• Published 6th Apr 2015
  • 10,075 Views, 507 Comments

Ponyville Police Department - Omega6047



Policeman and his dog are trying to survive in pony society.

  • ...
72
 507
 10,075

6. Through The Eyes Of A Dog

--Chapter 6--
Through The Eyes Of A Dog

Mischief sat on the back seat of the police car. He was currently enjoying the wind flowing through the opened window; his tongue was sticking out.

He looked at the front seats and saw Revan talking with Walter. He’d never really liked the old man. He was yelling way too much for his taste and always was mean to Revan; not to mention that he stank.

It surprised him that the two seemed to be getting along rather well through the entire ride. It didn’t take them long to get to their destination, which was good for the dog; even though he could sit in the car without any problems, he never really liked it; the sound of engine was really annoying to him.

When Revan opened the door for him, Mischief immediately got out and stretched his body. After he was done, he looked around the area they were in. They stopped at the edge of a road between the corn and rye fields. The air was filled with the smell of farm life that Mischief simply loved. It was very similar to the way Revan’s mother smelled.

He came to Revan’s site and sat there for a few minutes until Revan stopped a car by lifting a stick-with-a-circle-at-the-top up. After a short conversation-


“Dzień dobry, czy wie pan czemu pana zatrzymałem?”

„Eeeeeeeee…”


-Mischief searched the car. The front seats were clear; all he’d sensed was smell of old cigarette. The back seats were completely different story though. What he sensed there, was sperm...

Of a horse…

That was certainly going to be an interesting day.


Other cars he checked weren’t as ‘interesting’ as the first one, but that doesn’t mean there was nothing interesting. For example a car filled with magazines that had few magazines similar to the ones Revan hides under his bed and occasionally reads while doing strange motions with his hand, under the back seat.

Now was time for a lunch break and Revan placed a small bowl on the ground and then filled it with dog food and few pieces of dried meat. As the dog ate, he suddenly felt a strange smell. It was unlike anything he had ever felt before and he felt a need to check it.

He gave Revan a signal that he found something and they both went to check it.


As they were getting closer, the smell Mischief felt was getting more clear. When he found a source of the scent, the dog could recognize the other, faint smell in the background. Something that he would compare to the rotting corpses, not exactly like that, he simply didn’t know anything else to compare the smell to. He also noticed that it was slowly getting stronger.

He stopped right in front of the source of the smell and waited for whatever was to come.

After a few moments of waiting, Revan clearly had enough, he attached the leash and began to walk back to the car. Mischief protested, he knew that something was about to come, and it was close.

Right before Revan managed to force him to go back, the portal opened before them. Instantly Mischief’s nose was hit with the same smell of corpses he was sensing all the time, only this time it was the main smell he felt.

Without even thinking, he fallowed the scent.


After the ride through the portal, the dog was feeling dizzy, he couldn’t open his eyes, but he could clearly sense the scent that he had fallowed.

And then he heard the voice, a female voice to be precise. It was coming from the same direction as the odor, so he tried to move but to no effect. His body felt weak, and soon he fell unconscious.


He was woken up when he suddenly felt a poke at his side fallowed by Revan talking to him.

Mischief slowly began to rise his head up, his vision was still blurry, but he could recognize Revan’s face, and as soon as he could see clearly again he could also recognize the angry look the human was giving him.

Immediately his ears fell down. He understood that he shouldn't run after the scent like he did, but that smell he felt was practically screaming at him.

When Revan stopped murdering the dog with his eyes, Mischief looked around. All around he saw a strange blue wall. What was strange about it, was its smell. Again, something he was unable to recognize, but there was also one more smell. The one that brought them wherever they were.

It was coming from behind of the wall and partly from the wall itself, but this time instead of running forward without any warning, he decided to give Revan a signal.

Mischief turned back, but the human was not there. He looked around, but Revan was nowhere to be found. His panic was rising. Revan almost never leaves him alone. The last time he did that was then he went to the shop where they didn't allow dogs in.

That was months ago and after that visit, he was allowed to enter the shop (he didn't know that, but the shopkeeper was so annoyed by his barking that he just made an exception for him). He could feel his smell but there was no way for him to get to him.

