• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 5,364 Views, 397 Comments

The Games We are Forced to Play - Kablam Pony



Connor lived a normal life when a mishap occurs from one of Twilight's projects and she ends up in his back yard. Now being forced to flee the cops back to Twilight's dimension, Connor must make a new life and stop a plot of world domination.

  • ...
26
 397
 5,364

32: Business Practice Disputes

Twilight

Twilight let out a sigh of relief as she set her saddle bags on the bed nearest the writing desk. She was happy to finally get the bags off her back to relax a little from their travels and enjoy being in Appleloosa. Twilight had a bit of a soft spot for Appleloosa; though Ponyville may be her home and she knew Canterlot like the back of her hoof, the ponies of Appleloosa were just more enjoyable to be around with their can-do attitude like Applejack.

“You look happy to be in Appleloosa again,” Applejack commented as she passed by to take one of the beds near the window.

Twilight smiled and nodded, “yes, it’s always a pleasure being here and I really like how this town seems to change and grow every time we come back.”

“You can say that again,” Applejack smiled as she set her own bags down on the bed.

“Whew, I' m beat!” Pinkie exclaimed as she trotted through the door and jumped into the last open bed by the window, “I just managed to find Ms. Jubilee before she went back to her cherry farm.”

“And how did your talk go with Ms. Jubilee?” Applejack asked.

“Oh, it was great!” Pinkie Pie sat up from laying down on the bed, “She thought a 'Cherry changa' would be amazing and she totally wants to start making a recipe for them so we can sell them!”

“That’s great Pinkie! I hope everything goes well.”

“Thanks Twilight,” Pinkie said, “I’m ready to have some fun right now.”

“Everypony finding everything alright?” Braeburn asked as finally stepped into the room with the door closing behind him.

“Yep, everything is going just fine,” Applejack stated happily.

“That good to here. Hey Applejack, it’s been a while since we sat down and shared some stories over a few good drinks. Are you up for it? We can bring your friends along too!”

Applejack hesitated with her response as she glanced at Pinkie Pie and Twilight, “I don't know Braeburn; we just arrived in town and we're all pretty tired. Maybe we can share stories over some food instead?”

“Okay then,” Braeburn submitted but quickly came back with a smile, “I know of a place that serves some really good food not far from the inn! We can go there and share stories; I wouldn't mind hearing some new tales from everypony.”

“WE'RE GOING DRINKING!!”

Everyone paused in their conversation at the sound of their friend proudly declaring her plans for the night. Twilight glanced between everypony in the room with uneasiness as several hoof steps could be heard outside their door and moving away towards the stairs. She listened intently as the hoof steps faded away into the background noise.

“Was that one of your friends?” Braeburn asked the group.

“Yep! That sounded like Rainbow Dash!” Pinkie Pie clarified for the group.

“Do you think we should do something about it, Twilight?” Applejack straightened up like she was ready to chase down Rainbow to stop her.

Twilight hesitated then shook her head, “No, I think she will be fine. She has Connor with her.”

“You think Connor will keep Rainbow Dash out of trouble? Do you remember how wild she gets when dash has a few cider drinks in her?” Applejack raised a skeptical eyebrow at Twilight's faith in Connor.

“Yes, I remember; and that's why I think Connor will be able to stop her before she gets to that point. He is the most mature one out of two, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.” but even Twilight didn’t sound too sure of herself.

Applejack clearly wasn’t convinced of Twilight's argument, but let the matter drop. Applejack wasn't sure how well Connor could hold his drink, but she was sure that he could handle himself in a scuffle or two if it ever came to one. The two went back to unpacking her bags while Braeburn darted between his cousin and Twilight.

“Well then, shall we get going?” he offered to the three mares in the room.

“Yes please! I am super hungry right now!” Pinkie jumped off the bed and tossed her bags in the corner. Braeburn grinned and opened the door to the hallway and waited for everyone to join him.

“I’ll go get Rarity and Spike to join us. They're the room right next to ours!”

“I would just leave Rarity be, Pinkie,” Applejack cautioned, “She probably wants her beauty rest or something after the short walk we had when we got into town.”

Twilight rolled her eyes while Pinkie Pie just shrugged. Once everyone was done setting their bags down, Twilight, Applejack and Pinkie Pie joined Braeburn out in the hall where he waited.

“The place isn’t too far from here. They serve some great baked potatoes with vegetables on the side and drinks are col-!”

“Braeburn!!”

Braeburn paused in his description to look behind him and see who was calling his name. A pony wearing a dusty vest and grease smeared on his face ran up to him with a frantic pleading in his eyes.

“Braeburn, we need your help! There's a problem on the main market street that really needs you!”

“What’s happening?” he asked with his tone turning serious.

