• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 1,481 Views, 78 Comments

The People's Republic of Twilightlicious - GeodesicDragon



Twilight Sparkle has been given control of her very own nation, and now she has to learn how to lead it — while at the same time trying to prevent one of her new neighbours from invading Equestria.

  • ...
3
 78
 1,481

Interlude: Zombie Invasion - Outbreak

Twilight walked in silence, following Raymond down a dimly lit corridor deep underneath the Capital Building. No words were exchanged between the two, as the serious look on their faces were more than enough to convey the seriousness of the situation.

"This way, Princess." Raymond struggled for a moment to open a heavy steel door. "The rest of the regional leaders are ready to communicate via video link from their respective capitals."

Twilight smiled weakly and walked into the room. It was windowless, the only light coming from a small lamp on a table in the middle of the tiny space, as well as three large screens on the wall. On one screen, the worried faces of Celestia and Luna of the Equestrian Paradise looked on solemnly. On another, a tired looking Jock Wallace of Insignificance was talking to someone. But on the third screen, only an empty room could be seen.

"Take a seat, Princess," Raymond said. Twilight and the others did as he asked. "All right, everybody, we're here."

"Good to see you, Raymond," Jock said. "You as well, Princess Twilight. I trust you have been briefed on the situation?"

"I have," Twilight replied. "I never thought that zombies would actually exist, but I guess I was wrong." She shuddered. "Now, what is being done to contain the situation?"

"The Equestrian Paradise and Insignificance are attempting to research a cure for our respective citizens," Celestia said. "Progress is slow, and new infections are being reported by the hour. All the regional borders have been closed in an attempt to contain the spread of the virus which is causing this."

"I see." Twilight nodded. "I have also ordered my scientists to work on a cure, so perhaps we could share our knowledge?"

Luna smiled. "A wonderful idea," she said. "As long as this link stays active, we can help each other advance our research. Who knows, we might even come up with a cure in record time."

"A cure?" Geo's voice came through the speakers of the third monitor. "I've already got a cure, as it happens."

"You do?" Jock asked. "Well for Violet's sake, man, tell us!"

Geo came into view, brandishing an assault rifle. He patted it gently and looked at the camera. "Here's your cure," he spat. "I have ordered my military to exterminate any and all zombies." He grinned. "In fact, I've even went so far as to drop a couple of nukes on one of the infected areas."

"Don't you care about your people?" Twilight asked.

"Hell, no!" Geo shouted. "If they were stupid enough to get themselves infected, then they deserve to die."

"You're a madman, Geo." Jock hung his head and sighed.

"Indeed," Celestia added. "Surely, with all your research and development departments, you would be able to come up with a more humane way to deal with this crisis?"

Geo rolled his eyes. "'Humane' is how you hippies deal with things," he snarled. "Here in the real world, we deal with our problems in a more realistic way — by bombing them back to the Stone Age."

"In the 'real' world, people have this thing called 'compassion.'" Jock looked up slowly. "You should try it some time."

"But I am being compassionate," Geo shot back. "I'm giving the infected a quick death... albeit by nuclear vaporisation."

Jock went to speak, but was interrupted by Luna.

"Just leave it, Jock," she said. "There is no arguing with him."

"Geo," Twilight said. "If you are not going to contribute anything worthwhile to this discussion, please leave. We will deal with the problem our way, and you can deal with it your way." She looked him straight in the eyes and grinned. "Just don't come crying to us when you realise you have no-one left to oppress."

Geo waved a hand at her dismissively and stood up to leave the room, the signal terminating as he did so. Twilight sat back in her seat, as Raymond started clapping.

"Wow!" he exclaimed. "You've got guts, Princess, standing up to him like that. None of us have ever had the courage."

"I've dealt with his kind before," Twilight replied. "But enough about the mad plans the Apocalypse has, we've got people to save." She stood up and faced the two remaining screens. "Let us double our efforts and come up with a cure — the lives of millions are depending on the research we are undertaking."

Celestia, Luna and Jock nodded determinedly and stood up, all three of them disappearing from sight. As the last one left, Twilight looked at the ceiling and sighed.

"It's going to be a long night..."

Author's Note:

Every Halloween, NationStates has a zombie apocalypse. Nations can choose to deal with the problem in one of three ways: Exterminate the zombies, find a cure or just accept their doom.

The event will end in 36 hours, and I hope to release two more chapters related to it. The next one will showcase the results of the attempt to find a cure, and the final one will be the aftermath.

I should point out that nations cannot share research with each other. I'm just saying they can for narrative's sake. Also, 'Violet' is the NS equivalent of 'God.'