• Published 15th May 2012
  • 8,384 Views, 57 Comments

A Little Nudge - NintendoGal55



The CMC set up Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy

  • ...
5
 57
 8,384

The Set Up

It was Hearts and Hooves Day yet again.

After the attempts of what had happened last year, it was pretty much certain by this point that the Cutie Mark Crusaders were going to avoid matchmaking again. With what happened before, they feared disastrous results yet again.

Even if Big Macintosh and Cheerilee did make a nice pair!

Of course, all of that ended up changing that very same day...

That bring us to our story.

The morning and afternoon during class had gone nicely. The Cutie Mark Crusaders had made a lovely, and still big, card for their teacher, Miss Cheerilee. She of course was yet again very thrilled by how much the girls cared about her. Even if she offhandedly asked if they were going to try to matchmake her again.

“Nope! Not this time!”

“We ain't doin' that again!”

“So we...yeah, what they said!”

Cheerilee smiled warmly. “Thank you, girls. And thank you for the lovely card! You really have been so creative with making these wonderful cards!”

Scootaloo grinned. “What can we say, we care about you that much!”

“An' we wanna make sure you get the best!” Apple Bloom agreed.

“Uh-huh! So we're glad you like it!” Sweetie Belle beamed.

“Thank you again! I hope you three have a lovely Hearts and Hooves Day!” Cheerilee said cheerfully before she turned her attention to another student handing her a card.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders returned to their seats, making themselves comfortable.

“What if we do find two ponies who are perfect for each other?” Sweetie Belle wondered to neither of them in particular. “I know we said we wouldn't...but what if it's too perfect?”

“So long as we don't make a love poison again, who knows!” Scootaloo shrugged. “Hey, maybe we can try to nudge them in the right direction!”

“But didn't we say we wouldn't do that again?” Apple Bloom cautioned.

“We did, but that doesn't mean we can't try in other ways!” Scootaloo declared.

Sweetie Belle nodded. “Yeah! Maybe we can try being more subtle about it, and maybe even try to see if they do like each other!”

Apple Bloom thought about for a moment. “That'd work! Maybe then we can find out which two ponies wanna be special someponies!”

“And we'd be making someponies happy!”

The Cutie Mark Crusaders then slapped a high shoe with their plans set in motion. But the one question remained. Who were they going to set up?

-------------------

After school was out, that was when the three fillies decided to set their plan into action. Out on the town in Ponyville the three of them trotted, eyes on everypony around them.

“Phase One: Seek out potential ponies!” Scootaloo announced. “So, where do we start?”

“How about Sugarcube Corner?” Sweetie Belle suggested. “Ponies are usually there buying all kinds of treats for their special somepony!”

“That'll work!” Apple Bloom relented. “Ah just hope it won't be too crowded that we won't be able to tell who's taken er not!”

“Then let's go, Crusaders!” Scootaloo declared, pointing out the path that would lead them to Sugarcube Corner.

“Awesome!! Cutie Mark Crusaders, to Sugarcube Corner!” The three fillies said in unison before scurrying off.

Upon arriving at the colourful bakery, it was expected that it was quite crowded with all kinds of ponies (especially stallions and colts) buying some Hearts and Hooves baked goods that Pinkie Pie and the Cakes had on special. There was quite a menagerie of treats, ranging from heart-shaped cookies, cupcakes, candies, cakes, pies, and even an assortment of muffins. Rather than sticking in line, the Cutie Mark Crusaders hung around on the sidelines, watching for potential candidates.

“How about Lyra?” Scootaloo pointed to the unicorn in question.

Lyra Hearstrings was curiously inspecting some cupcakes, pondering what kind to get. Moments later, Bon Bon appeared right alongside her, saying something to her. The two ponies giggled happily before purchasing their treats and then leaving, side by side.

“I think...Bon Bon's got that covered.” Sweetie Belle remarked.

“That's out,” Apple Bloom marked it off her check list attached to a clipboard.

“Muffins!” Derpy Hooves immediately beelined to the counter, her crossed golden eyes gleaming.

“Wait for me!” A classmate by the name of Dinky, a unicorn, came scurrying up beside the gray pegasus. “You're too fast, sis!”

Derpy looked down at the little unicorn apologetically before hoisting her up onto her back. “Sorry about that, little sis. I could just smell the muffins from outside! I had to get some before they ran out.”

“Ooh, Derpy the mailmare!” Scootaloo said excitedly. “I think she's still looking for somepony!”