“A few ponies from out of town are causing a scene over one of the buffalo tribe's stalls. Little Strongheart is already there trying to talk to them but they won’t listen and say they want to speak to a pony!”

Braeburn nodded to the pony while he turned to face Twilight and her friends with an apologetic smile, “Sorry everypony, but duty calls. I'd hate to leave you all behind like this, but I need to take care of this before it gets out of hoof.”

“We understand Braeburn,” Twilight answered, “But do you think we could come along and see what kind of work you do? I am curious to see what the average day would be for an ambassador of Appleloosa.”

Braeburn gave Twilight an uncertain scowl, “I don’t know; it’s not very exciting work if that's what you are looking for.”

“Oh come on Braeburn,” Applejack stepped in, “It won’t be that bad if we just come and watch. Besides, you can never too many apples helping on one job.” she tipped her hat back.

Braeburn took a second of consideration before smiling, “Alright then, come on everypony! Let’s hurry before we're too late!” he turned around a looked at the pony who brought the news, “Lead the way!”

The pony nodded and galloped back down the hallway with everyone following behind them. The group burst onto the street and thudded down towards the main market street they had just recently walked down.

As the market street came into view, lanterns were just being lit for the night time activities. There were a few ponies doing some late shopping while most were heading into the dining establishments for some dinner. A couple of ponies were finishing putting together their concession stalls for the tournament happening in just a couple of days as the group ran past. Various trinkets and souvenirs were on display as Twilight dashed past the stands, but she didn’t pay too much attention to them.

About three-quarters way down the street, one particular stand was set up with a pair of buffalo selling different wares from their tribe with charms and strings of beads hanging from hooks. A pair of ponies that didn’t look like locals were dressed in some expensive looking clothes and stood on the other side of the stand looking very displeased with the buffalo for some reason. Little Strongheart, who was wearing a few new tribal bracelets and a pendent around her neck to represent her new role as the tribe's mediator, was standing beside the buffalos' stand with look of irritation growing on her face as she tried to keep both groups from attacking each other.

Braeburn and the rest skidded to a stop just outside the arguing group. Little Strongheart looked up to see who had joined the fray and was relieved to see Braeburn there along with some old time friends beside him.

“Braeburn! Thank goodness you came when you did! It has been very difficult to talk with everyone here and I need your assistance.”

“What seems to be the problem?” he asked as he took in all that was happening.

Strongheart opened her mouth to speak but was rudely interrupted by one the ponies from out of town. “We are here to dispute the legality of allowing them to sell their trinkets here while others, such as ourselves, have more important wares to sell.”

Twilight looked at the high class unicorn ponies more closely and recognized the same mannerisms used at the Canterlot castle. Braeburn however, regarded the ponies with growing irritation and directed his full attention to them.

“And would you please introduce yourself, sir,” he asked with an authoritative voice.

“Sir Regal Tongue of Canterlot at your service; and this is my partner, Mr. Graph Sheet. We are important business ponies here trying to get an early start on generating profit for my sports hat company with this new game that has been sweeping the nation by storm.” He spoke with elegant and snooty tone as he introduced himself.

Braeburn mumbled something under his breath that sounded like “Nobles...” to Twilight.

Regal Tongue continued by pointing at Braeburn, “And just who are you supposed to be?”

“My name's Braeburn and I am the acting ambassador between Appleloosa and the local buffalo tribe,” he pointed at his star pinned to his chest, “This here is my partner, Little Strongheart, who was specifically chosen by her tribe as their own ambassador for her great skills at finding compromises. What exactly seems to be the problem?”

Regal Tongue let out a loud scoff while Graph Sheet rolled his eyes, “Please, you 'Ambassadors' think you suddenly have the power to do whatever you please now that you have a title, when really you are just a figure head. I want to speak someone with real authority; a pony with real authority,” Regal Tongue eyed Little Strongheart as he said his last bit.

“Well I’m all the authority you are going to get!” Braeburn snapped sharply. Regal Tongue grumbled to himself while Graph Sheet glared at Braeburn, but the two remained quiet.

“I’ll ask one more time,” Braeburn tried again, “What seems to be the exact problem?”

“I’ll make it simple for you,” Regal Tongue growled, “I do not want some buffalo selling their useless things in a pony town.”

Applejack finally had enough of listening to the conversation growing worse and worse with every passing moment and stepped forward to say a few choice words.

“What makes you so special that you think the buffalo don’t get the same opportunity as you, huh?!”

“Applejack...!” Braeburn warned, but the regal tongue was already responding to Applejack's challenge.

“Because, my fellow pony, the buffalo are not as sophisticated as we are when it comes to business. There is a reason some of us ponies have become owners of large and profitable businesses, such as myself,” he replied smugly while turning his nose to the sky.

