• Published 13th May 2012
  • 8,590 Views, 74 Comments

Shattered Reflections - Stalin the Stallion



Metus, Spirit of Knowledge, casts Twilight into alternate reality.

  • ...
6
 74
 8,590

Schrei 1: Sehnsucht

Above the Ethereal Plane, the skies are locked in eternal twilight; beneath it lies an endless field of blackness and shadow. Here in the Ethereal Plane there are no gods, only beings – or rather a being.

This being was the sovereign of knowledge, a hater of idiots, a crusader against ignorance, and for four Terran years running, the wielder of destiny. He sat upon a gilded throne of ravens within a monolithic black slab of solidified magic, the building floating as if trying to escape into space, only to be held down by the titanic chains which bound its holy power to the Ethereal Plane.

Before his gilded throne stood a massive complex of books that stretched on farther than the eye could see in either the directions of up, forwards, backwards, and down. This was a very specific level of the Ethereal Plane: The Library of Babel. Every book ever written by any species or any language found its way here.

And it was upon this throne that the being sat, reading a very particular book. “Well, these books are sorted out,” he mumbled, levitating a collection of thick tomes to their shelves. “Plus ten points, librarian me.” The librarian, the sovereign of knowledge, was vaguely hominid but built like a spider. His large, white skull-head lacked any ears or a nose, instead a pair of ghastly and hollow eyes stood neighbor to a huge, maniacal grin. To be precise, he didn’t have a mouth either; all he truly had were his eyes, his mouth having been painted on some time ago in an epoch that not even he fully remembered.

He stood up, then began slowly strolling down the corridors of his library, still reading his book, his dark blue cape making no noise as it followed him. Moving to a stand, he began to walk on his satyr-like legs. “Lykófoos Lámpsi,” he mumbled.

The librarian put a his spidery index finger and thumb to the visor of his hat, tipping it slightly as to tighten it. With a flair of his left hand, a small portal opened up on a blank wooden wall, its image swirling until it finally settled on a pony on one level of the Plane of Reality.

“Carry the one. Divide by...” he muttered, taking furtive glances between his portal, his book, and a house-sized crystal ball floating just to his left. “Yes, that would make sense. But what about ‘The Divine Comedy’?”

Shaking his head, he flipped to the next page of his book. “No, no, that would conflict with Joseph Conrad’s... And then there Qizzugoln’s ‘The Preeminence of the Ghojkin Race’... Hello, what’s this?” He gestured his left index and middle fingers at the portal. The image swirled about as if it were a camera attached to a fly, revealing five other ponies standing next to the original one, all of which were mares.

The librarian's eyes sparkled like a thousand suns glistening off the surf. “Well, if it isn’t meine Götterdämmerung? Du kleine Puppe.” His eyes darted about her body as if either a starving predator or a mentally-unwell stalker. He chuckled. “Yes, yes of course it would be you. Fate’s book knows only too well.” He glanced down at his book, flipping to another page seemingly at random.

“You would think being the Element of Magic would destroy your anonymity, but not so.” The librarian put a spindly hand to his chin. “And yet nopony seems to remember you; they are only too happy to return to their peaceful and happy lives, forgetting the horrors which you dispel. Such a shame.”

“Look at me, talking to myself,” he chuckled. “Me, the Spirit of Knowledge, talking to myself... again. Good job, Metus. You really know how to be sane. I mean, it’s not you like you actually have a mouth. You’re literally just thinking out loud.” Shaking his head, Metus flipped to another page of his book as he eyed his crystal ball. “You know? I think you’ve just given me an idea.”

Metus turned his attention to the book once more. “Fate, you were so pretty, and it was only right that you had to die at the hands of mortals. Well now, my precious Fate, you know what to do, no?” A pause. “And I do not regret the part of my soul I gave for you or your book, for now I have the holiest of holies: the powers of two divine spirits.” He closed the book, slowly sliding his hand across the book’s cover. “And now, my pretty Puppe pony, you will be the first final piece in my gambit. And like the blind witches of Perseus, I hold your life’s string in my grasp. And my other hand wields a pair of scissors. If only Nevermore were here. Then again, he’s the one who knows where to send you. I’m sure you’ll get to meet him.”

