• Published 12th May 2012
  • 2,803 Views, 71 Comments

FedEx 715 - BronyPilot



A calm evening for a routine cargo flight quickly takes a turn for the worse...

  • ...
6
 71
 2,803

Emergency Landing

Chapter 5: Emergency Landing




“Ok what do I have to work with?” said the captain as he fought to keep the 777 in the air.

“Engine 1 is down, with engine 2 trying to compensate. We are slowly losing Hydraulic pressure to the elevators as well…”

“What?! How did that happen?”

“I don’t know. After we got hit twice by whatever hit us, its been affecting the systems. Apparently its damaged the hydraulics for the tail end of the plane and its slowly depressurizing.”

“I thought these 777s had three hydraulics systems?!”

“They do. Whatever hit us damaged all three to the point that we will soon have almost no control over the tail and elevators. However, we could try deploying the RAT*. I don’t know if its damaged but hopefully its not and we’ll get control back.”

At this, Captain Beckham sighed and replied, “Even if the RAM still works, with that engine down as well I find it in best interest if we find a spot to set down this bird.” First Officer Roberts somberly nodded at this in agreement. Both of them knew they needed to land the crippled plane, and both of them wished there would at least be a decent landing strip to land on. About one minute later Roberts exclaimed, “Captain over there!” Beckham looked in the direction Roberts was pointing and saw a fairly large field of grass next to a large forest and apple Orchard. It looked fairly flat, though because of the heavy rain and wind they had no idea what to expect in terms of actually landing on it.

“With all due respect Captain, before we keep looking I’d say lets try our luck on that field. From what I can tell it’s our best bet. Plus that the hydraulic systems for the elevators are nearly depleted and if I don’t cut them off soon, we won’t have enough pressure left in the system to use the spoilers, gear, and flaps.” The Captain looked over at his First Officer and stared at him for a few seconds before nodding in agreement and giving instructions.

“Cut off the hydraulics to the tail section and deploy the RAT. Make sure that the RAT is giving us control over those systems before we continue. Afterwards, get us on a decent for that field and set speed and lower flaps accordingly. Also, set maximum braking. I don't know how slippery this is going to be but I don’t want to take any chances.”

“Agreed,” replied Roberts as he triggered the RAT and cut off the main system to the tail. Lights on the RAT switch indicated that it was working properly. The First Officer nodded to the Captain to try out the elevators and tail. They barely worked, but it was something. As they descended further, the lower altitudes began to throw winds against them, causing the craft to shake violently and move similar to a roller coaster. As the field came closer, they began to lower their flaps and speed as if they were preparing for a normal landing. Roberts said a quick prayer as he attempted to deploy the landing gear. Luck must have been on their side because the gear deployed very slowly because of the decreased hydraulic pressure, but deployed and locked nonetheless. As they lowered the 777 further and deployed full flaps while arming the spoilers, a sudden wind slammed into their right side and began to push the aircraft off course. The Captain and first officer fought against it putting the 777 into a dangerous crosswind situation, with the nose pointing around 70 degrees to the left of the direction they were traveling. As the 777 neared the muddy ground, both pilots said their prayers to their families as they were unsure what would befall them.




---------------------------------------- A few minutes earlier -----------------------------------



Twilight watched in horror as the metal beast closed in on her friend. Dash, coming out of her shock and realizing what was happening, attempted to fly away from the approaching machine. However, because of the speed the craft was moving combined with her late decision to move, her attempt was futile. The nose of the winged giant slammed into her side knocking her above and to the right of the machine. As all of her friends witnessed this happen, one particular lavender unicorn shouted, “NO!” and without thinking fired two balls of magic at the machine as it moved away from the crime scene. To her satisfaction they both had a direct hit: The first damaging a barrel-like object hanging from the left wing and the second hitting an are toward the back under another set of smaller wings and a giant purple fin with the words ‘FedEx’ painted in white and orange. The machine did not seemed harmed by it though as it continued on its way to some unknown location. But now she had other things to worry about as she caught the body of her falling friend in her magic aura and sat her down on the wet ground softly. Twilight was devastated. Her friend was out cold with a large bruise forming on her right side. All Twilight could think right now is it was partially her fault for sending Rainbow up there. But, another part of her screamed that her decision was very minor and that most of it was at the fault of...um… What do you call it? It flies and it seems to be a metal machine so I guess that it fits under the category of a flying machine. Why didn’t I think of this earlier? That did not matter now. She needed to track down the flying machine and get help for Rainbow.

“Rarity, you, Pinkie, and Fluttershy take Rainbow to Ponyville medical where she can get some needed attention.” Her friends nodded solemnly as they hoisted RD onto their backs and trotted quickly to the hospital. “Applejack, we are going to go find that thing and figure out where it came from and why.”

“Twi, ah know what yer thinkin, an’ ah’m pretty sure that what happened was unintentional.” Twilight ignored AJ’s comment and started trotting in the direction where she last saw the machine disappear off to. Applejack slowly followed her friend and began thinking of what to do if Twilight lost her temper whatsoever the circumstances.

********************************************************

The landing was hard. The main gear slammed into the wet ground like a rock and the airplane began to slide out of control at 160 knots. The pilots desperately fought to keep the 777 straight while slowing down as well. It had rained so much that the brakes did not do much help. They engaged reverse thrust on engine 2 and compensated for the sudden power pulling the aircraft to the right. Both pilots noticed that the forest in front of them was coming up fast. They both slammed on the rudder pedals to activate the breaks and thus put on a bit of over-breaking to help stop the aircraft. As the aircraft neared the forest it finally got to controllable speeds as it slid one last time to the left and stopped just ten feet from the edge of the trees. The pilots sighed in relief and began their shutdown procedures and started the APU to give them some power while they discussed further plans.

“So…what now?” Roberts asked.

“Well, I’d say we evacuate the aircraft. No idea what might happen after we got hit by… what did we get hit by?” the Captain inquired.

“Beats me, though evacuating does sound good for now except for one thing. Where are we going to stay?”

“Tell me John, did you ever take up Boy Scouts when you were young?”

“Yeeeeeaaaaaaaah, why?” The First Officer looked at his Captain who was giving him a grin that said ‘your going to hate this idea but it's a good one’.

“You ever complete the ‘Wilderness Survival’ merit badge?”

“uh…” John never did that particular merit badge but he knew that some of his old friends did it and he remembered what they had said about the requirements and trials they had to go through. He admitted it: John’s idea was great; but at the same time it was crazy. “I didn’t do that particular one, but I think being in scouts enough is good for what your thinking.” Roberts pointed out.
“Good. Then gather what you need and lets ‘abandon ship’ so to speak.” Replied the Captain. The pilots performed final securing procedures finishing with shutting of the battery and began to collect what they believe they needed to take with them. As they made their way to the door, Roberts opened a final compartment to check for anything and found something interesting. A Desert Eagle with a box of ammo. He tugged the shirt of Captain Beckham and showed him the firearm. Beckham’s eyes grew wide and he quickly said, “Take it. We don't know what’s going to happen out there.” The First Officer grabbed the DE and its little box of ammo and stuffed it into the briefcase he brought onboard that day. Beckham did the honors of opening the door and releasing the emergency slide, which they both promptly slid down with their stuff and ran a little ways into the forest. The fog was still a bit dense in this area but they decided to stop and rest around some bushes where they still had view of their aircraft, but were out of sight from anyone looking into the forest from where the 777 was standing. The pilots agreed that this was the most challenging thing they came across; for that day. They guessed that from here on out, nearly everything is going to be complicated and challenging.

*Ram Air Turbine