The two buffalo standing behind their stall growled angrily and stomped the ground in retaliation. Their glares held fiery anger within them as they prepared to charge the disrespectful ponies. However, Little Strongheart was quick to jump between them and the ponies and worked to calm them down before anyone did something to worsen the situation.

“See what I mean? They are unsophisticated compared to us. Therefore, I believe my business is more important here than theirs is.” he turned to look at Applejack and Pinkie Pie standing off to the side while he motioned the buffalo Little Strongheart was still working on restraining.

It took regal tongue a moment, but he quickly recognized princess Twilight standing there alongside Applejack.

“Princess Twilight! Surely you can agree with me that these wild cows don’t belong here with their useless beads and dream catchers?”

“Wild cows?!” she almost screamed disbelievingly.

Twilight stared agasp at him. She couldn’t comprehend the amount of insensitiveness coming from this one pony. She understood that it was statistically possible to meet somepony with these kinds of viewpoints on the world, but she had always hoped that she may never run into a pony like that. Did he not understand that she was the princess of 'Friendship' and not the princess of 'Business that benefits only them'?

Pinkie Pie took this opportunity of silence from everypony to try her own way at cheering everyone up. “I know! How about we try singing a song! Or maybe we could play a game together and forgive each other for being rude!”

Pinkie Pie wore a hopeful smile but was only met with peculiar looks from the Canterlot unicorns and apologetic stares from her friends.

“I don't think a song would be good right now, Pinkie,” Twilight put a hoof on the saddened mare's shoulder, “These ponies are going to need a bit more than that before we all become friends.”

“Yeah, they're going to need more than just a song to get better when I’m through with them,” Applejack growled in a threatening tone as she glared at Regal Tongue and Graph Sheet.

Braeburn took a step between Applejack and Regal Tongue with a hard expression.

“That’s enough, Applejack!” he barked.

He stared at Applejack iron determination and she slowly backed down from her fighting stance. Once she was subdued, Braeburn went back to face the Canterlot newcomers. He squared himself with them and brought himself to his fullest height before addressing them again.

“I don't care who you are or how big your company may be, but I will not have the buffalo move their business elsewhere for the sake of a few ponies.”

It was Regal Tongue's turn to gape. “What?! B-but I have important hats to sell and profits to make! My company has sold several million sport hats to fans all over Equestria and I demand to have my business unobstructed by them! If my demands are not met, then I will leave and this town will not get its portion of my sales during the event!”

“Then I guess you will just have to find somewhere else to sell your goods,” Braeburn stated matter-of-factly.

Regal Tongue stared in amazement for a split second before snorting in disgust and turning away with humph. Graph Sheet followed after his superior as the two headed back for their room at a local hotel; but not before Regal Tongue could get one last word in before he left.

“I swear, I will take this up with the mayor of Appleloosa and I will have my demands met! You have not heard the last of Regal Tongue!” he shouted over his shoulder.

Braeburn grunted at his exit before turning back to Little Strongheart and the buffalo.

“Thanks for your help, Braeburn,” the older of the two buffalo said.

“Yeah, that guy was a jerk!” the older one nudged the younger forcing him to be quiet.

Braeburn chuckled, “No worries; he'll have a nasty surprise when he finds out sheriff Silverstar is the one in charge and is the one who made me to be one of the ambassadors between the tribe and the town.”

“You’re not afraid that sheriff Silverstar will go against your decision and let those ponies stay?” Twilight asked apprehensively.

Braeburn shook his head, “No, the sheriff and I have dealt with these kinds of ponies before in similar situations. Every time ponies said they would go to the sheriff, he and I would talk about what happened and would agree that I made the right choice and would turn down the ponies making crazy demands or threats.”

“Thanks again for your help Braeburn,” Little Strongheart added with a smile, “I have been arguing with those two ponies for over half an hour when you showed up.”

Braeburn chuckled and tipped his hat, “Aw, it was nothing. You would do the same for me if it was someone from the tribe.”

“Well, I must return to the tribe. I have something that I must attend to before it is too late. Have a good night everypony!”

Everyone waved a goodbye to Little Strongheart as she disappeared into the night. Braeburn let out a tired sigh and returned to face his cousin and her friends.

“I’m sorry you had to see that everypony,” he lowered his gaze, “And I’m sorry for yelling at you Applejack. I know you meant well, but I needed to keep the situation under control; not make it worse by beating ponies up.”

“I know,” Applejack forced out through her tight jaw, “But I still have half a mind to chase after them and teach them a lesson!”

“Well that wouldn't be very nice! I mean, I know those ponies were a bunch of meanie pants, but that's no way to make friends.” Pinkie Pie finally spoke up from the heavy atmosphere.

Braeburn nodded in agreement, “While I may not want to make friends with them, I don't want to give them something to use against us if they decide to take this higher than sheriff Silverstar. Being the middle pony between two groups is not easy and there are a lot of hidden rules you have to play by.”