And then he got the idea. He would do what he always does in situations like that.

He will bark.

Barking always solved his problems.

Revan was not on the training ground and he felt alone? He started barking and soon he was living with Revan.

The shopkeeper didn't allow dogs inside the shop? Barking quickly changed his mind.

The man in blue came back? After a daily dose of barking, he was running faster than the eye could see.

Did someone break into Revan's house? Barking probably would work too, but the preferable action was making them think twice before breaking somewhere again; especially when a dog was around.


Barking solved nearly all of his problems and it was about to help him with that one.

And so, he barked, as loud as he could. Revan would hear, he had to hear.

Soon he saw the human he so much wanted to see coming through the blue wall. He would think about that for a second, but as for now, he had other things in his mind. Like for example muzzling Revan's leg.


During the walk around the castle, Mischief couldn’t stop himself from sniffing everything he saw. Wherever he was, the smells of everything around had something different in them. Even the air seemed to have a smell, even though faint.

There was one thing he noticed, however. Everything he smelled so far had something similar. A calming smell that was present in everything around. There were two exceptions, however. The stench that led him here and the blue wall. Those were making him feel sick. When he came closer to the blue wall and took a sniff he almost puked.

The polar opposite of that was the fountain in the large room they entered before going out of the castle. He really wanted to get the better sniff of it, but Revan was heading towards the doors at the end of the room and didn’t let him do that.

As soon as they left the castle, Mischief’s nose was bombarded with thousands of different smells. Most of them were really good, but some of them were similar to the ones that were making him feel sick, only not so intense.

Anyway, he focused much more on those good smells. They were really pleasant, and he wondered what they actually were.

He kept walking at Revan’s site until they reached the wooden bridge. The human ordered him to stay, and so he did. He was a bit nervous about Revan walking away, but as long as he would be able to see him it was alright.

When Revan called him, he didn't waste any second and rushed back to his human. Once they reached the edge of the forest he began to feel the whole new set of smells. Every tree, bird, and bug were practically oozing with it.

A number of different scents he felt almost made him not notice that there was also another smell present, and it was getting closer.

That smell was interesting one, It was coming from two sources very close to each other and it seemed to be a mix of the bad smell coming from the blue wall and good smells in nearly everything else, but after taking a deeper sniff he could tell that it was more like, the bad smell masking the good one.

When the sources got closer he began to feel endangered by them. He growled and barked, to signal whatever was hiding in the bushes to go away.

But it didn't seem to listen and kept walking in their direction.

Soon two large dogs made out of wood emerged from the bushes. For a few seconds of lying Mischief and Revan later, the wooden dogs charged at them, one at Revan and the other at Mischief.

The dog that charged at him tried to bite Mischief's paws, but he dodged the attack and immediately began his counterattack. He jumped at the aggressor's back and bit his neck. That didn't cause the damage Mischief expected it to, and soon he was thrown away by his opponent.

If it wasn’t for Revan’s intervention he would probably be done for, as the wooden dog was already prepared to jump on him.

With that little struggle out of the way, Mischief decided that it would be good to remember that smell. There could be more of them in the forest.


For some time the two kept walking around the forest, and Mischief couldn't be happier. A number of new smells was nearly overwhelming and most of the time he kept his muzzle pinned to the ground. The wind was blowing in their backs.

Eventually, they reached the river and after eating one of the apples Revan found before, they began to walk along the river. The moment they started walking though, they heard the loud screams coming from the other side of the river. There was no way for him to sense any smells from that direction because of the wind, so he decided to simply follow the human's lead.

He jumped into the water along with Revan and swam to the other side. Now when they were closer he could sense that there was something behind the bushes. He shook the water off of himself and then followed Revan.

When the human hid behind the tree, Mischief took position behind him and started to analyze the smells.

There was six of them. Like with nearly anything he smelled before, there was something similar in all of them, but at the same time, each was completely different.

The first one was a strong scent of apples mixed with a smell of dirt, it probably belonged to some kind of farmer. Or someone who is simply addicted to apples, that's an option too.