Before Derpy could make a purchase, that was when an Earth pony came up beside the Hooves sisters, smiling warmly as he bought them some muffins and other treats. Dinky squealed with excitement, and Derpy just laughed as she thanked him, her cheeks a dusty rose.

“I think she's with The Doctor...” Sweetie Belle realized.

“Or at least she's gonna be,” Scootaloo groaned. “Cross that one out, Apple Bloom.”

Apple Bloom sighed and did so.

The minutes ticked by at snails pace, as potential candidates grew lesser and lesser. Continuous Nos and Maybes were just about any and all progress they made. Eventually, the crowd dispersed, and the Cakes were cleaning up. Pinkie Pie bounced around, and even queried the Crusaders about what they were up to.

“Ooh, if you're trying to set up a couple of ponies, I'm sure I know who might could fit your criteria!” The confectioner/baker said excitedly, grinning.

“Really?!” Scootaloo grinned. “Someone who wants a special somepony?”

“Has their eye on somepony?” Sweetie Belle made her eyelashes flutter.

“Jus' longin' fer some love?” Apple Bloom said dreamily.

Before Pinkie Pie could respond, the door opened and in walked a familiar creamy yellow pegasus.

“Oh, hello Pinkie Pie...I hope your special sale hasn't ended...”

“Not at all, Fluttershy! We actually still have some left over! Come on and get some, they're half price since the day's not far from over!” Pinkie Pie eagerly led her friend over to the counter. She turned back to the Crusaders and winked. “Looking for anything for a certain somepony?”

“Oh, no. I'm just buying some treats for Angel, and some of my other animal friends,” Fluttershy smiled.

Her words immediately caught onto the three fillies.

“...Fluttershy?” Apple Bloom blinked.

“Well, she definitely doesn't seem to be seeing anypony...” Scootaloo said thoughtfully.

“And she's very sweet, she's a great pony to be with!” Sweetie Belle smiled. “Maybe we should find somepomy for her!”

“Ah agree, it would make 'er happy!” Apple Bloom agreed, her smile growing. “But who're we gonna find fer her? Ah don't recall her ever likin' anypony...”

“There's gotta be somepony for her!” Sweetie Belle clapped her hoof into the other.

“I think it should be somepony who's fast and daring, so that Fluttershy can slow them down and keep them calm! She's the best at that!” Scootaloo surmised.

“Yeah! Somepony who she can take care of, but can still hold their own perfectly fine!” Apple Bloom went on, nodding more and more. “Ah like where this is goin'! What else?”

“Ooh! Somepony who's kind of different from her, and yet would still really connect to her on a deep level, just as Rarity likes to say!” Sweetie Belle said, giggling at the thought.

“Somepony who's awesome!”

“Somepony who's adventurous!”

“Somepony who's fearless!”

Just as they triumphed with a potential somepony for Fluttershy who would meet the qualifications they set up, that just left them wondering the very question of the matter.

“Where are we going to find somepony like that?!” Scootaloo ranted, sighing and facehoofing.

“Ah have no idea! Seems too good to be true!” Apple Bloom complained.

“Great, somepony perfect for Fluttershy and they don't even exists!” Sweetie Belle slumped over sadly.

The three fillies sighed in defeat.

“Not unless her perfect somepony walks in through that door.” Scootaloo sighed.

The door burst open, with none other than Rainbow Dash walking in, grinning widely.

“Hey, Pinks! Set me up with some of those treats!” The cyan Pegasus declared with unbridled glee. She then noticed Fluttershy. But then, unnoticed to the said pegasus, visibly lit up. That did not go unnoticed to the other ponies. “Hey, Fluttershy! What're you doing around here?”

“Oh, just getting some treats for my animals, and angel too.” Fluttershy giggled, smiling warmly at her best friend. “How about you, Rainbow Dash?”

“Getting some treats, a gift from to me from myself! Because I accomplished a new trick today, so I of course decided it would be high time to treat my awesomeness!” Rainbow Dash protruded her chest proudly, grinning.

Fluttershy gave a laugh. “Oh, good for you, Dashie! I'm so happy for you!”

“Heh, thanks, pal!” Rainbow Dash brohoofed her with a grin.

“Here you go, ladies!” Pinkie Pie handed them each a paper bag, grinning. “Now eat 'em up and enjoy them! They always taste better on Hearts and Hooves Day!”

“Awesome! Thanks, Pinks!” Rainbow Dash took the bag into her mouth. She noticed the three Crusaders and smiled. “Hey, squirts! See ya later!” She then flew out of the bakery.