Applejack sighed in defeat as she accepted his explanation. “Alright then, I trust you Braeburn to make the right choice.”

“Thanks Applejack,” Braeburn smiled, “Maybe now you would like that drink that I offered earlier?”

Applejack grunted, “I think now would be a good time for that drink.”

“Are you going to be okay Applejack?” Twilight asked cautiously, “You won't go overboard like Rainbow Dash, right?”

Applejack giggled, “I’ll be fine, sugar cube. I’ve got more control than Rainbow does when it comes to drinking. Besides, Braeburn will be here to make sure that I don't, just in case.” she gave Twilight a wink to reassure her.

Twilight grinned at her friend, “Okay; how about we all meet back at the Inn in an hour?”

“No problem,” Applejack waved a goodbye, “I will see everypony in an hour. Now about that drink?”

Braeburn and Applejack left for a local bar leaving Twilight and Pinkie Pie still standing there in the street. Twilight let out a frustrated and exhausted groan. Listening to those ponies talk about how much better they were mentally drained Twilight and she needed some relief herself.

“Hey Twilight, are you okay?” Pinkie Pie asked, “Do you want to do something fun to get your mind off of today?”

Twilight nodded tiredly, “Sure Pinkie. Did you have something in mind to do?”

“Well, we could walk around town again! I know I saw a few shops that I haven’t visited yet and I would love to see what they sell!”

“Sure Pinkie, that sounds like fun,” Twilight turned around to face down the main market street again, “Why don't you lead the way this time.”

“Sure thing! Oh boy, I can't wait to check out apple store over there, and the pie store over there, and the shovel store waaaaaaay over there…!”

After an hour of exploring Appleloosa again, Twilight and Pinkie Pie headed back to the inn with higher spirits. Pinkie Pie knew exactly how to cheer Twilight up as they explored the town with cracking jokes and her crazy antics to make some great laughs. Twilight was glad she knew someone like Pinkie Pie to lighten her mood whenever she was feeling down about something; especially after the fight with regal tongue.

They arrived at the inn just as Applejack and Braeburn were about to enter through the front door. Twilight and Pinkie Pie ran to catch up before they disappeared inside.

“Hey Applejack, you have a good time?” Twilight watched for any signs that might indicate her friend being intoxicated.

Applejack glanced over her shoulder and grinned, “Yeah, it wasn't too bad. It was nice to sit down and share stories with Braeburn again. How was your time?” her words were clear and without a slur.

Twilight relaxed and grinned too. “It was alright. Pinkie and I walked around town a little bit and explored some of the new shops.”

Braeburn nodded, “well, I’ll leave you girls to it,” he started heading for the door, “I won't be able to see you again until the tournament since I will probably have some paper work I need to fill out after tonight's argument. But you can all check out the playing field where everypony is competing tomorrow if you like. The pony behind the bar can point you in the direction of the fields if you’re interested. Have a good night everypony!”

They all waved goodbye to Braeburn and started heading towards the stairs near the back of the inn. Everyone was tired after today's events and Twilight could hear her bed from her room calling her name. The three walked down the hallway to their room and opened the door. Twilight paused to listen for sounds coming from Connor and Rainbow's room across from theirs. But the room was silent, indicating that they must have gotten back before they did. She shrugged and felt her eye twitch little from sleep. She rubbed at it to make it stop as she entered her room with Applejack and Pinkie Pie following behind.

She slowly climbed in bed and blew out the lantern on the writing desk to darken the room. Applejack did the same with the lantern on the window seal and the room fell into darkness. Twilight laid in bed and pulled the covers over her and let herself drift off to sleep with plans of seeing the playing field tomorrow form in her mind.

Author's Note:

Wow, stereotypical racist asshole is stereotypical; but still a racist asshole.

A much darker tone compared to last chapter, but this is something I wanted to bring in. you can't tell me that racism is not a thing in this world when Twilight and the rest of the main six flipped out over zecora. So I see it logical that some ponies outside of Appleloosan culture and its mutual relationship with the buffalo tribe would see the buffalo as inferior.

I know some of you do not care for reading the 'deleted scenes' that I make, but this one I would recommend checking out if you want something to brighten your mood after reading this. I debated back and forth with myself over whether or not I should have kept the deleted scene in as part of the chapter, but settled on making it a deleted scene for a final decision. I promise this deleted scene will not be a gore filled one or some other 'M' rated material. It’s just Twilight jumping to conclusions too quickly and leaves her in a bit of an awkward situation.

Anyways, hope everyone is having a good holiday and you're welcome for busting my ass to get this out to you all before/during Christmas (or whichever holiday you celebrate; it’s cool with me).

Onto the next chapter!

Edit: update on when next chapter will arrive here.