The second one was actually a mix of many animals: rabbit, dog, cat, snake, sheep… you can name it, it was there. Most likely it was a vet. A cursed being that came straight from deepest pits of hell to bring pain to dogs like him.

The third one was somewhat hard to describe, it smelled much like the air around here did, a clear, neutral scent. It also smelled kinda like a bird. It was hard to tell who could it belong to, most likely someone who owns a bird.

The fourth one was actually a near torture to him. A number of perfumes that this person had used was simply outstanding. Not as much as some of the females that sometimes were performing the mating dance around Revan, but still a lot.


The fifth one smelled like books, but it wasn't what caught his attention. It also smelled similar to the blue wall from the castle. It was similar, but with one major difference – it didn't stank like the rotten meat. The smell was somewhat driving the dog to it, but he managed to get himself under control.


The last one was a smell of pies and treats along with a LOT of sugar. But there also was something else. Something that was causing his head to hurt whenever he tried to think about it. It was like an unanswered mystery that was screaming for him to be answered, but at the same time was doing everything to make him ignore it. Every attempt to analyze the smell in more detail ended up with his head hurting, so after several attempts to get over it, he gave up.

When he noticed that Revan had left his hiding spot, he also stepped forward to see whoever they met in that forest. He expected that he would meet 6 humans but what he saw was 6 small horses.

The one that had a smelled of a vet approached him. At first, he felt pity for the creature. With how intense the smell on it was, it had to spend hours with that sadist. But his pity quickly turned into annoyance when the creature began to pet him and started to talk in a way that small humans often did.

He had no problems with Revan petting him, but he didn’t like it when strangers were petting him. Allowance to pet him was something that had to be earned (preferably with a piece of meat or two).

Even though it was annoying, he didn't bother to move; usually, when small humans would start petting him they would either be stopped by Revan or quickly get bored.

This time was no different. The horse stopped petting him and looked at Revan with the look of pure fear.

After they talked for a bit (Mischief was rather surprised that something that is not a human was able to communicate in the same way) the dog was sure that she would step away from him but the horse continued to touch him.

No, he was seriously getting annoyed. The horse didn't just stank like a vet. It also acted like one.

He managed to stay still, but after about a minute and a half, he was close to getting angry. Luckily, he was saved by Revan, who tapped the vet-horse. Using the opportunity, he walked away and sat at Revan's other side.

Thankfully, the horse gave up and walked back to other horses. Revan talked with them for a bit and nothing really interesting happened, until the book smelling one did something that caused the large amount of the scent that was driving him to come closer the entire time to be released.

Without even thinking he rushed closer. The book-horse tried to step back, but that didn't stop the dog.

When he got close enough, he took a sniff. What he felt nearly blew his mind away. He could not only feel the power oozing from horse’s horn, but also what it felt. And at the moment it was fear and anxiety.

There was more thinks he could feel, but before he got the chance to check them, Revan called for him.

The dog realized that he just made his situation worse and decided to come back to Revan’s site. Before he did that though, he gave a horse a lick in the muzzle, he’d hoped it would help it calm down.

After Revan was done talking with horses, they went back in the direction they came from, which surprised the dog, he thought it would be a better idea to keep walking in one direction.

But then again, he was not the brain of the team.


They were walking through the bridge that the flying horse had fixed. The way back to the castle was surely interesting, not only did they faced that big snake-thing, but also encountered more of the wooden dogs.

Those ones were tougher than the two that Revan killed when they have left the castle. Not that Mischief could have hurt them in the first place. His teeth are not really made for cutting through the wood.

When they re-entered the castle the group gathered near the fountain Mischief wanted to check before. When two flying horses brought down the orbs from the fountain he didn't waste any second and began his examination.

The first smell he felt was the one that could be smelled in every living being he examined so far. On their way through the forest, he realized that everything that lives in this place has a bit of that smell. Even the wooden dogs had it, though in that case, it seemed to be trapped under a large amount of the stench that he could also feel in the blue wall and few places in the forest.

The fact that five stones smelled like they were alive was surprising but there was something else that surprised him more.

During the walk back to the castle he examined smells that horses had. Especially the book smelling one (he didn’t even bother to check the one that made his head hurt and the one that seems to be addicted to the perfumes, there was simply no point). Mischief was surprised that each of them had their own version of that smell.

