• Published 2nd Apr 2015
  • 2,926 Views, 19 Comments

Rainbow Rises - Trinary



A retelling of the Season 4 episode "Rainbow Falls"

  • ...
2
 19
 2,926

Ponyville

PONYVILLE

Rainbow Dash tried to convince herself of what she’d spoken to Spitfire about--that this didn’t matter to her friends the way it did to her. But then she thought of something else. She recalled back when she was a little filly, hearing the news about the Games. Then she pictured Scootaloo in her place, waving a little Ponyville flag--only to have Rainbow Dash flying for Cloudsdale. What would that say, to a filly, about her? That her hometown wasn’t good enough for Rainbow--Scoot’s hero--that she had to fly for another town? One Scootaloo couldn’t even reach on her own?

Spitfire seemed to pick up on Rainbow’s inner turmoil. “Something up, Dash?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow exhaled. “I’m going to fly for Ponyville.”

“What? Why?” Spitfire looked confused. “Your friends are fine with you flying with us.”

Rainbow Dash just nodded “I know they are. They’re awesome like that,” she pushed her goggles up on her forehead. “But it’s about more than that.”

Spitfire adjusted her own goggles to look Rainbow squarely in the eyes. “So you’re not doing this to make your friends happy?”

Dash shook her head. “It’s not that … okay, yeah being with my friends is a big deal to me. It makes everything seem … I don’t know. Flying with you and the Wonderbolts would be awesome. You guys are my heroes--but it’s just another day for you guys. I’d have nopony to share the experience with. My friends would be happy for me, sure, but it’d better if they were happy with me.” She ran a hoof through her mane. “But that’s just part of it. The Equestria Games is the chance to show all of Equestria not just how awesome we are--but a chance to show how great the hometowns that raised us are.”

She looked over, spotting the Ponyville flag fluttering in the breeze. “I love Cloudsdale, and I always will. But Ponyville’s my home now.” She looked back to Spitfire. “Ponyville is the place that brought the most amazing ponies together--earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi. I can’t think of any other place where I would’ve met the best friends a pony could ever have. That’s what makes it special. And after everything Ponyville’s done for me flying for them would be the least I could do to pay them back. I’d get to represent Ponyville and show all of Equestria just how amazing it is. And the only thing that could make that better would be having my friends there to chip in and help.” She regarded Spitfire. “My friends said that part of friendship is putting your friends’ needs ahead of your own wants, and they were right. I can make the most difference flying for Ponyville. You can find another pony to fill my spot and still qualify easy. But Ponyville won’t. I’m needed there. This is what I have to do and what I want to do: celebrate my home and the ponies who got me this far. Because without them … I’d be nothing.”

“But—who’ll fill your spot then?” Spitfire asked, looking around. “The other Wonderbolts are still signed up for other events.”

Rainbow had half an idea forming--which more than she usually had. “Well, seems to me that what you need is another Academy flyer…and I think I know just the one.”

She told Spitfire her idea. The look on Spitfire’s face was incredulous. “Her? Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow nodded with a grin. “I’m sure.”


Rainbow dabbed the sweat from her beaming face, flush with victory. She hugged Fluttershy and Derpy close as they celebrated. “We did it! WOW!” Fluttershy cheered with abandon.

“You did it! You’re going to the Equestria Games!” Rainbow turned just in time to be hugged by Twilight--who was showing her support by wearing a rainbow wig and wearing one of Pinkie’s cheerleading outfits. I have the best friends EVER. Her smile only got wider as Applejack trotted over bearing a cart of apple muffins (for Derpy) and sweet apple cider (for her. All for her).

She watched Pinkie setting up a “Ponyville Qualified for the Equestria Games!” party and Rarity sketching out a few new designs for their uniforms--grateful that Rarity had managed to crash out a better design than the ‘white dress and flowers’ thing she had first came up with.

Rainbow’s happiness reached Sonic Rainboom-levels when she spotted Spitfire, Fleetfoot and Soarin’ (his wing still in a cast) looking her way. Spitfire nodded and the trio gave her a crisp wing salute. She returned it, her heart almost bursting with pride.

“Rainbow Dash?” She then turned around to see the Wonderbolt’s replacement flyer standing awkwardly behind her.

Dash noded slowly. “Hey Lightning Dust.”

The normally brash flyer seemed tentative, almost furtive in talking to her. “I—I just wanted to say thank you,” Lightning rubbed her hooves together. “For talking to Spitfire. I don’t know what else to say—”

“You don’t have to say anything,” Rainbow extended her hoof. “We both got to fly and do what we love to do. And we’ll get to do it again in front of all of Equestria. The important thing to remember is that it isn’t just about us. It’s about being part of something greater: a team, a town…” she looked over to see Fluttershy and Derpy being raised up by the others. “Or a group of friends.”

After a brief hesitation, Lightning nodded and reached out with her own hoof. The two athletes shook, understanding flashing between them.

I used to think that being the Element of Loyalty meant that I had to always be there for my friends. And while that’s a big part of it, it’s more about being true to who you are. I was frustrated that my friends didn’t get how big a deal the Equestria Games are to athletes like me. But I forgot that the Games aren’t just about the athletes either—it’s about the places they came from, the homes they represent and the values they taught us. Flying in the Games wasn’t enough—it was being a representative of the place that made me who I am. Not to brag or to boast, but to share what made Ponyville special. Because if it wasn’t for Ponyville, I wouldn’t have my friends with me and I wouldn’t where I am today.

-Rainbow Dash

THE END