“Thank you, Pinkie...I'll see you later...” Fluttershy smiled then at the fillies as well. “Oh! Hi, girls! I hope you have a lovely day, of course. Goodbye now...be good!” She trotted out of the bakery as well.

Meanwhile the Cutie Mark Crusaders were just slack-jawed by this point. Unable to say a single word. Pinkie Pie seemed to pick up on it and giggled as she cleared away some of the treats into containers to save for later. The minutes continued to tick by as the pink Earth pony happily cleared things up, humming happily all the while. She then disappeared into the kitchen for a minute or two.

Upon returning, this time with a washcloth in hand to wipe the counters, she looked to the Cutie Mark Crusaders with a grin.

“What's up with you, sillies? You've been quiet for five minutes!” She grinned. “Something on your minds?”

Sweetie Belle was first to talk as she smiled brightly in a way that clearly indicated she had an idea. “Oh! I know exactly who to set up with Fluttershy! It should be Rainbow Dash!”

“Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo repeated with wide eyes. The idea of her idol being paired up with someone as different as Fluttershy was pretty surprising. “Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy?”

“Oooohh!! Wouldn't they make such a cute couple?!” Pinkie Pie agreed, bouncing over to the fillies. “They're perfect for each other!”

“Ah agree! Rainbow Dash is just the kinda pony for Fluttershy!” Apple Bloom nodded vigorously. “She meets all the criteria!”

“Yeah, and they're best friends, they knew each other a long time!” Sweetie Belle swooned.

“Well...now that I think of it....” Scootaloo said thoughtfully. “I guess Rainbow Dash might really like having Fluttershy taking care of her! And she is all of those awesome things!”

“Then we're agreed! Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy on Hearts and Hooves Day!” Sweetie Belle cheered.

“Phase One: Complete! Now we move to Phase Two!” Scootaloo smirked, rubbing her hooves.

“Awright!” Apple Bloom bounced happily, but then realized something. “Wait...what's phase two?”

“Um....we haven't thought that far.” Scootaloo said sheepishly.

-------------

A little later, when they finally had Phase Two figured out, they set out to put that plan into action. Phase Two was to get both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy together in the same area, alone. Much like last year, they set up a romantic picnic beneath the gazebo. The very same place from last year, in fact. A red checkered blanket, some plates, a couple of glasses of apple juice, and some goods they bought from the market. Lettuce, daisy, tomato and pickle sandwiches, apple fritters, crackers, muffins, and a Couple's Cake (provided by Pinkie Pie). Along with that were two candles to really help set the romantic mood.

Along with that were little placemats as well. One with a rainbow design, and the other a print of butterflies.

“Awesome!” Scootaloo declared with a grin. “If this picnic doesn't say romantic, I don't know what will!”

“They're going to love it!” Sweetie Belle crooned. “I'm so excited, I can't wait to see the looks on their faces!”

“Ah have a feelin' it'll sweep 'em away!” Apple Bloom agreed, and turned to look over her shoulder down one path. “Awright, Rainbow Dash is comin' that way!”

“And Fluttershy's coming the other way!” Sweetie Belle confirmed, looking down the other path.

The Crusaders gathered in wait, just as Rainbow Dash came up to them. She even had her coach hat, with a whistle on a string around her neck.

“Hey, squirts! Sorry I'm a bit late, had to find my hat!” She laughed a bit. “So, are you ready to learn some tricks?”

“Well, um...yeah! Just uh...” Scootaloo glanced over her shoulder. “Oh look, here comes Fluttershy!”

“Oh, hello girls!” Fluttershy greeted upon arriving at the spot. “So, what animal did you find that you wanted me to help you identify?”

“Um...well, it was this one here!” Apple Bloom pointed over to a squirrel sitting close by.

Fluttershy looked a bit confused, her brow lowering. “Um...Apple Bloom, that's a squirrel.”

“Oh, what do you know!” Sweetie Belle said loudly. “And look, there's this really nice picnic all set up!”

“Aww, shucks, only room for two!” Apple Bloom played along, winking at the Crusaders. “No matter, we don't mind y'all takin' it!”

“Yeah! So you guys sit here, enjoy the evening and have a nice picnic!” Scotaloo agreed, grinning to the two confused pegasi.

“We'll just leave you alone!” Sweetie Belle said brightly.

The three of them dashed off.

Sweetie Belle came back, turning on the phonograph, before running off again.

Which was of course, to hide in the bushes some ways off. Yet again, leaving the two pegasi alone.