Steeling himself, his heart racing with excitement, he flipped the book open to a seemingly random page. There, floating above the page, was three-dimensional image of Twilight Sparkle. Metus balled his left hand into a fist. Jerking the palm open, another portal next to Twilight’s opened on the blank wall, this new one a dark forest.

The librarian smiled, or at least he would have if he had a mouth. “I do hope that Bruder Keeper doesn’t mind me stepping on his domain.” He chuckled. “But yes, you’ll do nicely. And with my scissors sublime, I cast ye into the grime.” Metus grabbed the three-dimensional image of Twilight, crushing it in his fist. “The way we work – let’s go berserk. Without you, what would be of your country, I asked so bluntly.” He unfurled his fist, pointing it in the direction of the second portal. “Let’s see what it’s all about; we shall find out!”

A pause. “Begebe Dich in meine Hand; folge mir ins Wunderland!”

***

Drip, drop – the cold sting of water on a glacial night. A lone bead of water, born of condensation, lurched down a tree. It dripped of its mother leaf, hitting leaf after leaf until it entered freefall. The droplet impacted the left cheek of a mare lying beneath the tree.

The mare shivered as her eyes opened with an agonizing slowness to face the night above her. She moaned as a sharp icicle of pain raced through her legs for the briefest of instances.

Twilight licked her lips, her throat dry enough to make her cough. Head almost imperceivably trembling, she raised her eyes to the sky above, only to to have it choked out by a sizable oak tree above her, its bark almost indistinguishable from the rows of moss and lichen on its side.

Her left forehoof traced her jaw line until it hit her bangs; they were drenched by the tendrils of morning dew. Twilight’s mouth cracked open by the slightest of margins as she groaned, “Where?”

She coughed hard as she rolled onto her stomach, forcing herself to her four legs. In her haste and by the shadows of the oak leaves, she completely missed the alien figure standing in the tree above her.

High above in the tree was a particularly spider-like spirit, his painted face still locked in a maniacal grin, who watched her stand up. His horse-like tail idly swayed back and forth as he held himself in the tree by his spindly arms and hands.

“Where am I?” Twilight mouthed, her voice box not properly understanding that she wanted to use it. Before her stood endless rows of wild trees, their canopies so thick as to deny the moonlight access to the forest floor. Each tree was wreathed by either vines, lichen, or moss of all shapes and colors.

Twilight swallowed the thought to scream as she watched a firefly buzz by. The bug was soon joined by hundreds of its kind, each blinking with their orange lights as she found herself transfixed by them. The quiet song of cicadas and crickets tore the silence of the night asunder as they sang for their chance to find love.

Her body froze up, threatening to leap into the air as a something groaned to her right. Jerking her head to the side, Twilight saw the body of Spike lying on his front. “Spike‽”

Spike cocked an eye open. “Five more minutes.” He brought a claw to his purple scaly back, scratching at the dirt rather than himself.

“Wake up, Spike!”

“Aww, but these leaves are... Wait, leaves... Leaves‽” As if launched by a spring, Spike leapt to his feet. “What the hay‽ Twilight, where are we‽” His breaths became heavy and fast until they morphed into full blown hyperventilation.

“Calm down, Spike! I don’t know, just calm down.”

High above in the tree, Metus smiled – or at least he would have if he had a mouth. His right leg swayed in the air, just waiting to be spied by either of his two puppets below.

“How can you not-” Spike cut himself off to take a deep breath. And then another. “Twilight, please think. Where are we?”

Twilight licked her lips as she glanced about. “I... I think we’re in the Everfree Forest, Spike.”

“‘Ya think?” he intoned.

“Well, you asked!”

“It’s obvious we’re in the Everfree Forest, just look at those mushrooms!” He gestured to a large mushroom, its cap about as big as he was tall. “That’s native to the Everfree, duh.”

She gritted her teeth. “A; how do you know that? B; why’d you ask if you already knew?”

He shrugged as he put his hand to his forehead. “I can read too, ya know. I’ve looked over your shoulder more than once. And to answer your second question: because I don’t know where in the forest we are.” Twilight groaned, putting a hoof to her face in the universal of frustration: the facehoof. “So, Twi, how’d we get here?”

“I... I don’t know.” A pause. “I-we were in our bed, then...” She shrugged. “I dunno.”

