couldn't help but feel sorry for her purple pal, but she followed instructions and leaned in to comfort Twilight.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Petalpaw watched as Rainbow padded over to her friend and sit down. She examined the leg more closely, and saw that it was badly bruised as well. She blinked as she realize that Rainbow's suspicious story of having "fell" checks out; this wound was from a serious fall. Quickly, she glanced over to the pink cat laying a few tail-lengths away and noticed no obvious damage to the cat. Petalpaw saw the purple cat raise her head and softly mew Rainbow's name. It seemed odd that she spoke with confusion, as if something was wrong with Rainbow.

"It's okay, Twilight. It's me." At least Petalpaw knew the cat's name now; she had forgotten what Rainbow told her earlier. Rainbow went on, "You're safe. Small thing, I need you to stay strong right now, okay?" Rainbow nodded at the medicine cat apprentice, indicating to go ahead. Flingtail had shown her how to do this once before, when Firpaw had fallen out of a tree a few sunrises earlier. She grasped the leg in her jaw, feeling the warm, bruised skin throbbing, narrowed her eyes, and...

CRRRRZCKK!

Twilight let out a blood-curdling yowl of pain that sounded through the whole clearing as the bone snapped back into place. Twilight sucked in gasps of air as she whispered Rainbow's name. Rainbow's eyes narrowed as she crouched down and determinedly whispered comforting words.

"Twilight..." She breathed, "don't you dare leave me. I need you to stay awake and- HEY!" Rainbow used her paw to lift Twilight's head up. "Don't put your head down! You are going to get through this." Rainbow looked up to Petalpaw as if for support. Petalpaw didn't know what to do. Although letting this cat die would ultimately doom her first prophecy, Petalpaw couldn't promise anything to Rainbow. She looked back with sorrowful eyes. Rainbow's eyes widened, then clawed angrily at the ground.

"No! Twilight- TWILIGHT!" Rainbow let Twilight's head sink into the dirt floor. Moments passed while no cat said a word. Petalpaw wasn't sure that a Warrior from StarClan could help Twilight now; her breaths were getting slower. Rainbow let out a wail of despair.

What was to happen to the prophecy now?

"Hiya!" A high pitched mew sounded in Petalpaw's ear. Petalpaw, jumped out of surprise and turned around. She expected the shrill mew to belong to a kit, but a cat as old as she was faced her. The cat had a pink pelt and a light blue tail, and she instantly realized that this was Rainbow's other friend! What was her name? Pinkie?

"Pinkie! You woke up!" A relieved meow from Rainbow sounded behind her, and Petalpaw spun around to speak to Rainbow.

"Is this your other friend?" She asked. "Why was she passed out?" Pinkie let out a mrrrow of amusement and answered Petalpaw's query.

"I was tired! Traveling between dimensions sure makes you sleepy!" Pinkie lowered onto her back and rolled around, stretching. Petalpaw reflected on Pinkie's wording.

'Traveling between dimensions'? What's a dimension? Is that another name for a twolegplace?

"Pinkie!" Rainbow hissed. "Ix-nay on the imension-day alk-tay!" Petalpaw blinked with confusion.

Are they speaking in code? Petalpaw considered addressing it, but before she could ask Pinkie what she meant she had disappeared out of sight. She looked around until she spotted her beside Twilight. How did I miss her moving? Last time I checked she was rolling around on the ground!

"Twilight! Wake up, silly!" Pinkie stared expectantly at Twilight. Petalpaw considered how to tell her that Twilight's outcome looked bleak, but Rainbow spoke up first.

"Pinkie... I don't think Twilight's going to wake up." Petalpaw looked at Pinkie for a reaction, but Pinkie just purred in amusement.

"Silly Rainbow, she's okay! Look!" Pinkie gestured to Twilight who had lifted her head and looked at Pinkie. Petalpaw gaped. How did Twilight get up? She was barely breathing before, but now she had the strength to lift up her head.

"Pinkie?" The violet cat meowed. "Is that you? So then..."

Twilight surprisingly got up and shook her back leg. Petalpaw was amazed. Twilight shouldn't be alive right now, let alone standing! Twilight looked at her two friends.

"It looks like we all made it!"

Author's Note:

Hey, sorry it took so long.

Anyways, here's chapter 3. You might have noticed I changed the dreadful story description to something longer and more informative. Also, I went back and made very minor corrections to previous chapters. At the end of chapter two, I commented on my inability to write for Pinkie Pie. Well, with time comes experience, and I promise that next chapter as well as others from then on will have Pinkie as the focus for a part of the chapter.

As always, leave any mistakes you happen to find in the comments and I'll fix them while giving credit.

One last thing: this story doesn't feature the same cats as real life. I feel like that has been done too many times, and I couldn't possibly bring anything new to it. Also, Erin Hunter created some of the most complex and interesting characters in all of literature, so I didn't want them butchered here. Not only that, but the sixth series in the Warriors featuring the modern clans is going to arrive in 2016 and I don't want to speculate on the names of the kits nor the fate of the cats.

What this means is that I have four clans worth of warriors, queens, elders, and kits to create names for, so saying that its daunting would be the understatement of the week. Instead, some fans of the warrior series have OCs, just like how fans of MLP have OCs. If you have one, leave it down below, as long as it's not something ridiculous like Firfur or Tooshtail, and I'll consider using them.

That's all, thank you for reading!