Rainbow Dash, feeling nervous, looked around a bit, unsure of what to do or what to say. “Um....well, uh...heh...kinda...nice of 'em to do...something like that...heh?” She rubbed the back of her head sheepishly, taking off her hat.

“Um...oh, yes....certainly...” Fluttershy looked down a bit shyly, blushing a bit. “Um...it's a...very nice evening...isn't it?”

“Oh, uh, yeah! Yeah! Of course it is...um, us weather patrol ponies made sure of that!” Rainbow Dash tried to grin, but it was clearly very awkward.

“Yes...wonderful...” Fluttershy shifted on her hooves a bit before finally looking at her best friend, cutely tilting her head. “Um...so...any...plans, Rainbow Dash?”

“Huh? Oh, no. Not really.” Rainbow Dash shrugged. “You?”

“Um...no....” Fluttershy shook her head.

Their gazes met, locked in a moment together.

Meanwhile, in the bushes, the Cutie Mark Crusaders watched them both like hawks. Eager, waiting for them to do something. To say something! Anything to get their plan moving along! So far, nothing was happening, much to their dismay.

“Come on, Rainbow Dash! Ask her to be your special somepony!” Scootaloo hissed.

“Or ya can do it, Fluttershy!” Apple Bloom pleaded.

“Oh my gosh, look!” Sweetie Belle gasped, grinning eagerly.

Gasping, they could now see what was happening, that broke any dismay they had moments ago.

The two pegasi were now leaning closer to each other, eyes locked, neither of their gazes wavering. Closer...

The Cutie Mark Crusaders looked on with eager, big smiles, their eyes wide and sparkling with joy.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy leaned closer to each other, with the latter's eyelids lowering a little bit as she smiled, blushing a bit. Even Rainbow Dash was blushing a bit too, a little smile quirking at her lips.

“Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash said softly.

“Yes?” Fluttershy murmured in response.

Anticipating, the smiles grew wider on the three fillies as they waited, waited for Rainbow Dash to just come out and say it, to ask Fluttershy to be her special somepony. The moment was so close, so close they could practically taste it. Hearts pounding, eyes sparkling with readied tears, they waited, waited for the magical moment to become reality.

Rainbow Dash squinted lightly, as if concentrating, and then pulled back. “You have something stuck in your mane, I think it's a leaf.”

“Oh!” Fluttershy raised a hoof to her mane to try to find it.

“OH, COME ON!” Yelled Sweetie Belle as she popped out of the bushes a distance away. Scootaloo popped up and pulled her back down.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy stared off toward the bushes, eyes wide and brows quirked, before facing each other and laughing a bit.

“Well, that was weird.” Rainbow Dash snickered, shaking her head.

“Yes...weird....” Fluttershy agreed sheepishly. “Well, um...I guess I'd better get going...um...I'll see you later, I suppose...”

“Yeah...um...well...” Rainbow Dash looked at the picnic. “It does look kinda nice, and I'm starved...what do you say, Fluttershy? Let's just humour them.”

The Cutie Mark Crusaders gaped.

“Oh, well...I certainly don't mind that...I mean...it would be nice to spend time together...” Fluttershy smiled a bit more, her cheeks flushed. “And it does look delicious...”

“All right! Well I'll just...uh...turn off that sappy music over here...” Rainbow Dash sauntered over to the phonograph, turning it off. “And um...those candles? Really?”

“I don't mind, we can leave them.” Fluttershy went and sat down at one end on the blanket.

“...Well, okay then...” Rainbow Dash conceded, sitting across from her on the blanket. “So hey, let's eat! I'm starved!”

The Cutie Mark Crusaders watched as the two pegasi got to eating the food, talking amongst themselves and sharing some laughs. They weren't sure whether to feel triumphant, or defeated.

“Was it not romantic enough?” Sweetie Belle wondered.

“Or too romantic?” Scootaloo muttered.

“Well...at least we got 'em to eat together...” Apple Bloom tried to reason. “So what we do now?”

“Guess we try Phase Three.” Scootaloo shrugged a bit.

“What's Phase Three?” Sweetie Belle queried.

-----------------

Yes, I know that a lot of fans like to make Dinky Derpy's daughter, and I have nothing against that at all! I guess I just wanted to try the alternative of making them sisters. That's all!

And yes, this will be FlutterDash shipping. :D It just won't turn out the same way as the episode. Although Love Poison induced FlutterDash would be hilarious! XD

So, stay tuned for part two!