Spike bit his bottom lip. “Any chance you casted a teleport spell in your sleep?”
A sudden realization painted itself on Spike’s face. Twilight bit down on her tongue, an acute blush on her cheeks. “I’ve heard unicorns can do it... Lemme think. It was called ‘nocutral em-”

“No!” she barked. Spike gave her an oblong glance. “Look, alright, that’s more of a... a pubescent kinda... Can we not talk about this now? I’ll explain what causes it when you’re older, hm?”

“Why so defensive?”

She swallowed. “Well, being how proficient I am with magic, I, uh... Let’s just say I went through a turbulent phase of that, kay?” Spike continued to give her a blank stare. “I, uh, I once turned Princess Celestia pink... while I-I was still asleep... I don’t want to talk about my other times.” Spike blinked, then fell onto his back in a fit of laughter. “It’s not funny, Spike!”

It took a solid minute for Spike to cease his guffaw. “So, uh, can you teleport us back, hm?”

Twilight shook her head, frowning. “I can’t. A teleport needs to work by knowing two things: where you are, and where you're going – both in exact relation to us.”

“Great, so what now?”

“I don’t know,” she replied with a shrug.

Spike scratched at his chin as he gazed up at the tree, oblivious to the divine being watching back. “I got an idea...” He flexed his left hand, his claws waving in response. Grunting, he slammed his claws into a tree; he did the same with his other claw, his left foot, then his right. Soon he was climbing up the tree. “If I can get to the top of his tree, maybe we can find a way out!”

“Spike, be careful!” she called up.

“Will be!”

The ground equidistant to the tree’s top, Spike heard a voice: “Well, hello there, dragon.” His body froze, refusing to obey him. “Die Monde ziehen an ihm vorbei. Über Meere Berg und Seen – Wie land soll seine Reise gehen?” Forcing his neck to twist, he angled his face to the spidery being. Spike’s eyes trailed up its long, spindly arms, which both had two elbows to support the gangly appendages; the way its body was colored, painted with uneven and jagged stripes of blue, darker blue, and white, made Spike shiver. And it didn’t help when it physically picked Spike up and tossed him back to the ground, making sure he hit every tree branch along the way to that he wouldn’t die.

“Spike‽” Twilight gasped, but just then a voice bellowed from behind her.

“Strangers in the forest! Assume hostile!” Jerking her head to the sound, Twilight came face-to-face with three changelings, each clad in a thick suit of carapace armor. Their bodies made clicking, screeching noises as they charged at her from the underbrush of a nearby tree.

Behind Twilight, somepony galloped up. “Hold fast, stranger! You shall not stand alone!” he called out in a deep but smooth voice.

Another voice, a mare, chimed in with, “Liberty Eternal!”

“Twilight, what’s going on‽” Spike shouted.

“I don’t know!” she replied, her heart punching her in the ribs.

The forest floor exploding like a bomb, Twilight moved her four legs as best she could. With a hiss, the largest and nearest changeling dove skyward, its wings vibrating the air like a swarm of killer bees.

An insectoid hiss tore through the air as the changeling barreled towards where Twilight and Spike had been only seconds ago. Somewhere up in the tree, Metus observed the exchange, his eyes glistening with something akin to chaotic joy.

Spike and Twilight’s eyes were utterly blindsided by the sight of a light-grey stallion bursting out of the underbrush. With a clunk of his steel armor, Twilight’s skull collided with him, sending Spike catapulting into the air, only to be reeled back in by grabbing fiistfuls of Twilight’s mane.

“‘Ello, mawther,” the stallion greeted. With a somewhat forceful push on his part, Twilight was shoved to the ground. His steel-clad legs bounded over her as his body rammed the attacking changeling.

“Mac’s Raiders!” another changeling barked, its voice as squeaky as a balloon. “Shout the alarums!”

“It’s ‘alarms’, ya madhead!” the stallion barked, bashing a forehoof into the first changeling's eye. “And it’s the 201st Recon to you!”

The second changeling inhaled a titanic breath of air, larger than any breath should logically be. Air filling his lungs beyond the breaking point, he let out a shrill howl, a strident caw, and a sharp hiss all at once.

