• Published 5th May 2015
  • 3,839 Views, 50 Comments

Hidden Spark - EbonyDanger



A dark curse lies upon Twilight. An old foe has chosen the Summer Sun Celebration to return. Using Twilight's body as her host. Can her friends save her, before it is too late?

  • ...
17
 50
 3,839

A strange disease

A sharp dringing sound came into Twilight's ears. Her alarm clock. It was dancing on the tiny table next to her bed. The mare reached out and hit it with her hoof. Immediatley the annoying sound stopped. Twilight sat up in her bed. She was pressing her pillow on her head. „Uuuuhhhh“, she grumbled.

Another night, which hardly had allowed her to sleep. She had been woken up with cries of fright and sobbed herself back into sleep. If you could call this state of terror and unmoveablity sleep. The bad dream was still in her mind. The images, sharp and bright, hurting her eyes, flashed before her mind as she remembered every tiny detail. Celestia, who abandoned her and threw her out of Canterlot, saying she no longer was her student. The thought of leaving Ponyville forever caught her hearth in a firm grip. Being a refugee without friends, without hope, without any support. She shivered.

Come on, Twilight. It was just a dream. The new day awaits. Outside the sun shone through the slit of her carpet. Twilight fought herself out of the bed. Like a wounded animal she creeped down the stairs, her head stretched forwards. Her theeth greeted and she muttered curses. Curse over the sleep. Curse over the morning. Curse over her body. Curse over this strange condition, in which she was. Oh, curse the whole, bloody world!

Spike had already laid the round table, where they had breakfast. Crossiants, bread, salad and an apple. It all looked cute and friendly, but Twilight was not in the mood to say thank you. The tiny, purple dragon turned around. „Hey, Twilight“, he said cheerfully and relaxed, „How have you...?“

„Don't you dare to say it, Mister Sleepsalot“, grumbled Twilight with an angry snort. Spike flinched. His friend looked dreadful. Her mane was uncombed and felty, her face was dull, the eyes gloomed in their caves. Dark rings laid under her eyes and her whole body language spoke of exhaustion. It was even a surprise, that she could still stand.

„What? Another nightmare?“, asked Spike shocked, while Twilight sat down on her chair. With her magic she leviated the teapot and tried to get the drink in her cup. „That is going on for a month now“, said the dragon, while he counted the days off on his claws, „Is it because you work too much? Do you work on a special project? Eh, Twilight“, he added, as he realiced, that the alicorn actually was pouring her tea right next to the cub. Unremarkable he pointed in the direction.

„What?“, asked the mare, before she realized her mistake as well. „Oh, curse it!“ Angrily Twilight dropped her tea pot and hit the table with her chin. „What would I give to have one night without a bad dream“, she complained, „Just one night sleep. Is this asked too much? For Celestia's sake!“

***

Twilight was walking through Ponyville. Her snout almost touched the pages of the book, which floated in front of her. Magical diseases from A to Z. „I do not understand that“, mumbled the purple alicorn, „This symtomps are not mentioned here. Have I eaten something worng? Nightmares, headaches and voices. Do you think, I get schizophrenia, Spike?“

„Eh, Twilight“, the dragon replied. He pulled on her mane to make her look up. Twilight dropped her book.
„Out of my way!“, shouted a familiar voice and then with a fast wushing sound something blue rushed down, circling around her. „Wuhu!“, shouted Rainbow Dash, before she landed in front of the alicorn. Her coloured mane was tousled from the wind.

„Twilight, it is just truly amazing!“, she brusted out, „Spitfire had told me that I shall design a geography for the Wonderbolts on the Summer Sun Celebration and that I will be the main flyer.“ Rainbow jumped once in the air and smiled. „Can you even imagine that? Me as a front flyer in the Wonderbolt team. I mean, I had dreamed about this for like ever. This is totally awesome!“

„Summer Sun Celebration? What?“, asked Twilight, who still was a bit dazzled. She was so tired, that she could not concentrate. She had not really listened to her. The pegasus looked annoyed and a bit angry. Obviously Rainbow Dash had not realized, that Twilight was not in her best status at the moment.