Different, but still similar (vet-horse and sky-horse had almost the same smell, the main difference was that sky horses was simply more intense).


What surprised him, was that the smells coming from horses were also coming from the stones.

What did that mean though?

Were those horses connected with the stones?

If yes, then why?

And how?

For those questions, he had no answer, but he was keen on finding out.

He didn’t notice when five of six horses left, leaving him, Revan and book-horse alone in the chamber. Revan pulled him back to his side.

The horse was again doing something that made her horn glow and releases that overwhelming smell from before.

For some time he tried to stay in place but it was beginning to get harder and harder with time. He didn’t want to piss Revan off more than he already did, but that smell was simply making him go mad.

In the end, he couldn't resist it anymore. He runs forward and started to sniff at horse's horn. It smelled just like it did before and Mischief started to wonder how does the horn has any taste. It smells nice and so does bacon, so why wouldn't it also taste nice.

He licked the horn with his tongue.

And was disappointed.

It tasted kinda like Revan’s skin. Only it didn’t have that salty taste human had.

Before he could get back to analyzing horn, Revan attached a leash to dog's collar and pulled him away from the horse. For a second he could feel a faint smell, similar to the one that he felt in Revan's room the day after he brought home some human bitch (both of them drunk).

Mischief still wanted to go back to examining the horn but Revan held him close to his site and later tied up the leash to one of the columns in the chamber. He tried to free himself but to no avail. After a minute of struggling, he gave up and just laid down on the ground.

And then, out of nowhere, the large cloud of smoke appeared between five stones. Immediately he felt the smell of rotten corpses that so far only brought trouble. And what's worse, Revan seemed completely oblivious to that.

He barked as loud as he could, trying to warn Revan, but the human just ignored him.

Luckily, book-horse seemed to understand… the problem was that instead of letting Mischief go, and let him deal with it -like he had wanted to- it jumped straight into the smoke cloud.

And then Revan followed…

And now he was alone…


Mischief was running like mad. After vet-horse had released him and he caught a trail of Revan-knows-what he started to follow it, hoping it would lead him to his human.


Horses were also fallowing, the perfume addicted one was having troubles with catching on, yet-horse too, but when it started to fly that stopped being the issue.

As they run, the dog could recognize some of the hallways from when he was here with Revan.

Eventually, they reached the doorway that leads to the stairs. Once apple-horse opened the door, Mischief rushed forward, not bothering to wait for horses. When he was right before the first step, he felt that the plate he'd put his paw on got pushed into the ground, he didn't care about that. Just like he didn't care about metal gate closing behind him, followed by the screams of air-horse.


“YOU’VE GOTTA BE BUCKING KIDDING ME!!!”


Once he reached the top of the stairs, he entered the large room. He could have look around to get a better view, but there was something else that caught his attention.


It was Revan.

And he was fighting with the horse that was twice larger than the rest.

That one was stinking like it had just come out of the grave. Somehow he knew that it was the source of all the bad things that had recently happened.


Revan being mad at him.

Blue wall.

Crying and annoying snake.

Wooden dogs.

Broken bridge.

And a cloud of smoke.


He was about to step in, and help Revan, but then the horse started to quickly disappear and reappear out of nowhere. Each time it would do this, Revan would get hit.

Eventually, horse had stopped and Mischief was preparing to attack. And then he saw Revan flying straight onto one of the pillars in the room. After dealing with initial shock, he runs to his site and began nuzzling his face, hoping he would wake up.


The human weakly opened his eyes for a second but said nothing.

And then Mischief looked at the horse. It was laughing; the voice sounded like the voice of female he had heard in a brief moment of consciousness he had after he jumped into the portal. Book-horse lied near him, rubbing its head.


He looked at Revan.

And then back at her.


She’d caused problems to them.

He will become her problem.


She hurt Revan.

He will hurt her.

Author's Note:

If anyone is confused by Mischief's magic sensing ability, wait till further chapters.
It'll be explained in more detail.

Oh, and I've added 'sex' tag because... well because of reasons.


Song of the day: Disturbed - The Animal