Twlight, her body pressed into the mulch and leaves, shoved her hooves into her ears, a vain effort to dam the sound from perforating her ears. She felt air shooting out of her lungs, only to realize that it was her own screams – and she hadn’t even known she had been.

And then it hit her: the sudden thundering of wings. It was a sound she had heard only once before. And she knew what it meant – a swarm of changelings.

“Berry, where’d ya go?” the stallion asked. “Aw, bugger me.” Glancing down at the felled Twilight, he forcefully grabbed her, forcing her to her hooves. “Come on, do ya wanna live forever?”

“What’s going on?” Twilight demanded, Spike groaning from his position on her back. As if the forest were alive, every dark nook and cranny in the surrounding bushland light up with innumerable pairs of glowing teal eyes.

He rolled his eyes. “Well ya ain't gotta be a misery-guts, ya minty moos.”

“What does that even mean‽”

The stallion sighed. “Since we’re going to die here, mind tellin’ me yer moniker? Mine’s Lucky.”

“Are you insane‽” she snarled.

“Absobloodylutely, mawther!” A momentary pause. “Anyroad, don’t suppose I could get a kiss for at least trying to save the damsel in distress?” Lucky prodded.

“What‽”

“Well, I tried. Girls! Smoky! Lady, abyssinia!”

At Lucky's command, two mares leapt from the bushes. The foremost one had a coat and mane that resembled a crushed cherry and came with a complementary cutie mark; the latter was a direct mirror of the first, save for her mane and coat palette's being reversed with the former’s.

“Ready, Lucky!” they chirped in unison as they threw cherrybomb-like balls at the ground. All at once two things happened: the ground around Lucky and Twilight exploded into a white smoke, and the changelings charged at the ponies, murder in their eyes.

“Exit, stage left,” Lucky said, dashing into the thick cloud of white.

Twilight couldn’t even see her eyelashes in the smoke, the smell of chalk filled her nose, the roar of changeling wings deafened her, and the peppering of smoke covered her body like a murderous blanket. She opened her mouth to speak, only to have it forced close as he nearly vomited out the taste of the smoke, her attempts to speak being replaced by a raged and poorly suppressed cough.

“Maybe you should come this way, lady!” Lucky called out.

Spike dug his claws into the back of her neck. “Twilight, run!”

“Spike, where‽” Twilight coughed.

“I don’t care!” He grabbed a fistful of her mane, jerking it to the left as though it were a rein. “That way!”

Hooves erupting into a frenzied flurry, Twilight charged like a mare on a mission through the smoke and haze. Time seemed to flow down, everything becoming a blur of indistinguishable colors mixed with the constant rumbling buzz of the changelings. Each hoofstep. Each second. Each moment. Each heartbeat. A part of Twilight thanked Celestia that she had chosen to go to bed without drinking any water beforehoof lest her bladder betray her.

In the blink of an eye, Twilight’s life flashed before her eyes as her right hindleg found itself ensnared by a root. The grab forced her to the ground, stomping the wind out of her lungs and leaving her gasping for air on nigh useless lungs.

“No!” Twilight shrieked in a voice that was half anguish and half a dying howl.

Twilight, no, no, no, no!” Spike pleaded to On High, leaping off his friend, doing his best to claw at the would-be root. The smoke smothered Twilight like quicksand.

“Spike, run!” Twilight begged.

“I’m not leaving you here! I’m not letting them suck your love away!”

“Please, Spike, just go!” she ordered, lifting him into the air with her magic, trying to toss him from her.

“No!” he snarled, clawing at the root for both Twilight's sake and his refusal to be torn away. “Tear! Tear! Tear! Why won’t you tear‽” he cried, tears welling in his serpent-like eyes.

With a roar not unlike a hurricane, the cloud of ashes scattered to the four corners, replaced by the hounding eyes of the swarm. They just hovered there, their task of clearing the cloud completed with due haste. Both Spike and Twilight fell still, their eyes consuming the telltale sight before them. There was no way out. There was only eternal servitude as a slave to the changeling swarm.

Unaffected by the battle, Metus sat in his oak tree, observing the hopeless look on Twilight’s face. “Aww, come on, Twilight Sparkle. Or do I have to bring her in?” Nothing happened. “Fine.” Something large beat its wings. “Ah, I have the perfect sense of timing, don’t I?”