„Twilight...“ Spike pressed his claws against his belly. With a burping sound and a shot of green flames he spat out a perchmant role. The purple mare leviated the letter in front of her and started to read aloud:

„My faithful student Twilight Sparkle,

As it is the tenth anniversary in our new Area of Peace, I have decided that I will held the Summer Sun Celebration at Ponyville. You have shown organicing talents before, therefore I want you to overview the preparations. Your friends have to do some things too. Applejack, I want you to prepare a good buffett for the festival. Rarity, you shall design some dresses for me and the important guests. Pinkie Pie, I'd like you to organice the decoration. Rainbow Dash, you and the Wonderbolts will do an arial number, which you have designed. And Fluttershy, can you and your animals make a nice chorus for the time, before I raise the sun? I rely on you to make sure this day will be perfect.

Yours sincerly, Princess Celestia.“

Twilight took a deep breath. I completely forgot that this year is the hundredth Summer Sun Celebration, scince we defeated Tirek. She rubbed over her forehead. It kept beating like a hearth. The pain was numb, but it was constant and it truly annoyed her. How was she supposed to organice a festival with these bad conditions?

„So“, Rainbow Dash asked, „Is this cool or awesome?“ She sounded really excited and happy, while Twilight looked like someone, who just had bitten into a lemon and now searched for a way to get rid off it, without anyone noticing.
„Yeah“, Twilight said finally fast and hasty, „It is great. Rainbow, can you do me a favour and tell the others their jobs? I have to do something, which cannot wait!“ It was a lousy excuse, but it was better than nothing.

„Alright, Twilight. Bet, I'll have done this within a few seconds. See you!“ And with a fast movement of the wind the blue pegasus dashed away, dragging the glimpsel of light behind her.
Twilight watched, until she was out of sight. With an angry shout the mare declared: „How am I suppose to do all this? For Celestia's sake, I am sick!“ Her head hurt badly at her fast movement of anger and she pressed her hoof against it. „Ouch.“

Spike said: „Well, I do not know, but if I was you, I'd go to visit Zecora. That zebra knows more about herbs than that pony from the flower shop. I am sure, she can give you a tea or a pill against your bad dreams or at least the headache.“
Twilight picked up her dropped book and stuffed it away in her saddleback. „You are right, Spike. If anypony knows something against this disease, than it is her.“

***

„About such a disease, there is no word in my books, but you are invited to take a second look“, said Zecora with her calm, smoky voice. Twilight and Spike were sitting in the hut, which was filled with shelves, full of books, perchament roles, boxes, bottles in every colour and shape, and a big cauldron on the ground.

„Great“, snarled Twilight, „But what am I supposed to do now? The Summer Sun Celebration is in five days and I have to supervise all preparations! What if I make a mistake? What if I miss a detail? What if we do not get finished in time? Princess Celestia will be furious. She relies on me after all.“

Zecora softly touched the alicorn's hoof with her own. „Calm down, my friend. I maybe know a way to make these pains end.“
„Really?“, asked Twilight hopefully. The zebra slowly walked around her shelves and started to open boxes with herbs. She threw them, together with several coloured liquids into the cauldorn. Then the mare bent down. She softly blew against the wood and the fire warmed the cauldorn. Silvery smoke puffed upwards and filled the room, while the zebra used a stick to stir the drug.

„If I work with speed“ - Twilight watched Zecora, filling a darkblue potion into an empty glass bottle - „then I will maybe have, what you need. Here, this little juice will give you a dreamless night, so you won't wake up with a cry of fright.“
The purple mare picked up the bottle and looked at the potion. „Thank you, Zecora“, Twilight said, „I guess, I will leave you know.“

She stuffed the bottle away and walked to the door. The zebra called after her: „Before you go, there is one last advice, I have to give.“ Twilight turned around. Zecora's yellow eyes seemed to burn themselves into her hearth. „What bothers you, is a storm and not a simple brease. You should go to a friend, that will help you to enjoy yourself with ease.“

The alicorn nodded. „Thank you, Zecora. I will try not to worry so much about this.“
Spike nodded as they stepped out of the hut. „I agree with her“, the dragon said, „Maybe you are bothering too much about nothing. One shouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill.“
Twilight sighted. „I just hope, you are right, and I really worry about nonsense.“ She smiled. „At least I will get some good sleep tonight. But now let's go. We have some supervision to do.“