Every last changeling’s wings furled to their sides as they took to the brush, all but a few disappearing as soon as they arrived.

“Well, well, well. Now would you look at what we’ve got here?” asked a decidedly female voice. Twilight and Spike jerked their heads around to face a true monster: the Queen of the changelings herself. Twilight squeaked, cowering against her own body. Spike grimaced at the monster, doing his best to look intimidating, a look which Twilight then tried and failed to parrot.

Her body was tall and sleek like a corrupted version of Aphrodite – taking all of her mythical perfections and twisting and strangling them until all that was left was the vampiric abomination before her. Her wings were like a bee’s, and her eyes hollow and soulness. And yet her body was a magnificent canvas of finest lumber; her “flesh” bearing the texture of tree bark, its grooves like an alpine ski slope. Then were was the jagged, malformed, and vaguely gnarled horn on her head that reeked of the molestation of all that was pure and holy. The decidedly feminine creature smelled like the most erotic of pheromones, like a succubus; it was easy to imagine how such a creature had once seduced her brother, borrowing into his mind like corpse maggots, into allowing her minions to swarm Canterlot.

“And to what do I own the pleasure?” the being questioned, a hint of sadistic amusement in her otherwise neutral tone.

Spike swallowed hard, spreading his arms out like a T before Twilight. “No,” he growled, a tide of emerald flames building up in his throat.

The ‘mare’ smiled. “Oh, and what do we have here? A dragon youngling. How unorthodox. Well, no matter. When you’re not busy raiding my sovereign holdings, you outsiders make for an excellent fuel.”

“W-w-what are you even doing here, changeling?” Twilight demanded, putting on her best brave face.

“I have a name, you know. And while you ponies might relegate me to little more than an emotional vampire and parasite, I would urge you to address me as ‘Queen’. I am Chrysalis, Queen of the Swarm.”

“B-but how are you even... I watched you... You were... How can...?” Twilight stammered.

The Queen rolled her eyes. “If you can’t bother to speak, then perhaps you shan’t require a tongue, hmm?”

“So much as try that and I’ll turned you into a campfire,” Spike hissed.

From his perch, Metus chuckled. Holding a bag of movie popcorn in one hand, Metus grabbed a handful and tossed it into his mouth, only for it to bounce off his face and tumble two stories to the ground. “Oh, yeah, right. I don’t have a mouth,” he mumbled. “Oh, well...”

“That so?” Chrysalis laughed. “Then allow me to enlighten you as to how we changelings deals with illegal intruders and invaders such as yourselves: we offer them a sword to match ours, we offer them the chance to renounce their sins, and if all else fails, we encase them in a chrysalis and feed off their very soul.” Her eyes scanned over Twilight. “Your magic is sword enough, thus you’ve no need of my sword. So I offer you the chance to renounce your sins. A chance to be assimilated into the swarm.”

Twilight’s pupils dilated to the size of saucer pans. “Assimilate...?”

“How dumb can you be? I am harsh but fair. Renounce your sins; renounce your allegiance to either Discord, Nightmare Moon, or Macintosh, whomever you swear fealty to – I can seldom tell the difference between you ponies.”

Twilight blinked. “Say what?”

“If you are that dumb, then I must insist that I make the choice on your behalf. You are to be our subject; we shall remove all want, all desire, and make you part of a greater whole. It is the price of penance. It is the best you’ll get in these dark times. Trust me, I’m honestly doing you a favor.” She took a step towards Twilight. Spike’s maw began to seep flames, not shooting it, just leaking it to show he could. Chrysalis took a sharp inhale through her nose.

“Back. Away. From. Her. You. Harlot,” Spike growled.

The Queen chuckled. “How do I put this as you ponies would?” She tapped a hoof to her chin. “Aw, yes, I should word it like that prayer your ponies do when you beg for the sun. My kingdom come, my will be done. And-” Chrysalis took another deep breath, her face contorted with something akin to abject horror. “By the Ethereal Realms! You’re tainted! You’re infected by the Nightmare Eternal!”

“What?” Twilight and Spike stammered in unison.

Chrysalis reared onto her mind legs as if spooked. “You’re tainted by the night! Flee! She's infected! Infected!”

Within the blink an eye, the changeling swarm turned tail and barreled into the forest. Twilight and Spike’s jaw fell ajar, their eyes oozing incomprehension. “Tainted by the night,” they both mumbled.

***

Twilight splashed cold water on her face, pausing to stare at her reflection: her mane twisted and gnarled, her face hammered by dirt and muck, her eyes bloodshot, her knees shaking like a newborn’s. She dunked her forehooves back into the pond, splashing more of the liquid onto her disheveled self.

In her reflection, she watched as the beads of liquid drained down her face, the blooms of said fluid plopping into the water below. Which droplets were sweat and which were the splashed water she didn’t know.

She felt a claw grab at her left foreleg as Spike said, “Twilight? Shouldn’t the sun have risen by now?” Twilight’s eyes remained fixed on her broken, shattered reflection; a part of her could hardly believe the dirty, disheveled mare that looked back was herself. “Twi’?”

Jerking her head to Spike, she eyed him and all of his scratched scales. “Yeah?”

Spike took a step back, rubbing his right knuckles with his left claw. “Where’s the sun? Shouldn’t it have risen by now?”

Twilight blinked hard. “I... I don’t know. I didn’t think about that. Maybe it’s still too early.”

His lips pursed to the side. “But we went to bed at eight. I remember dreaming, so I must have been asleep long enough for that... uh, REM sleep... or whatever..”

She nodded. “So you do read those books I give you.”

“I, uh, well... Okay, so occasionally I try to figure out your obsession with literature. And so occasionally I find the books you get me extremely interesting – but only on rare occasions! I still prefer less book-y things.” He shook his head. “Don’t distract me. Where’s the sun?”

Twilight bit her lip. “I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about. It’s probably still too early in the-”

“Listen to me, mare. The changeling Queen mentioned Nightmare Moon by name! And she mentioned Discord by name! And then something about Big Macintosh... That’s gotta mean something! Hay, Chrysalis shouldn't even be within, like, a lightyear of Equestria! Don’t you curl up in denial, Twilight. I’ve seen you go down that road before; I don’t like it when you get like that.”

She stared at him for a good long minute. His firm stance and stern glare never once faltering. Twilight sighed. “No, no, no, I’m sure everything's fine. Really! The changeling queen probably just lives in this area and we randomly found her nest or something.” She dismissively waved a hoof. “It’s fine, I’m sure.”

Spike stared at Twilight with an utter deadpan. “It is not fine, Twi’. You’re only fooling yourself if you think otherwise,” he said through gritted teeth. “And I know you’re too smart to lie to yourself.”

Twilight glanced back at her reflection, the moon standing in the background above her reflection. The ripples in the surf waved like the ebb and flow of time. Her own mouth closed, the reflection’s opened. “Where did those other ponies go?” her reflection questioned.

The air rushed up through her nose as Twilight threw herself backwards, landing her rump on the hard dirt. “Twilight‽” Spike yelped. Rubbing a hoof over her face, Twilight dared peer back over the pond. “H-hey, snap out of it...”

She shook her head, her reflection mirroring her. “Uh, I’m fine. I’m fine.”

Spike gave her a hard glare. “Twilight?” he asked, suspicion dominating both his tone and face.

Her mental cogs began to process; the well-oiled clockwork ticked away like a bomb. And then the explosion detonated. “Hey, Spike. Is it just me, or did those other ponies seem... familiar?”

He took a moment, tapping a finger to his chin. “Now that you mention it...”

“And where would we have seen other ponies before?”

“Anywhere, but in our case? Ninety-nine percent chance of Ponyville.”

She smiled. “And what direction did they go off to?” Spike shrugged, but pointed east all the same. “I think so too. And where’s the most likely place they’d be going?”

“Well, Everfree forest at night, just fought off changelings... I dunno. A hospital... Zecora’s hut?”

Twilight blinked. “Huh, I wasn’t going for that, but that’s probably a better idea. Maybe they were going to Zecora’s hut–no, wait, that’d still be murder to find.”

“Maybe Ponyville?” Spike offered.

Slowly, Twilight nodded. “I think so too. Or at least maybe Ponyville’s in that direction.”

Spike licked his lips. “I take it you wanna go east and hope to Celestia that we find a way out or something?”

“Read my mind like a book.”